GDT: Blues vs Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Solid win against a weak team. They could have mailed it in and lost it. So, I'm satisfied. Backes, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Oshie, Stastny, Steen , Pietrangelo, Lehtera, and Shattenkirk all played well. Jackman and Jaskin, as well.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
so the blues win 5 straight in December, then schwartz goes down and the blues lose 7 straight. schwartz comes back and the blues win 5 straight again. now i know correlation does not imply causation in all situations but i find it hard to believe that's a coincidence.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't like that they coasted in the 3rd. A couple goal lead can disappear fast. They didn't let up against SJS or ARI. Jets lost their game the other day because they squandered a couple PP and the ducks came back from a 2 goal deficit. Bury teams...

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
yeah I agree. Both guys are approximately on the same level so you play whoever is better. And Butler was absolutely atrocious last game, hence Cole

No, as in Butler IS better and has also been playing better.

I don't hate Cole or anything, and this is just my opinion, but I simply think that he's just not good enough. I just don't think he has it. Nothing that I have seen from him has really impressed me. Butler on the other hand has impressed. That's just me.

We'll see.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't like that they coasted in the 3rd. A couple goal lead can disappear fast. They didn't let up against SJS or ARI. Jets lost their game the other day because they squandered a couple PP and the ducks came back from a 2 goal deficit. Bury teams...
If the Blues really wanted to they could probably beat Edmonton 10-0.

The Oilers are so bad, there's no reason to go all out in a game against them. This isn't a measuring stick game or anything, it doesn't matter if it's sloppy. All that matters is the 2 points.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
No, as in Butler IS better and has also been playing better.

I don't hate Cole or anything, and this is just my opinion, but I simply think that he's just not good enough. I just don't think he has it. Nothing that I have seen from him has really impressed me. Butler on the other hand has impressed. That's just me.

We'll see.

I don't know how you could watch that game Butler played vs. CAR and not think benching him for the next game was the best option

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
disclaimer* I like Jake Allen - this comment is not about Allen

So those who were saying Elliott should have had that Skinner goal, do you think Allen should have had that one? honest question

Being the biggest Elliot supporter on this board, I say no. Too hard to stop a Jeff Skinner shot when he's got that type of time and space. Now Allen on the other hand absolutely should have had that. I'm being sarcastic guys, just trying to have fun.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Cole and Butler are pretty much equal in my eyes, whoever is playing better should get the start, Butler was atrocious last game so obviously Cole should have been in. Either way its a good sign when the main thing Blues fans are worried about is our #6 Dman.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Backes throws the t shirt into the netting and then double face palms. Need a gif of that.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I don't know how you could watch that game Butler played vs. CAR and not think benching him for the next game was the best option

Because I think he's better than Cole.

Pietrangelo has had a ton of bad games, but he's better than Cole, so we play him (I know that's a bad analogy, but you get the point). Because I think that Butler is better than Cole, one game doesn't really change my mind about who I'm sending out there next game.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Because I think he's better than Cole.

Pietrangelo has had a ton of bad games, but he's better than Cole, so we play him (I know that's a bad analogy, but you get the point). Because I think that Butler is better than Cole, one game doesn't really change my mind about who I'm sending out there next game.

it's fair enough. if you think Butler is better than Cole we will just have to agree to disagree. IMO Butler and Cole are both roughly equally mediocre.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Bet it all on Blue again, trying to build that Vcheddar back up to the 500 mark.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If the Blues really wanted to they could probably beat Edmonton 10-0.

The Oilers are so bad, there's no reason to go all out in a game against them. This isn't a measuring stick game or anything, it doesn't matter if it's sloppy. All that matters is the 2 points.
That's true, but you go back to those 3 games, the Blues looked like they wasted less energy crushing those 2 teams, they started to chase the puck in this one.

As you said, 2 pts is 2 pts but it just makes me think they'll slip into a bad habit of coasting to victories.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's hard to blame the Blues for having a mental letdown in game 43 up 3 with less than 2 minutes left against a team that simply isn't competitive with them right now. Even the most hardened competitors are unlikely to be going to be full-out at that point.

The Oilers scored, the Blues re-focused and closed it out...move on to the next one.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003

They may have coasted, but they still had a strong forechekck when they needed to. I'm okay saving the gas for a Kings or Ducks game, but you have to do it responsibly. A strong forecheck is a must to be able to contain the opponent, and that's what the Blues did tonight where they, and so many other teams don't. A strong 2-1-2 at times kept us safe, even if we weren't using the afterburners.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I look forward to Thursday when we actually get to play a competent team. This run against bad teams is masking some issues that are still very present.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Decent effort, I wish Ryan Reaves wouldn't decline a fight w Luke Gazdic a half dozen times when we play the Oilers

We don't need Reaves breaking his hand on that good in a meaningless game vs a bad team.

ps- This is coming from somebody who likes fights too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad