Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think the Blues are one piece away from regaining their Cup-contender status...but that one piece that is missing will be incredibly expensive to try to acquire. I'd hope Army would be all-in on Lindholm or Giordano if either were to become available...but both guys have been career west-coasters and I can't see a huge desire for either to come to STL aside from a desire to win a Cup (which admittedly could be huge).

Giordano, simply due to his age, would likely be a one-year rental...a short-term plug of an immediate hole. If the Kraken fall out of the playoff race, Francis would be foolish not to trade him for franchise-building assets. (Though, based on the expansion draft, Francis seems fully capable of foolishness with his decision making).
Lindholm, would be a target to trade and re-sign, but perhaps still has enough tread left on the tires for the Ducks to want to extend him and have him around to nurture the youth, rather than give way to it. Teams, even bad ones, rarely let their top defensemen leave their control, so I'd expect him to be re-signed quickly...but the longer he goes without a new deal, the more likely he is to become available, I'd guess.

At TDL how much would you be willing to part with to acquire either? After seeing Army acquire Schenn and ROR for very reasonable prices perhaps there are enough pieces to entice a club to deal their guy rather than keep him around. I'd expect the prices for each guy to be similar (2022 1st, decent prospect, roster-player/dump, additional pick) if Lindholm is adamant about testing UFA; otherwise he'd command a significantly higher price than the aged-veteran, Giordano, if he were to come with an extension in tow.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't expect Gio to be on the market unless things go catastrophically bad for the Kraken. They gave him the C and by all accounts he is a great veteran presence that you want in your room. Even if they are out of the playoff race, I think they will be working to extend him on a 1 year deal if he is still playing well enough to be worth a valuable asset at the deadline. I think he is very much a "you hold on to him to promote the right culture" kind of guy in a team's first year. If they like their locker room enough to not immediately blow it up for parts, then I think he sticks around. But more importantly, that division is bad and I think it is very unlikely that they are way out of the race by the deadline. They aren't a team that will be sellers at the deadline just because they are 5 points back and likely to get rolled in the 1st round. They are building a fanbase and playing meaningful games down the stretch has more value to them than most other teams.

Lindholm is the most obvious rental target for me and I would also throw Nick Leddy into that mix. He's been a 2/3 D man on the Isles for back-to-back runs to the Conference Final and I think most people would be surprised to hear that he got slightly more even strength TOI than Pulock in the playoffs in each of those years. I'm not a big Leddy fan, but he might wind up being the best LHD rental on the market and his value might take a hit getting caved in with the Wings all season.

Count me out for paying a 1st + decent prospect + maybe more for a pure rental to plug the LD hole this season unless we scoop up those assets in a Tarasenko trade (or believe we can recoup those assets in a Tarasenko trade this summer). I see Colorado taking a smallish step back next year and struggling to supplement the core in a stagnant cap. They are motivated this year and if we're going all in for 1 season I'd rather do it next year than this year (I also think our team is better in 2022/23 than it will be this year). I'd rather pay a bigger cost for a 3-4 year solution at LD, even if that means not finding a deal mid-season and pushing it to this summer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have been wondering if part of Neighbours making the squad was to add talent with the idea of having him be a top 9 player when a Tarasenko trade eventually gets made. Seravalli mentions Laine, Duchene is another example

SERAVALLI: Ice Breakers - Blackhawks Open To Moving Dylan Strome - Daily Faceoff

> Keep an eye on Vladimir Tarasenko‘s start in St. Louis. To this point, everyone has done and said the right things, playing nice in the sandbox – but that doesn’t change the fact that Tarasenko still strongly desires a trade.
If Tarasenko gets off to a hot start, a trade could well materialize. Think back to last season: Patrik Laine entered the year in a similar situation, scored twice on opening night, and was soon moved to Columbus for Pierre-Luc Dubois.
The same could happen here. Tarasenko has let it be known he is finally healthy after two botched shoulder surgeries, but the 29-year-old proving he is back to his consistent 30-goal sniper self is another matter. Tarasenko has two years remaining on his contract at a $7.5 million cap hit, while next season’s actual cash payment drops down to $5.5 million.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't expect Gio to be on the market unless things go catastrophically bad for the Kraken. They gave him the C and by all accounts he is a great veteran presence that you want in your room. Even if they are out of the playoff race, I think they will be working to extend him on a 1 year deal if he is still playing well enough to be worth a valuable asset at the deadline. I think he is very much a "you hold on to him to promote the right culture" kind of guy in a team's first year. If they like their locker room enough to not immediately blow it up for parts, then I think he sticks around. But more importantly, that division is bad and I think it is very unlikely that they are way out of the race by the deadline. They aren't a team that will be sellers at the deadline just because they are 5 points back and likely to get rolled in the 1st round. They are building a fanbase and playing meaningful games down the stretch has more value to them than most other teams.

Lindholm is the most obvious rental target for me and I would also throw Nick Leddy into that mix. He's been a 2/3 D man on the Isles for back-to-back runs to the Conference Final and I think most people would be surprised to hear that he got slightly more even strength TOI than Pulock in the playoffs in each of those years. I'm not a big Leddy fan, but he might wind up being the best LHD rental on the market and his value might take a hit getting caved in with the Wings all season.

Count me out for paying a 1st + decent prospect + maybe more for a pure rental to plug the LD hole this season unless we scoop up those assets in a Tarasenko trade (or believe we can recoup those assets in a Tarasenko trade this summer). I see Colorado taking a smallish step back next year and struggling to supplement the core in a stagnant cap. They are motivated this year and if we're going all in for 1 season I'd rather do it next year than this year (I also think our team is better in 2022/23 than it will be this year). I'd rather pay a bigger cost for a 3-4 year solution at LD, even if that means not finding a deal mid-season and pushing it to this summer.
I’m out on paying 1st for a rental, especially since this is more of a want than a need. That basically never works. I’d pay for lindholm with extension at our 6.5 going rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
I’m out on paying 1st for a rental, especially since this is mire of a want than a need. That basically never works. I’d pay for lindholm with extension at our 6.5 going rate.
Say you can get him extended and retained 50% this year. Is there a price point that works for both sides?
1st, Barbashev, Kostin, scandella/bortz (+?)
Lindholm 50% + extension
Doubt we get him extended for what we want, but that’s a legit cup contending team

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Say you can get him extended and retained 50% this year. Is there a price point that works for both sides?
1st, Barbashev, Kostin, scandella/bortz (+?)
Lindholm 50% + extension
Doubt we get him extended for what we want, but that’s a legit cup contending team
I'd do 1st, Kostin, and lesser prospect (anyone other than Bolduc, Neighbours, Hofer, or Perunovich) if he comes with reasonable extension.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I'd do 1st, Kostin, and lesser prospect (anyone other than Bolduc, Neighbours, Hofer, or Perunovich) if he comes with reasonable extension.

Admittedly I might still be a little too hopeful about Kostin (mainly as a very good 4th liner alongside Joshua), so I'm probably overvaluing him. But, if we are bringing in an extended Lindholm, I'm substituting Mikkola for Kostin as a trade chip ideally as Mik becomes very expendable in that scenario. I hate giving up a first in next year's draft though.
Our second rounder is already gone in the Buch trade. With the talk that it's a bumper crop draft, I'd hate not drafting til the 3rd round if that would be the case. I want to keep our top picks and get a first pairing LD.
If lindholm is here, can we get the Ducks to take Krug and 91 (after both have solid 4 month starts to the year), Mikkola plus a prospect not named anyone that Blueston mentioned?
Perunovich develops into our version of Krug very quickly in my ideal scenario. Or Walman continues a crazy ascent into a solid 2nd/3rd pairing guy. Dreaming I know. But sometimes ...

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I would prefer a bigger LD. Our D is getting small enough.

Id be less worried about his size, and more about his age. He’s on a 1-year deal, how much and how long would we have to pay him after this season? We’re already gonna have a really old team in a few years. But the dude can still play extremely well. I’ve been a fan of his since he was with the blackhawks. In the right scenario, if he’s even available, you add him to this roster for sure.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Eklund- Blues are in on Eichel…big time

Thomas + Perunovich + Tarasenko + Neighbors + 2022 1st

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Eklund- Blues are in on Eichel…big time

Thomas + Perunovich + Tarasenko + Neighbors + 2022 1st
That just seems almost diametrically opposite of Armstrong's core philosophy for building a team. I just think all this rumor crap is manipulations from one side or the other trying to affect his trade value. I don't believe for a minute Armstrong would do this, and I believe Buffalo would dare to trade him to St Louis even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad