Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Long time lurker, first-time poster. This is absolutely the best place to talk Blues hockey on the internet, BTW.

Ok, so based on Gordon's STLToday chat, he continually mentioned Tyler Johnson and O'Reilly as being our targets. We've discussed that O'Reilly would cost the moon...so what about Johnson?

Thoughts- Johnson has some injury history and, as a smaller guy, may be an injury risk, but he's cheaper and could play 2RW, which keeps us in the Tavares sweepstakes. Imagine adding a Fabbri-Tavares-Johnson second line!

Addendum-considering Tampa's salary crunch and the low chances for Tavares, what if we sweetened the pot for the rights to J.T. Miller (LW/C)? They've already got Killorn and Palat on LW.

Ideal:
Tyler Johnson and T.J. Miller
for
1st rd. pick, Sobotka, Schmaltz and Kostin/Blais/Fabbri?

schwartz/Schenn/Tarasenko
Miller/Johnson/Thompson
Steen/Thomas-Berglund/Berglund-Thomas

Yes, my first post is a grandiose trade proposal. I think I'll fit in here.

Welcome to posting. I'll try to be nice :naughty:

I do think T.Johnson is the right target from a cost/benefit standpoint. However, I don't think you have offered enough for Miller as well. TJ will cost 1st + prospect alone. Sobotka serves as a cap dump in that deal with minimal value to TB who is trying to shed a forward and cap. If we want value from him, there are other teams, just not TB. So its Schmaltz for Miller. Miller has more value than that as Schmaltz is a waiver eligible yet unproven.

They also have little incentive to trade both Miller and TJ. they need to clear cap for a few years down the road. Miller needs a new deal and TJ's NTC is about to kick in. So one or the other is expendable. But once they move one, it should open the necessary space. Also Miller plays any forward position, including RW.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Welcome to posting. I'll try to be nice :naughty:

I do think T.Johnson is the right target from a cost/benefit standpoint. However, I don't think you have offered enough for Miller as well. TJ will cost 1st + prospect alone. Sobotka serves as a cap dump in that deal with minimal value to TB who is trying to shed a forward and cap. If we want value from him, there are other teams, just not TB. So its Schmaltz for Miller. Miller has more value than that as Schmaltz is a waiver eligible yet unproven.

They also have little incentive to trade both Miller and TJ. they need to clear cap for a few years down the road. Miller needs a new deal and TJ's NTC is about to kick in. So one or the other is expendable. But once they move one, it should open the necessary space. Also Miller plays any forward position, including RW.

It's all good- Miller would be nice, esp. as insurance if Fabbri doesn't return to form or is even serviceable.

Regardless, Johnson is our best trade target IMO. Yzerman has to move someone before half their top 6 and 2nd defense pairing are up for contract next year, and Johnson seems redundant behind Point. Snag Johnson at the draft and pray for Tavares. And when those prayers fail, resign stas for cheap or something. :(

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
From the main board trade thread it was pretty apparent to me that Tampa and us are not great trade partners given they are pushing in their window and would be looking for NHL ready replacements or young high ceiling players. (Which is what everyone wants) but I don’t think their cap situation is so dire that Yzerman will need to make any moves at the moment. It will come to that I’m sure but at this point they don’t need to and until then why not ride out what they have.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Really not a fan of Tyler Johnson, he's not someone I'd target despite being a right handed shot.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
From the main board trade thread it was pretty apparent to me that Tampa and us are not great trade partners given they are pushing in their window and would be looking for NHL ready replacements or young high ceiling players. (Which is what everyone wants) but I don’t think their cap situation is so dire that Yzerman will need to make any moves at the moment. It will come to that I’m sure but at this point they don’t need to and until then why not ride out what they have.

I'm fairly sure that TJ has a NTC kick in July 1st, so they'd need to move him before them to have more $ for Miller this offseason and Point, Kucherov, Sergachev and McDonough next year. It seems to depend on whether Yzerman considers TJ redundant with Point's emergence.

Reactions: HighNote

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I mean everyone wants their team to be as competitive as possible for sure, that's why most trades posted are stacking assets to try to equal one when proposed. That being said though, I could see the benefit from Tampa's perspective of recouping either draft picks or prospects to try to re-fill their pool from the Mcdonaugh/Miller trade. The only issue is that Yzerman and Co. have done really well in drafting and while their pool is depleted, it is not barren. They do lack the overall quality prospect but unless they bridge Miller one of the two will need to go or they risk running into a massive issue with Serg/Kucherov/Gourde and Point (although I think Gourde will be replaceable with prospects like Joseph and Katchouk). This doesn't even speak about how they will replenish their defense if they don't trade off one of the two. They will have approx. 40m (if the cap continues to raise around 4m/year for the next two years which is certainly possible) to sign those 4 as well as either re-sign or replace their entire defense outside of Hedman/Serg who will be the year after. Vasilevsky will almost assuredly need a raise as well the year after.

They do have Foote/ Katchouk/ Joseph/ Raddysh/ ABB/ Lipanov who will be on ELC contracts still the year after their cap crunch would happen but considering they're missing this years first and next years second there is a pretty good chance that Yzerman will want to prepare for the future a tad bit more. I don't want to act like i know how those prospects are going to pan out I personally really like Katchouk and by all Foote comes from a pretty good pedigree. Raddysh/Joseph had WJC experience while it may not mean all that much I'm sure they are at least in the thought process of being potential NHLers in the future. ABB had a monster year but he is another small type in which you wonder if the game will translate to the next level.

I would be willing to bet if at all possible Yzerman would definitely entertain shipping Miller or Johnson for a first and some futures. Walman or Schmaltz could be of interest as if they shed some of their current defensemen it will give them a much more feasible problem in the near future as well as if they ship out one of Johnson/Miller.

At this point, I don't doubt that Yzerman will do something to solve these issues but I could definitely see the WPG 1st, 2019 2nd and Walman or any two of those 3 pieces plus a lesser prospect being of interest for Johnson as it would ease the pain of trying to replace 2/3rds of the defense with reasonable contracts, which I'm sure he will have to do to some degree anyways with the raises Kuch/Point/Vasi/Serg are going to require.

Reactions: Xanadude

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
From the discussion on the main boards JT Miller is more likely to be moved than Johnson. I’m merely forwarding much of that discussion.

I don’t think Tyler Johnson is on this team come training camp.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd like Miller but only if he can play center. Judging by the main boards, fans are saying he is way better on the wing... but then again, they said the same about Schenn and those two play a fairly similar game.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It does make me wonder if maybe Duchene becomes available again. He really jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire last year, poor guy haha. He’d be more than welcome to join us here for the right price! He’s on his last year, so it would conceivably be rental price to get him. Although who knows what is going on in Ottawa, or what they would want, knowing now that they will probably lose both Karlsson and Hoffman... not sure why Stone would want to sign on for more either tbh. What a shitshow

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What the f***...

Is Ottawa a real organization or is this a cartoon? Jesus Christ what a circus act.

Reactions: Dbrownss

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
It does make me wonder if maybe Duchene becomes available again. He really jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire last year, poor guy haha. He’d be more than welcome to join us here for the right price! He’s on his last year, so it would conceivably be rental price to get him. Although who knows what is going on in Ottawa, or what they would want, knowing now that they will probably lose both Karlsson and Hoffman... not sure why Stone would want to sign on for more either tbh. What a ****show

After what Ottawa paid to get Duchene, they'll want to recoup most of that, so no thanks. I don't want any part of that. I'd take Duchene in a heart beat to be the #2 here, but I just don't see Ottawa not demanding the moon for him.

I no longer want any part of Hoffman either, if this is true. I don't care if he dumps the chick or not, no thank you.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yep, don't care if the price for Hoffman drops, if that article is true then I don't want anything to do with him.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Rough couple weeks for sports wives given the Hoffman news and the 76ers GM’s wife running multiple burner Twitter accounts. Good lord.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Yeah, very very little chance we trade for Hoffman now. Innocent until proven guilty, but that's not something the Blues want to risk (and note, Hoffman isn't accused of anything - an order of protection was levied against his girlfriend...but in the eyes of the public, this doesn't look good for Hoffman either way you slice it).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
There’s two versions of reality here.

In reality one, the Blues trade for Hoffman, he fudges up the locker room, bangs somebody’s wife, or his girlfriend bangs somebody on the team, and we end up having to trade like everybody. Scott Stevens is then awarded to the Devils again, much to everybody’s confusion.

In reality two: he gets traded to the Kings for pennies, and ends up hitting 100 points next season, re-igniting the Kings dynasty while on his revenge tour of the NHL.

In neither reality does it work out for the Blues in the end. Sorry guys

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You hate to victimize someone so quickly but the Karlssons wouldn't just come out with this if they didn't have some pretty good proof.

Crazy situation. Hoffman won't be coming here so that's one guy off the list...

Reactions: KirkOut

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
You hate to victimize someone so quickly but the Karlssons wouldn't just come out with this if they didn't have some pretty good proof.

somebody better check on Lehterashenkshow...

Reactions: EastonBlues22

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

False accusations happen all the time. As do people who think they have a case and just don't. How can they know that she posted 1000 social media messages across different usernames? He's a famous athlete and its the internet. Hundreds of people who don't know him are going to say some messed up stuff. I doubt Instagram is handing over the IP addresses or places of origin for all of them without a court order. So how did she pick out the thousand Hoffman's GF said amongst the 10,000s of crappy things people say about him? It is just as likely that Mrs Karlsson is the bully as it is that Hoffman's GF. The court's and the threat for a lawsuit can and have been used by abusers. God forbid our court system ever decides to give the benefit of the doubt to the plaintiff because they took the time to file a case. I'm not saying that's the situation. I am saying we have an accusation which may be 100% true, 100% false or anywhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad