Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Ducks| Half-assed slumpbuster|4pm

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Of all our problems, Husso is pretty far down the list.
Id argue it has more impact than most realize and it affects binnys play.when binny debuted in the 2018-2019 season, he came out on fire the first 2 months then cooled off a little at which point they gave jake allen a few more starts giving binny a little more reat til they leaned in heavily during the playoffs. Binny started out the 2019-2020 season on fire the first 2 months shouldering a heavy workload before his play started to deteriorate the rest of the season, we started giving allen a few more starts resting binny more, then binny rebounded the last 9 starts of the season.

This season, binny started out on fire again until the workload caught up to him again.

I think there is a trend and that is that binny is ironically just like allen. He can be great in short spurts but he cant handle the workload of a starter taking 80% of the starts as his play starts to deteriorate. Now if we had a competent backup like allen, not only would allen play better than husso, we would start allen more than we start husso. Additionally, more rest would might result in seeing a better binnington. Running binny out everyday has a trend of his play decreasing but management feels obligated to do it cuz they dont trust husso.

Unless you have an elite guy, its best to go with tandems like we did with allen/elliott and elliott/halak. It worked well for us for many years. Leaning too heavily on 1 guy can have bad results if they cant handle the workload which we saw with allen and are now seeing with binny.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
bring up hofer ... mr. do i look nervous is a flash in the pan .. he is not elite and that contract is brutal

mother f***er caught fire and did the impossible ... but he is not the long term answer

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The Blues haven't scored more than 2 goals in Binnington's last 6 starts and are 1-5 over that stretch. You won't win many games scoring 2 goals or less, so I'd say that's a much bigger issue than goaltending. Sure he's let in a few soft goals, but our offense has been far too weak to give us a chance to win many games. Where are Thomas, Schwartz, Schenn, Hoffman, Perron lately? At least Tarasenko looked like his old self for once.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
bring up hofer ... mr. do i look nervous is a flash in the pan .. he is not elite and that contract is brutal

mother f***er caught fire and did the impossible ... but he is not the long term answer
So, you're throwing in the towel on the playoffs this year - right? Because throwing all your playoff hopes on a kid who's 20 and hasn't played in a game in over a year [no, he still doesn't have a game logged at Utica] and whose qualifications for being thrown in are everyone else sucks, Hofer was on the taxi squad and he's got potennnnnnnnntial, he's the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuture screams desperation and "we don't care about making the playoffs this season." The kid might be good, he's not the second coming of Ken Dryden in any fantasy scenario.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The only defenseman who suited up for Blues yesterday that played in Game 7 of Stanley Cup Final in 2019 was Torrey Krug. Hat tip to Andy Strickland for that tidbit.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Yea I mean when you think about it, why did we win the Cup? We had an Elite D. Now we legit have zero of those players left on some nights. Crazy how fast the league can change. It's no wonder we look so lost in the defensive zone all year. We have an entirely different defense.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yea I mean when you think about it, why did we win the Cup? We had an Elite D. Now we legit have zero of those players left on some nights. Crazy how fast the league can change. It's no wonder we look so lost in the defensive zone all year. We have an entirely different defense.

What Was the goalie sv % during our cup run? I feel like we needed .930 to win every game and that hasn’t changed.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
This team's offense dried up right around the time Tarasenko came back. I think we need to switch up the lines and go back to what was working earlier in the season:

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou

That should be our top 6 for the next 2-3 games. Sanford is garbage, but that line works when he's on it. Kyrou needs to find his magic again, and putting him back in the spot where he had the most success is beneficial to the team. I'd probably run a bottom 6 of:

Hoffman-Bozak-Thomas
Clifford-DLR-Tarasenko

Or:

Hoffman-Thomas-Tarasenko (This line would either be amazing or dogshit, there's no inbetween)
Clifford-Bozak-Blais/whomever

Either way, our offense has looked like shit since Tarasenko came back and we started trying to plug him straight into the top 6. Our bottom 6 has been garbage most of the season, thanks to Thomas' ineffectivness and the injuries to Steen/Sunny/Barby - what used to be a huge strength of ours has been lost b/c DLR/Dakota Joshua/Nathan Walker/Austin Poganski/Sammy Blais et all are pretty sub replacement to replacement level players. We used to get huge value out of our bottom 6 but now they can barely tread water. We need to work on changing that, b/c as it stands our top 6 for the most part has done it's job.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
What Was the goalie sv % during our cup run? I feel like we needed .930 to win every game and that hasn’t changed.
Binnys sv% was only .914 in the playoffs that year. Our opponents goalie had a higher sv% almost every round but we were outshooting and outscoring our opponents.

Binny had a .935ish sv% his first 2 months that year to get us back into race but the last 2 months before the playoffs it was somewhere around .912 that year as well.

We had elite defense and didnt need elite goaltending. We don't have elite defense anymore.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
So, you're throwing in the towel on the playoffs this year - right? Because throwing all your playoff hopes on a kid who's 20 and hasn't played in a game in over a year [no, he still doesn't have a game logged at Utica] and whose qualifications for being thrown in are everyone else sucks, Hofer was on the taxi squad and he's got potennnnnnnnntial, he's the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuture screams desperation and "we don't care about making the playoffs this season." The kid might be good, he's not the second coming of Ken Dryden in any fantasy scenario.
lol how do you know this ? you a goalie guru or something ? .... the season is shit anyway and mr . nervous is not stealing any games ... you come off like you know everything ... take a breath

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
lol how do you know this ? you a goalie guru or something ? .... the season is shit anyway and mr . nervous is not stealing any games ... you come off like you know everything ... take a breath
So, we're just throwing in Hofer for shits and giggles because ... why the f*** not. Not like we might f*** up a goalie's mentality by shoving him into a no-win situation where others have high expectations both for this season and for his future by setting a bar of "look, this other schmuck we put in was lights out and now he's an overpaid turd; lead the way kid - if you screw it up, we'll know you don't have the mental toughness to do it and you were really going to suck anyway and we can move on to the next young netminding hope and see if they can do any better." Nah, let's lob him in and see what the hell happens.

This sounds like a great idea. f***, let's drag up Neighbours, Tucker, Laferriere and anyone else under 21 who's had no pro experience because other guys on the roster are playing like dogshit. What could possibly go wrong?

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
lulz f***ing anthony stolarz with shatt dueces on the backend .. gtfo

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm not ready to throw a young promising goalie to the wolves and potentially screw up his game mentally. If the Blues were playing absolutely amazing offensively and defensively every night but the goalies were being atrocious, ok cool, but it's the whole team.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
So, we're just throwing in Hofer for shits and giggles because ... why the f*** not. Not like we might f*** up a goalie's mentality by shoving him into a no-win situation where others have high expectations both for this season and for his future by setting a bar of "look, this other schmuck we put in was lights out and now he's an overpaid turd; lead the way kid - if you screw it up, we'll know you don't have the mental toughness to do it and you were really going to suck anyway and we can move on to the next young netminding hope and see if they can do any better." Nah, let's lob him in and see what the hell happens.

This sounds like a great idea. f***, let's drag up Neighbours, Tucker, Laferriere and anyone else under 21 who's had no pro experience because other guys on the roster are playing like dogshit. What could possibly go wrong?
why not ... whats going right ?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
This team's offense dried up right around the time Tarasenko came back. I think we need to switch up the lines and go back to what was working earlier in the season:

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou

That should be our top 6 for the next 2-3 games. Sanford is garbage, but that line works when he's on it. Kyrou needs to find his magic again, and putting him back in the spot where he had the most success is beneficial to the team. I'd probably run a bottom 6 of:

Hoffman-Bozak-Thomas
Clifford-DLR-Tarasenko

Or:

Hoffman-Thomas-Tarasenko (This line would either be amazing or dogshit, there's no inbetween)
Clifford-Bozak-Blais/whomever

Either way, our offense has looked like shit since Tarasenko came back and we started trying to plug him straight into the top 6. Our bottom 6 has been garbage most of the season, thanks to Thomas' ineffectivness and the injuries to Steen/Sunny/Barby - what used to be a huge strength of ours has been lost b/c DLR/Dakota Joshua/Nathan Walker/Austin Poganski/Sammy Blais et all are pretty sub replacement to replacement level players. We used to get huge value out of our bottom 6 but now they can barely tread water. We need to work on changing that, b/c as it stands our top 6 for the most part has done it's job.
Tarasenko has been point per game since he returned and he scored a big goal last night? Thomas has also been one of our best players.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
look i respect binny for what he did ... but he sucks and is not worth that contract

6 mill a year to be average ... :dunce:

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Does anyone else reading this board feel like I do?
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad