Post-Game Talk: Blues @ Rangers Nov. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovemarkmessier

Oct 13, 2011
New York
Our goal output is just insane right now. Is this sustainable? I sure hope so.. So much fun to watch. I do not ever wanna hear Torts name mentioned with this team again and his 1.8 goals per game that made me wanna nap till Duguay and Maloney came on!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
We're passing so well that Sam Rosen thinks we have a new player called Score. Stepan passes to.... score! Vesey to Miller to.... Score!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We're passing so well that Sam Rosen thinks we have a new player called Score. Stepan passes to.... score! Vesey to Miller to.... Score!

I don`t like to be concerned on a night like this, but Klein has been quiet this season - is he 100% healthy? :)

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don`t like to be concerned on a night like this, but Klein has been quiet this season - is he 100% healthy? :)

It's all a part of the name economy. Kevin Hayes is trending up so Kevin Klein trends downward. DeRick Brassard leaves, Derek Stepan and Rick Nash trends up. Tanner Glass is gone, Jonathan Tanner Miller trends up. Dan Boyle is gone Dan Paille is gone, Dan Girardi trends up. Eric Staal is gone, Marc Staal is trending up. Chris Summers is buried, Chris Kreider trends up.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not a contender blah blah this is as I expected a good deal whose defensive deficiencies are masked by an extremely strong offense with lots of depth and theoretically very strong goaltending. And the defensive issues are further mitigated by AV's surprisingly philosophical change and no longer playing all 6 defensemen the same amount.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not a contender blah blah this is as I expected a good deal whose defensive deficiencies are masked by an extremely strong offense with lots of depth and theoretically very strong goaltending. And the defensive issues are further mitigated by AV's surprisingly philosophical change and no longer playing all 6 defensemen the same amount.
This in particular makes me very happy. McDonagh is playing 4 minutes more than anyone else per game right now. Last year everyone was within like 4 minutes of each other which is nuts.

It's kind of flown under the radar, I don't think many people are aware.
omg I get it :laugh:

Last edited:

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not going to pretend like I saw this offensive explosion coming this season, but definitely makes me laugh at all the people who were doom-and-gloom about the Rangers in the offseason. Blow it all up. The window is closed. etc.

We continue to gain so much just by our young players continuing to develop. Kreider and Miller look like superstars. Hayes looks amazing. Skjei is getting better every game. Fast, Buch, Vesey, even Step and Mac - these guys are young, they're improving, building experience.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I love how after every loss to the Rangers, opposing fans think that the Rangers played the game of their lives against them or the I don't know how we lost to that team.

The narrative continues that we are supposed to be terrible. How long will it last? The All-Star break? Anyway, it's extremely satisfying to continue destroying the opposition.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Is it me or is Steve Zipay an *******?

Seems like a real sarcastic winner on twitter

Yep, he is the worst.

So apparently to Zipay the 10 slow starts of Hank's career don't prove a trend versus the 1 time he had a good start.

He has no connections, has never broken a story and isn't a terribly good beat writer. Carpinello, who just got canned, is/was 10x the beat writer Zipay is.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I had to miss the last 2 periods...did they ever say what happened to McD..that looked scary, thought his eye got scratched then he went head first into the boards...

( I do know he came back)

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I had to miss the last 2 periods...did they ever say what happened to McD..that looked scary, thought his eye got scratched then he went head first into the boards...

Lehtera carelessly high sticked him around the eye and then he ran into the boards on his own power. Probably from being disoriented.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm not going to pretend like I saw this offensive explosion coming this season, but definitely makes me laugh at all the people who were doom-and-gloom about the Rangers in the offseason. Blow it all up. The window is closed. etc.

We continue to gain so much just by our young players continuing to develop. Kreider and Miller look like superstars. Hayes looks amazing. Skjei is getting better every game. Fast, Buch, Vesey, even Step and Mac - these guys are young, they're improving, building experience.

The people who over the summer were calling for it to be completely blown up were off base. Just very beaten down from the previous season and the thought these days is that you're either a contender or if you're not that you're better off tanking.

I said all along I thought this team has a strong core, just with the right re-tooling can be right back to being a contender. It was just a matter of Gorton going about it the right way and I think largely he did. The Zibanejad trade was massive, Gradbner and Pirri signings were great, Vesey was a coup and Buch coming over is huge. The key part was identifying the weakness (speed) and addressing it and he did a good job to that. Skill and speed. Grabner, Pirri, Jooris, even Gerbe was a good add.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Again.

Whaaaaa...

Sticky this.

Sticky all of the Machinehead compliments to Ranger players.

So we can tell him that he's not a grinch at Christmas time.

The chemistry between JT and Hayes is unreal. I really wanna see Buch on that line as well, but Grabner also compliments them nicely. It's like Hags-Hayes-Miller from two years ago except Hayes and Miller are both even better now.

I actually made that comparison in Sunday's PGT. Grabner is more skilled and bigger and stronger than Hagelin and Miller is as talented of a winger as he's ever had. It's a much better line than the one from 2 years ago.

Hayes and Vesey singing here after trading away all those 1sts is hilarious and satisfying. The feeling is Grinch-esque (surely there's a German word to describe this )

Yeah, just sort through KMFDM's discography catalog, I'm sure they used the word you're looking for as one of the names of their umpteen albums.

You don't want to notice a guy like Klein. Sometimes, guys like him a better when you don't notice them.

However, I have noticed Marc Staal. He's definitely back to his old form. He's making plays that I haven't seen him make in god knows how long. He made 4 or 5 plays to move the puck out of trouble that I swear I haven't seen him make since he was a rookie. He looks great out there. I'm glad to be eating my words about him.

I can't sit here and say I saw offense like this, but I definitely knew they would score more than last year. There's not one line that's solely responsible for the offense, which makes it that much harder for teams to game plan against, because there's 3 lines that can kill you on any given night and a 4th line that can put in goals as well. AV has done a great job with dispensing the ice time, so the shifts are short, players don't get tired as easily and it allows them to skate at 150% each shift they're out there. To boot, the possession numbers are amazing, so while they're doing that, the defense is tired to boot and the Rangers have an easier job of switching the offense on the fly.

It was the defense that concerned me, but my comment about that ties into what you said below.

Skjei is the unsung hero in all of this. His growth and development is making this defense that much better and his skating ability is damn near elite. He's getting more and more confident with the puck each game, especially now that AV is telling the defense to activate. The Rangers needed a defender like him and honestly, Clendening should be playing as well. When you add that kind of speed and puck movement, it helps the team get the puck out of the zone.

Although I'm not crying over the fact that he's not here anymore, John Moore would actually fit perfectly in with this team.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

When they were all head bumping with Hank at the end McD had a really dark mark right at the outside corner of his right eye. I imagine the bone there took the brunt of it, but the stick must've caught him in the eye as well. He definitely couldn't see there and was disoriented.

Getting a stick there is the worst because it kills and you can't see and you immediately think your eye is completely screwed.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Its early still, so i still have... i cant say doubts.. i dont even know if i can say reservations.. but i feel that the sample size is too small. It is perfectly normal for a player on a new team to play above normal ability levels, so i would like more data.. basically more games to look at the team when things have normalized.

What is extremely positive is that per today, we have 4 complete lines that are all very dangerous, and we have such a wealth of scorers that even if one or two "hits a wall" or "starts to struggle".. it is not likely to affect the team as a whole much, if at all.

The funny thing is that our defense has improved markedly. This is still the same crappy defense that we have been complaining about for a very long time (and rightly so in my opinion).. they are probably punching above their weight, as well as being greatly helped out by a very speedy offensive game.

Well.. instead of writing a book, i guess i am sort of worried about the sustainability of playing the way we do. And the only way i can get an answer to that, is to see them play more games.

Just to add if anyone thought otherwise, i am currently extremely happy with the team :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad