Schwartz
Kyrou

Pietrangelo*
Parayko
Dunn

Binnington*

*Assuming they're signed

Leaves Bozak, Edmundson, Barbashev, Sundqvist as the most likely candidates
I know Perron is very popular right now, and Edmundson certainly is not but ... I don't know. I am also questioning Perron over Sundqvist. Lots of tough decisions there.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
So...

O'Reilly
Tarasenko
Schenn*
Thomas
Perron
Schwartz
Kyrou

Pietrangelo*
Parayko
Dunn

Binnington*

*Assuming they're signed

Or you protect Sunny and leave a 32 year old Perron exposed, potentially making him the only player in NHL history taken from the same club twice during expansion drafts. :naughty:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So...

O'Reilly
Tarasenko
Schenn*
Thomas
Perron
Schwartz
Kyrou

Pietrangelo*
Parayko
Dunn

Binnington*

*Assuming they're signed

Perron will be 33 with bad injury history and only 1 year left on his contract. Obviously much can change in 2 years, but he is probably more likely than not to be exposed.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Kostin is exempt bc his AHL games don’t count toward expansion due to age that he was in AHL.
Yeah, I remember reading that. Not to derail the thread, but having to protect Thomas and Kyrou could really put the Blues in a bind. But not worth going through the list just yet considering we’re 2 full seasons away from the draft.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I know Perron is very popular right now, and Edmundson certainly is not but ... I don't know. I am also questioning Perron over Sundqvist. Lots of tough decisions there.

A big deal is made about protection lists by every fan base but at the end of the day Seattle can only take one player from us and it doesn't usually end up being a big deal UNLESS your GM decides to pay assets to protect a guy. That's how Vegas cashed in and hopefully DA just makes his list and lets Seattle pick. I've been guilty of hand wringing in the past along with a bunch of other people but I think I'm going to sit out worrying about this particular expansion.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Blues will have a chance to trade a player they dont need so that Seattle doesn't choose someone that is unprotected. That, or they could deal away a draft pick so Seattle chooses a random "bad" player instead of an Edmundson/Perron/etc.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
So...

O'Reilly
Tarasenko
Schenn*
Thomas
Perron
Schwartz
Kyrou

Pietrangelo*
Parayko
Dunn

Binnington*

*Assuming they're signed

Or you protect Sunny and leave a 32 year old Perron exposed, potentially making him the only player in NHL history taken from the same club twice during expansion drafts. :naughty:

Perron will be 33 with bad injury history and only 1 year left on his contract. Obviously much can change in 2 years, but he is probably more likely than not to be exposed.

A big deal is made about protection lists by every fan base but at the end of the day Seattle can only take one player from us and it doesn't usually end up being a big deal UNLESS your GM decides to pay assets to protect a guy. That's how Vegas cashed in and hopefully DA just makes his list and lets Seattle pick. I've been guilty of hand wringing in the past along with a bunch of other people but I think I'm going to sit out worrying about this particular expansion.
Blues will have a chance to trade a player they dont need so that Seattle doesn't choose someone that is unprotected. That, or they could deal away a draft pick so Seattle chooses a random "bad" player instead of an Edmundson/Perron/etc.

This is so long away it will be hard to predict. When Seattle comes in 2021-2022, the only known thing for sure with the Blues are the following (Unless trade or something else happens):

O'Reilly & Tarasenko still have 2 years left at 7.5 AAV and will be protected.
Thomas & Kyrou are RFA and will be protected no doubts (Less sureness on Kyrou than Thomas).
Scheen if resigned will be protected
Schwartz is a UFA at time of expansion draft and if signed will be protected.
Bozak is a UFA at time of expansion.
Perron has 1 year left at 4 mill. LIKELY candidate to be exposed with his injury history and etc but depending on his play could be protected.
Steen is UFA

After that you have so many players such as Sanford, Blais, Barbashev, Sundqvist, Fabbri, & MacEachern who in couple years who knows if they are still here or not.

So Forwards 4 will be protected most likely for sure. O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Thomas, & Kyrou

Defense wise:
Pietrangelo if we resigned him is a no-brainer.
Parayko is in last year of current deal and no-brainer.
Dunn is in his RFA years so I believe Blues protect him.
Edmundson is where things will get interesting. Will he get protected or not? Depends on the Pietrangelo situation.
Bortuzzo will be exposed.

Right now the 3 I protect are Pietrangelo (if he resigns) Parayko Dunn & IF Pietrangelo isn't back, Parayko, Dunn, Edmundson

Goalie is another interesting situation.

Allen has 1 year left that is if he isn't traded.
Binnington has played well so far but could fall off face of the planet.
Husso is suppose to be the goalie of the future for us.

Right now I will go Binnington but I could see Husso easily getting protected.

I definitely can see us doing a trade with them especially with us having a crap load of forwards to protect an extra player.

I.E. Say we want to protect Edmundson we give them Sanford & low pick and they take Fabbri as well something like that.

I don't see Army going Florida stupid with trading anyone.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
This is so long away it will be hard to predict. When Seattle comes in 2020-2021, the only known thing for sure with the Blues are the following (Unless trade or something else happens):

Thomas & Kyrou are RFA and will be protected no doubts (Less sureness on Kyrou than Thomas).
Perron has 1 year left at 4 mill. LIKELY candidate to be exposed with his injury history and etc but depending on his play could be protected.
Steen has 1 year and will be exposed, but unless we give up stuff I don't see them taking him.

After that you have so many players such as Sanford, Blais, Barbashev, Sundqvist, Fabbri, & MacEachern who in couple years who knows if they are still here or not.

So Forwards 4 will be protected most likely for sure. O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Thomas, & Kyrou

Defense wise:
Edmundson is where things will get interesting. Will he get protected or not? Depends on the Pietrangelo situation.

Right now the 3 I protect are Pietrangelo (if he resigns) Parayko Dunn & IF Pietrangelo isn't back, Parayko, Dunn, Edmundson

I definitely can see us doing a trade with them especially with us having a crap load of forwards to protect an extra player.

I.E. Say we want to protect Edmundson we give them Sanford & low pick and they take Fabbri as well something like that.

Steen will be UFA (and likely retired).

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
This is so long away it will be hard to predict. When Seattle comes in 2020-2021, the only known thing for sure with the Blues are the following (Unless trade or something else happens):

Steen is UFA

Defense wise:

Inaugural season will be 2021-2022

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Man I love expansion draft talk 2 years in advance!

There will certainly be some new players on our roster by then so it’s all irrelevant.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I am honestly huge fan of Perron's game during this stent, I do not blame him for taking no chances on his brain. I would rather pay Seattle a pick to NOT take Perron then let him go again, the dude took less money to play play here IMO and you can tell he loves this city and wants to win here. After how he played in Vegas and here this year I want him here, Dont forget when we sucked earlier this year everyone was saying "Thank god for Perron", That means something to me, that might make me biased but its what I feel.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
There's absolutely no way to predict how the team will look in two years. Just look at the this season's opening night roster versus last year's. Granted this past offseason was particularly chaotic, but still the change is huge. We don't know what Bokk, Thomas, Kyrou, Mikkola, Kostin etc. will become, if anything. If Schwartz has two more years like this one then it would be easy to expose him. If he bounces back to 60+ points then obviously you protect a 28 year old Schwartz. The only guys I feel safe in saying will be protected for certain if they're still part of the organization are O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Parayko, and Pietrangelo. It's difficult to see Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn, Brayden Schenn, or Jordan Kyrou being left exposed, but a lot can change in two years. Two years ago I would've said no chance Fabbri is exposed, and maybe in two years time I'll be back to that mindset if he gets it together, but as it stands he's one of the easiest choices to expose. If I had to make my list today based on the expansion rules and who would be eligible for selection in two years I would go with:

Tarasenko
O'Reilly
Schenn
Schwartz
Thomas
Perron
Kyrou

Petro
Dunn
Parayko

Binnington

In that scenario we'd probably lose one of Sundqvist, Edmundson, Kostin(if he's grown a lot in two years which is not inconceivable), Mikkola, or Husso/Fitzpatrick. As it stands I'd be perfectly fine with that, though I would hate to see Sundqvist go as I think he's a great bottom 6er for many years to come. We don't need to be making stupid trades to protect any of those guys. That's the one area where we could get in trouble, being like Minnesota and giving up someone like Bokk just so we don't lose Edmundson or something like that. Avoid that and we're fine. It's just one player and everyone left exposed would be pretty easily replaceable.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I would 100% protect Dunn over Edmundson. I like Eddy but I think we need Dunn’s puck moving ability more.
That shouldn't even be a question at this point. Dunn is three years younger and already a MUCH better player. I wouldn't just hand away Eddy for nothing, but you can find gritty bottom pairing Dmen pretty easily. You can't get guys who can skate and move the puck like Dunn just anywhere.

Reactions: Blueston

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
There's absolutely no way to predict how the team will look in two years. Just look at the this season's opening night roster versus last year's. Granted this past offseason was particularly chaotic, but still the change is huge. We don't know what Bokk, Thomas, Kyrou, Mikkola, Kostin etc. will become, if anything. If Schwartz has two more years like this one then it would be easy to expose him. If he bounces back to 60+ points then obviously you protect a 28 year old Schwartz. The only guys I feel safe in saying will be protected for certain if they're still part of the organization are O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Parayko, and Pietrangelo. It's difficult to see Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn, Brayden Schenn, or Jordan Kyrou being left exposed, but a lot can change in two years. Two years ago I would've said no chance Fabbri is exposed, and maybe in two years time I'll be back to that mindset if he gets it together, but as it stands he's one of the easiest choices to expose. If I had to make my list today based on the expansion rules and who would be eligible for selection in two years I would go with:

Tarasenko
O'Reilly
Schenn
Schwartz
Thomas
Perron
Kyrou

Petro
Dunn
Parayko

Binnington

In that scenario we'd probably lose one of Sundqvist, Edmundson, Kostin(if he's grown a lot in two years which is not inconceivable), Mikkola, or Husso/Fitzpatrick. As it stands I'd be perfectly fine with that, though I would hate to see Sundqvist go as I think he's a great bottom 6er for many years to come. We don't need to be making stupid trades to protect any of those guys. That's the one area where we could get in trouble, being like Minnesota and giving up someone like Bokk just so we don't lose Edmundson or something like that. Avoid that and we're fine. It's just one player and everyone left exposed would be pretty easily replaceable.

Kostin will be exempt from it.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Kostin will be exempt from it.
Really? Why? He's been pro longer than Thomas and was taken in the same year. What makes him an exception?

EDIT: Just saw the final post on the previous page. I didn't know that exception exists, but it make sense. We chose to have Thomas play in the NHL rather than junior, so he's eligible. If Kostin would've gone the CHL route he would've been exempt, but he chose to play professionally instead.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
That shouldn't even be a question at this point. Dunn is three years younger and already a MUCH better player. I wouldn't just hand away Eddy for nothing, but you can find gritty bottom pairing Dmen pretty easily. You can't get guys who can skate and move the puck like Dunn just anywhere.
I’d argue that Edmundson is comfortably a top four defenseman. I certainly don’t want to get rid of him either but I do think Dunn has a non-insignificantly higher ceiling.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Not interested in the future expansion draft right now. Regarding next season - sorry if this has already been addressed ...

Any chance they can get a 3rd round pick for Allen without paying some of his salary?
How do we get back into the 1st round - Armstrong usually finds a way.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not interested in the future expansion draft right now. Regarding next season - sorry if this has already been addressed ...

Any chance they can get a 3rd round pick for Allen without paying some of his salary?
How do we get back into the 1st round - Armstrong usually finds a way.

Doubtful. Goalies in general don't have much trade value. At that salary, he has to be seen as a starter, or a 1A at the worst to justify paying $4M+. A borderline starter could return a 3rd, but you'd need two teams that have interest to drive the market.

Grubauer was traded last off-season. He was an RFA, but I assume they talked to him first. He agreed to $3.33M per year, but he came with a cap hit of Orpik which was bought out at $2.5, $1.5, $0 over those three years. That is pretty close to Allen's hit when averaged over the 3 years. So Grubauer got a 2nd. But his stats the previous year were 2.35 GAA and a .923 save percentage vs Allen at 2.85, .904 this season. That is a big difference in stats. Elliott got us a high 2nd a few years ago, but he was only $2.5M which is an acceptable 1B salary. He was also coming off a .930% season and a conference finals playoff run. It was a low risk move by Calgary.

You never know though. If 2 GMs think he has the skills and their staff can get the best out of him, maybe they go crazy. He does have high-end potential if he can find any consistency. Most likely we will have to retain to move him, and still may not get any value though.

As to getting a first round, I don't see an easy way. All of our players are too valuable or not valuable enough. Steen, Allen and Bozak are the most likely to be moved and they don't get a first, even with a pick attached. I don't see us moving Tarasenko, Perron, ROR, Schwartz, Thomas, Kyrou, Parayko, Dunn or Binnington. Selling Kostin/Bokk, by the very nature of giving up on them, would indicate to teams they aren't worth a first. The only thing I can see is if we know Schenn or Pietrangelo will not resign. We'd have to get a lot more than 1st for Pie. Or if we re-sign Bouwmeester and move Edmundson. That would be stupid, but Eddy could get us a late first and is probably the least untouchable with his regression this year. Then there is always a team that just really likes one of our players for some reason, like getting a first for Reaves+. Maybe someone overpays for Sundqvist or Barbashev, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I wouldn't be opposed to trading a Kostin or Bokk for a late-ish 1st rounder if the Blues really like somebody on the board; similar to the Rundblad situation. The Athletic has a couple of good articles featured right now, one on Primeau's concussions (stay well DP57) and another on Spencer Knight and is he worth a 1st round pick. If Knight were on the board at say #20, I'd have no qualms with making a move like that.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The Reaves trade was more of a trade-up into the 1st round.

Reaves + 51st pick for Sundqvist and the 31st pick

I could see the Blues making a similar deal to get back into the first round in 2019. The other options are Petro and Schenn. I'm hoping both are re-signed but clarity on both players won't be had until after the draft. The draft is in June and ink on a new contract can't dry until July 1. Side note - the rule about not being able to extend until July 1 of the league year your contract is expiring needs to go or the draft needs to be after July 1.

Not going to worry about next season at this point but some big decisions lie ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad