Blues Trade Proposals 2019-2020 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
This team just won a cup. I personally don’t feel desperate to repeat and I’m hoping Armstrong feels the same. We have a 3-4 year window if we sign Petro. Even if Army somehow knows Petro is gone, I still wouldn’t want to pay the first and other pieces for the available rentals, for the reason above (unless we know we can extend rental due to a Petro cap space). I am not getting greedy. How often do expensive rentals actually work?

For the offseason.

How would we feel about Carter Hutton at 50% for Jake Allen straight up? I’m not sure if a pick would need to be added and what side that pick should even be on.

This trade saves just about as much cap space as an Allen deal could and brings back a goalie that has already looked competent in the blues system.

This probably puts Husso on the shelf a little while longer because I don’t think Hutton at that cap hit would pass through waivers to start the season.

So, Hutton 1 Year at 1.375M

For Allen, 1 year at 5.675M caphit to Buf.

Is this to easy of a deal for the blues to make? Does something need added on either side?

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Hoffman would be ideal, but probably cost too much. They'd be right to ask for Thomas or Kyrou and a pick. Maybe more?

I get the feeling the organization wants to make a serious run at repeating (what.).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No clue if Florida would pull the trigger on him, but Friedman implied in his 31 Thoughts that he thinks Hoffman could be our backup target to Kreider.
I'd prefer Hoffman over Kreider to be honest. Kreider is just too inconsistent offensively for me to pay market price.

Reactions: The Note

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Hoffman would be ideal, but probably cost too much. They'd be right to ask for Thomas or Kyrou and a pick. Maybe more?

I get the feeling the organization wants to make a serious run at repeating (what.).
I don’t think they’d even ask about Thomas. They’re shopping Hoffman, not Barkov.

I do think they’d ask for Kyrou or Kostin though. I’d probably pay Kostin, but Kyrou would be too much unless there’s a way to work in a LHD prospect in the return as well.

Reactions: shmotz

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

He's a rental, his value wouldn't touch them. He'd get a 1st and a decent prospect though.

Reactions: shmotz

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Why would Hoffman be available? Is Tippett ready to walk straight into that team?

Even if the Panthers know they can't extend Hoffman and Dadonov, they are looking to compete now. They just paid a fortune for their goalie and coach. With them being in a playoff position, I imagine that the return they'd be looking for would be players that can go straight into the line up and help. I'd be very surprised if they'd take just futures.

Maybe a middle-pairing defenseman with another year on his deal? A young bottom-6 forward that is a good fit?

We should be interested in Hoffman if he is available, but I doubt we'd have the right pieces available to make it work. And it's another player that would be a pure rental, we should have no interest at all in paying the rate the market will sent for a speedy winger who is 31 this year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why would Hoffman be available? Is Tippett ready to walk straight into that team?

Even if the Panthers know they can't extend Hoffman and Dadonov, they are looking to compete now. They just paid a fortune for their goalie and coach. With them being in a playoff position, I imagine that the return they'd be looking for would be players that can go straight into the line up and help. I'd be very surprised if they'd take just futures.

Maybe a middle-pairing defenseman with another year on his deal? A young bottom-6 forward that is a good fit?

We should be interested in Hoffman if he is available, but I doubt we'd have the right pieces available to make it work. And it's another player that would be a pure rental, we should have no interest at all in paying the rate the market will sent for a speedy winger who is 31 this year.
I bet it's a combo of Tippett and them not wanting to extend Hoffman. Friedman mentioned they'd be looking for defense too, so maybe they are thinking a hockey type move, where they believe their offense will be good enough and it's a way to upgrade the defense without sacrificing future pieces.

If we believe Mikkola is good enough to get minutes in playoffs, I wonder what they would think of players like Gunnarsson and Sanford.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I bet it's a combo of Tippett and them not wanting to extend Hoffman. Friedman mentioned they'd be looking for defense too, so maybe they are thinking a hockey type move, where they believe their offense will be good enough and it's a way to upgrade the defense without sacrificing future pieces.

If we believe Mikkola is good enough to get minutes in playoffs, I wonder what they would think of players like Gunnarsson and Sanford.
I'd be surprised if Gunnarsson moves the needle for them. Panthers seem to be looking for veteran top 4 D. A guy they might like who we have- and probably wouldn't deal but never say never- is Faulk. I wouldn't deal him straight up for Hoffman, but if we are having some level of buyer's remorse on Faulk contract, that could be starting point for a deal.

Reactions: Stealth JD

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be surprised if Gunnarsson moves the needle for them. Panthers seem to be looking for veteran top 4 D. A guy they might like who we have- and probably wouldn't deal but never say never- is Faulk. I wouldn't deal him straight up for Hoffman, but if we are having some level of buyer's remorse on Faulk contract, that could be starting point for a deal.

If Hoffman goes for a defenseman of similar ability, it would have to be another rental IMO. Otherwise they are looking at lower-tier types with something added to them. Probably more realistic if there are separate deals. Move out Hoffman to open cap space for a bigger defenseman to come in.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Any trade of either Gunnar or Borts works for me, one less hurdle for Mikkola to getting into our top 6 D group.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

I guess being able to skate by a bottom pairing D and scoring on terrible backup goalie makes you worth a big return :help:

Reminds me of JR's campaign for the Blues to trade for Maroon a couple years back. Luckily he signed for nothing in the summer (not saying Kreider will sign here in the summer).

Reactions: Dbrownss

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I guess being able to skate by a bottom pairing D and scoring on terrible backup goalie makes you worth a big return :help:

I also don't think anyone is denying/doubting that he can skate very fast and crash the net. The problem is that's basically his entire game. He can be physical at times as well, but we have an abundance of physical players. I don't think we're really hurting for that dynamic in any way. I don't really know what element he adds to the team outside of maybe getting Sanford off the ROR/Perron line, but he's been good there recently, so that's not really a dire situation either.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We have 10 games before the trade deadline. What does Sanford have to do in that time to convince you that we should just keep him on the ROR/Perron line? Or have we all seen this version of Sanford before and we all know he'll fall back to earth at the end of the hot streak?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We have 10 games before the trade deadline. What does Sanford have to do in that time to convince you that we should just keep him on the ROR/Perron line? Or have we all seen this version of Sanford before and we all know he'll fall back to earth at the end of the hot streak?
Why are we trading him? He’s valuable depth even if his hot streak cools off.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
He'll be out of the lineup in 5 games watch

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm not saying we trade him, I'm saying do we leave him on the ROR/Perron line or bring someone else in that knocks him down the lineup.
Ah. Well, there is also the space Sundqvist and Tarasenko will fill.

On a basic level, it’s always attractive to get moar guyz and improve the talent level. But in the reality of crafting effective lines with chemistry, who play Berube’s game, I’m in no big rush to hunt for a trade forward. Personally, NONE of the guys available really grab my attention. If the Blues are relying on their chances of a run from that pool, I actually think Sanford has a higher chance of a timely hot streak in the postseason, factoring in his familiarity and experience on the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ah. Well, there is also the space Sundqvist and Tarasenko will fill.

On a basic level, it’s always attractive to get moar guyz and improve the talent level. But in the reality of crafting effective lines with chemistry, who play Berube’s game, I’m in no big rush to hunt for a trade forward. Personally, NONE of the guys available really grab my attention. If the Blues are relying on their chances of a run from that pool, I actually think Sanford has a higher chance of a timely hot streak in the postseason, factoring in his familiarity and experience on the team.
I'm under the assumption that Tarasenko knocks Kyrou out of the lineup, and Sundqvist knocks Brouwer out. That leaves guys like Steen, Blais, and Sanford fighting for positions thoughout the lineup.

The 2nd point is more for what I'm asking about. What people feel about Sanford now vs a potential rental. If Army and Berube truly feel that Sanford has turned a corner, then I could easily see us standing pat.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm under the assumption that Tarasenko knocks Kyrou out of the lineup, and Sundqvist knocks Brouwer out. That leaves guys like Steen, Blais, and Sanford fighting for positions thoughout the lineup.

The 2nd point is more for what I'm asking about. What people feel about Sanford now vs a potential rental. If Army and Berube truly feel that Sanford has turned a corner, then I could easily see us standing pat.
It’s less that he’s turned a corner. More that he is just as likely to have the production they are looking for as a player brought in at the cost of some assets. He’s not as bad as the sentiment on this board makes it sound. Berube has been pleased with his defense overall, and now he’s adding some offense.

It’s not like one of those guys will just stay in the lineup indefinitely. Sanford and Blais can continue to rotate in to keep guys fresh and to run with the hot hand.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It’s less that he’s turned a corner. More that he is just as likely to have the production they are looking for as a player brought in at the cost of some assets. He’s not as bad as the sentiment on this board makes it sound. Berube has been pleased with his defense overall, and now he’s adding some offense.

It’s not like one of those guys will just stay in the lineup indefinitely. Sanford and Blais can continue to rotate in to keep guys fresh and to run with the hot hand.
I mean, he himself has sort of said that he's turned a corner, got more comfortable and confident. I thought Korac's piece was pretty good on it.

In The Slot: Sanford starting to get it, figuring out what's making his game consistent

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
What if this isn't his ceiling, but his new floor?

[For those of you who haven't seen the Jon Hamm All Star Game teaser this went right over your head. And to you, I say "What are you waiting for? That shit's on YouTube!"]

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Sanford is only 25 years old and has Stanley Cup Final experience. I'll never understand why certain fans have zero patience with him.
Well being 25 years old is part of the problem. He's not some young rookie. He's one year away from being able to file for UFA.

If he has turned a new leaf, great. I'd love to be proven wrong with him. But most players are done improving/developing by the time they hit this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad