Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXII

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Maybe that's ok at the price we offer at.

He's an interesting case because his possession numbers are not good, but his even strength scoring is great. He might be perfect in a 3rd line role.

Thinking about what the Pens did with Hagelin 2 years ago. When that 3rd line was on the ice, their d-men didn't worry about controlled breakouts so much. If it wasn't there they just threw out some jump balls, and he'd chase it down. It was a scary look for teams to deal with. Obviously Kessel is a big part of that, but the threat of a jailbreak was always there with that line on the ice.

We dont need Athanasiou we've MPS aka wrap-around. Throw the puck in the air and Pääjärvi will get it, he'll move those pretty small legs quickly enough.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Athanasiou gets too overhyped. Too many people get glazed over by his speed alone and not see that his shot (selection, so damn picky), vision and defensive play still needs a good bit of work. I can see why Det. is low-balling him.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Don't think I'd do Thompson for AA straight up...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I wouldn't mind getting a guy like AA but if we are going to make a trade, we might as well aim higher than him.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis

Long, but an interesting listen. The guest is a former scout who still works in evaluating players. His insight and knowledge is a refreshing perspective on the game.

It's a leafs based podcast, but once you listen and apply this knowledge to the Blues, it becomes interesting. They do talk about other teams a bit as well.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Put me in the camp of thinking Athanasiou will have a better NHL career than Thompson.

Athanasiou has played 101 games. It would only be surprising if people said he doesn't need to work on the defensive side of the puck. He had 18 goals in 64 games while only getting 13:28 of ice time per game. He only had 1.9 shots per game.

I don't necessarily think he'd be a 3rd line player. He's a natural center with NHL experience. Schenn & Fabbri both play well on the wings. Doesn't it make some sense playing a C at C rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole?

Fabbri AA Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Schenn
Steen Barbashev Sobotka

My opinion is Tarasenko wouldn't benefit from a great setup guy the same way Hull benefited from Oates or like Pavelski benefits from Thornton. Tarasenko isn't a floater to empty space looking for a one timer. For the most part Tarasenko creates his own offense. I think a player like AA would be a bigger benefit for Tarasenko's point total. Too many times we watched Tarasenko draw the defense and setup Lehtera only for there to be no finish.

Meh, my two pennies

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
My opinion is Tarasenko wouldn't benefit from a great setup guy the same way Hull benefited from Oates or like Pavelski benefits from Thornton. Tarasenko isn't a floater to empty space looking for a one timer. For the most part Tarasenko creates his own offense. I think a player like AA would be a bigger benefit for Tarasenko's point total. Too many times we watched Tarasenko draw the defense and setup Lehtera only for there to be no finish.

Meh, my two pennies

Tavares :sarcasm:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Put me in the camp of thinking Athanasiou will have a better NHL career than Thompson.

Athanasiou has played 101 games. It would only be surprising if people said he doesn't need to work on the defensive side of the puck. He had 18 goals in 64 games while only getting 13:28 of ice time per game. He only had 1.9 shots per game.

I don't necessarily think he'd be a 3rd line player. He's a natural center with NHL experience. Schenn & Fabbri both play well on the wings. Doesn't it make some sense playing a C at C rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole?

Fabbri AA Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Schenn
Steen Barbashev Sobotka

Meh, my two pennies
So.....you think he's a 1c?

tenor.gif

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

That's a loaded comment.

Is Stastny a 1C? He's obviously the most accomplished C on the Blues. I wouldn't tag AA a 1C any more than I would Stastny. Does Stastny make Tarasenko better? I think the evidence says no.

The real question, and the one with merit, is would AA succeed and make a line with Fabbri & Tarasenko better? My opinion is yes. It's fine if you don't agree. Your response is implying that I'm annointing AA on the same level as a Crosby.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

That's a loaded comment.

Is Stastny a 1C? He's obviously the most accomplished C on the Blues. I wouldn't tag AA a 1C any more than I would Stastny. Does Stastny make Tarasenko better? I think the evidence says no.

The real question, and the one with merit, is would AA succeed and make a line with Fabbri & Tarasenko better? My opinion is yes. It's fine if you don't agree. Your response is implying that I'm annointing AA on the same level as a Crosby.
I forgot where to look but hasn't he been a winger almost his whole career. I think its wishful thinking to take him from the 3rd line in detroit and project him to be a 1c here. Stastny is leaps and bounds better then he is. He would fit the new criteria of 1c if he actually played a full season. Theres nothing wrong with targeting AA....but if thats your goal for him, your going to be disappointed. No reason to blow Thompson on a 3rd liner...fringe 2nd liner if were lucky. Just slide Fabbri to center for free...because he is a natual centerman

Alexander blues

Sep 10, 2017
Schwartz - __?__ - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Fabbri

I know we long to talk about adding a top-6 player, but do we need another top-6 winger? Is tying up more of our cap in that position the best course of action in the long term?

We can point to the playoffs, but Steen had a significant injury and Fabbri was missing.

If we can get a RW that could be a legitimate difference maker, then we should go for it. If it is a slight upgrade, I'd rather just go as we are.

The focus needs to be a top-6 centre, not simply another top-6 player. I've complained for a while about our roster just being a collection of good players, we need to start building a team.

We have shown a willingness to give several players one-way contracts to offer us AHL depth in recent seasons, and have been in the black.

Another positive sign is that when we traded Shattenkirk this season we were 8th in the Conference, second Wild Card position, and 3 points behind the first WC team. We were still making the practical decisions and not making desperate moves to try and get the playoff revenue to maintain a budget.

Once we get to $85m then I think this really becomes a question, but that could take another 5 years with the players increasing frustrations with escrow.

Sorry man but every year we have Petro, tarasenko, Schwartz, and Allen in their prime is a year we should be going for the cup. Parayko could probably join that group as well although I don't believe he's reached his prime yet. We need a true, clear cut, no questions asked, number 1 center. Every year we have the talent on wing, defense, and in net that we have, is wasted If we don't fill that final position. Possibly the most important position on the ice. We should have found a number 1 center 3 years ago when we realized paul stastny could not handle the job. I know they don't grow on trees but it's armies job, as a responsible GM, to make it happen. Every year he doesn't fill that position, ownership should be taking a good hard at his capabilities and how he is wasting so much money on the above mentioned talent and not providing the team with the final piece.

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Sorry man but every year we have Petro, tarasenko, Schwartz, and Allen in their prime is a year we should be going for the cup. Parayko could probably join that group as well although I don't believe he's reached his prime yet. We need a true, clear cut, no questions asked, number 1 center. Every year we have the talent on wing, defense, and in net that we have, is wasted If we don't fill that final position. Possibly the most important position on the ice. We should have found a number 1 center 3 years ago when we realized paul stastny could not handle the job. I know they don't grow on trees but it's armies job, as a responsible GM, to make it happen. Every year he doesn't fill that position, ownership should be taking a good hard at his capabilities and how he is wasting so much money on the above mentioned talent and not providing the team with the final piece.

Who ,ought you suggest he go after? True #1A centers do not come cheap nor do they present themselves as available frequently.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There's been Ryan Johansen, and thats about it in relevant history. Johansen is not a #1A centerman, he has the talent but from what JR wrote, the Blues just didn't like him. Now I understand that even though im a RyJo fan, but he does come off as an arrogant and lazy player. We speculated it was for Shattenkirk but there were rumblings it could have been something like Parayko+(more inline with Jones). Obviously Shattenkirk for RyJo even at 8m would be a win but I would not have swapped Parayko for him. Armstrong was all over Drouin who can potentially be a centerman. Your selling him short if you dont think that he's trying to fill the hole.

It sounds like they are going to push Fabbri to center, because imo it didn't sound like he was begging for it. They brought in Schenn to play center...now I dont think Schenn is going to work but if it doesn't he filled the 2RW hole.

In my opinion this is similar to the getting fast issue. Armstrong flat out said you cant just trade for them or sign them. They are a premium and you have to draft that skillset. The Armys then went on to draft Fabbri, Barbashev, Walman, Dunn, Thomas, Kostin, and Toropchenko(those guys are just on the top of my head). This isnt EA sports where you can force a trade, you can desire and try to get a player all you want but if they dont want to come to Stl or they aren't available, there's nothing you can do.

Now with all that said, if Tavares is a legitimate option and he's not wearing a Bluenote, then I'll go get my pitchfork. As of now though, he's done a good job outside of getting value for Oshie.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

All of us understand the sentiment but Armstrong had to juggle cap after signing Stastny. We simply weren't in a position to go after another expensive center until that deal was winding down( we're now close). Not only do we have the cap space coming up potentially, we also have a prospect pool that we can trade from to pursue that type of player via trade. So being patient here can potentially pay off if that right center becomes available. I understand and share your frustration but NHL teams sometimes go years waiting for a player of that caliber to become available.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
As unlikely as it is that an intra-divisional trade would happen. Would Thompson, Dunn/Walman, Sundqvist/Sanford put us in the mix to obtain Duchene?

If Sakic waits much longer, he's gonna hurt the return he gets a la Shatty situation.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As unlikely as it is that an intra-divisional trade would happen. Would Thompson, Dunn/Walman, Sundqvist/Sanford put us in the mix to obtain Duchene?

If Sakic waits much longer, he's gonna hurt the return he gets a la Shatty situation.
I have a feeling we'll always loose out on Duchene. Columbus would snag him

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Rumour has it Sakic is asking for Murray, Carlsson and a 1st from CBJ. (I honestly wouldn't do it, if I were Jarmo). That roughly translates to Dunn/Walman, Edmundson, and being that we don't have a 1st, probably Thompson/Thomas/Kostin. (I understand that my comparisons could be off). So long story short, I think you are ballpark, but instead of Sundquist/Sanford it would be a more established young roster player like Edmundson. Personally I wouldn't do it. I think Duchene is overrated in general, and ridiculously so by Sakic. (Now, I'm basing everything on what I have read on the main trade boards, so I could be wrong). :D

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think that's overpayment personally. Duchene IMO is worth one of our top Nearly NHL ready prospects and a first. That means one of Dunn/Walman, and Thomas/Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin. But that's my opinion. I rink Avs fans overrate him and that he isn't worth his asking price. But I'm a stickler.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Earlier in the summer there was that rumor floating around about a TOR-STL trade involving Kapanen and presumably Bouwmeester. Knowing what we know now about our prospect depth, would you still make that trade, assuming that Kapanen wasn't the only piece involved and the value was more or less equal? What I'm really curious about is whether or not the relatively rapid emergence of Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin, and Thomas as potential RW options down the line make Kapanen a less appealing trade target. Does your opinion change if a 2018 first rounder is involved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad