Blues Trade Proposals 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Would you guys entertain Wayne Simmonds for a 2nd line RW if he came fairly cheap?
No. I thought his post trade performance confirmed that he has nothing left of value to a contender. The Blues would have to deliberately downgrade a position to fit him. Unless that move was for enough salary clearance to upgrade elsewhere, it’d senseless. Even at that, give me Maroon re-signed instead.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Allen + Fabbri + Kostin <-> back-up goaltender (+ pick)?

I don't feel like paying a bride to a team just to get rid of Allen. He's fine as a backup goalie eventhough he's being overpayed. As long as we don't have any capissues, Allen's salary shouldn't be a problem.

However, if a team really wants him I don't mind letting him go for a pick/prospect. We could even retain on him if that means we get more value in return. We can easily get a backup goalie in free agency.

If it looks like Fabbri is going to be an extra forward again next year I'd rather try to make a seperate deal for him or use him as an add in a larger deal for a top 4 LHD.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Would you guys entertain Wayne Simmonds for a 2nd line RW if he came fairly cheap?
Really easy no.

We have Fabbri, Blais, Sanford and Kyrou fighting for ice time, we shouldn't be looking to add a guy who looks pretty past it to that group.
Allen + Fabbri + Kostin <-> back-up goaltender (+ pick)?
Allen has typically played well when he isn't forced into the #1 role. Everything we've seen and heard about how he conducted himself in the playoffs was first class. He has accepted his role on the team.

He's overpaid, but that doesn't seem like a problem for next season. Moving him + other assets for a lesser goalie doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He is a 27 year old who has never played in the NHL, but has good KHL numbers.

He has better numbers in the KHL than Dadonov did, and he also came over at 27. The main differences are that Dadonov was a UFA, Gusev is a RFA, plus Dadonov had a somewhat unimpressive NHL stint much earlier in his career. Then the cap inflation since Dadonov signed his three year, $4m per deal.

While Shipachyov didn't work out in the NHL, it also highlighted that if it doesn't work out then there could be interest from other teams and he might be willing to "retire" and head back to Russia. So the risk of the contract might be a little more limited.

What he is worth in trade is going to depend entirely on what kind of contract he is looking for. Assuming it is two or three years at $4m-$4.5m? I'd probably offer Fabbri & one of our middle of the pack prospects, if we could make the cap work. It might not take more than Fabbri, since the player will likely get to pick his destination with the threat of going back to Russia for a year and coming back as a UFA.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
I meant cap wise. I think he has top 9 potential for sure but not sure about the parameters of a contract
Don't know what we're going to do with Eddy, Maroon, or Allen yet so maybe not but I'd like to see us get another top 6 scorer to go with O'Reilly and Perron.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
Don't know what we're going to do with Eddy, Maroon, or Allen yet so maybe not but I'd like to see us get another top 6 scorer to go with O'Reilly and Perron.

The big splash UFA guy that intrigues me as a middle 6 with O'Reilly and Perron is UFA Brett Connolly. 45 pts last year mainly at 5 on 5. I'm guessing $4.5M per 5/6 years.

Don't want to block our young guys but easily fits if Allen is moved.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think people are vastly overestimating how much it is going to take to get rid of Allen. I can think of a handful of teams that have:
  1. A lot (or too much) cap space
  2. A need for a goalie with starting experience who can play the games
In a league where Neal Pionk was praised as a return for Trouba because he played on a bad team that needed him to play 20+ minutes a night, just being able to play the games goes a long way.

Allen should be playing with a chip on his shoulder, and is clearly in need of a fresh start. He has been brilliant for long stretches, even if his long stretches of very bad play are all anybody remembers.

His cap hit is top-20 for a goalie, but the cap has gone up, his % of cap space has gone down as a result, and - again - his cap hit and term would not be a concern for a cap floor team, especially if their interest is in rebuilding. His contract is also fairly appealing because it has already been negotiated; you don’t have to pay the opportunity cost of getting a goalie on the free agent market. You know what he is going to earn, and for how long. Retaining salary is also an option if necessary, but I wouldn’t expect us to do anything over $1mil, if that.

I wouldn’t expect to get much more than draft picks for him, but I don’t think that we need to attach Fabbri, Kostin, and/or draft picks to get rid of him if our main goal is to not have him on the roster anymore. I’d say a 2nd round pick is a fair price, and I could be talked into liking a combo of lower picks or prospects.

I could see Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, Ottawa, and Vancouver fitting those criteria.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
Can’t give that kinda money to 3rd liners.

I slotted him on the 2nd line. No one I know will move Vladi off 1st line duty.

He's 27, 6'3", 215. Plays both wings. Right hand shot which we don't have many. Scored 22 goals last year. Starting to come into his own (been in the league 6 years) and ready for 2nd line duty but behind 2nd liners Burykowski and Wilson with the Caps.

Don't see the Caps able to resign him and he fits Berube's physical style. Don't see any of our younger guys putting up 22 goals next year slotted with O'Reilly and Perron.

The market lately is driving the crazy $$ and my figure could be high. FA is just not cheap. Shorten the term.

Who of Sanford, Kyrou, Sunny, Blais, Mac, or Barby plays with O'Reilly and Perron? Sound like a good discussion?

Heck if we do nothing and just sweeten the pot for our guys I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I would be completely unsurprised if the Blues traded Allen, no regrets, and he ended up having a better statistical year than Binnington over the course of the season (save percentage, probably not wins). It wouldn’t cause me any regret about moving on from him, but he’s entirely capable of a top 10 goalie season.

Binnington’s greatest value to me is:
1) more steady play
2) ability to make the key save when you need it
3) the way the team responds to him

We saw it with Elliott, then Hutton, and now Binnington. The team simply plays with more confidence and swagger in front of Binnington as compared with Allen.

That said, I still think it’s more likely he is kept as the backup next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad