Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The whole Tarasenko situation is the mystery box. He might not even want to go now, the smiles seem genuine, but they did expose him to Seattle. How do we price him at this point? 2022 1st + A-prospect? Who are the A-prospects on prospective Eastern contenders that fit Blues needs?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we can make cap work this season with Tarasenko, and upgrade LHD, and not get killed with bonus overage, then we keep him. I don't think anything has significantly changed. There was never going to be bad blood among the players, assuming Tarasenko simply showed up and trained/practiced as he always has. Issues with coaches in terms of PP usage were never big ones, especially with Hoffman gone, he'd go back to his main spot. As long as he produces, he'll keep that spot. The issues with medical were always the main reasons.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Two main ways to approach adding LD with a sizable cap hit. (1) Retention + send Scandella back along with the real value, or (2) by moving Tarasenko to create room. If Armstrong decides he wants to add this LHD while keeping Scandella, and a team is offering him value for Tarasenko that Armstrong thinks helps the Blues, what does that look like in terms of concrete examples? Since his value was perceived to be lower in the summer, I don't know that there were many offers discussed involving value we would now expect back.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Good offensive instincts, a little soft, and not great defensively. He is a good PMD, but really more of what we already have in terms of team needs.

Beginning to think that our "need" for LD is overblown.

I think we have all we need up and down the lineup, especially if we keep scoring like this.

We're not going to find the two things this team needs on the trading market in my opinion: luck and health.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Beginning to think that our "need" for LD is overblown.

I think we have all we need up and down the lineup, especially if we keep scoring like this.

We're not going to find the two things this team needs on the trading market in my opinion: luck and health.

Agree with you. There is no urgency to address this right now, but we'll see where we are after the midway point. I think it's much more likely that we add a depth defenseman to upgrade Walman instead of a top pair guy like some fans want. But of course that depends on who stays healthy.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
An historic explosion of offense in the first five games of the season does not convince me even slightly that they don't need someone to help them endure the momentum duress all postseason teams must withstand. Tampa had all the offense and goaltending in the world along with the best defender in the world and they still added Savard because they know, just like we viscerally know, the playoff forechecking duress of focused hard matchups against high quality opponents is different qualitatively than regular season competition. In fact I would argue our fan base has the richest dataset of anyone to enable us to know this in our bones.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
An historic explosion of offense in the first five games of the season does not convince me even slightly that they don't need someone to help them endure the momentum duress all postseason teams must withstand. Tampa had all the offense and goaltending in the world along with the best defender in the world and they still added Savard because they know, just like we viscerally know, the playoff forechecking duress of focused hard matchups against high quality opponents is different qualitatively than regular season competition. In fact I would argue our fan base has the richest dataset of anyone to enable us to know this in our bones.

Pretty much every contending team makes some kind of move at the deadline, but it all depends on what players are available and how healthy our roster is as we head closer to the deadline. There is also the salary cap to consider, so I don't see any urgency to try and make a deal in the near future. I would agree with you that we could use another LHD if we're truly making a run this year, the question is will it be a top pair guy or a solid, bottom 4 veteran type? In my opinion, Army is more likely to add another low-cost D first guy like Scandella instead of outbidding multiple other teams for someone like Lindholm, but we will see.

I like the post though, solid vocabulary throughout. Reads like an NFL films documentary. Just sync it up to some dramatic orchestral music and you're all set!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Pretty much every contending team makes some kind of move at the deadline, but it all depends on what players are available and how healthy our roster is as we head closer to the deadline. There is also the salary cap to consider, so I don't see any urgency to try and make a deal in the near future. I would agree with you that we could use another LHD if we're truly making a run this year, the question is will it be a top pair guy or a solid, bottom 4 veteran type? In my opinion, Army is more likely to add another low-cost D first guy like Scandella instead of outbidding multiple other teams for someone like Lindholm, but we will see.

I like the post though, solid vocabulary throughout. Reads like an NFL films documentary. Just sync it up to some dramatic orchestral music and you're all set!

If Army feels he can sign Lindholm, then I could see us paying the price for him - we have done this a few times. If not, Army generally doesn't add unless it is a mid level depth piece.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Several teams will be very interested in Lindholm if he's available. Florida, NYI come to mind. The Blues have the pieces to make a competitive offer.

An unknown is the long term Krug-Perunovich plan. Play them both? Both in the top-4 or both in the bottom-4? Move Perunovich because Krug isn't going anywhere? Figure out how to move a still-valuable Krug in the offseason despite his NTC? (seems unlikeliest)

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
The 5-0 start is awesome but I won’t ignore the fact we played:
Colorado: without MacKinnon/Landeskog
Vegas: without Stone/Pacioretty
LA: without Doughty
Arizona: without an NHL roster to begin with

We have been missing players at forward so I’m not taking too much away from the great start. However, I will certainly recognize that 3 of our 5 wins came against awful teams and Colorado and Vegas were missing significant offensive firepower.

Our true needs on defense will be determined by Jan/Feb as the sample size grows larger. My gut says we will need help in order to shut down the Avs/Knights at 100%. I don’t think the D has been that great to begin the year. I believe we are middle of the pack in expected goals against.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The 5-0 start is awesome but I won’t ignore the fact we played:
Colorado: without MacKinnon/Landeskog
Vegas: without Stone/Pacioretty
LA: without Doughty
Arizona: without an NHL roster to begin with

We have been missing players at forward so I’m not taking too much away from the great start. However, I will certainly recognize that 3 of our 5 wins came against awful teams and Colorado and Vegas were missing significant offensive firepower.

Our true needs on defense will be determined by Jan/Feb as the sample size grows larger. My gut says we will need help in order to shut down the Avs/Knights at 100%. I don’t think the D has been that great to begin the year. I believe we are middle of the pack in expected goals against.

Losses and wins don’t care about a teams health. See us last season.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The thing to take away from the great start is: this is definitely a playoff team, and think about how it will be built by the time the playoffs arrive.

Reactions: Meatball

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I'm still not sold on this defensive core in terms of us being an actual contender. There are many ebbs and flows throughout the season. Can't lose sight of the bigger picture because of the results of a handful of games. We had great stretches last year as well and still got swept R1. Lots of reason to be excited on offense though.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues probably want a 1st and a prospect back for Tarasenko.
Anaheim probably wants a 1st and a prospect back for Lindholm.
Both are oft-injured, franchise-caliber guys who have taken a back seat on their own teams.
Tarasenko has one year remaining; Lindholm is UFA. Ducks could use some help up front to take the pressure off their young stars; and you'd have to think Tarasenko would extend in SoCal.

Could there be a deal between these two clubs? Seemingly no, since the Ducks are in a full rebuild...but I still drool thought of upgrading LD. If Scandella is dealt, Lindholm becomes possible...IF Tarasenko is also being moved this season. A lot depends on if Army is willing to sell #91 with him playing so well...guess we'll find out.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Blues probably want a 1st and a prospect back for Tarasenko.
Anaheim probably wants a 1st and a prospect back for Lindholm.
Both are oft-injured, franchise-caliber guys who have taken a back seat on their own teams.
Tarasenko has one year remaining; Lindholm is UFA. Ducks could use some help up front to take the pressure off their young stars; and you'd have to think Tarasenko would extend in SoCal.

Could there be a deal between these two clubs? Seemingly no, since the Ducks are in a full rebuild...but I still drool thought of upgrading LD. If Scandella is dealt, Lindholm becomes possible...IF Tarasenko is also being moved this season. A lot depends on if Army is willing to sell #91 with him playing so well...guess we'll find out.

The Ducks make sense for Tarasenko, but Tarasenko makes very little sense for the Ducks. They have players like Zegras, Drysdale, and MacTavish up but need some time before they become what they're going to become. Well, maybe not Zegras. But they would take a 1st and a prospect over Tank just based on timeline, not to mention salary. Unless we're retaining, which no one here wants. I think our best play for Lindholm would be a 3-team deal with NJ or NYI/R receiving Tarasenko and offering up assets to Anaheim, but those are quite rare and complicated.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Two main ways to approach adding LD with a sizable cap hit. (1) Retention + send Scandella back along with the real value, or (2) by moving Tarasenko to create room. If Armstrong decides he wants to add this LHD while keeping Scandella, and a team is offering him value for Tarasenko that Armstrong thinks helps the Blues, what does that look like in terms of concrete examples? Since his value was perceived to be lower in the summer, I don't know that there were many offers discussed involving value we would now expect back.
the rub here is, NJ seems to be the (only?) team that could take Vladi without sending a ton of cap back or need retention.

from his list of desireables anyways

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The Ducks make sense for Tarasenko, but Tarasenko makes very little sense for the Ducks. They have players like Zegras, Drysdale, and MacTavish up but need some time before they become what they're going to become. Well, maybe not Zegras. But they would take a 1st and a prospect over Tank just based on timeline, not to mention salary. Unless we're retaining, which no one here wants. I think our best play for Lindholm would be a 3-team deal with NJ or NYI/R receiving Tarasenko and offering up assets to Anaheim, but those are quite rare and complicated.

If I remember correctly, Tarasenko made a trade list over the summer with teams he considered to be contenders. Anaheim is near the bottom of the league at this point. I don't think he would waive his NTC to go there.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
If I remember correctly, Tarasenko made a trade list over the summer with teams he considered to be contenders. Anaheim is near the bottom of the league at this point. I don't think he would waive his NTC to go there.

Contenders cap space midseason is very hard to come by. Except Tampa, they always find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad