Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Great potential college free agent goalie - has somebody signed him?

Hunter Shepard UMD

In addition to collecting his All-NCHC first-team trophy, the Cohasset native was named NCHC Goaltender of the Year and the NCHC Three Stars Award winner during the league’s 2018-19 awards celebration.

He is a Junior this year. I don’t see him getting a lot of offers good enough to cut his college career short. There will be a ton UFA goalies in the summer 2020. I’d wait until then. I expect one or two of them will be invited to the prospect camp this summer, since Blues will likely only have Hofer and Fitzpatrick there. Maybe they invite local Tommy Nappier and I’m hoping Jake Kielly gets an invite.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
He is a Junior this year. I don’t see him getting a lot of offers good enough to cut his college career short. There will be a ton UFA goalies in the summer 2020. I’d wait until then. I expect one or two of them will be invited to the prospect camp this summer, since Blues will likely only have Hofer and Fitzpatrick there. Maybe they invite local Tommy Nappier and I’m hoping Jake Kielly gets an invite.

Okay thanks. Appears that Shepard went to camp with Buffalo and Minnesota last year and didn't sign.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Does anyone watch the SA games often, i can look up basic stats on Kyrou and Kostin but i was wondering how these two guys are actually developing their games? Will they be ready next year? How much of an impact, if any can we expect for next season? Just looking for opinions of people who have actually seen them play a few times since the new year.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Our own little Leon. He's gonna be more than I think hes getting credit for.

I would kinda like to see him elevate that :laugh: Maybe a little too confident just sliding it in like that. From that angle it looks like the goalie almost got a piece of that. Nice goal though. Potential still seems to be sky high for him.

Reactions: Default

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Does anyone watch the SA games often, i can look up basic stats on Kyrou and Kostin but i was wondering how these two guys are actually developing their games? Will they be ready next year? How much of an impact, if any can we expect for next season? Just looking for opinions of people who have actually seen them play a few times since the new year.

Kyrou could probably play in the NHL next year, but he is wasted in the bottom 6 based on his style of play. If they make a spot, he should be fine. If not, another half season as the first man up in the AHL eouodnreally suit him well.

Kostin needs to either change his game or he could be KHL bound. He has dynamic offensive tools but has no clue what to do with them. If they develop him into a net front grindy type, he could potentially be ready. But that will all depend on if he's willing to abandon his current style, which is basically maneuver thru the neutral zone with no interest in passing, then try to beat 2 or 3 defenders and turn the puck over.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Kyrou could probably play in the NHL next year, but he is wasted in the bottom 6 based on his style of play. If they make a spot, he should be fine. If not, another half season as the first man up in the AHL eouodnreally suit him well.

Kostin needs to either change his game or he could be KHL bound. He has dynamic offensive tools but has no clue what to do with them. If they develop him into a net front grindy type, he could potentially be ready. But that will all depend on if he's willing to abandon his current style, which is basically maneuver thru the neutral zone with no interest in passing, then try to beat 2 or 3 defenders and turn the puck over.[/QUOTE]

He sounds like a more muscular version of a 19 year-old David Perron.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh

Kostin needs to either change his game or he could be KHL bound. He has dynamic offensive tools but has no clue what to do with them. If they develop him into a net front grindy type, he could potentially be ready. But that will all depend on if he's willing to abandon his current style, which is basically maneuver thru the neutral zone with no interest in passing, then try to beat 2 or 3 defenders and turn the puck over.

He should work out with Barbashev and Toropchenko during the off-season, I could see those 3 on a line down the road. Barbie has worked hard to develop his defensive game and still has the skill to find his way onto the score sheet while only getting 4th line minutes. Toropchenko will likely be Kostin's teammate next year in SA.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Who needs first round picks? Another amazing late round find by the Armstrongs - Tyler Tucker

If he was once exclusively a stay-at-home defenseman, he has apparently left the house this season. Tucker has been impressing everybody, including Sportsnet, who listed him as one of the ten biggest CHL surprises earlier this season.
Mathias Laferriere also making some impressions after his impressive season. He's number 9 on the list.

Laferriere is one of the more interesting names in the QMJHL. He's like Blais was in the CHL in that he doesn't appear to have the most superior skills compared to his peers, yet he consistently finds himself on the score sheet. I know people are immediately going to discount his totals because he plays in the Q, a notion I can't get behind, but he was the second highest point scorer on his team while being 18 for the entire year. He's one to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

I could see Kyrou getting the Thomas treatment next year.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Mathias Laferriere also making some impressions after his impressive season. He's number 9 on the list.

Laferriere is one of the more interesting names in the QMJHL. He's like Blais was in the CHL in that he doesn't appear to have the most superior skills compared to his peers, yet he consistently finds himself on the score sheet. I know people are immediately going to discount his totals because he plays in the Q, a notion I can't get behind, but he was the second highest point scorer on his team while being 18 for the entire year. He's one to keep an eye on.

His numbers aren’t particularly impressive even by QMJHL standards.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Meanwhile, Peter Abbandonato, who attended our prospect camp last summer and played for us in Traverse City, is up for MVP honors in the Q, against Lafreniere (1OA candidate for 2020 draft) and Joe Veleno (1st round pick from last year and former exception draft pick). We should be signing this kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad