GDT: Blues vs. Jets| BSMW, 6pm|

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Overall I agree. Great Expectations is one of my favorite books! However, in previous seasons we have had great records and after 2019 I think collectively we have a better idea of what it takes to get 16 wins.

I dislike the incessant pessimism as well so I feel you. The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde routine this team has been doing all year certainly feeds into both sides Imho.
Our intensity does seem to waiver against lesser teams, but thankfully we are unlikely to face devils or sens in playoffs. I would expect we have another gear in reserve and effort in playoffs won’t be issue.

Even though I am confident that we are good team, we do have issues at 1LD and in our 4th line that need to be addressed if we are to reclaim Lord Stanley’s Cup. I’m more concerned with what Army does over next week or so than whether we lose in 3 on 3 ot to some 3rd rate team.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I get it but it’s not like this is his first rodeo. I really didn’t think he’s played this bad all year. Some of the losses were on the team. He just doesn’t look solid at all. He’s fighting almost every save or opportunity.

I’m cheering for him and especially for the next 5 years but I wouldn’t be playing him now unless necessary

Look at the D-Unit the year we won the Cup and compare it to the one we have now. Our need for sheltering as heavily as we need to with the players we have is the problem.

Husso is on a really great redemption hot streak and that's hiding a lot of the sins.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I thought the Blues played fine on a back-to-back.

I still think they had a mental lapse for 5 minutes or so after Kyrou got smoked where they were in disarray. That cost them the game IMO. The Jets are a better OT team. In the playoffs that won't matter.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Re-watched the game this morning before leaving for work and can't say enough about how well Toropchenko is filling the roles he's been asked to play on the 4th line. He's a Russian missile out there. (Is it currently politically correct to say that)?..
He's doing the things we hoped to see from Kostin but doing them consistently.
Not sure what his ceiling could potentially be as far as producing offense in the future, but he seems to have enough skill to couple with his work ethic to be a fixture on the roster for the foreseeable future. Another nice mid-round find by Bill Armstrong.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Re-watched the game this morning before leaving for work and can't say enough about how well Toropchenko is filling the roles he's been asked to play on the 4th line. He's a Russian missile out there. (Is it currently politically correct to say that)?..
He's doing the things we hoped to see from Kostin but doing them consistently.
Not sure what his ceiling could potentially be as far as producing offense in the future, but he seems to have enough skill to couple with his work ethic to be a fixture on the roster for the foreseeable future. Another nice mid-round find by Bill Armstrong.
No no no....it's Torpedo.

You know how we love to make up violent Russian nicknames.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
No no no....it's Torpedo.

You know how we love to make up violent Russian nicknames.
Now I'm picturing Berube shouting "fire the torpedo!" when he wants him on the ice in Homer Simpsons voice from the episode where he joins the Naval Reserves and is appointed "Captain" while the actual Captain is troubleshooting in the torpedo shoot. LOL

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Now I'm picturing Berube shouting "fire the torpedo!" when he wants him on the ice in Homer Simpsons voice from the episode where he joins the Naval Reserves and is appointed "Captain" while the actual Captain is troubleshooting in the torpedo shoot. LOL
I remember years ago at training camp at the Mills he and Kostin showed up. Everyone was fixated on Kostin. I liked what I saw in Toropchenko. Very tall and an excellent skater. I figured he would be good if they handled him right. I'm glad it all worked out.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I remember years ago at training camp at the Mills he and Kostin showed up. Everyone was fixated on Kostin. I liked what I saw in Toropchenko. Very tall and an excellent skater. I figured he would be good if they handled him right. I'm glad it all worked out.
Seems like the writing was essentially on the wall for Kostin when we inked Toro last month. I still think Kostin has a decent box of tools and a future, perhaps with a team in rebuild mode where he's able to play higher in the lineup rather then relegated to bottom 6 role player type minutes.
I'm not sure how his value is viewed by other teams around the league, but even we if get nothing more than a mid-level prospect or mid to late round pick for him it's not much of a loss, considering at the time Sunny was viewed as the throw in for the Reaves deal.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Seems like the writing was essentially on the wall for Kostin when we inked Toro last month. I still think Kostin has a decent box of tools and a future, perhaps with a team in rebuild mode where he's able to play higher in the lineup rather then relegated to bottom 6 role player type minutes.
I'm not sure how his value is viewed by other teams around the league, but even we if get nothing more than a mid-level prospect or mid to late round pick for him it's not much of a loss, considering at the time Sunny was viewed as the throw in for the Reaves deal.
I really think Kostin is our prospect that's going in the package to another team for a Top 4 LHD. Something like Kostin, 1st rounder, Scandella.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Our intensity does seem to waiver against lesser teams, but thankfully we are unlikely to face devils or sens in playoffs. I would expect we have another gear in reserve and effort in playoffs won’t be issue.

Even though I am confident that we are good team, we do have issues at 1LD and in our 4th line that need to be addressed if we are to reclaim Lord Stanley’s Cup. I’m more concerned with what Army does over next week or so than whether we lose in 3 on 3 ot to some 3rd rate team.
I'm concerned that as well, and also with which goaltender will be starting most, or all games for The Blues in The playoffs.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Toropchenko's got a lot of the qualities to be a good power forward. He's got upside. He just needs to be molded.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I really think Kostin is our prospect that's going in the package to another team for a Top 4 LHD. Something like Kostin, 1st rounder, Scandella.
If Army pulls that off and Neighbours and Bolduc are left untouched it would be amazing, but also not surprising. I don't want to move either of them for anything at this point unless it's for a can't miss LHD prospect that would be an anchor on the blue line for the next 7-10 years.
That scenario in itself is quite unlikely since they are a coveted commodity and typically taking longer to develop, reaching their prime years between 26-34, depending on how soon they are able to carve out a regular role in the lineup.

This is one reason why I'm bullish on giving up on Mikkola. He's 25 but still in his first full season as an NHL regular. He may not ever be a top pairing guy. But with continued development he could be a top 4 and a very well rounded player by the time he's 27-28.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Army pulls that off and Neighbours and Bolduc are left untouched it would be amazing, but also not surprising. I don't want to move either of them for anything at this point unless it's for a can't miss LHD prospect that would be an anchor on the blue line for the next 7-10 years.
That scenario in itself is quite unlikely since they are a coveted commodity and typically taking longer to develop, reaching their prime years between 26-34, depending on how soon they are able to carve out a regular role in the lineup.

This is one reason why I'm bullish on giving up on Mikkola. He's 25 but still in his first full season as an NHL regular. He may not ever be a top pairing guy. But with continued development he could be a top 4 and a very well rounded player by the time he's 27-28.
Army was able to protect Kyrou and Thomas during the RoR talks. I have zero worry about him being able to protect Bolduc and Neighbors in these talks.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I think so too and I'm ok with this. If we have to add one more pick or minor part to get that legit LHD, then do it. Paulie Walnuts might hate 'Satanic Black Magic' but I'm hoping Army can do some more Blue Magic for us.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Exactly how I feel. Was always a fan of Toropchenko and always had him in my Blues top-5 prospects list. Alexandrov is next.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I think so too and I'm ok with this. If we have to add one more pick or minor part to get that legit LHD, then do it. Paulie Walnuts might hate 'Satanic Black Magic' but I'm hoping Army can do some more Blue Magic for us.

Was just thinking about this: Say Army pulled some Blue Magic and managed to get us Lindholm from Anaheim. How do we fit his contract under our cap? Who would we ship off or move? I know there are rules to this and I have no idea what they are, so... I ask :)

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

One major silver lining to Mikkola failing to seize a top 4 role this year is that his next contract should be affordable. He has arbitration rights, but he is the type of player that will struggle to build a case in arbitration if he's not playing top 4 minutes. He doesn't score much, his possession stats are brutal (arguably/probably due to defensive usage), and his TOI is currently as a clear #4/5 D (4th at even strength, 5th on the PK). If we add a guy and keep him down on the bottom pair, then his ATOI for the year will be under 17 a night by year's end. Suddenly his best argument at arbitration goes away.

He's 1 year off from UFA eligibility, his QO is around $800k, and I doubt he can get an arbitration award above $1.5M. He doesn't have much leverage to take a 1 year deal to walk straight to UFA. We have a good chunk of leverage to try and get an affordable 2 year deal that would still let him hit UFA at 28. His career earnings are less than $2M at this point and turning down a guaranteed $3-4M on a 2 year deal to get to UFA quicker is a risky play for a guy who will only have about a 100 NHL games on his resume by the summer.

Let's say we get Sanheim and then sign Mikkola to a 2 year deal to use as a 4/5 D. Scandella becomes fully expendable with Mikkola absorbing his usage for less money. If you want to take a run at extending Sanheim, Mikkola's contract would either be moveable or would be cheapish 3rd pairing depth for year 1 of a Sanheim extension. If Sanheim prices himself out, you hope that Mikkola is ready to slide into that legit top 4 spot by 2023/24 in year 2 of that 2 year deal. I think it is reasonable to think that Mikkola can take another step by the time he's 27, so running Mikkola-Parayko in 2023/24 could be a legitimate top pair.

As nice as it would be to solve the LD hole for 3+ years, there is reason to believe that he can eventually fill it if we can get it plugged for this season and next.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Was just thinking about this: Say Army pulled some Blue Magic and managed to get us Lindholm from Anaheim. How do we fit his contract under our cap? Who would we ship off or move? I know there are rules to this and I have no idea what they are, so... I ask :)
This year?

Anaheim can retain 50% and then we can free up the necessary space by either placing Sunny on LTIR or moving Scandella.

An extension?

Fitting him next year would be fairly simple. Moving Tarasenko and Scandella would free up the necessary space to extend him and still be in talks with Perron/Husso. Both Perron/Husso would have to walk if we wanted to consider keeping Tarasenko. We're squeezed next year, but not so badly that we couldn't fit in his extension.

It's the following season that would see the major casualties of an extension. Several guys are due raises and taking another $7M of space off the board long-term will prevent those. Barbie is gone and then you'd have to let go 1 of ROR, Kyrou, and Thomas. I don't think there is much of a chance that we re-sign Tarasenko, but a Lindholm extension closes the door on that thought.

Schenn, Faulk, Krug, Parayko, Saad, and Binner all have full NTCs at that point and are realistically not moveable. Buch's 12 team NTC would make him moveable, but we absolutely shouldn't move him. That's $42.3M in 7 guys. A Lindholm extension gets you to $49M(ish) on 8 guys. Thomas and Kyrou will be getting no less than $7.5M each and will likely be higher. That's $64-68M on 10 guys. The cap should be $83.5M for 2023/24, so that leaves just $15.5-19.5M to fill 13 roster spots. Even letting ROR, Barbie, Tarasenko, Husso, Perron walk off the roster, you are already tight.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->