Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Like Kyrou. Did I necessarily say Kyrou? Really look at what’s under contract and your salary cap. You have 14 forwards accounted for next year and 5 defensemen. Before you bronze another prospect as the next super hero as we tend to do, why not look at what you may be able to turn someone into as a cost controlled asset we can overrate that can slot in our top 4. Kyrou isn’t going in our top 6 any time soon.
Alexeyev doesn’t slot into our top-4 any time soon. No one is bronzing prospects. We’re saying that we need a RW more than a LHD and Alexeyev isn’t even a good LHD. Kyrou isn’t slotting into our top-6 anytime soon? Then what does that make Alexeyev? It’s just a bad idea supported only by the hivemind that covinced some posters that our defense was somehow to blame for everything and Dunn and Edmundson were both bottom-pairing with no further upside. It’s silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbrownss

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Alexeyev doesn’t slot into our top-4 any time soon. No one is bronzing prospects. We’re saying that we need a RW more than a LHD and Alexeyev isn’t even a good LHD. Kyrou isn’t slotting into our top-6 anytime soon? Then what does that make Alexeyev? It’s just bad idea supported only by the hivemind that covinced some posters that our defense was somehow to blame for everything and Dunn and Edmundson were both bottom-pairing with no further upside. It’s silly.
It’s silly that JBo and Gunnarsson are UFAs typically in our top 4. Gotcha... makes sense.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
It’s silly that JBo and Gunnarsson are UFAs typically in our top 4. Gotcha... makes sense.
So losing Gunnarsson (more injured than not) or losing Bouwmeester (just now is pulling his weight) means we should trade for a LHD that won’t be better than either Dunn or Edmundson next year? At least Fowler, Ghost, etc. make sense.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
So losing Gunnarsson (more injured than not) or losing Bouwmeester (just now is pulling his weight) means we should trade for a LHD that won’t be better than either Dunn or Edmundson next year? At least Fowler, Ghost, etc. make sense.
You do understand the concept of a salary cap? This is the limit to which you can spend? Do you think Stillman wants to spend to its limit and be where he can’t add a piece if he needs it? If you can get $3-5 million in flexibility next year, then you can hold a team like the Leafs at the limit hostage. We have no flexibility at all. Let’s look at the islanders who could use a center prospect. They have Devon toews and Sebastian Aho ready. Both lefties. Just an example.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You do understand the concept of a salary cap? This is the limit to which you can spend? Do you think Stillman wants to spend to its limit and be where he can’t add a piece if he needs it? If you can get $3-5 million in flexibility next year, then you can hold a team like the Leafs at the limit hostage. We have no flexibility at all. Let’s look at the islanders who could use a center prospect. They have Devon toews and Sebastian Aho ready. Both lefties. Just an example.
What are you talking about? Kyrou is a cost controlled asset moving forward. We have cost controlled assets in Mikkola, Peruno....yea that guy, Walman...etc...etc.

We're talking about a 3LD hole to worry about......why trade out best prospect for that? You say you didnt specify Kyrou....well. Kyrou is the only Kyrou like prospect.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wouldn't call him overrated, but that he's now on the wrong side of 30 and seems to be trending down.

3-4 years ago I would have loved to have traded for him, but I definitely don't think he's worth the assets that we'd have to give up to get him at this point in his career.
I catch some Flyer games and he's largely invisible. He's not some bruiser that some have bantered on about. I'd have very little interest in him

Reactions: Girth Butcher

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Blues had scouts at the Ducks/Caps game, we play the Ducks March 6th, so potential just for that, but I wonder if we could be looking at a move for defense.

Even if it's just for a deal at the draft, I could see something happening there.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
What are you talking about? Kyrou is a cost controlled asset moving forward. We have cost controlled assets in Mikkola, Peruno....yea that guy, Walman...etc...etc.

We're talking about a 3LD hole to worry about......why trade out best prospect for that? You say you didnt specify Kyrou....well. Kyrou is the only Kyrou like prospect.

Agree with everything except he 3LD part. The Blues really have no top pairing LD. Edmundson goes from being scratched to playing top pair minutes. I don't think Ed has looked that good this year. He's not assertive or aggressive enough defensively and it leads to mistakes.

Gunnar has always played pretty decent. J-Bow has been abysmal at times. Now he's looking decent again in his contract year. Who'd of ever guessed it. Do not resign J-Bow. Turn that page. Gunnar simply can't stay healthy. Turn the page. That leaves Dunn and Ed and neither should be playing top minutes. I'd love to have Fowler but I don't see how a deal would work during the season.

Reactions: LGB

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm not opposed for swapping forward prospects for defense prospects, as our top prospects are heavily weighted toward forwards. But that doesn't help us next year. We want help in nearterm we look to Ghost or Fowler or similar.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Blues had scouts at the Ducks/Caps game, we play the Ducks March 6th, so potential just for that, but I wonder if we could be looking at a move for defense.

Even if it's just for a deal at the draft, I could see something happening there.
Don't think Dave Taylor was there to scout for a game in 3 weeks. Fowler or Silfverberg most likely were who he was watching.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agree with everything except he 3LD part. The Blues really have no top pairing LD. Edmundson goes from being scratched to playing top pair minutes. I don't think Ed has looked that good this year. He's not assertive or aggressive enough defensively and it leads to mistakes.

Gunnar has always played pretty decent. J-Bow has been abysmal at times. Now he's looking decent again in his contract year. Who'd of ever guessed it. Do not resign J-Bow. Turn that page. Gunnar simply can't stay healthy. Turn the page. That leaves Dunn and Ed and neither should be playing top minutes. I'd love to have Fowler but I don't see how a deal would work during the season.
I agree but that wasnt mu argument. We dont move Kyrou for a prospect. If we want a top pairing LHD, then get one that's actually one, not hopes and dreams. If Eddy or Dunn stabilize, theyll be fine in that 1/2 LD role with the RHD we have.

Reactions: Spektre

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If you could resign Stone He would be the absolute best option. Schenn/Schwartz LW and Tarasenko/Stone as RW. That's disgusting. I know Schenn likes center but winning makes a lot of things change.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Why couldn’t it happen? If the money is right and the team is competitive there’s no reason a guy wouldn’t consider it unless he has his heart set on a particular location. It’s not a pipe-dream considering how much guys love STL when they play there and the team’s window for a championship being as wide-open as its ever been.

It could certainly happen every once in awhile, but I just feel like players of that level (Stone, Panarin, Tavares before them, etc.) aren't going to give up a chance to be UFA in the prime of their careers. Even if they prefer one destination over others, from their perspective why not wait and see what happens? There is very little motivation for these guys to sign an extension now with almost any team, not only St. Louis.

So, what you're hoping for is that the guy falls in love with the place once he's here (or wherever). That could certainly happen, as you alluded to. Maybe they really get along with their teammates or coaching staff, maybe they fall in love with the city, maybe the team goes on a long playoff run and the player wants to stick around. Those are the advantages that the acquiring team would get (plus being able to offer the extra year), but they have very little leverage to pressure the player to sign an extension unless they just give the player a blank check if they are so determined to re-sign him.

I think most of us are in agreement that we can't really afford to take that chance this year with the top tier of guys, although teams on the cusp will eventually pony up and trade for them. But if the Blues keep playing like they have been, then it will certainly become a more appealing destination for other players.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I agree but that wasnt mu argument. We dont move Kyrou for a prospect. If we want a top pairing LHD, then get one that's actually one, not hopes and dreams. If Eddy or Dunn stabilize, theyll be fine in that 1/2 LD role with the RHD we have.
Kyrou is a prospect. A guy like Sebastian Aho has nothing to prove in the AHL along with Toews. He has 4 contracts in front of him and signed out several years. They have lots of slots opening upfront via UFAs. May be a good partner for a deal.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Don't think Dave Taylor was there to scout for a game in 3 weeks. Fowler or Silfverberg most likely were who he was watching.

I'd rather have Lindholm, but you'd have to give up more. Plus, who are the Ducks taking to get him or Fowler? The Blues can't take on that salary and I doubt the Ducks want Bouwmeester (closest salary cap hit) or a similar salary hit forward in return, unless they could flip them again. I think it's going to be hard for Army to add help or back up this roster with a middle 6 F or top 4 D without making a "hockey trade" or selling off a piece to another team, I just don't see it.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kyrou is a prospect. A guy like Sebastian Aho has nothing to prove in the AHL along with Toews. He has 4 contracts in front of him and signed out several years. They have lots of slots opening upfront via UFAs. May be a good partner for a deal.
Again....why are we trading for the 3 LD and using our best prospect?

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Like Kyrou. Did I necessarily say Kyrou? Really look at what’s under contract and your salary cap. You have 14 forwards accounted for next year and 5 defensemen. Before you bronze another prospect as the next super hero as we tend to do, why not look at what you may be able to turn someone into as a cost controlled asset we can overrate that can slot in our top 4. Kyrou isn’t going in our top 6 any time soon.

This is a pretty abysmal take. Here is the total list of Blues prospects since the season ending lockout to get ranked in the top 10 in Hockey

Erik Johnson
Alex Pietrangelo
Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz
Robert Thomas
Jordan Kyrou

Notice a trend ther? Maybe we should try, you know, NOT trading that for a worse prospect for no real reason?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd rather have Lindholm, but you'd have to give up more. Plus, who are the Ducks taking to get him or Fowler? The Blues can't take on that salary and I doubt the Ducks want Bouwmeester (closest salary cap hit) or a similar salary hit forward in return, unless they could flip them again. I think it's going to be hard for Army to add help or back up this roster with a middle 6 F or top 4 D without making a "hockey trade" or selling off a piece to another team, I just don't see it.
I'd rather have Lindholm too, but doesn't seem like he is available. And we have roughly $5mm worth of deadline cap space, so adding player isn't going to be that big of challenge capwise.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd rather have Lindholm too, but doesn't seem like he is available. And we have roughly $mm worth of deadline cap space, so adding player isn't going to be that big of challenge capwise.
I've only heard from ducks people once on Sirius and they made it seem like all options are on the table.

It would be idiotic if them to trade him

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've only heard from ducks people once on Sirius and they made it seem like all options are on the table.

It would be idiotic if them to trade him
I think it was like when Army said he would trade anyone. After Gibson he's probably their 1 cornerstone player.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There’s been an unusually high mentions of the same name today.

Lou Korac, John Kelly, Jeremy Rutherford, Randy Karraker, and Bernie all made mention of Carolina defenseman Justin Faulk specifically to come aid the powerplay.

I don’t know if they’re looking to sell with them being right in the thick of the race in the East but I found it interesting how many times I heard Faulk’s name today across Twitter and 101.1

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
There’s been an unusually high mentions of the same name today.

Lou Korac, John Kelly, Jeremy Rutherford, Randy Karraker, and Bernie all made mention of Carolina defenseman Justin Faulk specifically to come aid the powerplay.

I don’t know if they’re looking to sell with them being right in the thick of the race in the East but I found it interesting how many times I heard Faulk’s name today across Twitter and 101.1

Can we instead get them to chant Hayes?

Reactions: STLomacneko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad