Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Idk, too hard to predict what could have been. The team did make it's best push under Hitch. I just would have liked the leaders on the team to tell Oshie to keep his head down and wait out Hitch. He should have retired after the WCF run.
I am not saying we would have won, but I thought it was pretty obvious we weren’t winning with Hitch. Playing so conservatively didn’t give our team the chance to reach their pinnacle.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am not saying we would have won, but I thought it was pretty obvious we weren’t winning with Hitch. Playing so conservatively didn’t give our team the chance to reach their pinnacle.
I do agree. We didnt really take a step in the right direction with Yeo though.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I didn't mind seeing Oshie get moved at the time, the return was certainly meh, but Armstrong turning the cap flexibility from Brouwer's shorter contract into Yakupov and nothing else has completely soured the trade.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Would anyone else be open to trading Fabbri for a rental, (eg., Simmonds), and conditional 2019 picks, depending on how many games Fabbri plays?

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Army ruined our chances with that core because he stubbornly held onto his friend. That much should be seem as a give IMO.

I really didn't like Hitch being here after the 2015 season. The sad thing is, he was easily out coached by the guy who's now the Blues coach, so we should be happy right? Hitch's best season came a year later, but I firmly believe that was more the players than Hitch. If they would have won the Cup, I believed it would have been in spite of Hitch rather than because of him. It was also the last year of Backes and I think there was a win one for Backes mentality.

I do agree. We didn't really take a step in the right direction with Yeo though.

For a short while, the team did, but then it all fell a part. It's ominous to me that it happened again similarly to what happened the year before when Hitch was fired and the 2015 season. There is still a bit of the old core left, and it's their habit to quit on a coach.

Would anyone else be open to trading Fabbri for a rental, (eg., Simmonds), and conditional 2019 picks, depending on how many games Fabbri plays?

No. Not at all. Fabbri is a wild card and I don't think you hold onto a wild card until you can maximize it's usefulness. Fabbri still has the potential to be a supremely good and cheap hockey player. To me, that's not worth a rental. If it's a trade for help on a multi-year deal, then I'll think harder about it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
For a short while, the team did, but then it all fell a part. It's ominous to me that it happened again similarly to what happened the year before when Hitch was fired and the 2015 season. There is still a bit of the old core left, and it's their habit to quit on a coach.
Even when they played well, I still saw the low puck pressure containment mentality. His transition game was excellent though. I dont know what happened last year tbh.

I wasn’t happy with the signing at the time. As I said then, I hope he learns and grows quickly.
I hope that he does too. It's unlikely they cut the cord with him. I'd just like to see him up the forcheck pressure and stop with collapsing and conceding puck control in the dzone. Though its blatantly obvious at this point Armstrong took his keys to the PP :laugh:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think that the vast majority had major issues with a decision to move on from Oshie. The problem would be the return for most, and that was on how badly Armstrong handled it.

He let it get to the point where is was change for the sake of change, taking a big hit in value in the process.

I think he assumed that the Kessel deal wouldn't happen, and that's why he was content to wait and then have the Penguins pushing hard for Oshie. Pittsburgh got Kessel and it meant no market for Oshie, and, instead of standing pat, he pushed on with a trade when it's the worst time to be doing that (after UFA opens when teams have largely made their trades at the draft and filled out their rosters in UFA).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think that the vast majority had major issues with a decision to move on from Oshie. The problem would be the return for most, and that was on how badly Armstrong handled it.

He let it get to the point where is was change for the sake of change, taking a big hit in value in the process.

I think he assumed that the Kessel deal wouldn't happen, and that's why he was content to wait and then have the Penguins pushing hard for Oshie. Pittsburgh got Kessel and it meant no market for Oshie, and, instead of standing pat, he pushed on with a trade when it's the worst time to be doing that (after UFA opens when teams have largely made their trades at the draft and filled out their rosters in UFA).
From what I remember, the Pittsburgh trade was garbage too.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
My problem with trading Oshie was primarily what we got for him. I'm fine with making a change, but the fact that we didn't get Vrana for either him or Shattenkirk annoys the hell out of me.

If I recall, Oshie had some unpleasant things to say to the press. It kind of lead to either him or Hitch going, and unfortunately...it wasn't going to be Hitch. I also was of the opinion that he needed to go a year sooner after Yeo clearly out-coached him. I still think that effected Oshie's trade value somewhat on the open market.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My problem with trading Oshie was primarily what we got for him. I'm fine with making a change, but the fact that we didn't get Vrana for either him or Shattenkirk annoys the hell out of me.
I understand your frustration, but sometimes teams just wont pay what you(us fans) want. I cant believe it wasnt Brouwer+1st at leasr

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
The Oshie deal was bad. If you remember at the time, Army really strung out the Oshie deal to the end, as he was trying to hit the home run and as to be expected the other teams made their own moves, and DA ends up taking what he could which ended up being the Brouwer deal.

Army's mantra about Apples for Apples just ticked me off. So short sighted. Why couldn't he think out of the box and use free agency to augment Oshie's departure? And then make sure you get a number 1 pick or top prospect for Oshie in a deal? You just can't trade away a young marketable player like that and not have anything to show for it but that's what Army did.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The Oshie deal was bad. If you remember at the time, Army really strung out the Oshie deal to the end, as he was trying to hit the home run and as to be expected the other teams made their own moves, and DA ends up taking what he could which ended up being the Brouwer deal.

Army's mantra about Apples for Apples just ticked me off. So short sighted. Why couldn't he think out of the box and use free agency to augment Oshie's departure? And then make sure you get a number 1 pick or top prospect for Oshie in a deal? You just can't trade away a young marketable player like that and not have anything to show for it but that's what Army did.

Can you explain what you mean by “use free agency to augment Oshie’s departure”? I don’t understand.

Also, I know this sub loves to hate on Sanford, but outside of Vrana, there isn’t another prospect I would have wanted from the Capitals, and he is a good player in his own right. It’s easy to forget because we last saw him a year and a half ago, but I won’t be surprised if he takes a spot out of camp this year. I also won’t be surprised if he starts in the AHL, but regardless, I’m optimistic about him and I think the general opinion about him is unfairly tied to who he was traded for. He didn’t ask to get traded for the fan favorite.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Can you explain what you mean by “use free agency to augment Oshie’s departure”? I don’t understand.

Also, I know this sub loves to hate on Sanford, but outside of Vrana, there isn’t another prospect I would have wanted from the Capitals, and he is a good player in his own right. It’s easy to forget because we last saw him a year and a half ago, but I won’t be surprised if he takes a spot out of camp this year. I also won’t be surprised if he starts in the AHL, but regardless, I’m optimistic about him and I think the general opinion about him is unfairly tied to who he was traded for. He didn’t ask to get traded for the fan favorite.
Sanford was a part of the Shattenkirk trade, not the Oshie one.

The Blues traded two years of Oshie for one year of Brouwer, Copley, and a 3rd round pick.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Which of our prospects/young players are you not optimistic about?

Reactions: Thallis

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Army was too dead set on a pure hockey trade with Oshie. He wasn't interested in getting futures. But he could of used free agency to replace Oshie, (someone like Joel Ward), and then in turn trade Oshie where the main piece in the trade would be a 1st rd pick or a team's top prospect.

I like Sanford, the only thing that turns me off about him is his lack of aggression. I think he does have skill/potential, but I want to see him more willing to go into corners and work for that puck. If he does that, then I'm sure Yeo will give him a serious look.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I like Sanford, the only thing that turns me off about him is his lack of aggression. I think he does have skill/potential, but I want to see him more willing to go into corners and work for that puck. If he does that, then I'm sure Yeo will give him a serious look.

Dude is a toothpick. He isn't aggressive in corners bc he is afraid someone will snap him in half!

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I didn’t mean it as a jab or anything. I am honestly interested in knowing. It seems like you are high on all of our prospects/young guys, but I tend to doubt that is the case. So, I was hoping to find out who you are not as enamored with, as I have to assume that list is smaller/easier to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad