Blues Trade Proposals 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Carolina have a really cheap owner. While they have just bought a first round pick for $4.25m, I don't see them taking Jake Allen when they are already saddled with an AHL goalie earning $7m+ over the next two years. Jake Allen with two more years at $4.35m, and earning a total of $9.2m, likely carries too much risk to return anything.

Those who are talking about moving Allen this summer... who are we replacing him with? If we're not getting a better goalie, what are we spending the cap space on to make us better and how much worse is our backup going to be?

As for Mikkola, he'll be judged on how he performed in the AHL last season. I don't believe that his performances there have him banging on the door of the NHL. I'm certainly not opposed to moving Edmundson, but that was his worst season in the League. Unless we believe that is the player that he is, moving him at his lowest value isn't ideal. Mikkola is waivers exempt, so let him come to camp and put in a performance where he's basically showing us that we need to make space for him. Otherwise he is in the AHL, hopefully as a first callup option.

I'm hopeful for Mikkola, but let's not forget that there were a couple of other Blues draft picks on that defence. Hakanpää had a more prominent role on the Finnish defence and he never got near the NHL when we brought him over, although has now got himself a contract in Anaheim. Lindbohm looked like he was ahead of Edmundson at a point, but he never had consistency.
You make valid points , however , i do see Carolina buying out Darling even though they are yet to & i absolutely feel Allen is a great fit for their organisation , no way they go into the season without adding a starting goalie , Alex Nedeljkovic hasn't gained the coaching staffs trust just yet & Allen at $4.35 million for 2 years is not a massive investment for a billionaire ( albeit a cheap one as you say) on a starting goalie .
I agree he'll be somewhat judged on his AHL performance but it would be foolhardy to ignore his performance in a much higher pressure situation at the Worlds albeit on bigger ice.
Asset Management is everything in a cap world & if we say acquired for example Haydn Fleury in a Allen transaction then Mikkola could start in the AHL , all we'd need to do is sign a vet to be a 6/7 defenseman on a cheap 1 year deal( i won't throw out names as the options are numerous) .
Obviously this is all hypothetical & i 100% have faith in Army to make the correct moves & will support them ( i hope lol) whatever they are .

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Btw funny that people say Binnington only played half season so he doesn't have longer sample size for deserve long term contract, but in same sentence they people announche Allen was good in last 19 games or final 10 games. :laugh:

I don't believe Allen wants out. WHO wouldn't like to be at bench and open door for 4.350mill.$?

It's also funny that different people can have different opinions. Crazy how that works!

Jake Allen is overpaid for a backup. However, when Binny signs his contract, the Blues will have about the same amount of money tied up in their 2 goalies that most teams have committed to their 2 goalies. It's really not a big deal.

What's interesting about Allen is that he was good for 75% of last year:
First 11 games: .879 save percentage
Last 35 games: .915 save percentage

Some people just don't like to admit that Allen turned it around last year. JUST LIKE THE ENTIRE TEAM.

If you don't like the small samples, let's look at the large sample: .911 career save percentage over 265 games. That's pretty solid for a backup goalie. Certainly better than Chad Johnson.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
You make valid points , however , i do see Carolina buying out Darling even though they are yet to & i absolutely feel Allen is a great fit for their organisation , no way they go into the season without adding a starting goalie , Alex Nedeljkovic hasn't gained the coaching staffs trust just yet & Allen at $4.35 million for 2 years is not a massive investment for a billionaire ( albeit a cheap one as you say) on a starting goalie .
I agree he'll be somewhat judged on his AHL performance but it would be foolhardy to ignore his performance in a much higher pressure situation at the Worlds albeit on bigger ice.
Asset Management is everything in a cap world & if we say acquired for example Haydn Fleury in a Allen transaction then Mikkola could start in the AHL , all we'd need to do is sign a vet to be a 6/7 defenseman on a cheap 1 year deal( i won't throw out names as the options are numerous) .
Obviously this is all hypothetical & i 100% have faith in Army to make the correct moves & will support them ( i hope lol) whatever they are .
I'm on board with trying to add Fleury. I floated the idea a few days ago on here about moving Edmundson for picks and trying to find a way to add Fleury. He looks ready to handle an NHL roster spot, whether as a #6 or a #7, and is young enough to have some good upside as a shutdown guy. It's just how much opportunity he'll be afforded in Carolina with the defensive talent they have. Bring Gunnarsson back and we could have eased him in.

The issue with Allen to Carolina is that they are a team that is trying to compete and they gambled on one goalie and lost, is there an appetite to do it again? Particularly with a goalie who failed on a better team.

It's possible though. I doubt the Russians want to go there and Carolina don't seem to be willing to meet the demands of Mrázek. That leaves Lehner as probably the only other UFA goalie that is better than Allen.

At that point, if we move Allen then who are we replacing him with? The UFA guys better than him are going to get more money and term. We could end up with another Chad Johnson as backup.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
At that point, if we move Allen then who are we replacing him with? The UFA guys better than him are going to get more money and term. We could end up with another Chad Johnson as backup.

I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, but if we somehow trade Allen away and need to get another experienced goalie, I wouldn't mind signing Curtis McElhinney for 1 or 2 years if it's purely as a backup. He's got decent stats as a backup and his next contract is probably cheap, which helps with signing other future FA's.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, but if we somehow trade Allen away and need to get another experienced goalie, I wouldn't mind signing Curtis McElhinney for 1 or 2 years if it's purely as a backup. He's got decent stats as a backup and his next contract is probably cheap, which helps with signing other future FA's.
McBackup!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I was just thinking with us diving into free agency. Has there been a team that has signed a high priced free agent that was happy with signing 3 years down the road?

I don’t men traded for during the season and signed in the off season. But a team that signed a high priced guy that was a UFA.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
I was just thinking with us diving into free agency. Has there been a team that has signed a high priced free agent that was happy with signing 3 years down the road?

I don’t men traded for during the season and signed in the off season. But a team that signed a high priced guy that was a UFA.
Off the top of my head, Hossa was a pretty good signing in 2009 through 2017 for the Blackhawks.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I get that Colorado has a lot of cap room, but you’d think that if Artemi is willing to live in a non-coastal city, STL should be able to at least get an interview.
We might be able to get an interview but I don’t think we’re really calling. I don’t think we have the cap space for him

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I get that Colorado has a lot of cap room, but you’d think that if Artemi is willing to live in a non-coastal city, STL should be able to at least get an interview.

Pretty sure he's just upping the bid from FLA. Wouldn't surprise me to hear of another team 'getting an interview' if Artemi doesn't like what he's hearing from Pronger but ultimately he just wants to live in his most desirable location. Getting to pick his destination is huge to him imo.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

It's just about not throwing stupid money at mediocre players. Like $50m at Kevin Hayes. Or $37m at a broken Horton. Or $37m at Clarkson.

Who are the high end players that have really disappointed?

Chara has obviously been amazing. Hossa worked out well. Tavares had a great first year.

Suter has been good in Minnesota, the issue is giving a 13 year contract to a 28 year old. If he had signed under the current rules then this season would have been the final year of the contract.

Parise has been a disappointment. Big money and he was a ~65 point pace player through the first four years, is probably more like a ~55 point player now (despite this season) and at 35 still has 6 years left. But it's also a cap circumvention contract, he'll be on LTIR at some point.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Depends on what position you’re trying to play them at. Jake Allen is surely better at playing goalie than Ben Hutton.
aaah I though we're speaking of Carter Hutton. My bad. He has Still couple years left in his contract.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Denver is still way more appealing than St. Louis to the rest of the country.

That said, I’ll be shocked if it’s not NY or Florida for him.

Sounds like the Avs could be after Zucc though so they’ll be a solid team regardless.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i guess i wouldnt mind hutton here as basically a gunnar replacement. hes pretty steady but hes not really good at anything.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I would like the Blues to move on from Edmundson and trade for a second pairing LD to push Bo to the third pair. Ideally, we'd get someone under contract for at least two more years (to avoid a cap crunch next year) and the center-piece of the deal would be Schenn (I don't think we're going to be able to pay him next year).

The only players I can find that fit the bill and might be available are Hampus Lindholm and Jacob Slavin. I wonder what it would take to make that swap? The other team would obviously have to feel comfortable with their chances of extending Schenn.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would like the Blues to move on from Edmundson and trade for a second pairing LD to push Bo to the third pair. Ideally, we'd get someone under contract for at least two more years (to avoid a cap crunch next year) and the center-piece of the deal would be Schenn (I don't think we're going to be able to pay him next year).

The only players I can find that fit the bill and might be available are Hampus Lindholm and Jacob Slavin. I wonder what it would take to make that swap? The other team would obviously have to feel comfortable with their chances of extending Schenn.
Schenn doesn't come close to getting you either of those. Would you deal Parayko for Schenn?

Reactions: WeWentBlues

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

Slavin isn't moving. I doubt Lindholm is either.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad