Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Canucks Wednesday 26/02/2014 @ 7:30 PM Rogers Arena - SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I don't think it's about motivation, I think it's just a very basic psychological strategy. If these players do enough pushups they'll be more focused on every little detail of getting their shots on net to the point where it will be more instinctive in games.

I can't believe I'm having to even explain this. Why is such a thing even an issue?

Maybe doing push-ups has absolutely no effect on the players, but I'm pretty sure not making them do push-ups isn't going to gain their respect or admiration more to the point of better shooting efficiency either.

So what is the point of it if it may or may not have any impact on their shooting efficiency? Sounds like a pretty pointless "strategy".

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So what is the point of it if it may or may not have any impact on their shooting efficiency? Sounds like a pretty pointless "strategy".

Do you only do things in life if there is a guarantee they will work?

I still can't believe I'm having this discussion. :laugh: I'm having to defend such a normal, common practice.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The Canucks had a -10 goal differential in the 3rd period last season and the 24th best winning % when leading after 2 periods; they were hardly the 3rd period warriors you're suggesting. That continued into the playoffs where 3 of their 4 losses involved them blowing leads in the 2nd half of the game.

Sure when they were an elite team they were dominant with the lead, but those days are long over.

They also were without Kesler for the majority of they year and he's a huge part of their shutdown game.

But you're right, this is the 2nd year where they have trended down by period. Before that they were on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Probably comes down to the fact they're just not a very good hockey team any more. I just don't buy into the notion Tortorella thinks he just needs to teach 'situational awareness' to a veteran group that has already been an elite shutdown team in recent years.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't think it's about motivation, I think it's just a very basic psychological strategy. If these players do enough pushups they'll be more focused on every little detail of getting their shots on net to the point where it will be more instinctive in games.

I can't believe I'm having to even explain this. Why is such a thing even an issue?

Maybe doing push-ups has absolutely no effect on the players, but I'm pretty sure not making them do push-ups isn't going to gain their respect or admiration more to the point of better shooting efficiency either.

It's definitely not a big issue. I just don't understand why coaches do it.

Players are having a hard time hitting the net or getting good shots off. Instead of practising and fixing the problem through teaching, he gets the team to do push ups? The players want to hit the net and score. I don't see how this will fix the problem.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Do you only do things in life if there is a guarantee they will work?

I still can't believe I'm having this discussion. :laugh: I'm having to defend such a normal, common practice.

No, because you can't guarantee many things....especially in professional sports, but there is more risk of losing respect of players for making them all do pushups (which is usually reserved for children) just because they miss the net with a shot....because its a pretty stupid concept to think that punishing the entire team when one person misses the net will increase shooting efficiency.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
No, because you can't guarantee many things....especially in professional sports, but there is more risk of losing respect of players for making them all do pushups (which is usually reserved for children) just because they miss the net with a shot....because its a pretty stupid concept to think that punishing the entire team when one person misses the net will increase shooting efficiency.

It's all a conspiracy to get everyone to waive their NTCs. Ya heard it here first.

Wetcoaster

Pretty scary that Tortorella had the Olympic break to think and plan to right the good ship SS Canuck... and this is what he came up with. :shakehead

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
It's all a conspiracy to get everyone to waive their NTCs. Ya heard it here first.

OR...it was just a poorly thought out coaching tactic.

Pretty scary that Tortorella had the Olympic break to think and plan to right the good ship SS Canuck... and this is what he came up with. :shakehead

And he had a nice long break during his suspension to work on solving this vexing problem. Alas, no answers were found.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity

it just one practice.........I sure something else will done later on. Could be a joke for revenge against Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad