Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Canucks Wednesday 26/02/2014 @ 7:30 PM Rogers Arena - SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

cMon, that's straight from the Bill Laforge book of coaching tactics
Look how great he was
LaForge was a "PHD" legend.

All Tortorella needs is a powder blue polyester suit to complete the transformation.

6573493.jpg

It has to rank up there as one of the worst coaching hires in NHL history.

Part of the irony was there was another young coach under consideration at the time who was passed over in favour of LaForge - Mike Keenan who would be hired by the Flyers and take them to the Cup Finals as a rookie head coach.

For you young 'uns and those who have blocked that coaching era from your mind, check this out:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1400087

Here is a post I did previously:

The Vancouver Canucks hiring Bill LaForge as head coach out of junior for the 1984-85 season. He survived 20 games as coach, posting a record of 4-14-2 before being fired. He predicted that the Canucks would win 50 games in 1984-85 when he took over. At that rate he would have achieved 50 wins... in about 3 seasons.

Here's a two-fer... first round pick JJ Daigneault on crutches at the Draft greeted by the very temporary head coach Bill Laforge rocking the polyester suit. Laforge looking like he had another rough night and his first (and last) training camp had yet to open.

6573493.jpg

He treated the players as if they were juniors and he was younger than some of his players. Goalie Richard Brodeur led the revolt.

In training camp, he divided his team into three squads - Pride, Hustle and Desire. The players wore T-shirts emblazoned with a single letter indicating their allegiance. At the end of the day, the losing team had to doff skates and run a mile back to the motel in full gear.

"Why punish a guy because you lose a scrimmage when you've got a bunch of rookies around you and all that?" Brodeur said. "Come on. It didn't go very well with the guys, but that's the way LaForge was. I'm sorry for the loss, but I was not on very good terms with that guy."

The day before his final game as coach, he introduced a new wrinkle. Most of the players lined up two yards apart and four feet from the boards. Then the other players had to skate from one end of the line to the other while their teammates tried to run them into the boards.

The Canucks were the most penalized team to start the season but LaForge said this publicly:
"If anyone could turn this team into a good team, he'd be a magician," the coach says. "There are some guys who put on a helmet, but now they're putting on a hat with a feather and some flowers in it."

Here is how one of his junior players described LaForge's methods:
"He gets you under his thumb and intimidates you. He kind of belittles you. That's his whole style of game. He wants to be in control all of the time. You quickly find out that there's a right way, a wrong way and a Bill LaForge way." - Martin Wood, 20, former goaltender of the Western Hockey League's Regina Pats and Kamloops Junior Oilers

You can see how a 33 year old rookie coach might have some problems with established NHL'ers with such an approach.

LaForge was great with slogans while with the Canucks that he would post:

"Too hurt to play, too hurt to stay"

"PHD - pride, hustle and desire."

"Enthusiasm is contagious (and so is the lack of it)."

"Less thunder in the mouth, more lightning in the wrist."

LaForge wanted every Canucks player to play a physical game and fight - however the Canucks had finesse players such as Thomas Gradin, Patrick Sundstrom and Tony Tanti on the roster. Not really a strategy that works. You might be able to run over teams in junior by stocking up with goons but in the mid-1980's in the NHL with the Oilers in ascendency, good luck.

Thomas Gradin, "I don't think we have the kind of people to play that kind of game."

As Al Strachan would note after he was fired under LaForge "PHD" really stood for "Punishment. Harassment. Discipline" or perhaps "Pain. Humiliation. Defeat."

For his part LaForge maintains he was right all along in his approach to NHL players. When Pat Quinn took over as coach he had this to say:
"The only thing I did wrong was not make them (Canucks) run two miles instead of one. I was totally right in what I was doing and they were totally wrong. The players weren't ready to make a commitment. Now they've got a guy like Pat Quinn behind the bench. Pat's a nice guy, but look at the team."​

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
looks like torts pushing the team hard in practice.....I sure he has readjusted his coaching strategy and hope the team answer back.....

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 3h
torts making entire team do push-ups when someone misses net with shot. #Canucks

Ugh, from Olympic hockey back to this garbage again. :facepalm:

What is this guy thinking?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Anecdotes are great and all, but after seeing your top players fall off a cliff for the 1st time in a half dozen years, maybe you need to reconsider the methods to your madness. The Canucks have spent a lot of time and resources in fatigue management - just saying things like 'it's crap, I don't believe that nonense' without anything to back it up seems more than a little pig headed.

Kesler can probably handle the minutes much better than the twins, due to his age, build and effortless skating. But giving those minutes to 33 year olds that don't skate nearly as well is probably a recipe for trouble.

Tortorella talked about needing to reconsider some of things he was doing and the time off was good for a little self reflection. I'm hoping he was alluding to this area of the game. There is simply no excuse for this group to be one of the worst 3rd period teams in the NHL - especially when you consider how dominant they were under AV. Chalking it up to the team needing to learn 'situational hockey' also seems a bit odd when you consider it's a veteran group that was nothing short of dominant with the lead over the previous 3-4 years...

I don't think Torts fully understands how much physical abuse the Sedins have taken over the years, and continue to take under his minute heavy regime.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
looks like torts pushing the team hard in practice.....I sure he has readjusted his coaching strategy and hope the team answer back.....

torts making entire team do push-ups when someone misses net with shot. #Canucks

That's a lot of push up...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I really don't understand how this would motivate them to shot better. It's not like they are missing on purpose.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I know the boys will be pump for this one

we are just like 2012 La kings all we need is johnson for carter type of trade

my prediction
4-2 nucks
goals

nucks:
d sedin
kassian
kesler if he plays/schroeder
h sedin

stl
oshie
roy baby!!!!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
What kind of shape do you guys think Kesler will be in, physically and mentally, after the Olympics? I think his performance post Olympics will be the biggest factor in how the Canucks do down the stretch. Nevermind physically, if he's mentally bogged down after another disappointing loss to Canada I think the team will officially go down the tube.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
"Quick! Let's run the new coach out of town before he makes us do more pushups. Pushups are the worst thing ever."

Get ****ing real

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
What kind of shape do you guys think Kesler will be in, physically and mentally, after the Olympics? I think his performance post Olympics will be the biggest factor in how the Canucks do down the stretch. Nevermind physically, if he's mentally bogged down after another disappointing loss to Canada I think the team will officially go down the tube.

Drained, depressed and damaged probably.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I know the boys will be pump for this one

we are just like 2012 La kings all we need is johnson for carter type of trade

my prediction
4-2 nucks
goals

nucks:
d sedin
kassian
kesler if he plays/schroeder
h sedin

stl
oshie
roy baby!!!!

I think it will be 4-2 as well. I hope we just play normal here and get healthy then enter the 8th seed for the playoffs. Hopefully we make a mega deal like I heard about a few days ago. Go in hard in the playoffs and if it doesn't work then we get younger and take time to get this team back to contender mode. AND NO RENTALS!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
"Quick! Let's run the new coach out of town before he makes us do more pushups. Pushups are the worst thing ever."

Get ****ing real

Tell me about it! If the players are anything like some of the fans in this thread then no wonder this organization is a country club! :laugh:

Yeah, what is this coach thinking making his players do push-ups?? That's unheard of!

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Tell me about it! If the players are anything like some of the fans in this thread then no wonder this organization is a country club! :laugh:

Yeah, what is this coach thinking making his players do push-ups?? That's unheard of!

It's pretty common in minor hockey when dealing with kids.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Tortorella talked about needing to reconsider some of things he was doing and the time off was good for a little self reflection. I'm hoping he was alluding to this area of the game. There is simply no excuse for this group to be one of the worst 3rd period teams in the NHL - especially when you consider how strong they were under AV. Chalking it up to the team needing to learn 'situational hockey' also seems a bit odd when you consider it's a veteran group that was nothing short of dominant with the lead over the previous 3-4 years...

The Canucks had a -10 goal differential in the 3rd period last season and the 24th best winning % when leading after 2 periods; they were hardly the 3rd period warriors you're suggesting. That continued into the playoffs where 3 of their 4 losses involved them blowing leads in the 2nd half of the game.

Sure when they were an elite team they were dominant with the lead, but those days are long over.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

It has nothing to do with "country club mentality."

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Heading over to Van for a few days to catch this game, time to dust of the wallet im guessing. Trips to the game never come cheap

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So the players aren't motivated to score?

I don't think it's about motivation, I think it's just a very basic psychological strategy. If these players do enough pushups they'll be more focused on every little detail of getting their shots on net to the point where it will be more instinctive in games.

I can't believe I'm having to even explain this. Why is such a thing even an issue?

Maybe doing push-ups has absolutely no effect on the players, but I'm pretty sure not making them do push-ups isn't going to gain their respect or admiration more to the point of better shooting efficiency either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad