GDT: Blues vs. Jets| BSMW, 6pm|

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
This is what I mean. You dont critique a goalie by looking at the stats at the end of the game. Not a single goal scored tonight was because of a bad play by Binnington but your stat sheet doesn't show that and if that's how you want to enjoy games then so be it but you're really missing out.
2nd goal he was flopping around like a fish out of water.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
2nd goal he was flopping around like a fish out of water.

Sealing the goal post and then trying to dive across to stop a shot because the rest of the entire team can't stop a bouncing puck? Sure let's blame him for that. Do we also blame Kyrou for causing us to be short a man during that play because he was to slow getting off the ice?

JR1

Dec 22, 2016
3 of 4 points for the weekend is good but anytime you lead after 2 you should win. second time in a few weeks they've blown a lead in the 3rd period.

goaltending was very mediocre today and mediocre goaltending never gets the job done in this league.
Your schtick is getting old.

Reactions: Blueston

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Your schtick is getting old.
so is the subpar goaltending from #50. he got outplayed by Hallebuck today, plain and simple.

his last quality start vs a good team was against dallas on 1/9

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
yep, scandella was the worst player on the ice by a mile.
He's rusty from having been out 11 games. But, he's paid too much for the way he plays, anyway, and The Blues need an upgrade, getting a top 3 level LHD to team with Parayko, in any case (with Scandella's salary as part of what goes in the other direction.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Anything is better than a shootout. Even ties.
I'd be fine with 5mins of 4v4 followed by 5mins of 3v3. if nobody scores then nobody deserves the extra point IMO

but i doubt they will ever get rid of the shootout now, pandoras box has been opened.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
3 of 4 points for the weekend is good but anytime you lead after 2 you should win. second time in a few weeks they've blown a lead in the 3rd period.

goaltending was very mediocre today and mediocre goaltending never gets the job done in this league.
I thought you weren’t watching?

Reactions: Reality Czech

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Missing two of our best players and got outplayed. Not going to stress over this one. Third line was really bad. On a positive note I've been impressed by Toropchenko.
Yeah, brown doesn’t need to be playing. Would rather dress Walman. Hopefully brown keeps working on his game and can help next year.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd be fine with 5mins of 4v4 followed by 5mins of 3v3. if nobody scores then nobody deserves the extra point IMO

but i doubt they will ever get rid of the shootout now, pandoras box has been opened.
7 minutes of 4 on 4, and if no team scores, it's a tie. Nothing wrong with hard-earned ties. It's better than gimmicky non-team sports like shootouts and 3 on 3.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Maybe he wouldn't have had to flop at all if the team had any idea what the hell this thing called "team defense" is.

The team didn’t play perfect but that doesn’t excuse Binnington over playing so many chances.

He plays with zero confidence so he’s over compensating all the time.

It’s not good. Hopefully he can turn it around at some point but he should barely be getting starts

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This game could have been a LOT worse.

For a team that totally obliterated us on FO's, we held our own and the score only shows a chunk of that.

91, 10 and 57 scored which is always awesome. Converted on a PP too and didn't allow a PP goal, which is even better.

The blueline desperately needs a pure top 4 dman on the left side to galvanize the D. A good part of our scoring is contributed to by the effort of the dmen and the insane amount of sheltering is opening up the chances that get converted, especially on the opposition's PP. Pleasantly surprised that didn't happen today.

Binny hasn't played in damn near a dozen games, so I expected rust. I also expected the team in front to help him and they didn't do much of that. He played better than most will give him credit for.

The sky isn't falling and the dream isn't dead. We're skating in with a Cup to our name looking for a second one. We got our Stanley Cup Winning Netminder on the roster and a rising goalie in Husso who is earning his way to becoming a bonafide Starter. For those who are complaining about netminding being the problem, it really isn't.

The team in front is very bipolar and on some days they are The Bluenote of Death to any team they play and on the next they forget who they are. It's not a single player problem in that regard but if we're going to require players like Faulk, who is playing well above his skillset and Krug, who is doing his damnest to be a point machine to also contribute to scoring with the forward lines, then they need a player who can shelter and anchor the lines. That single player will make all the difference and will immediately return us to contender status.

Right now our status as contender vs pretender really depends on the mood of the team on a particular day. We watched the Rags destroy them and then watched our boys come back recently and wreck the Rags right back.

I look to my Cup Ring sitting on the shelf and smile. Our window is very much open and there's nothing negative to imply on the future of this team. Army, my friend, do some magic, get us what we need so we can hoist the Cup again. That, bartender, I want a double of.

I Believe in the Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
having a top pairing D on the ice as much as Parayko is that won't reliable pass to the opposing team would help a lot.
It would help and I am not saying we shouldn’t acquire a top D, but until our forwards start putting in the work in the defensive zone, getting a top LHD won’t solve all our defensive problems.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Yeah, brown doesn’t need to be playing. Would rather dress Walman. Hopefully brown keeps working on his game and can help next year.
I wouldn't put it all on Brown. He and Barbashev looked pretty good with Saad just last game.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The team didn’t play perfect but that doesn’t excuse Binnington over playing so many chances.

It’s not good. Hopefully he can turn it around at some point but he should barely be getting starts

To be fair he hasn't played in almost a dozen games. You're going to have rust and sitting him isn't going to magically help him get better.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Saying the team didn't play perfect is like saying a hurricane might put a damper on a picnic.

The team doesn't play, and hasn't played, anything resembling average defense. The only reason the Blues are doing anything is from Husso playing at a Vezina level in spite of the team in front of him, not because of nor in conjunction with. As much as you don't think you should excuse Binnington's play because of the team in front of him, I'm not going to excuse this team being in the same conversation as the Arizona Coyotes and Montreal Canadiens in terms of team defense.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
To be fair he hasn't played in almost a dozen games. You're going to have rust and sitting him isn't going to magically help him get better.

I get it but it’s not like this is his first rodeo. I really didn’t think he’s played this bad all year. Some of the losses were on the team. He just doesn’t look solid at all. He’s fighting almost every save or opportunity.

I’m cheering for him and especially for the next 5 years but I wouldn’t be playing him now unless necessary

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
We have the 3rd best record in the conference. We have issues, but expectations around here can be ridiculous.

Overall I agree. Great Expectations is one of my favorite books! However, in previous seasons we have had great records and after 2019 I think collectively we have a better idea of what it takes to get 16 wins.

I dislike the incessant pessimism as well so I feel you. The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde routine this team has been doing all year certainly feeds into both sides Imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad