Post-Game Talk: Blues @ Rangers Nov. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I literally almost had a heart attack when McD left the game yesterday. Could you imagine our defense is we lost Mcd long term? He's literally been the rock that has held the defense together for the most part...

If he was literally a rock he probably wouldn't be able to play in the NHL as it's played by humans. :teach:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I agree with this, but I think their resurgance is not only do rest and healing, but also especially do to how mobile the forwards are now.

And that AV pulled his head out his ass and adjusted to system to fit our roster, and not have the roster adjust to the system.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The adjustments are evident and the forwards are helping the D a lot more here. But having said that to me the biggest thing is mcdonagh Staal and Girardi are all healthy and had a full offseason to recover and train. With how deep we've gone year after year and the injuries these 3 have had to play thru no one has had time to have a normal offseason to get strong. That wasn't the case this summer. All three got healthy trained hard and look significantly better than last year. Girardi included. I've seen him railroad a few guys that just wouldn't have happened a year ago. Staals skating looks like he's 24 again. And mcdonagh looks like a Norris contender.

Like let's be honest we're 7-3 but should be 10-0. We've absolutely dominated every night. Goaltending was shaky if hank is back and from what I saw last night he's definitely on track, well man our D is more than sufficient to win a lot of games with this offense.

We should not overpay for any D man. If we can make a fair trade great but I'm not giving up miller AND skjei for trouba or anyone.

Gorton has done wonders thus far......lets just hope he realizes "he's dealing from strength". In other words........we dont "have to" make a deal. Be patient, be very patient.......unless a deal just blows him away.

And just say NO, to requests for JT. Someday soon, he's going to be entering Callahan territory. I mean he can literally do it all, and do it well, he's bigger and stronger than Cally will ever be...........and I believe he can score a helluva lot better than Cally.......well, eventually he will.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Raanta is a good signing but perhaps we should have gotten more for cambot. And the Rangers will always do well on goaltending so long as Allaire is here, probably the best goaltending coach in the world

Yes, Edmonton took us to the cleaners on that one, but only because that is what the market always dictated. No 25 games played goalie is a guarantee in handling the vigors of a true #1 goaltender. One that plays 65 or so. Guess thats why all you can get is a #2 at best, for the most part. I sure as hell thought he was worth a #1, but if you're the Oil.......are you gonna just give it away that easily?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So, it was a good game for sure and I couldn't be happier with the way they're playing.

I wouldn't hold too much about the idea of beating two good teams. Until last night, the Bolts were really struggling. The Blues have been having a hard time scoring to begin with. Neither team has been playing particularly well.

What is this team's baseline? It's still to early to know.

True, so true. One might say that beating up on Edmonton in that same manner, might say much more than those last two games. Now, im not saying Edmonton is going to win the Prez trophy, but just for arguments sake.

It would tell ME something if we spank them while holding the "all world" rookie of the year in check. They've been playing very well, despite their last 2 losses. This will be the first time we face BOTS......right?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So stl and Tampa get benefit of the doubt that they're Cup contenders even though we fed them their lunch but we aren't because why?

Don't get that logic.

We also overcame a 2-0 hole in Washington with 4 straight goals to send them a message too. Does that one count?

We have made the needed adjustments.

Our blueline is healthy

Our offense is absurd

And our best player Henrik Lundqvist will be coming around here shortly.

We are every bit as dangerous as anyone

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So stl and Tampa get benefit of the doubt that they're Cup contenders even though we fed them their lunch but we aren't because why?

Don't get that logic.

We also overcame a 2-0 hole in Washington with 4 straight goals to send them a message too. Does that one count?

Our blueline is healthy

Our offense is absurd

All true. But cups are won in June. Right now though, we're pretty much as good as anyone.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Who said we weren't contenders? I said these games were great. In context, some of the shine is removed. If your team is a contender and plays a few bad games, how much stock do you put in the losses? See it from both perspectives.

It's more about measuring where we are, and that includes accounting for the strength of the opponent AT THAT MOMENT and not overall.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Who said we weren't contenders? I said these games were great. In context, some of the shine is removed. If your team is a contender and plays a few bad games, how much stock do you put in the losses? See it from both perspectives.

It's more about measuring where we are, and that includes accounting for the strength of the opponent AT THAT MOMENT and not overall.

Put a whooping on Edmonton, Jesper needs to wear McDavid's jersey and by neutralizing him, his linemates have been labeled as missing in action. We need a big game from Kleiner as well. Their PP has been struggling, but pk has been great. Not a good road team as they are so young and inexperienced, so an early lead will do wonders. Will we see more of that astounding offense? Everything points to such. 6-1 with Buch getting his 1st and 2nd. Stepan with 2 more assists, but no goal.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I don't understand the need to be negative when the team wins by a combined score of 11-1 in back to back games against two good teams. I don't mind the negativity when we play poorly, or at least I understand it. It boggles my mind why you'd want to be negative or at the very least take away from the wins.

The Lightning were 5-1 and lost two straight games 3-1, one of which was against the 9-0-1 Canadians in a one goal game plus an empty net. How were they "really struggling"? I guess they were not playing their best but way to exaggerate. 2 3-1 losses to two tough teams is "really struggling"? You must have REALLY high standards. In fact, they were struggling so much that the next game they beat the Islanders 6-1. The Blues were having trouble scoring sure, but it's not like we won 1-0. They were 2-2-2 following their 3-0 start. Not great, but not "struggling" either. When we were 2-2 to start the season did the Caps beat the struggling Rangers? I get it when we beat a good Capitals team some years back that was in the middle of a 5 (or more) game losing streak. This is nonsense. Why come up with reasons to be negative and to take away from two impressive wins? I'm sure the Rangers will lay a few eggs over the season even if they win the Presidents' Trophy and cup, you'll have enough ammo. At this point I just don't get it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
True, so true. One might say that beating up on Edmonton in that same manner, might say much more than those last two games. Now, im not saying Edmonton is going to win the Prez trophy, but just for arguments sake.

It would tell ME something if we spank them while holding the "all world" rookie of the year in check. They've been playing very well, despite their last 2 losses. This will be the first time we face BOTS......right?

Edmonton has been "struggling" just as much as Tampa when we played them. Lost two games in a row. Unlike Tampa, they haven't proven ****. If we beat Edmonton 6-1 I'll consider the Tampa win more impressive.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Edmonton has been "struggling" just as much as Tampa when we played them. Lost two games in a row. Unlike Tampa, they haven't proven ****. If we beat Edmonton 6-1 I'll consider the Tampa win more impressive.

Agreed. Edmonton is far from the benchmark lol.

We should run wild on these kids and early.

Pirri and Zibanejad rip a couple by cam clean tonight. Kreider might as well.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com

Don't get that logic.

Our blueline is healthy

Our offense is absurd

What Gorton did to Boston he has done to us.

Buch gets his first tonight.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Agreed. Edmonton is far from the benchmark lol.

We should run wild on these kids and early.

Pirri and Zibanejad rip a couple by cam clean tonight. Kreider might as well.

Sleeping on Edmonton is a huge mistake. They are a fast team and that will mitigate part of our speed advantage which has allowed us to create so many quality chances.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand the need to be negative when the team wins by a combined score of 11-1 in back to back games against two good teams. I don't mind the negativity when we play poorly, or at least I understand it. It boggles my mind why you'd want to be negative or at the very least take away from the wins.

The Lightning were 5-1 and lost two straight games 3-1, one of which was against the 9-0-1 Canadians in a one goal game plus an empty net. How were they "really struggling"? I guess they were not playing their best but way to exaggerate. 2 3-1 losses to two tough teams is "really struggling"? You must have REALLY high standards. In fact, they were struggling so much that the next game they beat the Islanders 6-1. The Blues were having trouble scoring sure, but it's not like we won 1-0. They were 2-2-2 following their 3-0 start. Not great, but not "struggling" either. When we were 2-2 to start the season did the Caps beat the struggling Rangers? I get it when we beat a good Capitals team some years back that was in the middle of a 5 (or more) game losing streak. This is nonsense. Why come up with reasons to be negative and to take away from two impressive wins? I'm sure the Rangers will lay a few eggs over the season even if they win the Presidents' Trophy and cup, you'll have enough ammo. At this point I just don't get it.

You really don't, because this entire post is predicated on the idea that I was being negative, which I wasn't.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the oil came in here last season and stomped us pretty good iirc.

would like to see buchy get his first tonight as well.

should be an entertaining game with the speed and talent on both teams.

our defense and goaltending should be the difference.

5-3 win

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

5-3 win

We actually won 4-2 last year when they came to MSG. We lost the one in Edmonton though, on Glen Sather Night.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

5-3 win

The year before was the 2-1 stinker that you're probably thinking of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad