Half-Assed GDT: Blues Islanders

JR1

Dec 22, 2016
Hopefully Bolduc goes back down soon. He’s shown some potential, got his 1st goal, but will better develop on an AHL scoring line. Tucker looks really bad, he should go down too and hopefully rebuild some confidence.
He gets to play with Kevin ‘the slug” Hayes.

Tucker was our best defenseman tonight. He was +2 and wasn’t really noticeable at all.

It’s not saying much because he only played 12 minutes but I’m not sure how we watch that game and come away with thinking he’s the problem. Just keep playing him, Perunovich and Kessel to get them experience and confidence. Are any of them going to be that good? Probably not but who cares right now.

Krug and Faulk played one of the worst defensive games I’ve ever seen tonight. When we have $13 million combined in two traffic cones, Tucker is the least of my concerns.
Tucker is good at icing the puck when he can get to it.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I honestly am starting to be curious what we could get in a deal for Schenn or Faulk. If we could somehow pull a 1st+prospect for either of them I'd definitely something we should look into. Especially with Schenn falling off like he has this season.
Don't look now; but apparently Merek and Freidman were discussing the possibility of Schenn to Nashville.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Tucker was our best defenseman tonight. He was +2 and wasn’t really noticeable at all.

It’s not saying much because he only played 12 minutes but I’m not sure how we watch that game and come away with thinking he’s the problem. Just keep playing him, Perunovich and Kessel to get them experience and confidence. Are any of them going to be that good? Probably not but who cares right now.

Krug and Faulk played one of the worst defensive games I’ve ever seen tonight. When we have $13 million combined in two traffic cones, Tucker is the least of my concerns.
I definitely noticed him turning what had potential to be exits with possession into board battles and panicked rims. It’s not based on this game though he’s been struggling this entire stretch since he went back in the lineup.

Reactions: JR1

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I definitely noticed him turning what had potential to be exits with possession into board battles and panicked rims. It’s not based on this game though he’s been struggling this entire stretch since he went back in the lineup.
I mean he had the best analytics on the team tonight so the numbers back up what I said.

I saw 5 other veteran d-men that struggled 100 times more than he did tonight. Faulk couldn’t even skate.

And this was only Tucker’s 2nd game since the All-Star break so I don’t really know what stretch you’re talking about.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
How in the world does Kevin Hayes get so many breakaways as a center and being quite possibly the slowest player on the ice 99% of the time?
Because he IS the slowest player on the ice.
Look at the breakaway last night.
He falls down and the play is 2 zones away before he gets up.
90 foot stretch pass later and he's on a breakaway.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
How in the world does Kevin Hayes get so many breakaways as a center and being quite possibly the slowest player on the ice 99% of the time?
1709695751725.gif

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I mean he had the best analytics on the team tonight so the numbers back up what I said.

I saw 5 other veteran d-men that struggled 100 times more than he did tonight. Faulk couldn’t even skate.

And this was only Tucker’s 2nd game since the All-Star break so I don’t really know what stretch you’re talking about.
I haven’t been able to watch all the games recently. Definitely caught the other game Tucker was in and thought he was really struggling and saw a lot of the same tonight. Other guys played poorly sure but I was focusing on young players and what’s best for their development. I thought Tucker was better than this last year and what’s really concerning is he’s not even trying to move the puck effectively just panicking.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Please never have anymore games on Hulu again. I wasn’t able to watch until the game was in the 3rd. I couldn’t start the game from the beginning so I had to have my wife rewind for like 10 minutes. I watched the first period and I guess you only have a certain window to watch the game because it just cut off. HORRIBLE format for a sporting event.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
To the game specifically: again, guys worked really hard. IMO, tough to argue we got outworked. Also really tough to argue we had more talent.

A few weeks back, I said we should prepare for the idea we're going to make the playoffs. I don't remember exactly when that was, but we're about .500 since. Obviously, I jinxed us. Maybe I'll jinx us again. With 20 games left, sitting 6 back of Nashville (who we have a game in hand on) and 5 back of Los Angeles (who has 2 games in hand on us), down the first tiebreak to both teams, any margin of error this team had to make the playoffs is gone.

Were we to start a new "playoff push" thread - which, we would [should] do that and not sully the 2019 thread that charted our path to eternal glory - we're probably looking at 93-94 points to get in. But, because of tiebreaks we have to be ahead outright so we're really probably talking 94-95. With 20 games left, that means going 13-6-1. Maybe there's a little more room to work with since Vegas is in near-freefall, and I could look at the last 20 and pitch an argument for 13-6-1, but Seattle is now tied with us on points (but behind on the tiebreak) and on a hot streak (d. Winnipeg tonight, in Winnipeg). That's a lot of things that need to go right to get the 2WC spot.

Do you roll the dice on adding and trying to go 13-6-1 and snag the 2WC spot? IMO, no. Tonight's loss took care of things. Fold the cards and sell off the easy pieces; if the team overachieves into a playoff spot, awesome. Play for the future, don't risk assets hoping you'll squeeze out another home game for playoff revenue in this year's playoffs.

Reactions: Sgt Schultz

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Predictable loss, but at least they made it more entertaining than I expected. We pretty much ran out of gas after the first half of the game. The first line has been quite ordinary for a couple of weeks, and it's tough for us to win when our first line is so ineffective.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
To the game specifically: again, guys worked really hard. IMO, tough to argue we got outworked. Also really tough to argue we had more talent.

A few weeks back, I said we should prepare for the idea we're going to make the playoffs. I don't remember exactly when that was, but we're about .500 since. Obviously, I jinxed us. Maybe I'll jinx us again. With 20 games left, sitting 6 back of Nashville (who we have a game in hand on) and 5 back of Los Angeles (who has 2 games in hand on us), down the first tiebreak to both teams, any margin of error this team had to make the playoffs is gone.

Were we to start a new "playoff push" thread - which, we would [should] do that and not sully the 2019 thread that charted our path to eternal glory - we're probably looking at 93-94 points to get in. But, because of tiebreaks we have to be ahead outright so we're really probably talking 94-95. With 20 games left, that means going 13-6-1. Maybe there's a little more room to work with since Vegas is in near-freefall, and I could look at the last 20 and pitch an argument for 13-6-1, but Seattle is now tied with us on points (but behind on the tiebreak) and on a hot streak (d. Winnipeg tonight, in Winnipeg). That's a lot of things that need to go right to get the 2WC spot.

Do you roll the dice on adding and trying to go 13-6-1 and snag the 2WC spot? IMO, no. Tonight's loss took care of things. Fold the cards and sell off the easy pieces; if the team overachieves into a playoff spot, awesome. Play for the future, don't risk assets hoping you'll squeeze out another home game for playoff revenue in this year's playoffs.
I posted a few days ago that we had not thrown in the towel, but the referee was getting ready to stop the fight. The referee started his watch on February 17th, when we lost at home to Nashville. We are 3-5 since that game.

It doesn't really matter, though. This is not the kind of team that suddenly can get hot and steal a couple of best of sevens from better teams, anyway. While I believe a team can ride a hot goalie to playoff success, they have to at least be competitive everywhere on the ice for that to lead to wins. We go through stretches when we look disinterested our simply over our heads.

When this season started, if you told me that, with 20 games left, we'd be six points out of the second wild card with a .540 point percentage, I would have nodded because it was about what I expected. Truth is, the .540 might be slightly higher than I would have expected.

I second the motion to fold the cards. I don't see the games nearly as much as most of this group does, but from afar our roster looks like it is still stuck between a failed effort to make one last push for a Cup after 2019 and starting over. Other than goaltending and a few players, it is a collection of players. Or so it seems to me. Maybe some identity would eventually come, but I am not seeing it.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I posted a few days ago that we had not thrown in the towel, but the referee was getting ready to stop the fight. The referee started his watch on February 17th, when we lost at home to Nashville. We are 3-5 since that game.

It doesn't really matter, though. This is not the kind of team that suddenly can get hot and steal a couple of best of sevens from better teams, anyway. While I believe a team can ride a hot goalie to playoff success, they have to at least be competitive everywhere on the ice for that to lead to wins. We go through stretches when we look disinterested our simply over our heads.

When this season started, if you told me that, with 20 games left, we'd be six points out of the second wild card with a .540 point percentage, I would have nodded because it was about what I expected. Truth is, the .540 might be slightly higher than I would have expected.

I second the motion to fold the cards. I don't see the games nearly as much as most of this group does, but from afar our roster looks like it is still stuck between a failed effort to make one last push for a Cup after 2019 and starting over. Other than goaltending and a few players, it is a collection of players. Or so it seems to me. Maybe some identity would eventually come, but I am not seeing it.
agreed, this team may beat a pretender in a 7 game series but no way would they ever beat a legitimate contender.

i want a top 10 pick and i want more draft capital and cap space more than a possible 1st round upset vs vancouver before getting kicked in the teeth

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wouldn't read anything into Marek and Friedman talking about Schenn. They just talked about how respected he is around the league and then "threw a dart" at naming Nashville as a potential location based on "storyline." I didn't hear any substance in that conversation.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad