Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I don’t think that is correct.

per cap friendly

1. The Training-Camp Equation

The training camp equation can be used on the last day of training camp in preparation for the first day of the season:
    ACSL = Team cap hit - LTIR player’s cap hit

Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, on the last day of the off-season a team has a projected cap hit of $78M and places a player with an AAV of $3.5M on LTIR:
    Team cap hit = $78M
    Player’s cap hit = $3.5M
    ACSL = $78M - $3.5M = $74.5M

To accrue cap space while the team continues to use LTIR, they would need to trade players to get below a projected cap hit value of $74.5M
  • Isn’t this exactly what the Steen circumstance is??

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
per cap friendly

1. The Training-Camp Equation

The training camp equation can be used on the last day of training camp in preparation for the first day of the season:
    ACSL = Team cap hit - LTIR player’s cap hit

Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, on the last day of the off-season a team has a projected cap hit of $78M and places a player with an AAV of $3.5M on LTIR:
    Team cap hit = $78M
    Player’s cap hit = $3.5M
    ACSL = $78M - $3.5M = $74.5M

To accrue cap space while the team continues to use LTIR, they would need to trade players to get below a projected cap hit value of $74.5M
  • Isn’t this exactly what the Steen circumstance is??
I may have misunderstood what you were saying. There is common misconception here that team needs to be cap compliant counting LTIR-injured players when season starts. Team can exceed by up to LTIR salary on day 1. But as what you quoted illustrates, won’t accrue cap space using ltir to stay compliant.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I may have misunderstood what you were saying. There is common misconception here that team needs to be cap compliant counting LTIR-injured players when season starts. Team can exceed by up to LTIR salary on day 1. But as what you quoted illustrates, won’t accrue cap space using ltir to stay compliant.

Friedman tweeted the following concerning Steen:

"So, clarification here....it is similar to Johnny Boychuk. While he will not play, he will still be paid and hit applies"

This seems pretty cut and dry that his cap hit counts even if he is LTIR.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Friedman tweeted the following concerning Steen:

"So, clarification here....it is similar to Johnny Boychuk. While he will not play, he will still be paid and hit applies"

This seems pretty cut and dry that his cap hit counts even if he is LTIR.
Not that simple. Hit applies, but we can exceed cap by amount equal to salaries on LTIR.

Reactions: BlueDream

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Anyone else wondering if there is something going on with Dunn not being resigned yet? I understood waiting for the specifics of the new season to be announced before committing any money, but now that it's official I would have assumed they would have gotten this done so they would know how much of the Steen LTIR they would have to play with. Krug and Scandella will be playing top minutes on the left side, would the blues sell high on Dunn to bring in another top 6 forward, and roll with a bottom pairing of Gunnar or Mikkola playing with Bortz or Peunevich?

Krug/Parayko
Scandella/Faulk
Gunnar/Mikkola-Bortz

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Anyone else wondering if there is something going on with Dunn not being resigned yet? I understood waiting for the specifics of the new season to be announced before committing any money, but now that it's official I would have assumed they would have gotten this done so they would know how much of the Steen LTIR they would have to play with. Krug and Scandella will be playing top minutes on the left side, would the blues sell high on Dunn to bring in another top 6 forward, and roll with a bottom pairing of Gunnar or Mikkola playing with Bortz or Peunevich?

Krug/Parayko
Scandella/Faulk
Gunnar/Mikkola-Bortz

As much as I like Dunn it would not surprise me as late as it's getting and still no signing.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Would you trade for PLD from Columbus. Likely cost us Thomas and Sanford. Two years at 5 million for a stud center.

I am not advocating it, because depth wins, but....

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Dubois is a great player.

But the cost wouldn't be worth it unless it was clear he would be in St. Louis for the long-run. Given his disappointment in a city like Columbus, I don't think he would enjoy St. Louis any more than where he is now.

Reactions: Blueston

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Dubois is a great player. But the cost wouldn't be worth it unless it was clear he would be in St. Louis for the long-run. Given his disappointment in a city like Columbus, I don't think he would enjoy St. Louis any more than where he is now.

I think you're spot on here. Dubois has acknowledged wanting to go to a bigger market to play in the spotlight.

Dubois been given the big minutes and performed well - he's bigger than Thomas and a year older. I'm not saying Thomas is the same caliber of player, but Thomas plays on a much deeper team and has developed pretty well - I'd be very hesitant to trade RT before seeing how he performs in a consistent top 6 role for a player I don't expect to stick around long term.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think you're spot on here. Dubois has acknowledged wanting to go to a bigger market to play in the spotlight.

Dubois been given the big minutes and performed well - he's bigger than Thomas and a year older. I'm not saying Thomas is the same caliber of player, but Thomas plays on a much deeper team and has developed pretty well - I'd be very hesitant to trade RT before seeing how he performs in a consistent top 6 role for a player I don't expect to stick around long term.
This is interesting question. PLD is fantastic player and really showed in playoffs last year how he can dominate. I love Thomas but he hasn’t shown to date what PLD has, although he is admittedly 1 year younger.

But Thomas has improved every year, won everywhere he has been, and seems to be embedded into the culture of the team. We don’t know what his ceiling is and it may well be as good or better than PLD. Coupled with he is younger and cheaper. and then there is worry about about why he wants to be traded, whether he would be happy here.

so it’s a tough call, but I lean towards I wouldn’t swap Thomas for him but wouldn’t be terribly upset if we did.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Not trading Thomas for PLD unless there were more years on his deal

He would be an RFA at the end of the deal. I haven’t seen any reason nor do I think he has given any as to why he wants out. Maybe Torts , maybe he wants a bigger market...

Thomas and Sanford would be a better offer then anything else I have read on the trade boards. We get the best player in the deal, and if we had more knowledge about tarasenko long term, I would consider it.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Friedman has said that he wants a bigger market, and the issue isn't something that could be resolved. While he's had issues with Torts, he also accepts that Torts had helped him improve.

If getting an extension wasn't an issue, we'd be crazy not to want him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
We wouldn’t be cap compliant if we went PLD for Thomas and Sanford. And we’d be giving up our most dynamic playmaker and driver of 5v5 offense. Make it schenn and Kyrou for PLD lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad