Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The top pairing guy we need is Parayko. If we add someone it will be guy who we think complements colt and helps him reach his best level, as JayBo did. I don’t think chycrun is that guy.

I feel like Mikkola is similar to JBo, but now Parayko has a bigger role than he had in the past. Now that Petro is gone, Parayko has to do more than just shut down opponents. He needs to contribute more offensively and to do that, he needs a better partner than either JBo or Mikkola could have been.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Bolduc is basically the only other first even in consideration because Thomas isn’t going anywhere, and Bokk, Thompson, Fabbri are no longer around. Technically Tarasenko is a former 1st rounder….Don’t think that’s what he means, and he’s no waiving to go to Arizona.
Logan Brown was a first. And a bigger first than any of our firsts.

Reactions: 542365

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I feel like Mikkola is similar to JBo, but now Parayko has a bigger role than he had in the past. Now that Petro is gone, Parayko has to do more than just shut down opponents. He needs to contribute more offensively and to do that, he needs a better partner than either JBo or Mikkola could have been.
Miko is similar to JayBo like a VW Passat is similar to an M5. Both cars have German badges and 4 doors, but..

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Any chance we could get Kylington out of Calgary? They’d pretty much have to tear it down before they decide to trade a 24 year old Dman who is just starting to come into his own. Skates very well, is reasonably physical, and can make a play with the puck. He’d be a great addition.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Miko is similar to JayBo like a VW Passat is similar to an M5. Both cars have German badges and 4 doors, but..

Jbo was a more fluid skater, but Miko is more physical and active in the O zone. Let's not pretend there's a big difference between the two. Even their PPG is very similar. It's so easy to inflate the abilities of past players.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Jbo was a more fluid skater, but Miko is more physical and active in the O zone. Let's not pretend there's a big difference between the two.
No. JayBo was a top pair guy for over a decade, Canadian Olympian, and 2 time all star. Miko is 25 and played 60 career games. Miko has yet to establish himself as a legit top 4 guy. He struggles with positioning, outlet passes, and taking penalties. He is only playing on top pair bc Scandella and Parayko were one of worst combos in league. Miko has been less bad. But the love some folks on here have been showing him is mostly wishful thinking.

Reactions: TK 421

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I think JBo's IQ and play under pressure vastly outclasses Mikkola's.

No. JayBo was a top pair guy for over a decade, Canadian Olympian, and 2 time all star. Miko is 25 and played 60 career games. Miko has yet to establish himself as a legit top 4 guy. He struggles with positioning, outlet passes, and taking penalties. He is only playing on top pair bc Scandella and Parayko were one of worst combos in league. Miko has been less bad. But the love some folks on here have been showing him is mostly wishful thinking.

JBo was very calm in all situations, absolutely. But we didn't lose Olympian JBo, 2 time all-star. That's not the version of JBo that played with Parayko in 2019. That's who we are talking about. Regardless, as I was discussing earlier, having that version of JBo here right now wouldn't change anything anyways. Army would still be looking for an upgrade because Parayko-JBo was an elite second pairing. They were never the top pairing that won us the cup.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
JBo was very calm in all situations, absolutely. But we didn't lose Olympian JBo, 2 time all-star. That's not the version of JBo that played with Parayko in 2019. That's who we are talking about.
He had certainly lost a couple steps, but he was super smart. That is what Parayko needs in a partner. Not some swift skater who doesn’t think game at high level. It’s not physical. It’s mental.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
He had certainly lost a couple steps, but he was super smart. That is what Parayko needs in a partner. Not some swift skater who doesn’t think game at high level. It’s not physical. It’s mental.

Talking about JBo is completely irrelevant at this point because having him here wouldn't change anything. We need more than 2019 JBo with Parayko because Parayko is now expected to be THE guy. He never had to be when Petro was here.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Talking about JBo is completely irrelevant at this point because having him here wouldn't change anything. We need more than 2019 JBo with Parayko because Parayko is now expected to be THE guy. He never had to be when Petro was here.
You were one who compared them!

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
JBo was very calm in all situations, absolutely. But we didn't lose Olympian JBo, 2 time all-star. That's not the version of JBo that played with Parayko in 2019. That's who we are talking about. Regardless, as I was discussing earlier, having that version of JBo here right now wouldn't change anything anyways. Army would still be looking for an upgrade because Parayko-JBo was an elite second pairing. They were never the top pairing that won us the cup.
My only comment was about JBo's Calmness and IQ being major bonuses over Mikkola due to you saying there wasn't a big difference in them. They are two different players with different strengths. JBo was an extremely intelligent and calm player while Mikkola is more of a rough bruiser type player. There is definitely differences in them.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I so strongly disagree with this! Having JBo right now would drastically improve our defense. He would have a solid, calming effect on our blue line. I think we miss JBo right now more than Pietrangelo.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Jbo was a more fluid skater, but Miko is more physical and active in the O zone. Let's not pretend there's a big difference between the two. Even their PPG is very similar. It's so easy to inflate the abilities of past players.

There is a huge difference between the two. Bouwmeester was considered elite even before his NHL career started, was drafted 3rd overall and was one of the top defensive and skating d-men in the league who played 23 minutes per game at the age of 23. Mikkola will never be close to the player J-Bo was, and that's.....ok. It's probably easy to dismiss Bouwmeester's abilities because they can't easily be quantified by statistics, but he was one of the smoothest, smartest d-men in the league for a long time.

I also don't really think Parayko needs to worry about producing more offensively. We have Krug and Faulk to take a lot of the workload as well, so I don't see a need for a do-it-all 1D. If anything, Parayko needs to become more of a leader and more assertive as I'm sure he deferred to J-Bo while they were together. He has a lot more responsibility defensively, but we don't really need him to be a #1 offensive guy as well.

Last edited:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I excluded any guys who could veto a trade when coming up with it. I don't know why any player with a choice would approve a deal to go to a McDavidless Oilers.

That limits the stud #1D men they might target. Fox, Makar, Heiskanen, Chabot, McAvoy and Hughes are all young enough that they don't have trade protection yet. Hedman, Josi, Ekblad, Petro, Hamilton, and Doughty all have full NMCs.

I don't think that the Rangers could swing it with the other contracts on the books. The Rangers have Zibby, Panarin, Kreider, and Trouba locked in for $34.6M for the life of McDavid's deal and they have full NMCs. Add Connor's $12.5M and their up to $47.1M on 5 guys with a pretty thin D group. Suddenly they are getting into the same depth problems the Oilers have had, don't have an adequate D and the other futures required to get McDavid prevent them from addressing it.

The Avs could probably make it work, but McDavid, Landy, and Rantanen would be a $28.75M trio up front. Add in MacKinnon and Johnson's deals and you're spending $41M on 5 guys. Mac is going to get pretty much every dime of Johnson's expiring deal when he hits UFA in 2023, so then it is $41M on 4 guys. If Makar is gone, can they really build a D group and forward depth around that?

The Bruins could make it work financially, but their core is aging and I don't know that they have the pieces internally to build a good enough D group without McAvoy.

I don't know how the Stars make it work with Benn and Seguin. That D group would be brutal after losing Heiskanen (and Klingberg who they clearly aren't paying what he wants) and I don't think they have a great plan in net. I see them running into the same issue as the Oilers trying to plug half a dozen holes around $30M+ on 3 forwards.

The Sens probably could fit McDavid, but I don't think that they have the pieces internally to build a good enough group around him after they lose Chabot and the boatload of picks/prospects/young guys needed to make that appealing for the Oilers. And unless they are content losing the remaining youngsters when they are do raises, they aren't solving many issues in UFA.

I don't see the Oilers even consider moving him inside the Pacific.

I'm sure they want that stud D, but I think it will be really, really difficult to acquire in a deal that also nets multiple additional quality assets. They just couldn't do another 1 for 1 deal where they lose out on obvious value just to target a position of weakness. I think trading Connor would signal a clear "burn it to the ground and rise from the ashes" rebuild where they would be hoping to get a couple good D futures that could be the stud D of the future.

A result of Army's "death by a thousand cuts" plan is that our money is spread out pretty well. Our top 5 highest paid guys would combine for $39.5M if you swapped ROR+++ for McDavid, but it would be a mix of 2 forwards and 3 D. Our 2nd highest salary would come off the books when some young guys are due raises and then trade protection starts disappearing on the $6-6.5M deals and you can make some cap moves. We have more ability to take on a single big contract than most good teams.

this trade starts with Thomas and Parayko.. not sure if they'd take Binnington or not, but they need a goalie, and we'd need to send cap back so...

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
But Bouwmeester was coming to that role from the side of being a much bigger offensive piece initially, to later in his career (in St Louis) where he wasn't asked to do that. So instead he became a complimentary shut-down guy. With Mikkola, we have a young player who hasn't fully established himself in the league yet, trying to assert his ceiling. Its no slam on Mikkola to say he's not as good as Bouwmeester was.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I so strongly disagree with this! Having JBo right now would drastically improve our defense. He would have a solid, calming effect on our blue line. I think we miss JBo right now more than Pietrangelo.
Its true, Bouwmeester would fit the current defense's deficiencies much better than Pietro would today, everything else being equal. That's true because Faulk and Krug between them have supplied what Pietro was giving. But Bouwmeester was never adequately replaced. Its certainly not an easy thing to do.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Someone had asked before but, would you give a 3rd to Chicago for De Haan @ full retention? He's actually playing fairly good defensively for the Hawks and could be a decent buy low rental. He's also usually playing 19-21 minutes a night.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Someone had asked before but, would you give a 3rd to Chicago for De Haan @ full retention? He's actually playing fairly good defensively for the Hawks and could be a decent buy low rental. He's also usually playing 19-21 minutes a night.
Only if we have rash of injuries in D. We don’t need another bottom pairing guy and I don’t think he’s good enough to play in top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad