Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If I had to predict, I think Kostin isn't going to get there. He may be able to carve out an NHL career, but I don't think he's going to put it all together. But its kind of dumb to make a prediction one way or the other right now (yet I did it anyway).
I'm about the same.

I think he can carve out an NHL career as a 3rd liner or something. Maybe 2nd line.

But I don't ever see him being all that great.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I'm about the same.

I think he can carve out an NHL career as a 3rd liner or something. Maybe 2nd line.

Yeah, I think his scoring potential is a little overrated, but the physical aspect of his game is underrated. The shot is there, but the rest of the offensive game doesnt look high end. I could easily develop into Tom Wilson, Brian Bickell, Dwight King, Maroon type, maybe scores 15 goals, 25-35 points but fights and runs around and hits people.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I'm going to reserve judgement until we see another full season in the AHL, how he performs in the playoffs if SA makes it in, and how he looks if he gets a call up or two next season. He's still five months away from turning 20 and is essentially a kid growing into a man's body. His passion for the game certainly can't be questioned as seen by his frustration at the Junior tournament and that in itself can carry an athlete a long way.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Kostin is 19 and took absolutely the hardest development route possible given his options. I've viewed him as a project since we drafted him so I guess I don't feel let down that he's not dominating the AHL in his D+2 season. He's a true power forward so I'm comfortable seeing where more development takes him.

It's funny how if he was in juniors like most his age he'd be absolutely destroying it and we'd all be praising him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Kostin is 19 and took absolutely the hardest development route possible given his options. I've viewed him as a project since we drafted him so I guess I don't feel let down that he's not dominating the AHL in his D+2 season. He's a true power forward so I'm comfortable seeing where more development takes him.

It's funny how if he was in juniors like most his age he'd be absolutely destroying it and we'd all be praising him.
Am I wrong to see a lot of Jaskin in him?

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

I certainly wouldn't fault you for drawing that comparison.

Jaskin didn't see the AHL until his 3rd year after the draft at age 20 so he was eased into it much more than Kostin has been. Jaskin, though, put up 38 points in 51 games that first year in the AHL(including playoffs).

It'll be interesting to see if Kostin can do that in the AHL next year...if he's there.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Stylistically yes, but more skilled and a way better shot arsenal.

Kostin has some very good hands in close and has a very good backhander I've seen him accurately release while imbalanced at full extension. That's a frightening amount of strength in his wrists and forearms to do that. When he winds up he has a cannon and his wrist shots are heavy as well.

Evidently he isn't getting in position often enough to capitalize on those shooting skills and I have some concerns about whether or not he'll eventually be able to handle the NHL pace but still a guy with some serious upside.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
So Mitch Reinke is now tied for most points by a rookie defenseman in the AHL, not too shabby! Blues might have something with this kid.

As a Michigan Tech fan, I am obligated to say that Joel L’Esperance, a teammate last year, has 22 goals and 35 points for the Texas Stars as well. Glad to see Huskies adapting to the pro game so well.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
I'm about the same.

Me neither. Lots of hype and little substance. I think he will be lucky to get a 200-game NHL career.

What I really think is that he will get frustrated in North America and go back to Russia where he will enjoy much more success and be able to better place his strong pride and emotion where it belongs.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think it is worth pointing out that Kostin is still only 19 years old. Normally he wouldn't even be playing in the AHL yet. Another thing to note is that he was the last pick of the 1st round, he was always going to take some time. His numbers are not gaudy but he is still finding ways to produce at the AHL level as an under-ager. If were still having this same discussion two years from now I might be getting worried at that point but as of now I am remaining patient.

2rcuvw.jpg

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
If I had to predict, I think Kostin isn't going to get there. He may be able to carve out an NHL career, but I don't think he's going to put it all together. But its kind of dumb to make a prediction one way or the other right now (yet I did it anyway).

Couple of things to note.

1. He lost a full year of development due to injury the year he was drafted. I think he played a total of 5 games.
2. One of the youngest players in his draft class
3. Lost a year of team development in the shoot show that was our minors last year
4. He was likely playing in the AHL a year too early and that may have hurt his offensive development a little.

He is f***ing 19. Holy heck, Barbie wasn’t even in the AHL at 19 and neither was Jaskin or Kyrou, Backes, .......... I can continue and go on. He will not turn 20 until the playoffs this year. Think about that for a second. The difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old in physical/emotional/physicological is huge. Now move that to an 18 year old from a different country....

The only thing he and Jaskin have in common is size. Rest of the game doesn’t compare. How many 19 year olds have dropped gloves in the AHL.

The honest answer is his development is likely on track. WE AS FANS set and impossibly high standard for him. Talking about him a making the team the year he wa drafted and setting up all this hype, it is easy to be disappointed because WE chose to hype him as much as we did. We should never have expected him to be in the NHL last year or this year.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I've never been impressed with Kostin in my viewings of him, I get some shades of Chris Stewart from watching him. He plays passive and prefers to let the puck come to him rather than obtain it himself. I don't really care too much about the points, I'm more interested in seeing what parts of his game will translate to the NHL. Kostin had a fabulous WJC last year based on stats alone, but I was left disappointed after watching him despite putting up 8 points in 5 games.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

1. He lost a full year of development due to injury the year he was drafted. I think he played a total of 5 games.
3. Lost a year of team development in the shoot show that was our minors last year
4. He was likely playing in the AHL a year too early and that may have hurt his offensive development a little.

He is ****ing 19. Holy heck, Barbie wasn’t even in the AHL at 19 and neither was Jaskin or Kyrou, Backes, .......... I can continue and go on. He will not turn 20 until the playoffs this year. Think about that for a second. The difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old in physical/emotional/physicological is huge. Now move that to an 18 year old from a different country....

The only thing he and Jaskin have in common is size. Rest of the game doesn’t compare. How many 19 year olds have dropped gloves in the AHL.

The honest answer is his development is likely on track. WE AS FANS set and impossibly high standard for him. Talking about him a making the team the year he wa drafted and setting up all this hype, it is easy to be disappointed because WE chose to hype him as much as we did. We should never have expected him to be in the NHL last year or this year.
You're quoting me, but I think you're responding to what someone else said.

I didn't say anything about his current development. What I said is based on my opinion after getting to watch him play a few games live and following his AHL career so far. I think he is going to end up being a 'lots of tools, not enough toolbox' guy. I don't see the level of hockey sense I think he needs to truly realize his potential. The current degree of development (early or delayed) is irrelevant to that impression. I don't see him understanding how to use his linemates or having as much awareness of where teammates are on the ice. He has lots of skill and can do a lot of things himself, but that's not going to carry him to what I hope he can be.

I also said its silly to try and forecast this now, but the question was posed so I answered. I could be all wrong. Fortunately, my (and your) opinion mean nothing in terms of what will happen.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So Mitch Reinke is now tied for most points by a rookie defenseman in the AHL, not too shabby! Blues might have something with this kid.

He was the guy I most wanted to see in the prospect camp. He was an undrafted college player, and I never heard of the guy before they signed him. I was also unfamiliar with the college he was attending. Is Michigan Tech a powerhouse?

But we signed him and they immediately put him in the lineup for an NHL game!

Good for him.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Anyone else worried about Kostin? His WJC was just okay (Although I loved the emotion he showed there), but in the AHL he has 13 points in 32 games. I wrote off last year as he was so young playing against grown men and in the awful situation of playing 4th line for a random team, but shouldn't he be producing more by now? Should we wait until next year? Who are his primary linemates? What line is he on, and if it's not the first line, why?

The following are 2 comments I made on a Kostin to Habs thread, where several posters had been saying that Kostin needed a change of scenery or to go back to the KHL - though you're not implying the same thing, I feel some of the same points merit consideration.

"Because at 19 years old, playing in his D+2 season, Kostin is clearly a bust... :sarcasm:

Look at Denis Gurianov's development curve - similar size, skilled Russian prospect with similar numbers post draft. Gurianov played his D+1 season in the KHL, and now in his D+4 season is a PPG player in the AHL at 21.

Transitioning to North America and the different style (and speed) of hockey here in the pros takes time. Especially when your team is in turmoil and near the bottom of the league in the standings. You can't hold a late 1st round pick to the same expectations as a top 10 pick, where the expectation is they're NHL ready or nearly NHL ready at the draft. Any pick after the top 10 are expected to be 2+ years away from NHL ready...

Boeser at #23 in 2015 took 2 years in college, had a near Calder trophy worthy D+3 season. Pastrnak at #25 in 2014 took 2 years before he took off in the NHL in his D+3 season. Barzal at #15 in 2015 took 2 more years in juniors, exploded into the NHL in his D+3 season. Tarasenko at #16 in 2010 played 2.5 more seasons in the KHL and didn't take off until his D+5 season. Draisaitl at #3 in 2014 was sent back to juniors, and performed well in his 2nd season, took off in his D+3 season.

None of these examples caused any panic in their respective drafting clubs. Most people will agree they're all pretty decent players, but they needed to develop to get there... Kostin shouldn't be causing any concerns before the end of his D+3 season next year at the earliest. After his D+4 year (end of 2020 season) concern is waranted if he still isn't NHL ready."

Legend123 said: ↑
True but comparing his numbers to last year, it makes u wonder why the sharp decline in production

To which I responded:
"sharp decline"... The math pans out to 0.026 PPG less this season than it was last season for Kostin. Assuming he plays an identical number of games that works out to 26.321 points in 67 games. Versus 28 points in 67 games...

But let's ignore that, seeing as it's already been beat to death by others.

Instead, let's look at some of this season's top scorers being recalled multiple times - Blais, Nolan and Kyrou have all done duty with the big club, that's 3/10 of the top scorers this season. As have Schmaltz and Butler, who were steady components on the blue line last year.

The leading scorer on the team Kyrou has 23 points in 23 GP. The 2nd leading scorer Reinke has 20 points in 36 GP. The 3rd leading scorer Laleggia has 16 in 34 GP and 4th Wotherspoon has 16 in 35 GP. 3/4 of the top scorers are dmen. 3 players have scored over 5 goals. There isn't an overwhelming amount of offence on the team, in case you're missing my subtle point here... Kostin's team is tied 24th in the league - Not exactly an offensive juggernaut padding stats.

Husso is struggling this year, and they don't have Avs goalie prospect Spencer Martin to take half of the starts...

Add in MASSIVE roster turn over when San Antonio became the Blues affiliate team and lost many players that were shared with other clubs - like Spencer Martin, or 3/4 of the top scorers from last season. And a new coach, new system.

I mean, those things couldn't possibly factor in for a 2 point production loss on the season, could they? The fact that you call Klim's 2 point projected drop off a "sharp decline", when he hasn't even played half the season yet is - A) Ignorant. B) Blown out of proportion. C) Way too early."

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

He is ****ing 19. Holy heck, Barbie wasn’t even in the AHL at 19 and neither was Jaskin or Kyrou, Backes, .......... I can continue and go on. He will not turn 20 until the playoffs this year. Think about that for a second. The difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old in physical/emotional/physicological is huge. Now move that to an 18 year old from a different country....

I didn't expect him to be in the NHL last year or even this year. I did expect him to have more than 5 goals 8 assists in 32 AHL games, and improve a little on the stats he had in a terrible situation last year. Sue me.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I think Kostin needs to be more aggressive defensively if he really wants to dominate without someone else driving the line. He's a triggerman power forward. He'll be useful for zone entries and he can drive the net. If he were to "put it all together" and be a takeaway machine and drive possession, he'll be an elite player. His skating is good, although not elite, and I've seen how he has played outside of the AHL and his game should translate well. I think he suffers from the same issue as Kyrou where he doesn't assert himself enough. If he ever puts that together, I don't know, but the tools are even the IQ seems to be there - he just needs to play like he owns the place (see WJC, Russia, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad