Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If we get outside the playoff hunt this year, we need to shop petro aggressively. He only has a year left on his deal and we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. As to a new contract, I really don’t want to pay petro 9ish million on a 7-8 year deal. Some team will pay him but I think it would be a mistake for us to do so. He will be 31 years old when any new deal begins. We’ve gotten most of his prime years.....time to move on unless we really are competing for a cup this year.

A year and a half of petro would probably bring a very nice package from a team that is going for it this year and next year.
I'd agree. We've seen Keith nose dive in his play, I'd move Petro too, and hope Parayko can fill in. As much as I hate it.....but Nylander+ wouldn't be the worst thing.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The problem with this Tarasenko talk I have is the following:

I'll give you the fact that he does seem off, he's certainly passed up plenty of opportunities to shoot when he normally would before.

The problem is if Tarasenko doesn't score or have some ultra super fancy skill move in a game, some people are quick to say he can't do anything or he's lazy, etc. However, he is 2nd on the team offensively this season behind O'Reilly separated by 10 points (ROR 26, Tarasenko 16). To me while I think there's something from his shoulder surgery that has been limiting him either physically or mentally, watching him I also think plenty of his opportunities where he doesn't shoot is that he is being too generous of a player. As much as I disliked Hitch for his lack of offensive style coaching, Tarasenko was a 40 goal scorer under his tenure, which shows how important coaching is to a team. If we have the right the coach in place, I believe you'll see a lot of our best players who have been "off" this year get back to their top play.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'd agree. We've seen Keith nose dive in his play, I'd move Petro too, and hope Parayko can fill in. As much as I hate it.....but Nylander+ wouldn't be the worst thing.

Agreed. If you want a big return for Petro, this is the year to get it.

Again, imo, this is not a “panic move” brought about by this year’s poor performance and we certainly don’t do it if we get back in the playoff hunt. This a common sensical asset assessment: if you aren’t going to make the playoffs and aren’t going to re-sign a major asset who has slightly over a year left on his deal, you need to shop the asset for a good return. It makes sense for the future of the franchise.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If we get outside the playoff hunt this year, we need to shop petro aggressively. He only has a year left on his deal and we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. As to a new contract, I really don’t want to pay petro 9ish million on a 7-8 year deal. Some team will pay him but I think it would be a mistake for us to do so. He will be 31 years old when any new deal begins. We’ve gotten most of his prime years.....time to move on unless we really are competing for a cup this year.

A year and a half of petro would probably bring a very nice package from a team that is going for it this year and next year.

For the record Pietrangelo will be 30 years old when his next contract begins and will turn 31 during the 1st year of that contract.

I think most fans get far too attached to their favorite player. I still see people missing Backes. Most Boston fans would give him away for free if another team would take him. The Blues got the best years out of Backes and moved on. The Blues have already had Pietrangelo for the best years of his career. The next 8 years won't be as good for him as the previous 8. I agree he will sign a long term contract in the neighborhood of 7 years for close to 9 million per year. Is that really the best thing for the Blues organization? If the Blues sign him to that kind of extension the back end of the term will not be pleasant.

Nylander might be an idea but if the Blues decide to move him there pretty much has to be a defenseman coming back in whatever sort of package is worked out. Bortuzzo and Schmaltz can't be in the top 4.

I don't think the Blues will trade Pietrangelo. I think if there was any possibility they would trade him, now is the time.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The problem with this Tarasenko talk I have is the following:

I'll give you the fact that he does seem off, he's certainly passed up plenty of opportunities to shoot when he normally would before.

The problem is if Tarasenko doesn't score or have some ultra super fancy skill move in a game, some people are quick to say he can't do anything or he's lazy, etc. However, he is 2nd on the team offensively this season behind O'Reilly separated by 10 points (ROR 26, Tarasenko 16). To me while I think there's something from his shoulder surgery that has been limiting him either physically or mentally, watching him I also think plenty of his opportunities where he doesn't shoot is that he is being too generous of a player. As much as I disliked Hitch for his lack of offensive style coaching, Tarasenko was a 40 goal scorer under his tenure, which shows how important coaching is to a team. If we have the right the coach in place, I believe you'll see a lot of our best players who have been "off" this year get back to their top play.

Tarasenko is 9th overall in shots on net with 81. The problem is he's shooting 7.4% Coaches can't be on the ice to fix that. The goals will start going in for him sooner rather than later.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Trading Piertangelo is insanity. Teams would kill for a true #1D, and buying low on Petro would be any GM’s wet-dream. Top defensemen age very well traditionally, and if anything the Blues may be able to lock him long-term on a reasonable contract (Schenn too) if the club simply lays a turd this year. This disaster of a season may be a blessing in disguise if they can reset next year with some of the problems (or whom Petro isn’t one) removed from the roster.

Reactions: Thallis

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Tarasenko is 9th overall in shots on net with 81. The problem is he's shooting 7.4% Coaches can't be on the ice to fix that. The goals will start going in for him sooner rather than later.
Exactly. If he's at his career shooting % he's got 11 goals and we're probably at least 4 points up in the standings. [And Yeo is still probably here as HC, and the season doesn't look as dire, and then there's little to no talk about trading him or Pietrangelo or anyone else.] I don't know where his 81 shots are all coming from, so it could be "he's taking more shots, but they're lower-percentage shots and that's driving things."

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Trading Piertangelo is insanity. Teams would kill for a true #1D, and buying low on Petro would be any GM’s wet-dream. Top defensemen age very well traditionally, and if anything the Blues may be able to lock him long-term on a reasonable contract (Schenn too) if the club simply lays a turd this year. This disaster of a season may be a blessing in disguise if they can reset next year with some of the problems (or whom Petro isn’t one) removed from the roster.
Duncan Keith....Shea Weber....yada yada. Petro gets hit more often then not. There are absolutely no guarantees in how a guy will age. Steen was supposed to age well, that went down the crappy. Hey. I've got another one,JAY f***ING BOUMEESTER.

I would not say trade Petro at all costs but if you can get multiple top assets, it has to be considered. Push Parayko into the role.

Look at a package of Nylander+Lilijgren and a 1st. I wouldn't say it's an easy win but it's a 1st line winger, plus to very good assets.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Exactly. If he's at his career shooting % he's got 11 goals and we're probably at least 4 points up in the standings. [And Yeo is still probably here as HC, and the season doesn't look as dire, and then there's little to no talk about trading him or Pietrangelo or anyone else.] I don't know where his 81 shots are all coming from, so it could be "he's taking more shots, but they're lower-percentage shots and that's driving things."
His shooting doesnt not look very Tarasenko'esque. Last typical goal I've seen from him was the...well his last goal against Chicago. Before that would be last year against Florida.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’m to the point where I’d have no problem trading Tarasenko and Petro. Id like to see a new coach and a new system in place first, but if I could get equal or greater value, i’d definitely consider moving one or both in the right deal. I’d move Tarasenko for a signed Nylander or Stone. This team for sure needs a shake up.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m to the point where I’d have no problem trading Tarasenko and Petro. Id like to see a new coach and a new system in place first, but if I could get equal or greater value, i’d definitely consider moving one or both in the right deal. I’d move Tarasenko for a signed Nylander or Stone. This team for sure needs a shake up.
I'm torn on it. Tarasenko looked useless last night. He's just not playing like the guy we need. He's too big, and too skilled to be this sluggish.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Remember when we traded Oshie for Brouwer? I’m not a fan of the “shake-up” trade.

Also, if we trade Tarasenko or Pietrangelo or Schwartz after 20 games when it took 4 years to trade Berglund, I’d be very upset. There’s no way a GM that always waits until the last minute would be so spontaneous.

There’s just no logic behind any of this nonsense. The closest thing we’ve seen to a ROR-level work ethic has been Tarasenko. Last game included. He was exhibiting a lot of effort along the boards but just couldn’t will the team to a win against the best team in the league a day after getting a new coach and down Schwartz and Steen. The level of ridiculousness has increased to an all-time high; it’s facebook level of stupidity.

Reactions: mk80

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
If the Blues trade Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, or whoever else, then we can't complain for having a rebuild for the next 5+ years.

Reactions: 67Blues

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think if there is going to be a big trade to shake up the core, (and I am not convinced of that), Pietrangelo is more likely to be traded than Tarasenko.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
He's 2nd on the team in scoring and 4 points away from PPG. Is something in the water right now? We got rid of Yeo a game ago. Let some things work themselves out.
I'm legitimately starting to think someone has spiked the water supply with varying forms of amphetamines if the most rational decision for improving the team is to trade its best defenseman and best scorer.

Reactions: mk80 and Thallis

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm legitimately starting to think someone has spiked the water supply with varying forms of amphetamines if the most rational decision for improving the team is to trade its best defenseman and best scorer.
But ... we're changing stuff. We're holding people accountable. Who cares if any of the resulting decisions make sense, we're showing guys we're serious about shipping them out of here if they don't get off their fat, lazy, unmotivated asses and start scoring and playing hard and hitting everything in sight.

And if all else fails, pull stuff out of the 60s and 70s and 80s motivational book that's been proven not to really work in today's game and do it anyway. Because ... why the hell not.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
If the Blues trade Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, or whoever else, then we can't complain for having a rebuild for the next 5+ years.

If we play our cards right we could have a fast rebuild by trading those players, maybe even get our first back from Buffalo.

Schwartz + for our 1st back + Reinhart

Not sure what Reinhart's value is, probably way off.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He's 2nd on the team in scoring and 4 points away from PPG. Is something in the water right now? We got rid of Yeo a game ago. Let some things work themselves out.
Errrrmygerd he's 2nd in points..... that doesnt mean he doesnt look like the player we expected.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
But ... we're changing stuff. We're holding people accountable. Who cares if any of the resulting decisions make sense, we're showing guys we're serious about shipping them out of here if they don't get off their fat, lazy, unmotivated asses and start scoring and playing hard and hitting everything in sight.

And if all else fails, pull stuff out of the 60s and 70s and 80s motivational book that's been proven not to really work in today's game and do it anyway. Because ... why the hell not.
So stand pat and do nothing?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not saying trades have to be made but changes are likely.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Stand pat and draft in the top 5.

This roster is the best one I have since we went into the rebuild. I don’t get it and really understand fan frusteration.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We literally just did something 3 days ago.
And whos frantically demanding trades? I see people looking and discussing options. There's nothing wrong with that and given comments from the GM, they are warranted. Pretending people are crazy for entertaining ideas is just being an asshole.

This team is in a state where all options may be on the table.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
And whos frantically demanding trades? I see people looking and discussing options. There's nothing wrong with that and given comments from the GM, they are warranted. Pretending people are crazy for entertaining ideas is just being an *******.

This team is in a state where all options may be on the table.

You just put laughing emotes for someone who wants to ride out the coaching change. That's not really "discussing options." Even if people were just discussing options, the trading Pietrangelo or Tarasenko options should be considered crazy and stupid because they are crazy and stupid. There is no trade to be made that involves those players that makes the Blues a better team now or in the future. Blowing the team up is not an option when we're missing our first either this year or next. The issue was coaching. Coaching is being addressed. Let that run its course before we start talking about trading our best players. If you trade either of those guys, we're going to be complaining in a few years as we watch them lift the cup for another team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You just put laughing emotes for someone who wants to ride out the coaching change. That's not really "discussing options." Even if people were just discussing options, the trading Pietrangelo or Tarasenko options should be considered crazy and stupid because they are crazy and stupid. There is no trade to be made that involves those players that makes the Blues a better team now or in the future. Blowing the team up is not an option when we're missing our first either this year or next. The issue was coaching. Coaching is being addressed. Let that run its course before we start talking about trading our best players. If you trade either of those guys, we're going to be complaining in a few years as we watch them lift the cup for another team.
The emotes are there because it's not intended to be a discussion. It's a condensending post. Same as yours.

What good is trading Steen, Boumeester, Gunnarson, Allen or insert any non core player if management views the core as a problem? Our best players are not being our best players.

I have no clue how to fix the roster as it shouldn't be this bad. I agree that coaching needs to be addressed before any core trades, but who's the coach that's going to fix this group, Coach Q? What if he says no? Keife....? We cant touch him till the offseason, this Gronberg guy from Sweden? Theres no obvious magic bullet to fix this team. That's why its worth discussing all options, I'm open to discussing returns even if I dont ultimately want to trade the players

Reactions: Spektre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad