Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The fact we have played Schenn at centre doesn't really change anything; we traded for, and paid the price for, a 55 point winger. If he had been playing centre in Philly then the price would have been higher..

I'm saying the Blues may have been willing to pay a little bit more, if they viewed Schenn as a Center, then they would if they viewed him as a Winger only. If they don't think Galchenyuk can perform as Center, then they likely wouldn't pay as much for him as they did Schenn. But i think we agree the price would have been more had Philly valued him as a C and played him as such.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The fact we have played Schenn at centre doesn't really change anything; we traded for, and paid the price for, a 55 point winger. If he had been playing centre in Philly then the price would have been higher.

The problem is assessing the value of a cap dump. When a wealthy team has lots of cap space in the medium term, then getting a team to pay that bit extra and taking the cap dump is more favourable. I'm sure Philly preferred getting Lehterä & two 1st's for Schenn instead of, maybe, 1st, 2nd & middling prospect.

Totally agree that we won't have the appetite to move Thomas or Kyrou for Galchenyuk, but such a deal would probably be dependent on Montreal loving someone at 29 and pushing a deal through then.

Yeah, and I really dont see why they would want to trade him now. They arent looking super competitive and they arent in a cap crunch, why rush and sell low on a talented young player? I would love to get him, but no, I wouldnt move either of them for Alex G.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Id be totally fine if the Blues stood pat and not made any trades (except trying to dump Sobotka). Id love to see them develop the kids. Just go all in on Taveras first.

Reactions: simon in canada

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Id be totally fine if the Blues stood pat and not made any trades (except trying to dump Sobotka). Id love to see them develop the kids. Just go all in on Taveras first.

I agree as long as the bolded happens, If we do not get Taveras we have to improve the top six some where.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Sign JT & Reaves & KB

XXXX Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn XXXXX
Steen Thomas Berglund
Barbashev Brodziak Reaves

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Bouwmeester Bortuzzo

Allen
Husso

XXXX = Fabbri, Kyrou, Thompson, or Trade (Sobotka + 1st + Kostin)
Fabbri – Very promising player. Top notch vision and playmaking ability. Needs to put the injury concern to rest.
Kyrou – 1 of the top offensive prospects in the OHL. Outstanding skater. Tons of skill. Needs to prove he can play in the pro’s before handed a top 6 role.
Thompson - Great frame and goal scoring potential. Needs to work on his skating and bulk up.
Trade - that package is good enough to land plenty of top 6 talent while shipping out Sobotka’s contract (this would be the preferred route)
Free Agency – who fits? Right handed LW or RW. I’d consider David Perron.

Trade for ROR (Sobotka + 1st + Kostin) & Sign Reaves & KB

XXXX OReilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn XXXXX
Steen Thomas Berglund
Barbashev Brodziak Reaves

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Bouwmeester Bortuzzo

Allen
Husso

XXXX = Fabbri, Kyrou, Thompson, or Trade (Sobotka + 1st + Kostin)
Fabbri – Very promising player. Top notch vision and playmaking ability. Needs to put the injury concern to rest.
Kyrou – 1 of the top offensive prospects in the OHL. Outstanding skater. Tons of skill. Needs to prove he can play in the pro’s before handed a top 6 role.
Thompson - Great frame and goal scoring potential. Needs to work on his skating and bulk up.
Trade - that package is good enough to land plenty of top 6 talent while shipping out Sobotka’s contract (this would be the preferred route)
Free Agency – who fits? Right handed LW or RW. I’d consider David Perron.

Absolute Madness

18 Mill in Cap (est)
-
Parayko for Marner -4m
-Sobotka for a 3rd -3m
-Steen, Kyrou, 1st for OReilly -0m

Now 25.5 Mill in Cap after moves (est)
-
Sign Carlson, Reaves, Maroon, Brodziak (17 million)

Blues has 7-8 Mill in cap space (est) = TDL flexibility

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Maroon OReilly Marner
Fabbri Thomas Berglund
Barbasehv Brodziak Reaves

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Edmundson Carlson
Dunn Bortuzzo

Allen
Husso

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Why does everyone want Reaves back all of a sudden? I like him too, but shouldn't we worry about improving the rest of the roster first before bringing back a 4th line player?

Reactions: The Note in Ky

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Patrick Maroon.......in the top 6..........:shakehead

John as bad as "Shattenkirk at defending" Carlson......:facepalm:

Why would Perron go back to a team that threw him out the door twice.....
Its about the fit. Theres already tons of skill in there regardless. He's a big body that can finish. I think he compliments two skilled play makers like Mitch and ROR. And hes cheap and can be moved around in the lineup and be a great add to the locker room

And yeah the number one defensemen for the Eastern conference champs is a terrible option to consider as a Parayko replacement...C'mon man...that's just short sighted. He'd be great as a 2 while Petro holds down the tough matchups.

And why Perron? Tell me another right handed 60 point winger that can play both wings for 4 million a year. He loves the Blues as stated a hundred times. And mainly, its a business before anything. If a professional is offered the money at the right price, they'll take it.

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I should've put it in there but if were moving on from Steen we need new locker room voices/leaders.

We're in the west. You need toughness & character to make it out. Something our team seriously lacks.

So I added tough character guys like Maroon and Reaves and a proven defenseman who's played on great teams and big stages before.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Why does everyone want Reaves back all of a sudden? I like him too, but shouldn't we worry about improving the rest of the roster first before bringing back a 4th line player?
Toughness & leadership. This team needed some character last year. We were in shambles and divided during our 8 game losing streak. He's a glue guy. We're also incorporating teenage rookies and an injury prone Fabbri. Reaves would offer some protection. Also he'd help Tarasenko feel comfortable in a new group. Those sort of players help teams win.

Management said this will be addressed in the offseason

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Its about the fit. Theres already tons of skill in there regardless. He's a big body that can finish. I think he compliments two skilled play makers like Mitch and ROR. And hes cheap and can be moved around in the lineup and be a great add to the locker room

And yeah the number one defensemen for the Eastern conference champs is a terrible option to consider as a Parayko replacement...C'mon man...that's just short sighted. He'd be great as a 2 while Petro holds down the tough matchups.

And why Perron? Tell me another right handed 60 point winger that can play both wings for 4 million a year. He loves the Blues as stated a hundred times. And mainly, its a business before anything. If a professional is offered the money at the right price, they'll take it.
Maroon was propped up by McDavid. He went to a fast team with playmakers in NJ, and didnt do squat. He is not that great.

Yes, JC isnt that great of an option especially when you factor in how much he will cost. It will be Shattenkirk 2.0, but double the cost.

Perron was a 40pt player for the Blues. What hes done in Vegas should not be looked at as his floor

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Toughness & leadership. This team needed some character last year. We were in shambles and divided during our 8 game losing streak. He's a glue guy. We're also incorporating teenage rookies and an injury prone Fabbri. Reaves would offer some protection. Also he'd help Tarasenko feel comfortable in a new group. Those sort of players help teams win.

Reaves doesn't protect anyone. He didnt stop the cheap shots on our guys when he was with the Blues. I wouldn't mind him back but by no means should he be a priority.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Maroon was propped up by McDavid. He went to a fast team with playmakers in NJ, and didnt do squat. He is not that great.

Yes, JC isnt that great of an option especially when you factor in how much he will cost. It will be Shattenkirk 2.0, but double the cost.

Perron was a 40pt player for the Blues. What hes done in Vegas should not be looked at as his floor

Again that is just so short sided. There is so much top end talent in that lineup. Pretending like that wouldn’t be the best team we iced in 20 years. :thumbu:

So many intangibles you’re ignoring that I won’t go over again. Claiming Reaves doesn’t protect or bring teams together. Claiming JC wouldn’t be a good option behind Petro with a rising cap. Claiming Perron isn’t worth a low contract. 40+ player plays everywhere in all situations.

So many overstated generalities that our fan base uses to label players. We pretend like there’s only one way to build this team up to a contender. We’re so far away from the offensive talent, the compete level, and heart of those two teams in the cup final. It’s scary. By the time our kids are able to help that, our core players will have moved on. Cya

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Again that is just so short sided. There is so much top end talent in that lineup. Pretending like that wouldn’t be the best team we iced in 20 years. :thumbu:

So many intangibles you’re ignoring that I won’t go over again. Claiming Reaves doesn’t protect or bring teams together. Claiming JC wouldn’t be a good option behind Petro with a rising cap. Claiming Perron isn’t worth a low contract. 40+ player plays everywhere in all situations.

Some many overstated generalities that our fan base uses to label players. We pretend like there’s only one way to build to team up to a contender. Cya
:laugh:

Todaloooo

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I thought Maroon actually did pretty well for the Devils. It was Grabner who didn't fare so well.

I'm sure Army will kick the tires on Maroon as we could seriously use a net front presence guy for the PP.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I thought Maroon actually did pretty well for the Devils. It was Grabner who didn't fare so well.

I'm sure Army will kick the tires on Maroon as we could seriously use a net front presence guy for the PP.
I'm going off of what some Devils fans said and watching the playoffs. Grabner was supposed to "make a difference" and was a complete no show.

Last edited:

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL

Pat Maroon is not what this team needs. I would be pissed if we signed him TBH. I would rather do nothing as @TheBluePenguin said and let the Kids plays over signing a 30yo 3rd liner to a contract. him going to Oakville is no reason to sign a player.

Reactions: JHockey123

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Reaves is fun, but I don't really want him back, especially at the salary he'll probably command. No interest in Maroon either.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

You don't need Reaves for toughness and leadership. We need our current leaders to grow some f***ing balls. Reaves is a glue guy but there are plenty of others already here. Vegas and Pittsburgh got along fine without him. He's a good player, but would be priority #20 out of 20 on fixing this team.

I have to agree with @Dbrownss that Reaves didn't protect squat while he was here. Remember Tarasenko against Colorado, Reaves didn't do sh**. Backes, after the hit by Seabrook...Reaves didn't do sh**. I like Reaves. He's a solid 4th line player, but he's not the fix for the problem with the Blues. The problems with the Blues last year went well beyond a "glue and toughness" guy. They had only 5 top 6 forwards all year. They had an abysmal power play. Many of the key guys got injured for larger stretches.

Thorburn is a glue and toughness guy that played many games for the Blues, maybe not as well as Reaves, but despite how well he did play, that didn't do anything to help this team win. You don't need a guy like Reaves or Maroon (who did fine with New Jersey stat wise, but he was not a huge help in the "intangibles" department like you are referencing.

The Blues need to stop chasing players that have been on Cup teams or the way Cup teams are built because those styles change year in and year out. Nashville was built on an exceptional defense corp, San Jose was built as a solid all around team, Pittsburgh is a predominantly offense team with average defense, Washington has turned into a well rounded team but with an elite group of forwards who play solid team defense. Las Vegas is attack, attack, attack with little thought to defense. William Karlsson said it best, he went from Tortorella (Hitch style) who concentrated on defense to Gallant (Cooper/Sullivan) who said, just go play hockey. The Blues need to concentrate on filling in 3 top 9 roles that include a top 6 C and top 6 W. They also need to concentrate on team chemistry and the PP. If they fix two of those things, they're back in the playoffs. That doesn't include a Thorburn or Reaves.

Reactions: Dbrownss

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Maroon only works in a skilled forward group like the one that was put together above. If we don’t have those guys that he could complement, I wouldn’t want him either.

You guys completely miss the point because there’s only one way to fix this team in your head.

Last edited:
Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maroon only works in a skilled forward group like the one that was put together above. If we don’t have complementary players I wouldn’t want him either.

You guys completely miss the point.
Hes not going to justify his contract. He's making a tad over 2m right now and given how high the cap is and his leach production.....hes a prime candidate to be grossly overpaid. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone pay him 4m/yr.

Reactions: JHockey123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad