Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Tank isn't being used properly. He was on the point tonight, passing to O'Reilly, in the exact spot that he used to be in where he'd catch a pass, skate to center, and then rifle a wrister in while the goalie was being screened. The coaching scheme is terrible.
This. When your best passer is your leading goal scorer and your best shooter is your 2nd leading assist guy, it should click somewhere that something might be off with your offensive scheme.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If you're looking to deal Tarasenko there's only one plausible scenario in my opinion.

Mark Stone doesn't want to extend in Ottawa.

A 1 for 1 swap Tarasenko for Stone. Obviously Stone comes with an extension and the trade is made January 1st. Ottawa gets a marketable superstar inexchange for an asset they'll lose (who is a superstar).

An exchange of similar aged RW who are both elite level.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If you're looking to deal Tarasenko there's only one plausible scenario in my opinion.

Mark Stone doesn't want to extend in Ottawa.

A 1 for 1 swap Tarasenko for Stone. Obviously Stone comes with an extension and the trade is made January 1st. Ottawa gets a marketable superstar inexchange for an asset they'll lose (who is a superstar).

An exchange of similar aged RW who are both elite level.
I would do an extended Stone for Tarasenko in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Mike Liut

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
While Stone is a great player. Outside of Vladi’s first full year in the league, Stone has never scored more goals or points than Vladi has.

As frustrating as Tarasenko makes me some times, I think he will get out of this funk. He has just gotten too lax on the ice and like I’ve said before he is just that type that needs a ball-busting coach to keep him motivated.

Reactions: mk80

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
While Stone is a great player. Outside of Vladi’s first full year in the league, Stone has never scored more goals or points than Vladi has.

As frustrating as Tarasenko makes me some times, I think he will get out of this funk. He has just gotten too lax on the ice and like I’ve said before he is just that type that needs a ball-busting coach to keep him motivated.

I’m a huge Tarasenko fan - but the best player on the team can’t be a guy who needs a certain coach to keep him motivated.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m a huge Tarasenko fan - but the best player on the team can’t be a guy who needs a certain coach to keep him motivated.
I? don't think the problem with Tank (or team) is lack of motivation. Lack of confidence is much bigger issue.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
It would be nice to get Mark Stone(with an extension) for Tank, it would be even better to sign him as a UFA and then trade Tank for other assets.

We're in full on fantasy land now though.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I have a feeling something big is going to go down - something we won’t be expecting

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
How close to 100% is Vlad after surgery?

Last night was not a good game for him. He needs to not be a possession killer. I just wonder how much he is able to play HIS game right now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I’m much more comfortable in Army’s ability to acquire a ‘name’ guy than sell one. The last thing I want is to see Tarasenko or Schwartz traded in an Oshie-like deal. If I’m Stillman I sooner fire Armstrong than trade 91.

Reactions: mk80

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I’m much more comfortable in Army’s ability to acquire a ‘name’ guy than sell one. The last thing I want is to see Tarasenko or Schwartz traded in an Oshie-like deal. If I’m Stillman I sooner fire Armstrong than trade 91.
Gotta do both - get rid of name guy and acquire one in the same deal.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
If we get outside the playoff hunt this year, we need to shop petro aggressively. He only has a year left on his deal and we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. As to a new contract, I really don’t want to pay petro 9ish million on a 7-8 year deal. Some team will pay him but I think it would be a mistake for us to do so. He will be 31 years old when any new deal begins. We’ve gotten most of his prime years.....time to move on unless we really are competing for a cup this year.

A year and a half of petro would probably bring a very nice package from a team that is going for it this year and next year.

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If we get outside the playoff hunt this year, we need to shop petro aggressively. He only has a year left on his deal and we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. As to a new contract, I really don’t want to pay petro 9ish million on a 7-8 year deal. Some team will pay him but I think it would be a mistake for us to do so. He will be 31 years old when any new deal begins. We’ve gotten most of his prime years.....time to move on unless we really are competing for a cup this year.
I actually agree with this. We should look to move petro at the deadline.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
What should we offer to Schenn to extend? What should we do if he refuses to discuss an extension? He also has one year left on his deal.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Honestly I think all trade talk should be shelved until we fully figure out the coaching situation. I know Army said a couple of weeks to months but it needs to get done sooner rather than later to get that person in and let them establish their game plan.

We are too late in the season and too far down in the standings to think a shakeup trade will have an enormous impact on things. This core got us into this mess it is up to them to get us out. If they don't turn things around then we have to look at selling complimentary pieces (Maroon, Bouw, Bozak) at the deadline and then deal with a core shakeup next summer. Perhaps with another team looking for shakeup (Edmonton, LA, Vegas)

I just don't see the core shakeup move happening during the season. If your doing a move like that it is to change the culture. The worst thing for that is to bring in new players to a team already eliminated from contention.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
If I'm trading anybody major, Tarasenko is not on my list. I get he not the leader in goals or assist, but he second overall and people still say he lazy or whatever but clearly are not watching him play. He making plays and blocks. He was one of the few trying against the Hawks a couple games ago. Who was blocking the empty neat attempt by playing goalie in the situation? He was and after getting a tooth knocked out so he not soft like people say he is.

My list would be:
1. Petro: He going to have one more year left and will be turning 31 when the new deal would start. His play this year so far is far from what he was last year and makes me question if a long term deal would be wise when we see what happens with aging players at Defense already. Honestly the rebuild needs to be the defensive side. He doesn't show me enough defensive play to show me the value. We need more defense first offensive second defenders. Petro is the other way around. Would be seeking younger cheaper opinions.
2. Boumeester: On his last year and I get he doesn't have any real value, if we can get something like a late draft pick. He one of the biggest problems on the team IMO.
3. Gunnarson: His health been a real question and on his last year. He would be another deadline guy trying to gain a pick or something for him.
4. Steen: This maybe one of the more unpopular guys on the list but the man in aging and is a cap hit. He still has some value and this would be more to clear room for Kyrou and start gaining cap money so you can resign a guy like Schenn
5. Jake Allen: He streaky at best. When he on his game he damn good. When he bad, hes very bad. Honestly we are paying him starter money but he clearly mentally better off as a back up. If we are going to seek a new starter and have a chance in gaining an elite one best chance free agency, they need to move it for cap reasons. Now what is his value is tough to say. I would say later round draft picks or Mid to lower level prospects for most teams would be likely.

The big issue with the team they are like the Cardinals where they never are bad enough to get a #1 draft pick. Even if we are the worst team this year we already gave up the 2019 first round anyway. So it's harder for this team to draft that develop that new superstar or Elite Goalie in house.

Reactions: Zamadoo

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Honestly I think all trade talk should be shelved until we fully figure out the coaching situation. I know Army said a couple of weeks to months but it needs to get done sooner rather than later to get that person in and let them establish their game plan.

We are too late in the season and too far down in the standings to think a shakeup trade will have an enormous impact on things. This core got us into this mess it is up to them to get us out. If they don't turn things around then we have to look at selling complimentary pieces (Maroon, Bouw, Bozak) at the deadline and then deal with a core shakeup next summer. Perhaps with another team looking for shakeup (Edmonton, LA, Vegas)

I just don't see the core shakeup move happening during the season. If your doing a move like that it is to change the culture. The worst thing for that is to bring in new players to a team already eliminated from contention.
Fair enough. I was not really proposing it as a shake up trade. More so a “preserve the future” trade if we clearly are going to miss the playoffs. Since that isn’t yet a certainty, we can just wait to discuss big trades until missing the playoffs is a certainty.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Even if we are the worst team this year we already gave up the 2019 first round anyway. So it's harder for this team to draft that develop that new superstar or Elite Goalie in house.

The Blues’ 2019 1st round pick is top 10 prospected. If the pick is 1-10 the Blues keep it and Buffalo would get the 2020 1st.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis

Stone is easily better than Tarasenko. He's produced upwards of a point per game pace for over 80 games now, is 26 and one of, if not the best defensive winger in the league. And he does this on Ottawa.

Imagine a line featuring O'Reilly and Stone? It'd be unstoppable.

And for Ottawa, if Stone isn't re-signing they certainly won't get anything close to as good as Tarasenko. Stone will likely cost more (somewhere between 8-8.5M for 8 years) but he's easily worth the cost of acquisition.

Tarasenko is an amazing talent and his potential is sky high but Mark Stone is better in every way.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I? don't think the problem with Tank (or team) is lack of motivation. Lack of confidence is much bigger issue.

Hull was no different. Plenty of former players talked about how someone like Kelly Chase or others would choose Hull’s ass out for playing ‘lazy’. Some players are just that way. I don’t think it is a coincidence that Tarasenko went to shit once Hitch left. Hitch wasn’t afraid to tell Vladi like it is. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
For Thanksgiving fun, I'm contemplating a mega deal with Columbus based around Petro+Schwartz/Steen+Allen and Panarin+Murray+Bobrovsky. Columbus is 18th in GA/GP and 8th in GF/GP (Atkinson with 13 goals). Their goalies' stats don't look amazing.

The trade would give Columbus some term on high level players that would also help balance their team and keep them in the runnings for a couple more years. This is assuming Panarin and Bobrovsky are planning to jet.

We miracle our way into the playoffs, and re-sign Panarin.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
For Thanksgiving fun, I'm contemplating a mega deal with Columbus based around Petro+Schwartz/Steen+Allen and Panarin+Murray+Bobrovsky. Columbus is 18th in GA/GP and 8th in GF/GP (Atkinson with 13 goals). Their goalies' stats don't look amazing.

The trade would give Columbus some term on high level players that would also help balance their team and keep them in the runnings for a couple more years. This is assuming Panarin and Bobrovsky are planning to jet.

We miracle our way into the playoffs, and re-sign Panarin.
Why would they want Petro.....they have Jones.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Stone is easily better than Tarasenko. He's produced upwards of a point per game pace for over 80 games now, is 26 and one of, if not the best defensive winger in the league. And he does this on Ottawa.

Imagine a line featuring O'Reilly and Stone? It'd be unstoppable.

And for Ottawa, if Stone isn't re-signing they certainly won't get anything close to as good as Tarasenko. Stone will likely cost more (somewhere between 8-8.5M for 8 years) but he's easily worth the cost of acquisition.

Tarasenko is an amazing talent and his potential is sky high but Mark Stone is better in every way.
Stone is the superior player defensively, but I think it's a stretch to say that he's clearly better than Tarasenko offensively.

For one thing, Tarasenko is unarguably the better goal scorer, and even if their point total paces are equal, goal scoring is still inherently more valuable than assists.

On top of that, Tarasenko has 4 seasons of offensive production better than Stone's best season. They both broke into the league at the same age and have the same number of years in the league, and Tarasenko has 80 more goals and 93 more points than Stone. That's a huge production gap that you seem to be discounting completely.

Yes, Stone was injured last year and he was on pace to better that, but it's still decidedly easier to sustain that level of play for 60 games than it is for 80. That's an extra 20 games for injuries to take a toll, slumps to creep in, etc. And, yes, I'm not going to argue against someone who wants to say that Stone has taken a step forward in his mid-20s, but there's still something to be said for the consistency that Tarasenko has displayed over his career that Stone has not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad