Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
17sgj5g.png
I was kind of expecting this. It’s going to be a difficult year. Hopefully there is a suitable opportunity to vaccinate the majority of players soon, to greatly reduce the chances for this type of thing.

Reactions: mk80

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Never should of played the first game. Much rather miss two games than quarantine for multiple weeks and have Blues players infected. Hurts on multiple levels
I wouldn’t really consider sharing the ice for a hockey game a high risk exposure. It’s sitting together in the locker room and close on the bench, sharing facilities, that is more likely for transmission. If a Blues player tested positive after, I’d more quickly assume it was an exposure to a person in a support role behind the scenes.

You also have to wonder how many Blues already had Covid and may not really be at risk. We’ve been told about a few.

Reactions: Vektor and mk80

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I wouldn’t really consider sharing the ice for a hockey game a high risk exposure. It’s sitting together in the locker room and close on the bench, sharing facilities, that is more likely for transmission. If a Blues player tested positive after, I’d more quickly assume it was an exposure to a person in a support role behind the scenes.

You also have to wonder how many Blues already had Covid and may not really be at risk. We’ve been told about a few.
I don’t even know how to respond to this from a Physicians standpoint.

Reactions: Joshuar56

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008

I think it would be pretty easy for players to give it to each other during a game. No mask, close contact, guys sweating and spitting. Seems more risky than walking in a gas station without a mask on.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think it would be pretty easy for players to give it to each other during a game. No mask, close contact, guys sweating and spitting. Seems more risky than walking in a gas station without a mask on.
You have to factor the viral load a player could carry and be asymptomatic. It’s not the same thing as imagining a person actively sick with respiratory symptoms skating out there. I’m assuming the players are feeling pretty good if they’re playing professional hockey.

There are plenty of other reasons I have that opinion. A large open arena is more similar to being outdoors than inside a home. Although players sweat and spit, they are rarely in each other’s space for more than an instant. It’s just not the type of exposure that lends itself to a significant viral load. I can’t even find instances where transmission has been demonstrated in a setting like this. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible, just not terribly concerning.

No, the larger danger of being in Vegas if there were an outbreak on that team would be situations where Blues’ staff/players were in common entrances, rest rooms, around common staff (like locker room assistants), etc. You wouldn’t quarantine players from the opposing team, for example, if you had an outbreak on your team.

As for the earlier comment about a physician’s opinion, I’m not sure what is being said there. It’s not like Covid is the first time we have had to categorize risk levels of exposures with different routes of transmission. I take care of patients with pertussis regularly, and we have to determine who needs prophylactic antibiotic therapy. This isn’t much different than those situations, other than the hysteria.

Reactions: tfriede2

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Officially postponed
Bummer.

You have to assume Vegas will have to shut down for a week or two. They’ll have a more condensed make-up schedule. The way they’re handling their taxi squad to deal with the Cap situation, I think that team is vulnerable. They don’t have the depth they could have, and a condensed schedule could magnify that issue when guys get banged up. I already wondered if that would catch up with them over the season, but now it looks even like a larger stress.

Reactions: Spear

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'd say barring a positive within the Blues travel party popping up, the games against Anaheim are still on.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018

I hope you are correct!

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
You have to factor the viral load a player could carry and be asymptomatic. It’s not the same thing as imagining a person actively sick with respiratory symptoms skating out there. I’m assuming the players are feeling pretty good if they’re playing professional hockey.

There are plenty of other reasons I have that opinion. A large open arena is more similar to being outdoors than inside a home. Although players sweat and spit, they are rarely in each other’s space for more than an instant. It’s just not the type of exposure that lends itself to a significant viral load. I can’t even find instances where transmission has been demonstrated in a setting like this. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible, just not terribly concerning.

No, the larger danger of being in Vegas if there were an outbreak on that team would be situations where Blues’ staff/players were in common entrances, rest rooms, around common staff (like locker room assistants), etc. You wouldn’t quarantine players from the opposing team, for example, if you had an outbreak on your team.

As for the earlier comment about a physician’s opinion, I’m not sure what is being said there. It’s not like Covid is the first time we have had to categorize risk levels of exposures with different routes of transmission. I take care of patients with pertussis regularly, and we have to determine who needs prophylactic antibiotic therapy. This isn’t much different than those situations, other than the hysteria.
Any direct contact with an individual with COVID-19 while not wearing a mask or PPE, is 100% a high risk exposure.

That’s all I’ll say further on the subject.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The initial cases for VGK were in the coaching staff, hence why McCrimmon was behind the bench on Tuesday.

I'd expect some form of transmission to VGK players, but the transmission to STL players unless mask policies were ignored I would expect to be low. This, because the Blues and Knights have their own facilities and their staff shouldn't be interacting in a significant manner.

Not to downplay the risks, but segregation of the teams severely limits spreading unless players start visiting each other after hours to hang out and grab meals together.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
We should know by Saturday if there will be problems for the Blues, that would 5 days since possible exposure, so a positive test result and or symptoms showing up. Are they doing daily testing in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad