GDT: Blues vs Yotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Toropchenko loses his stick in the O-Zone, grabs a Coyote's stick for a holding penalty. Blues must kill off a penalty half in this period, and half on the fresh ice at the start of The 2nd.
That is exactly what I was wondering!!! Looked like he lost his stick and tried to grab a Yotes' stick.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I never like to complain about a road win but that one got a little too close for comfort considering how dominant the Blues were in the first 2 periods. CB was talking about turnovers and being soft in the D-zone in the 3rd but HE is the one who put 25 right back on the ice after that horrible turnover.

The thing about Kyrou that really aggravates me outside of the turnovers is his lack of competitiveness. He gives up and coasts and mistakes dont seem to faze him. You see players make that same turnover where they get stripped of the puck inside their own blueline all the time but most try to aggressively get back and disrupt any scoring chances. He just coasted and on the goal 44 seconds later he was found coasting again. He has the speed to get back and disrupt plays, he chooses to give up on them instead.

Maybe the Play-Offs bring a better compete level to his game but Im not seeing it. I think if any player gets hot in the Play-Offs that's not been playing well it will be O'Reilly. He's been slow with the puck this season. Im not worried about his speed--he's slow--but I am worried about his decision making with the puck and lack of execution. Im hoping the new season, different style of play more suited to him and adrenaline will help him focus.

We shall see.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I never like to complain about a road win but that one got a little too close for comfort considering how dominant the Blues were in the first 2 periods. CB was talking about turnovers and being soft in the D-zone in the 3rd but HE is the one who put 25 right back on the ice after that horrible turnover.

The thing about Kyrou that really aggravates me outside of the turnovers is his lack of competitiveness. He gives up and coasts and mistakes dont seem to faze him. You see players make that same turnover where they get stripped of the puck inside their own blueline all the time but most try to aggressively get back and disrupt any scoring chances. He just coasted and on the goal 44 seconds later he was found coasting again. He has the speed to get back and disrupt plays, he chooses to give up on them instead.

Maybe the Play-Offs bring a better compete level to his game but Im not seeing it. I think if any player gets hot in the Play-Offs that's not been playing well it will be O'Reilly. He's been slow with the puck this season. Im not worried about his speed--he's slow--but I am worried about his decision making with the puck and lack of execution. Im hoping the new season, different style of play more suited to him and adrenaline will help him focus.

We shall see.

I was going to say something similar. Kyrou has been extremely frustrating lately and has been a major liability on the ice. He makes mistakes at the worst moments and doesn't seem to have very good hockey sense, as he often loses the puck just inside the blue line at both ends. And I've never seen the puck roll off a guy's stick unchallenged as much as Kyrou, as we saw on the turnover that led to Arizona's 2nd goal (and handed the momentum to them). Not a fan of his attitude either, as you said he seems too casual and passive and rarely shows any sort of fire. I am concerned that one of his untimely mistakes will burn us in the playoffs, but I'm sure Berube knows Kyrou will have to be sheltered heavily.

I know he's got all the offensive talent in the world, but if they decide to trade Kyrou in the next year or two I wouldn't be that upset. Salary will have to be cut after next season one way or another, and trading Kyrou while his stock is high could be one way to achieve that. His skillset doesn't really fit in with the unselfish, hard-working identity of this team.

Reactions: Ridge1982

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I might be alone in this opinion, but the Blues MVP this year is 72. Thomas, Vlad, and Buch have the benefit of each other’s talent and chemistry.

Faulk is +41, for crap’s sake. (I know, i know, +/- and all that.) His partner is +23. He is only 26 seconds behind Parayko in TOI per game, and gets 2.5 minutes more than Krug. That tells my simple brain he is used in more situations than the “sheltered” label that second pairing has gotten. 15 G and 30 A from the blue line.

And he stands up for his teammates and isn’t afraid to mix it up.

DA picked the right guy to be in our core, and he is our MVP.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
And here is what I want to see out of the last 3 games:

Schenn pots one
Saad pots two
ROR pots 3
Krug gets 1
Walker nets 2

If this were to magically happen, we would have 6 25+ goal scorers, a top 9 full of 20 goal scorers, and 13 double digit goal scorers.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Finally, last post in my morning after push after not staying up to watch a west coast game on east coast time…

Dak Joshua should be our 4th line center for at least the next two seasons. I would love a 3 year, 4 mil contract for the guy this off-season. (If DA could get cheaper than that for same length, all the better.)

I have grown quite fond of the fella. A great combo of grit and hockey IQ, playing a simple and predictable game. I will probably be put in poster purgatory for citing +/- twice in a matter of minutes, but his +6 outpaces everyone he has been paired with this year. We could do much worse.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
I might be alone in this opinion, but the Blues MVP this year is 72. Thomas, Vlad, and Buch have the benefit of each other’s talent and chemistry.

Faulk is +41, for crap’s sake. (I know, i know, +/- and all that.) His partner is +23. He is only 26 seconds behind Parayko in TOI per game, and gets 2.5 minutes more than Krug. That tells my simple brain he is used in more situations than the “sheltered” label that second pairing has gotten. 15 G and 30 A from the blue line.

Tarasenko is the MVP, he elevates any line he is on. Thomas Kyrou, Barbi Buch, now Thomas Buch. Faulk has been an amazing 2nd pair dman though.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Browns been looking great in these last few games
I'd like to think that when the Blues played him through the benchmark for forfeiting that 4th rounder, he gained some confidence. It had to feel a little like winning a bet against him making it that many games. Good for him. I really thought he had zero chance to become a regular at the time of the trade, but I think he could carve out an NHL career yet.

If he can go to the Sammy Blais school of becoming a skilled bottom 6 player who isn't afraid to play like a plug, I think he'll have a real career.

Reactions: eibyyz

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

Faulk and Vladi have been the best this season

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Tarasenko is the MVP, he elevates any line he is on. Thomas Kyrou, Barbi Buch, now Thomas Buch. Faulk has been an amazing 2nd pair dman though.
Not discounting Vladi’s value and he might be my favorite Blue ever. But think back to Parayko’s, Scandella’s, Mikkola’s, etc. struggles at different parts of the season. And how the Blues never fell out of this spot in the division through all of that. Faulk has been an anchor from the puck drop of game 1 that afforded the coaches and the rest of the D core time to figure their shit out.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I agree that Faulk has been amazing and he had a very strong season last year as well. It’s crazy how night/day he is now compared to his first season as a Blue. I’m sure coming on to a team that just won the cup and then you have snobby Petro most likely giving you the cold shoulder.

It feels like he’s been better this year than any season Petro has had here. He’s faster, has a better shot, much more physical, and I haven’t seen any consistent mistakes on either side of the puck.

For MVP it’s really tough to call that one, I might go with Husso just because how important the goaltending position is. Assuming Binnington would have never found his game with more starts, the whole Blues team would be less confident and have a lot less wins/individual points!

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
RIP Robert Thomas’ 15-game point streak
Thomas' 16 game point streak:

undertaker-the.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad