Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Given his comments about not looking for rentals I doubt it was Ferland. I’m thinking it had to be someone with term and I suspect it was someone who stayed put.

Full disclosure: I have nothing backing this up. Just what I’m guessing.

:laugh::laugh:

You have a career ahead of you as a journalist or insider. Pick your poison :naughty:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
So we have a ton of depth at forward on the team, if Schenn is resigned, would you consider trading Jordan Kyrou for a similar d prospect?

Our depth is pretty insane and he isn’t really a 3rd line grinder. I would trade Fabbri first, but his value is shot.

JK is our best prospect, but we have Bokk also. Thoughts???

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So we have a ton of depth at forward on the team, if Schenn is resigned, would you consider trading Jordan Kyrou for a similar d prospect?

Our depth is pretty insane and he isn’t really a 3rd line grinder. I would trade Fabbri first, but his value is shot.

Considering we have few forwards that can compete against the best in the game, I will hold onto our forward prospects in hope that one develops. I still am not sure why we need D prospects. We have two top flight defenders and one who is pretty darn good. I would put them, our top two, in the top 20-25. Conversely, our highest scorer is top 37, last time I looked. The next best scorer is 66. Those aren’t bad numbers, but when you look at the difference between #1 and 37, there is a massive spread. When you look at top teams, there is a gap between us and most. I don’t see that defensively.

Goaltending seems to be up in the air. But then again, it usually is a crap shoot. That’s a wait and see area.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

No. Players with that speed and skill aren’t easy to get.

Our defense is top 10 in the league for sure.

I know people worry about our prospects there but our issue is scoring, not defending. So it doesn’t make sense.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Here is my issue. Where do you see him slotting in next year. Top 6 seem to be set and our 3rd line has Thomas and Bozak already, not sure I would put him there.

He isn’t a 4th line forward. Injury call up? I don’t see beating out Perron now Schwatz now that he has his confidence back.

Steen is not movable and I really like Schenn more the JK.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm with @BlueDream here. We've been haunted by scoring problems for years - trading a talent like Kyrou now does not make sense to me.

Let's highlight Allen's 1-1-2 record over his last 4 games. He put up a 93.9 SV%.

28/28 100% vs LAK 4-0 W
30/33 90.9% vs SJS 2-3 L
19/20 95.0% vs OTT 0-2 L
31/34 91.2% vs BUF 3-4 OTL

League average score is 3 goals a game... Hands up if you remember me mentioning this this year. And last... We often fall short of providing goal support and our goalies solid performances result in losses.

I've previously been using it as a point about not throwing goalies under the bus because they haven't been receiving goal support to win games, but it also applies here. Because we often run up the score in our wins our 218 GF isn't far behind the league average of 222 GF.

We absolutely can't afford to trade away a potential offensive dynamo to address a weakness by creating a larger hole in the roster.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Here is my issue. Where do you see him slotting in next year. Top 6 seem to be set and our 3rd line has Thomas and Bozak already, not sure I would put him there.

He isn’t a 4th line forward. Injury call up? I don’t see beating out Perron now Schwatz now that he has his confidence back.

Who knows? But he’ll only be 21 at the start of the season. I don’t understand the rush to trade him. Even if he has to start the year in the AHL, that wouldn’t be a big deal.

It remains to be seen how many changes, if any, Armstrong will make to the roster. But trading Kyrou for a defenseman just makes no sense at all IMO. Our defense is one of, if not the very strongest, aspects of our team. Focusing on improving that is focusing on the wrong thing. Scoring and goaltending have long killed the team. Not sure how moving Kyrou is solving one of those.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

It would be difficult to slot him in the lineup next season with no trades, but if we assume Maroon is not re-signed, it’s doable. But why does he need to be up next year anyway? He’s still extremely young, and another year in the A will not hurt him. Nonetheless, below is a lineup that could reasonably accommodate him:

Schenn-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Perron
Steen/Sanford/Fabbri - Bozak-Kyrou
Sanford/Steen/Fabbri/MacEachern - Sundqvist - Barbashev

Mac and Fabbri will likely be on the roster. Blais as a callup option. So the above lineup accommodates all of the players mentioned (assuming 2 scratches), except for Blais (callup). Of course, this assumes Maroon is not re-signed and nobody is traded. IF Maroon is re-signed (huge if), someone would have to be out the door to accommodate Kyrou.

Last edited:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm with @BlueDream here. We've been haunted by scoring problems for years - trading a talent like Kyrou now does not make sense to me.

Let's highlight Allen's 1-1-2 record over his last 4 games. He put up a 93.9 SV%.

28/28 100% vs LAK 4-0 W
30/33 90.9% vs SJS 2-3 L
19/20 95.0% vs OTT 0-2 L
31/34 91.2% vs BUF 3-4 OTL

League average score is 3 goals a game... Hands up if you remember me mentioning this this year. And last... We often fall short of providing goal support and our goalies solid performances result in losses.

I've previously been using it as a point about not throwing goalies under the bus because they haven't been receiving goal support to win games, but it also applies here. Because we often run up the score in our wins our 218 GF isn't far behind the league average of 222 GF.

We absolutely can't afford to trade away a potential offensive dynamo to address a weakness by creating a larger hole in the roster.

For reference here is one of these posts I alluded to are.

Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Binnington vs. Husso?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Why does that matter? This isnt EA sports, prospects dont lose skill/upside by spending extra time in the AHL.

What happens if you trade him and Schwartz doesnt re'up in 2yrs or Perron gets his brains scrambled again and he retires?

Just because the Blues cant pencil him in, doesn't mean you move him to manage assets. Also our defensive depth isnt bare and isnt a huge concern for several years

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

The top 6 is anything but set.

There’s ROR & Tarasenko.

Schenn: From all accounts and rumors he was most likely close to being traded. He could have been the first one traded for any of multiple of reasons. Those reasons still exist. He has 1 year left and nobody knows if he would resign or if his price tag is too rich for Army.

Schwartz: He’s fresh off the 4 point game but only has 34 points in 61 games. That’s good for a 45 point pace over 82,games. Every organization is wanting more production from a top 6 player. Is this just a down year? Will he rebound to his career averages next season? One would think he’ll have a better season next year but then again nobody would have pegged him for having such a disappointing season this year.

Perron: He’s really playing the best hockey I’ve ever seen him play. The problem is he’s literally one hit away from missing substantial time or worse. (Thanks Dumbo Thornton).

Thomas: He’s the only other player I’d put in the top 6 conversation. He hasn’t cemented the position yet but it’s where he belongs.

The overall point is the organization is in need of legitimate top end skill forwards. The top 6 is anything but set in stone for next season and beyond.

Reactions: Brockon

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If Maroon isn't back (distinct possibility), it could easily be a situation where it's Fabbri vs Kyrou for a top 9 spot.

Schenn-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Perron
Steen-Bozak-Kyrou/Fabbri
Mac-Barbashev-Sundqvist

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Kyrou will have no problem getting a spot when they feel he's ready. We have the expansion draft coming up. We all know that next year's starting roster will look different than what is currently signed. It is that way every single year. Some people will inevitably be moved out this offseason, whether by trade at the draft or by trade after the start of free agency.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
The expansion draft could affect how this might play out - assuming the blues go with 7 forwards and 3 d-men protected: Schwartz, ROR, Tarasenko, Perron are the obvious players to protect - that leaves 3 more. Sundqvist has made a great case for protection (never thought I’d say that). That leaves 2. One of Barbashev and Sanford would likely fill one of those (I’d say the nod goes to Barbashev). That leaves 1, which would go to Schenn if he’s re-signed. Which then leaves Steen, Bozak, Fabbri, Sanford, MacEachern, and Blais unprotected. I don’t see any big loss there, unless Fabbri somehow reverts back to form next year - if he does, that significantly alters the analysis.

Kyrou does not require protection. Would the Blues trade a near blue chip prospect, who doesn’t require protection, for a player who would require protection? Very very doubtful. And assuming that player is a d-man, you’d either be leaving that player exposed, or Dunn (assuming Petro is re-signed). That’s not happening.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think they’ll re-sign Maroon if he’s willing to sign below market value again. They won’t protect him in the expansion though, amd I wouldn’t support a no-movement clause though I’m sure he’d want one. It would have to be modified such that they aren’t obligated to put him on the protected list.

Fabbri could be a good selection for an expansion team. But I could see Maroon going too.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The expansion draft could affect how this might play out - assuming the blues go with 7 forwards and 3 d-men protected: Schwartz, ROR, Tarasenko, Perron are the obvious players to protect - that leaves 3 more. Sundqvist has made a great case for protection (never thought I’d say that). That leaves 2. One of Barbashev and Sanford would likely fill one of those (I’d say the nod goes to Barbashev). That leaves 1, which would go to Schenn if he’s re-signed. Which then leaves Steen, Bozak, Fabbri, Sanford, MacEachern, and Blais unprotected. I don’t see any big loss there, unless Fabbri somehow reverts back to form next year - if he does, that significantly alters the analysis.

Kyrou does not require protection. Would the Blues trade a near blue chip prospect, who doesn’t require protection, for a player who would require protection? Very very doubtful. And assuming that player is a d-man, you’d either be leaving that player exposed, or Dunn (assuming Petro is re-signed). That’s not happening.
The expansion draft being moved to 2021 really exposes the Blues. Pretty sure Thomas and Kyrou will be eligible.

1 and 2 year pros are exempt. Any players who started playing professionally prior to 19-20 and 20-21 seasons are draft eligible.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
The expansion draft being moved to 2021 really exposes the Blues. Pretty sure Thomas and Kyrou will be eligible.

1 and 2 year pros are exempt. Any players who started playing professionally prior to 19-20 and 20-21 seasons are draft eligible.
You’re absolutely right - I thought that draft would be after next season. That alters things significantly.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
No way to tell who you'll have to protect until you know contract lengths. We have a ton of guys with contracts expiring this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad