Blues Trade Proposals Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I rather use Shatty as the 'plus' with another roster player to land a star, than trade him for magic beans. It's obvious he's either going to walk or be dealt...so i'd perfer he be dealt with someone for a bigger piece, than traded for multiple lesser pieces.

If Shatty + Fabbri, or Shatty + Schwartz can get the Blues a legitimate top-line Center, then do it. Because Schwartz or Fabbri alone would never do it...and Shattenkirk is gone at year's end anyway.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I rather use Shatty as the 'plus' with another roster player to land a star, than trade him for magic beans. It's obvious he's either going to walk or be dealt...so i'd perfer he be dealt with someone for a bigger piece, than traded for multiple lesser pieces.

If Shatty + Fabbri, or Shatty + Schwartz can get the Blues a legitimate top-line Center, then do it. Because Schwartz or Fabbri alone would never do it...and Shattenkirk is gone at year's end anyway.

100% agree:handclap:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

That's reasonable, except in this case. You wouldn't have a bidding war for JT...well i guess you could but assume his list of teams is very short. I don't see him completely waiving his NMC

I'd be extremely hesitant to give up that type of package for Tavares when he's a UFA after next season.

If JT comes to Stl.....he's staying in Stl.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree. Only way we trade for him is with the $70m/7yrs in mind and budget(could be less but lets just say for our convo).

JT would get his full 8yrs...boarderlinr blank check.

Its an absolute swing for the fence trade. LHD and goaltending would be a potential issue though

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

I just watched this video, and now I think the strategy is to trade a 60 OVR for a 61 OVR. . . and then work our way up to JT. :naughty:

Other than that, is there any way that we can get Duchene out of a crumbling Colorado? I know it's a pipedream, but this team needs size and/or speed to open up our ability to attack off the transition (size to get the puck, speed to transition as a unit). We just need to trade for Landeskog and Duchene.

On a more serious note, I don't think it's realistic to say that Armstrong would trade Fabbs - especially with Tavares only have a year or two left. If we're still looking for a 1C, we just have to go hard after him in FA. Shattenkirk, Lehtera, Gunnarsson, prospects, and multiple first round picks need to be on the block to get us an upgrade in speed down the middle (is there any truth to this Duchene thing?).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

I just watched this video, and now I think the strategy is to trade a 60 OVR for a 61 OVR. . . and then work our way up to JT. :naughty:

Other than that, is there any way that we can get Duchene out of a crumbling Colorado? I know it's a pipedream, but this team needs size and/or speed to open up our ability to attack off the transition (size to get the puck, speed to transition as a unit). We just need to trade for Landeskog and Duchene.

On a more serious note, I don't think it's realistic to say that Armstrong would trade Fabbs - especially with Tavares only have a year or two left. If we're still looking for a 1C, we just have to go hard after him in FA. Shattenkirk, Lehtera, Gunnarsson, prospects, and multiple first round picks need to be on the block to get us an upgrade in speed down the middle (is there any truth to this Duchene thing?).

Only way we end up with Duchene is if we find a team willing to do to Colorado what Boston did to LA with Martin Jones. Basically, we find a team who is in the position to flip a player like Duchene... which I don't think there's anyone in the league in a position to "flip" Duchene and take Shattenkirk back. Edmonton maybe, but Shattenkirk isn't going there so that's a no-go. Montreal? Philly? NYR? TB? I think they'd probably all rather just keep Duchene.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Another option that hasn't really been discussed is a trade with Buffalo. Some of the rumors going around is that they are not happy with their defense. They are also loaded with centers. Obviously we won't get O'Reilly or Eichel but maybe target someone like Sam Reinhart? He hasn't exactly lived up to his draft hype but he is major upgrade to our top6 center group and is still pretty young.

Shattenkirk plus conditional 1st (if Shattenkirk doesn't re-sign) for Sam Reinhart.

I also think Shatty would easily re-sign in Buffalo.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Another option that hasn't really been discussed is a trade with Buffalo. Some of the rumors going around is that they are not happy with their defense. They are also loaded with centers. Obviously we won't get O'Reilly or Eichel but maybe target someone like Sam Reinhart? He hasn't exactly lived up to his draft hype but he is major upgrade to our top6 center group and is still pretty young.

Shattenkirk plus conditional 1st (if Shattenkirk doesn't re-sign) for Sam Reinhart.

That would be a great move. I like Reinhart.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
That would be robbery for us.

In terms of their respective rebuilds, I think Buffalo's a good 5-10 steps behind Toronto or even Arizona. They have no business getting rid of their young guys when they haven't shown that they're reliably capable of drafting more than 1 NHL-caliber prospect a year. A team like the Islanders, Coyotes, or Leafs? Yeah, I'd say go for it. Trade your young guys to jump forward a few years. Buffalo's got some work to do before they get to that point.

That said.... if they *want* to send Reinhart our way I wouldn't say no :sarcasm:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

What was Reinhart's draft hype if he has been disappointing? 20g, 40 points at 19 y.o., on pace for 50 points at 20, plus solid defensively. Yea, I'll take that for the Blues. He is has a couple more points than Fabbri and they were drafted the same year. Yes, Fabbri was drafted much later, but he has far exceeded projections based on his draft position. We wouldn't trade Fabbri for Shattenkirk or equivalent. Reinhart has more points than Bennett who was drafted 4th that year. Just because there are a lot of Franchise rookies floating around since (McDavid, Eichel, Matthews) and Draisaitl from that class is performing above expectations, does not mean Reinhart is under-producing. That draft was expected to be deep, but maybe not produce the top end talent of the following year. From what I can recollect of Reinhart's projections, he seems right on pace. I'd move Shatty for him in a heartbeat but that's not close to getting it done.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
That would be robbery for us.

In terms of their respective rebuilds, I think Buffalo's a good 5-10 steps behind Toronto or even Arizona. They have no business getting rid of their young guys when they haven't shown that they're reliably capable of drafting more than 1 NHL-caliber prospect a year. A team like the Islanders, Coyotes, or Leafs? Yeah, I'd say go for it. Trade your young guys to jump forward a few years. Buffalo's got some work to do before they get to that point.

That said.... if they *want* to send Reinhart our way I wouldn't say no :sarcasm:

I don't believe that at all. They have a pretty solid core up front. With some tweaking on the back end and maybe a new coach they could be in playoff contention right away. Plus it is not like Shattenkirk is 35 looking for one more pay day. He likely has another 10 years in the NHL. However if they want we also have several high end defensive prospects to put a package together.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
What was Reinhart's draft hype if he has been disappointing? 20g, 40 points at 19 y.o., on pace for 50 points at 20, plus solid defensively. Yea, I'll take that for the Blues. He is has a couple more points than Fabbri and they were drafted the same year. Yes, Fabbri was drafted much later, but he has far exceeded projections based on his draft position. We wouldn't trade Fabbri for Shattenkirk or equivalent. Reinhart has more points than Bennett who was drafted 4th that year. Just because there are a lot of Franchise rookies floating around since (McDavid, Eichel, Matthews) and Draisaitl from that class is performing above expectations, does not mean Reinhart is under-producing. That draft was expected to be deep, but maybe not produce the top end talent of the following year. From what I can recollect of Reinhart's projections, he seems right on pace. I'd move Shatty for him in a heartbeat but that's not close to getting it done.

I would say that would depend on need. We wouldn't trade Fabbri for a Shattenkirk equivalent because we are already loaded on the right side. If we were looking to add a talent of Shattenkirk's level and were subpar on the right side of our defense I would expect to pay a price of about Fabbri's value. It's all relative.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I would say that would depend on need. We wouldn't trade Fabbri for a Shattenkirk equivalent because we are already loaded on the right side. If we were looking to add a talent of Shattenkirk's level and were subpar on the right side of our defense I would expect to pay a price of about Fabbri's value. It's all relative.

We are stacked at LW (Fabs, Schwartz, Steen, Perron, Berglund) and we are pretty weak at LHD (Jaybo, Gunnar, Eddy). Would you trade Fabbri, a 20 year old putting up 50 points with greater potential beyond on an ELC with another year left and cost controlled for years beyond for a 2/3 LHD who is 28 and probably going to command $7M?

Plus Buffalo does not really have that pressing a need at RHD unless they move someone. I would think they'd prefer to upgrade their LHD. At least that was the prevailing theory at the start of the season. I have not watched a ton of Sabres to know who is playing below expectations.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
We are stacked at LW (Fabs, Schwartz, Steen, Perron, Berglund) and we are pretty weak at LHD (Jaybo, Gunnar, Eddy). Would you trade Fabbri, a 20 year old putting up 50 points with greater potential beyond on an ELC with another year left and cost controlled for years beyond for a 2/3 LHD who is 28 and probably going to command $7M?

Plus Buffalo does not really have that pressing a need at RHD unless they move someone. I would think they'd prefer to upgrade their LHD. At least that was the prevailing theory at the start of the season. I have not watched a ton of Sabres to know who is playing below expectations.

You're basically asking would we trade Fabbri for Victor Hedman before he signed his deal this summer. That is a very intriguing proposition. Feels about fair in value, but also sort of like we're robbing Peter to pay Paul in a way. Doesn't really feel worth it. BUT. Imagine now that Tampa Bay is also sending us Killorn/Palat and a conditional pick (again, all of this while Hedman is still a UFA). That's a little more appealing. So if the Blues send Shatty/Lehtera+a pick for Reinhart, maybe that makes sense to Buffalo. I don't know! It's interesting.

Edit:
Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Lehtera-Perron
Palat-Berglund-Yakupov
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves

Hedman-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Parayko

... not bad.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

Would I no, because I don't think our left side is that bad plus we have some really good prospects coming up on the left side (Walman and Dunn). There is also our issue with future cap space that would make such a move a little more difficult with us. Buffalo on the other hand has some cap space plus even more opening up in the off season and I have seen them discussing in their roster speculation thread about wanting to go after Shatty in the off season anyway. So there is obviously a want there by their fans.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You're basically asking would we trade Fabbri for Victor Hedman before he signed his deal this summer. That is a very intriguing proposition. Feels about fair in value, but also sort of like we're robbing Peter to pay Paul in a way. Doesn't really feel worth it. BUT. Imagine now that Tampa Bay is also sending us Killorn/Palat and a conditional pick (again, all of this while Hedman is still a UFA). That's a little more appealing. So if the Blues send Shatty/Lehtera+a pick for Reinhart, maybe that makes sense to Buffalo. I don't know! It's interesting.

Hedman >>> Shattenkirk. I don't think even the most avid Shattenkirk supporter would argue that. He puts up more points, is younger, more physical and far better defensively. Hedman is a #1D. Shattenkrik is unique in that he is trapped in a weird first pairing with the right partner vs sheltered #3 thing. But I build a defense around Hedman, not Shattenkirk.

Would I no, because I don't think our left side is that bad plus we have some really good prospects coming up on the left side (Walman and Dunn). There is also our issue with future cap space that would make such a move a little more difficult with us. Buffalo on the other hand has some cap space plus even more opening up in the off season and I have seen them discussing in their roster speculation thread about wanting to go after Shatty in the off season anyway. So there is obviously a want there by their fans.

Then float that trade on the main boards and see how quickly it gets shut down by Buff fans. There is a big difference between signing someone in free agency and giving away a 50 point 20 year old for them.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Hedman >>> Shattenkirk. I don't think even the most avid Shattenkirk supporter would argue that. He puts up more points, is younger, more physical and far better defensively. Hedman is a #1D. Shattenkrik is unique in that he is trapped in a weird first pairing with the right partner vs sheltered #3 thing. But I build a defense around Hedman, not Shattenkirk.

Oh absolutely, no doubt about it. Just trying to think of LHD in the same ballpark offensively as Shattenkirk... Josi? Giordano? OEL (that feels worse than the Hedman comparison)... Idk, you tell me.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Oh absolutely, no doubt about it. Just trying to think of LHD in the same ballpark offensively as Shattenkirk... Josi? Giordano? OEL (that feels worse than the Hedman comparison)... Idk, you tell me.

I don't think there is a good comparison, which is why I didn't try to come up with one :laugh:

Yandle is by far the closest comparison though. He made less than what Shatty expects on his current deal, he is a bit older and probably not as good. But he is your comparison. Yandle pulled Duclair so maybe I am off base. But I don't trade Fabbri for Yandle+.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Damn just remembered this dream. I saw pretty clearly on xmas that we traded Berglund + Rattie for goaltender which name was Beqqa, Begga or Boqqa. Idk, but it was clear dream. :laugh:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Damn just remembered this dream. I saw pretty clearly on xmas that we traded Berglund + Rattie for goaltender which name was Beqqa, Begga or Boqqa. Idk, but it was clear dream. :laugh:

That's a weird way to spell Bishop. :sarcasm:

Just made this offer on the main boards, but how does Hanzal for Lindbohm +2nd look valuewise? I am not great at player valuations in trade talks...feels a little light, but if we could get Hanzal without giving up one of our top tier prospects or our first I would be on board.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thats not a very good offer for Hanzal. With that said, we need to stay away from him....

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Army isn't known as a risk taker when it comes to trades. The Miller deal was probably the biggest risk and that one didn't turn out well. If Army & Co. want to make a serious run at the Cup some deals have to be made. Nobody can expect a deep run with Stastny, Berglund, & Lehtera down the middle.

Landing Bozak & Henrique should definitely be in the realm of possibility. Both deals are fairly safe & fit Army's mold.

Something around:

Lehtera + Schmaltz + 2017 1st for Bozak
Shattenkirk (agrees to resign)+ Berglund for Henrique + ?

The defense could use a veteran on the left side. These are some possible targets from teams that will be looking for futures at the TDL:

Tyutin from Col 2m, Gorges from Buffalo 3.9m, Ericsson from Detroit 4.25m, Edler from Vancouver 5m.

Final roster could be:

Fabbri Henrique Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Perron
Steen Bozak Yakupov
Upshall Brodziak Reaves

Xtras Jaskin & Rattie

Gorges Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Parayko
Gunnarsson Bortuzzo

Xtra Edmundson

It involves some moving pieces but nothing too crazy. It stings a little to give that much for Bozak but there has to be some payoff for sending Lehtera over. That roster is right at 71m. The biggest ? would probably still be Allen but at least the roster is better top to bottom.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Both Duchene and Landeskog are officially available for defense. I don't think we could win the bidding war without throwing in Parayko, but Army has to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad