Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
As a 20-year old he put up 31 points in the AHL, and followed that up with 44 points the next season. Had a cannon of a shot and was big and physical. We had a super weak left side back then, and spent the next several years after he left looking for help from an ever-rotating cast of mediocre vets until we finally traded for J-Bo and got some semblance of stability. We had a very good option in our pocket with Junland and we let him leave after 4 games in a Blues jersey, setting us back several years. He was never going to be a #1 dman at the pro level, but he was a heck of a lot better than some of the other guys we tried out over the years.
JJ CHOSE to bolt.

He reminds me Lemtygoob [sic]. He had an opportunity and crapped on it.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
As a 20-year old he put up 31 points in the AHL, and followed that up with 44 points the next season. Had a cannon of a shot and was big and physical. We had a super weak left side back then, and spent the next several years after he left looking for help from an ever-rotating cast of mediocre vets until we finally traded for J-Bo and got some semblance of stability. We had a very good option in our pocket with Junland and we let him leave after 4 games in a Blues jersey, setting us back several years. He was never going to be a #1 dman at the pro level, but he was a heck of a lot better than some of the other guys we tried out over the years.

If I remember right, the Blues offered him a 1 way contract at whatever minimum was back then like 500k or so but wouldn't guarantee him an NHL. He would have to battle for it. He declined and went over to Europe. I love the couple of games he played.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My recollection is that he was also pretty rough defensively, which is why we were slow to give him significant NHL minutes.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
So it's that time of the year where college players are close to finishing up and are being courted by NHL teams. Are there any players you guys have interest in? Nico Sturm looks interesting as he's been a defensive stalwart and is excellent at faceoffs, so I'd be interested in how he has looked this year, and years past in college. I'm not too sure about other players, but I think we should be exploiting that league more so than we have, kinda like Tampa has done.

Anywho, if you have other players you'd be interested in signing, I'd like to know.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
So it's that time of the year where college players are close to finishing up and are being courted by NHL teams. Are there any players you guys have interest in? Nico Sturm looks interesting as he's been a defensive stalwart and is excellent at faceoffs, so I'd be interested in how he has looked this year, and years past in college. I'm not too sure about other players, but I think we should be exploiting that league more so than we have, kinda like Tampa has done.

Anywho, if you have other players you'd be interested in signing, I'd like to know.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again LD Jimmy Schuldt out of St Cloud University.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

I definatly think we should look into NCAA players. We've traded quite a lot of picks the last couple of years, adding college free agents could compensate for that.
I'm not the biggest expert in college players, but maybe someone like Alex Limoges? Mitchell Chaffee? Maybe Noah Delmas if we want a D.?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Do we need more than a bottom-pairing D on the right side? That is pretty good for a guy who was not drafted, but just signed with us without needing to use a pick or assets in trade.
Yes?

I mean, we should take whatever we can get, but an organization should never aim low on potential simply because there are already talented players at the position. What if someone gets hurt, or leaves, or prices themselves out of town, or gets worse? Would it even be bad to have a top 4 quality guy on the third pairing if none of the above happens? And that's all ignoring what such a piece might bring (or allow you the ability to otherwise obtain) in a trade if there's truly an abundance of quality depth at the position.

Reactions: Blueston

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
His lack of speed concerns me.

yeah, still a free asset with upside

hes also huge and it takes big players longer to get used to their size and fix their skating and awkwardness (chara, wheeler, big buff)

dont see him being an nhler but the potential is there.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
yeah, still a free asset with upside

hes also huge and it takes big players longer to get used to their size and fix their skating and awkwardness (chara, wheeler, big buff)

dont see him being an nhler but the potential is there.
Oh, I completely agree we should look into him. It certainly won't hurt for the price.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Write-ups on Schuldt and Sturm

Jimmy Schuldt, D, St. Cloud State: Schuldt (6-1, 205), a 23-year-old left-hand shot, led all defensemen in the conference with 33 points (10 goals, 23 assists) in 36 games this season. The only repeat Hobey Baker finalist hasn't missed a game in his college career (153 consecutive games played) and is the all-time leader among St. Cloud State defensemen with 116 points (38 goals, 78 assists).

Nico Sturm, F, Clarkson: The 6-3, 211-pound junior center is tied for 10th in the country with 43 points (14 goals, 29 assists) in 36 games, and has won 57.9 percent of his face-offs. A 23-year-old native of Augsburg, Germany, Sturm has been named ECAC Best Defensive Forward the past two seasons.

Reactions: stl76 and ezcreepin

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Write-ups on Schuldt and Sturm

Jimmy Schuldt, D, St. Cloud State: Schuldt (6-1, 205), a 23-year-old left-hand shot, led all defensemen in the conference with 33 points (10 goals, 23 assists) in 36 games this season. The only repeat Hobey Baker finalist hasn't missed a game in his college career (153 consecutive games played) and is the all-time leader among St. Cloud State defensemen with 116 points (38 goals, 78 assists).

Nico Sturm, F, Clarkson: The 6-3, 211-pound junior center is tied for 10th in the country with 43 points (14 goals, 29 assists) in 36 games, and has won 57.9 percent of his face-offs. A 23-year-old native of Augsburg, Germany, Sturm has been named ECAC Best Defensive Forward the past two seasons.
Interesting! I really appreciate the scouting reports. Thank you!

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
NCAA free agent target: Jimmy Schuldt

This is the most recent write up I can find about Schuldt, dating back to March 2018.

Highlights his offence, specifically his ability to get the puck on net from the point. Also speaks to his value of 2 way game and physical play.

Downside is that he's not overly skilled with the puck and will often make chip out plays from the D zone or rim the puck to another player to lead transition out of the zone.

Article specifically states that he's likely a few years of AHL play away from being an impact defender. I still think someone like this would be a good addition to us at little risk and minimal cost (zero assets). Character wise, he was named team captain as a sophomore and has captained the team for 3 years. That's significant, in that most NCAA captains aren't named before their Junior or Senior year.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Junior playoffs starting - here's Joel Hofer schedule with the Winterhawks

Spokane Chiefs (2) vs. Portland Winterhawks (3)
#SPOvsPOR – Series Preview
Game 1 – Friday, March 22 – Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena – Spokane – 7:05 p.m. PT Loss 2-5 Hofer 17 saves, 22 shots
Game 2 – Saturday, March 23 – Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena – Spokane – 7:05 p.m. PT Win 5-3 Hofer 23 saves 26 shots
Game 3 – Tuesday, March 26 – Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland – 7:00 p.m. PT Loss 4-5 (OT) Hofer 38 saves 43 shots
Game 4 – Wednesday, March 27 – Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland – 7:00 p.m. PT Loss 3-4 (OT) Hofer 33 saves 37 shots
Game 5* – Saturday, March 30 – Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena – Spokane – 7:05 p.m. PT
Game 6* – Monday, April 1 – Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland – 7:00 p.m. PT
Game 7* – Wednesday, April 3 – Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena – Spokane – 7:05 p.m. PT
*if necessary

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Junior playoffs - Alexei Toropchenko schedule with Guelph Guelph wins 4-0, 5 G 2 A plus 4

Series D:
Guelph Storm (4) vs. Kitchener Rangers (5)

Game 1, Fri., March 22 at Guelph – 7:30 p.m. Win 4-2 Toropchenko 1 goal, minus 1
Game 2, Sun., March 24 at Guelph – 2:00 p.m. Win 7-0 Toropchenko 1 goal 2 assists plus 2
Game 3, Tues., March 26 at Kitchener – 7:00 p.m. Win 6-3 Toropchenko 1 goal, plus 2
Game 4, Thurs., March 28 at Kitchener – 7:00 p.m. Win 5-1 Toropchenko 2 goals, plus 1
Game 5, Fri., March 29 at Guelph – 7:30 p.m.*
Game 6, Sun., March 31 at Kitchener – 6:00 p.m.*
Game 7, Tues., April 2 at Guelph – 7:00 p.m.*
#GUEvsKIT

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Junior playoffs - Mathias Laferriere schedule with Cape Breton

Cape Breton vs Charlottetown
2019-03-22 Cape Breton 2 Charlottetown 3 Final OT2 Loss 2-3 Laferriere - no points
2019-03-23 Cape Breton 0 Charlottetown Loss 6-4 Laferriere 1 G 1 A -2
2019-03-26 Charlottetown 0 Cape Breton 0 Win 1-0 Laferriere no points plus 1
2019-03-27 Charlottetown 0 Cape Breton 0 Win 6-2, Laferriere 1 G 1 A plus 2
2019-03-29 Cape Breton 0 Charlottetown
2019-03-31 Charlottetown 0 Cape Breton 0
2019-04-02 Cape Breton 0 Charlottetown 0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad