Blues Trade Proposals Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we were going to trade for a New Jersey rental, I'd prefer Jagr, but I'd still prefer to hold onto Berglund and move him at the draft for futres.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That almost reads like he is suggesting Berglund & Ott for Eberle :laugh: His comment on Ott is silly, Armstrong signed Ott in the full knowledge that he would be getting used as a fourth liner.

Any capologist want to comment....assuming Berglund plus futures for Eberle, can the money differential be absorbed at the deadline....or would the Blues have to move more salary?

Technically we have the cap space that we could trade Berglund & futures for Eberle and still be under the cap. However, we really want to avoid the possibility of another bonus overage next season, so we'd like to finish the season $500k-$750k under the cap to take care of the bonus payments that Tarasenko will hit.

Pass.

Edmonton fans think Eberle is poor defensively. I don't think he's a fit here.

Come on man, it depends on what the + is. Eberle is so much more valuable than Berglund, if they were desperate enough to do Eberle for Berglund and a couple of minor pieces then we'd be all over that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Eberle is coming here, Ty Rattie seems like an obvious candidate to be heading the other way.

Oshie + Berglund still sounds like an overpayment - we'd need another decent piece coming back along with Eberle. I don't see a move that big happening when we're currently a top team in the league. I won't be surprised to see Berglund go as the writing will be on the wall for him at the end of the season anyways. But moving Oshie right now? Just can't see that happening yet.

So aside from Berglund, Rattie would make the most sense as he wouldn't really be needed much anymore, nor would we have a lot of room for him. Can't really think of anyone else that has value that we'd be willing to deal. Guess they could take Paajarvi back if they wanted. :laugh:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If Eberle is coming here, Ty Rattie seems like an obvious candidate to be heading the other way.

Oshie + Berglund still sounds like an overpayment - we'd need another decent piece coming back along with Eberle. I don't see a move that big happening when we're currently a top team in the league. I won't be surprised to see Berglund go as the writing will be on the wall for him at the end of the season anyways. But moving Oshie right now? Just can't see that happening yet.

So aside from Berglund, Rattie would make the most sense as he wouldn't really be needed much anymore, nor would we have a lot of room for him. Can't really think of anyone else that has value that we'd be willing to deal. Guess they could take Paajarvi back if they wanted. :laugh:

The only way that Oshie and Berglund would both be traded is at the end of the season. You don't move 2 players that fit the system so well during the season, particularly for someone who might not. And of course, you are right that it would require a pretty decent + from Edmonton to get both.

What would Edmonton want? I think the only expendable roster player that might interest them is Pääjärvi back, maybe Ott too. When it comes to prospects, I think they'd like Jaškin, Rattie, Schmaltz, Parayko, Binnington and Husso (assuming that Fabbri & Barbashev are off the table).

I'm just not sure they would be looking at prospects to even it out.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Berglund+MPS would be awesome move by army. I'm just fine with keeping Berglund till the end of the season though.

I still don't think adding Eberle's contract will do the team any favors with the kids contracts coming up.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And Matheson just said that we'd want defensive depth a few days ago. Eberle for Berglund+ would be fantastic, but I don't think Matheson has any actual info and his speculation has been all over the place.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Part of me does wonder if we are showcasing Berglund at center. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but putting Berglund back at center at the exact same time that we are in rumors with Edmonton and at the exact same time that Edmonton rumors are really heating up doesn't seem like just a coincidence to me.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Come on man, it depends on what the + is. Eberle is so much more valuable than Berglund, if they were desperate enough to do Eberle for Berglund and a couple of minor pieces then we'd be all over that.

I think Eberle will become Stewart 2.0. Look, Perron called out his forwards for lack of accountability in the dzone. PERRON. Edmonton is a dumpster fire. Forwards don't backcheck and when you watch them the coverage is junk.

Eberle doesn't win board battles and doesn't play defense. What is his value is you are looking at a forward who doesn't play d, and will like see a dramatic dump in his production. This is a guy who has 1 GOAL against Western conference opponents this year. 2.5 minutes of PP time per game. Sorry, I just don't see it.

At best, we are looking at a pure offensive forward who will put up 50 points per game. If he were putting up 65 points, that is one thing. But he doesn't.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think Eberle will become Stewart 2.0. Look, Perron called out his forwards for lack of accountability in the dzone. PERRON. Edmonton is a dumpster fire. Forwards don't backcheck and when you watch them the coverage is junk.

Eberle doesn't win board battles and doesn't play defense. What is his value is you are looking at a forward who doesn't play d, and will like see a dramatic dump in his production. This is a guy who has 1 GOAL against Western conference opponents this year. 2.5 minutes of PP time per game. Sorry, I just don't see it.

At best, we are looking at a pure offensive forward who will put up 50 points per game. If he were putting up 65 points, that is one thing. But he doesn't.

50 points per game sounds pretty good to me.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

1 goal? It is 10 games! He is 1-6-7 in those, and the Oilers are getting destroyed by Western Conference teams (1 point in 11 games). If we're being selective with stats, then he is 10-11-21 in 24 games against the Central since realignment.

Pure offense forward who will put up 50 points? His career average 28-37-65 every 82 games. It's true that is in a more offensive system, but let's not downplay what he has done in a little under 300 NHL games at 24.

I'm not the biggest fan of Eberle, but there isn't a comparison to be made with Stewart. Eberle can read the game, he'll get goals wherever he goes. Is Eberle a lost cause when it comes to 2-way play? I don't know, but if we can get him on the cheap then I'd rather have his pure offensive game on a line with Steen and Stastny than Berglund's pure defensive game.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah I find it weird how you said if Eberle put up 65 points it would be different when he had that exact amount of points just last season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hitch has also had pretty good success with a close enough comparable in Hull. We simply need another goalscorer to succeed in the playoffs IMO. We can't just keep trying the same type of team over and over again.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Would the kings have won either year if they hadn't added Carter then Gaborik? mayyyybe the first time on Quick's back, but Carter still played a big part. Neither of those offensive oriented players hurt their overall defensive game

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The thing with Eberle is if you want to take the time to let him get used to the system. That could take a while, but I think Hitchcock could eventually turn him into a better defensive player. Let's face it, nobody on Edmonton is very good defensively.

I think he could be worth it for the right price. Like it's been said, he's only 24 and has almost been a two-time 30-goal scorer already. The talent is there, so it's intriguing. If we can get him for Berglund and a few other minor pieces I'd do it. I also think we have the players he could succeed with. If you play him with Stastny, and a forward like Steen or Jaskin on the other side, that's a pretty good line.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Would the kings have won either year if they hadn't added Carter then Gaborik? mayyyybe the first time on Quick's back, but Carter still played a big part. Neither of those offensive oriented players hurt their overall defensive game

And suddenly, I am interested.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The thing with Eberle is if you want to take the time to let him get used to the system. That could take a while, but I think Hitchcock could eventually turn him into a better defensive player. Let's face it, nobody on Edmonton is very good defensively.

I think he could be worth it for the right price. Like it's been said, he's only 24 and has almost been a two-time 30-goal scorer already. The talent is there, so it's intriguing. If we can get him for Berglund and a few other minor pieces I'd do it. I also think we have the players he could succeed with. If you play him with Stastny, and a forward like Steen or Jaskin on the other side, that's a pretty good line.

I think it's part of the reason why Army would prefer to do something earlier than later. He knows the exact strengths and weaknesses of this team, so if a team is looking to trade with a player that can fill a hole, it's better not to wait until the deadline.

If we trade for Eberle now, I'd have full confidence that Hitch would have plenty of time to get Eberle good enough to work in the system. He can be sheltered with offensive zone starts and PP time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Anyone have a guess at how salary would work out the next couple of years with eberle?

Eberle can fit this season. Next season, we would dump Ott and depending on what type of extensions, we'd have to give, maybe we'd be forced to move Oshie for futures and a cheaper replacement if an internal option isn't ready.

We could have 2 playoffs with an absolutely stacked top 9 if Army gets creative with it.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Anyone have a guess at how salary would work out the next couple of years with eberle?

If we got Eberle for Berglund+, then Oshie would be gone in the summer. We'd need the cap space, and we'd basically need the roster space. If Sobotka decides to come back, we'll either need to trade him or trade Ott. That would give us enough space to sign Tarasenko long term (~$6.5m), give Allen and Cole modest raises and fill out the rest of the roster. That's assuming no rise in the cap. Things are a little awkward, but nothing too bad.

Going into 2016/17? There could very easily be a choice between Backes or Lehterä, irrespective of anything else. Beyond that, a lot would depend on how our prospects have developed over what would need to happen.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Eberle can fit this season. Next season, we would dump Ott and depending on what type of extensions, we'd have to give, maybe we'd be forced to move Oshie for futures and a cheaper replacement if an internal option isn't ready.

We could have 2 playoffs with an absolutely stacked top 9 if Army gets creative with it.

In these scenarios, what would lines look like this year and next if you had to take a random crack at it

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think it's part of the reason why Army would prefer to do something earlier than later. He knows the exact strengths and weaknesses of this team, so if a team is looking to trade with a player that can fill a hole, it's better not to wait until the deadline.

If we trade for Eberle now, I'd have full confidence that Hitch would have plenty of time to get Eberle good enough to work in the system. He can be sheltered with offensive zone starts and PP time.
Yeah, and if you know Berglund will be gone in the offseason and want another scorer, then you might as well just make the move now if that's what Army feels we'll need in the postseason.

Going from Berglund and Lindstrom to Eberle and Jaskin in our top 9 would be an upgrade. We'd likely lose Rattie, but that doesn't affect our current team, nor does that really hurt us at all in the future given the circumstances.

So, yeah, being #1 in the Central makes me think Armstrong won't give up any core pieces like Oshie yet, but a move around Berglund would definitely be alright with me, and give Eberle enough time to get used to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad