Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I could live without seeing Clifford in a Blues jersey ever again. Would rather any of the extras listed playing in that spot. And I really hope we don't see him

I don't disagree.
But we're stuck with him for another year.
We aren't buying him out.
He won't be taken by Seattle.
It's doubtful we could move him in a trade.

He is nothing but a placeholder until Neighbours is ready, but he's not going anywhere.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't disagree.
But we're stuck with him for another year.
We aren't buying him out.
He won't be taken by Seattle.
It's doubtful we could move him in a trade.

He is nothing but a placeholder until Neighbours is ready, but he's not going anywhere.
Damn! I thought he was only a 1 year deal.

I didn't think he was a necessary signing from the start. It's not like we are a young team who needs a 2x Cup vet. We're an older team with recent experience that our young players also got. To remember it's another year makes it worse

Reactions: BlueMed

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Value is probably pretty close, but I just don't see a benefit to making it on our end. A pick in the late 30s does nothing for our team now, and it's not a super enticing piece when it comes to acquiring a roster upgrade
FWIW I was taking with a canucks fan on the mainboards about Schmidt. Apparently a Scandella + 2nd for Schmidt deal could be a good fit for them. Would that change your mind at all?

In total we would essentially be looking at Dunn + Scandella for Schmidt + 4th (with the 2nd being part of the deal + losing one of Blais/Barbashev/Sanford/hopefully not Sunny in the ED)...that's a tidy bit of work IMO!

Reactions: mk80

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
FWIW I was taking with a canucks fan on the mainboards about Schmidt. Apparently a Scandella + 2nd for Schmidt deal could be a good fit for them. Would that change your mind at all?

In total we would essentially be looking at Dunn + Scandella for Schmidt + 4th (with the 2nd being part of the deal + losing one of Blais/Barbashev/Sanford/hopefully not Sunny in the ED)...that's a tidy bit of work IMO!

I would do Scandella+2nd for Schmidt all day long

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Right?

I really like Scandy and was/am hoping we could keep him and have him basically be our Gunnar replacement for the next few years (solid vet dman who would ideally slot on the bottom pairing of a contender but can play up the lineup)...but if you can upgrade the roster, you have to upgrade the roster.

Reactions: mk80 and BlueMed

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Right?

I really like Scandy and was/am hoping we could keep him and have him basically be our Gunnar replacement for the next few years (solid vet dman who would ideally slot on the bottom pairing of a contender but can play up the lineup)...but if you can upgrade the roster, you have to upgrade the roster.

Absolutely agreed. However, I would be pretty happy with a top 4 of Schmidt-Parayko and Krug-Faulk.

Reactions: Meatball and mk80

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
One of the reasons I would rather keep Dunn than Krug is because Dunn is a better skater. Our lack of speed, especially on the back end, was glaringly evident against the Avs. Both Dunn and Walman are very good skaters and are also significantly younger and cheaper than Krug. I would rather go with them on our LD next season. Scandella can be the shutdown guy on that side until we can find a faster replacement.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Damn! I thought he was only a 1 year deal.

I didn't think he was a necessary signing from the start. It's not like we are a young team who needs a 2x Cup vet. We're an older team with recent experience that our young players also got. To remember it's another year makes it worse

Well, the Blues team thought it was necessary so that's why they asked Army to go out and get some toughness. You need character guys with experience and guys who will stand up for their teammates when things get a bit chippy. So there clearly was a reason why they signed him. I'll never get why they let Maroon go in the first place for such a small salary.

I'd say Clifford is one of the few Blues who actually did his job well this year. It's not his fault that half of our top 9 just decided not to show up this season.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Hanifin, Schmidt or even a rental/flier on Goligoski or Hjalmarsson would be a good pickup IMO, especially if Dunn is the Seattle pick. At the least we could really use a vet LHD to replace what we had in Gunny.

I didn't even think about Saad. He'd fit very well with us and would hopefully be a permanent compliment (instead of the Blais/Barby/Sanford carousel) to ROR and Perron.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

Couple of questions: has Scandella played top-level shutdown minutes anytime and been the difference maker on that pairing? Because Schmidt played that role next to Alex Edler, eating up the toughest minutes, so if Scandella is part of the return then he'd better have that capability, otherwise it's no deal [i.e. if Parayko was carrying him then no dice].

Also, personally speaking I'd think Vancouver would ask for a young 3rd line/ shutdown C in any trade involving Schmidt (Robert Thomas or Sanford come to mind as shutdown types and it looks like both played center at times, but can either eat tough minutes, or is there a better young candidate [e.g. Barbashev/ Sundqvist] who could play that role?).

On a related note, what WOULD the Blues look to make available after getting knocked out by the Avs?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Couple of questions: has Scandella played top-level shutdown minutes anytime and been the difference maker on that pairing? Because Schmidt played that role next to Alex Edler, eating up the toughest minutes, so if Scandella is part of the return then he'd better have that capability, otherwise it's no deal [i.e. if Parayko was carrying him then no dice].

Also, personally speaking I'd think Vancouver would ask for a young 3rd line/ shutdown C in any trade involving Schmidt (Robert Thomas or Sanford come to mind as shutdown types and it looks like both played center at times, but can either eat tough minutes, or is there a better young candidate [e.g. Barbashev/ Sundqvist] who could play that role?).

On a related note, what WOULD the Blues look to make available after getting knocked out by the Avs?
Sanford can PK and has played against top lines, but not really at Center. Thomas is not the guy you want as a match up center for defense. He's more potential than reality right now, but its mainly as a top 6 play-making center with some rough spots in his game. I think Thomas has a lot more value than Sanford, but its getting closer than it used to be.

Scandella holds his own in a shut-down pairing. You wouldn't want him paired with a guy he has to carry, but he won't be a deficit on such a pairing. I doubt he's as good as you're describing, but I think you're overstating Schmidt in that role too, so...maybe its a good comparison?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The issue with Krug is he doesn't pair well with ANY of our other defenseman. I'm hoping he's better next year (Like how Faulk was night and day better between years one and two) But, if he's the exact same player next year as this year it's not going to be pretty at all.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Sanford can PK and has played against top lines, but not really at Center. Thomas is not the guy you want as a match up center for defense. He's more potential than reality right now, but its mainly as a top 6 play-making center with some rough spots in his game. I think Thomas has a lot more value than Sanford, but its getting closer than it used to be.

Scandella holds his own in a shut-down pairing. You wouldn't want him paired with a guy he has to carry, but he won't be a deficit on such a pairing. I doubt he's as good as you're describing, but I think you're overstating Schmidt in that role too, so...maybe its a good comparison?

Did the Blues rely on Bozak for that, or did O'Reilly and Schenn carry the brunt of that load? If it's the latter (and Barbashev/ Sundqvist are nothing more than 4th liners) then Vancouver just might be better off looking elsewhere for that 3rd line C (or signing Tyler for cheap if he's capable).

Schmidt in VGK was already carrying the load on the shutdown pair with McNabb, and while he and Edler were inconsistent in how they did, they became more steady as the season progressed (and they did take on the top forwards on the opposing team, to free Hughes from facing them AND being the primary offensive contributor from the blue-line). From how you put it, I could see him and Tyler Myers gelling and becoming a new shutdown pair as both are stable, but I think if that 3rd line C was available from you guys I'd still prioritize that ahead of getting a pick (though it's not a bad initial offer).

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Did the Blues rely on Bozak for that, or did O'Reilly and Schenn carry the brunt of that load? If it's the latter (and Barbashev/ Sundqvist are nothing more than 4th liners) then Vancouver just might be better off looking elsewhere for that 3rd line C (or signing Tyler for cheap if he's capable).

Schmidt in VGK was already carrying the load on the shutdown pair with McNabb, and while he and Edler were inconsistent in how they did, they became more steady as the season progressed (and they did take on the top forwards on the opposing team, to free Hughes from facing them AND being the primary offensive contributor from the blue-line). From how you put it, I could see him and Tyler Myers gelling and becoming a new shutdown pair as both are stable, but I think if that 3rd line C was available from you guys I'd still prioritize that ahead of getting a pick (though it's not a bad initial offer).

I would have no interest in trading sunny and or/barby to vancouver.. or losing them to Seattle for that matter

I agree with Yappi.. think schmidt is being overrated here

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If Edmonton gets swept, I wonder if they start shaking things up to the point where Nurse becomes available for Dunn+. Anyone know what Klefbom’s prognosis is for being available for their training camp? I think Edmonton is also the most likely landing spot for Schwartz.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If Edmonton gets swept, I wonder if they start shaking things up to the point where Nurse becomes available for Dunn+. Anyone know what Klefbom’s prognosis is for being available for their training camp? I think Edmonton is also the most likely landing spot for Schwartz.
Nurse had great year. He’s their clear #1. Can’t see him getting dealt. But would love to have him.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Nurse had great year. He’s their clear #1. Can’t see him getting dealt. But would love to have him.
man... if you read the Edmonton boards, those fans hate him.. he sucks...etc..

whenever I get a chance to catch one of their games, he always looks pretty good to me... no idea what that's about

Reactions: Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
man... if you read the Edmonton boards, those fans hate him.. he sucks...etc..

whenever I get a chance to catch one of their games, he always looks pretty good to me... no idea what that's about

Listening to the Oilers broadcast on Sirius XM, he even had a 4:45 shift in that first OT. I agree he always looks solid when I see him play.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

The intermission report showed him at 15:23 played in the 1st OT.

Regardless, he'd played ~28mins in regulation and is up to 56mins after the 2nd OT. That's some serious ice time to be throwing your top dman just because Tippett has shortened the bench - supposedly neither Bear nor Koekkeok are hurt, Tippett is just playing his top 4D currently.

I don't think the 4th line of Khaira, McLeod and Chiasson has been on the ice since OT started either. Curious to see if the bottom lines (4th and 3rd pairing) see any ice time if the game continues far into the 3rd OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad