GDT: Blues @ Islanders 1:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Interesting that Butler played virtually 22 min. and Jackman had only 20 and change. I'm surprised that Lindbohm only had 10. After Gunnarsson went out, I'd have guessed that the lower three would have upped their minutes drastically.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So who gets Monday's game now, Marty or Allen? Marty could easily become Hitch's guy. Didn't he say Marty wasn't brought here to be a backup?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
So who gets Monday's game now, Marty or Allen? Marty could easily become Hitch's guy. Didn't he say Marty wasn't brought here to be a backup?

I'd give Allen a chance to redeem himself against a weak Florida team who is on the road, so Marty can be used in the following (tougher) game.

Knowing Hitch, he'll probably go with Brodeur.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This game was a turning point. Backs to the wall, last game of the road trip.

The boys could have packed it in. But Hitchcock, Backes and all the rest fought back.

Mark it - that was a big win that really shows the depth that Armstrong has built.

No question that Brodeur is here for the rest of the season.

Way too premature to make that claim. We can't really send Allen to the AHL because he requires waivers. I think he would certainly be claimed and don't think there is any chance that the organization risks losing him for nothing.

I also don't see Elliott or Allen being traded to make room for Marty. If he is here all year, it almost certainly means we are carrying 3 goalies on the NHL roster. That is possible, but not a decision that will be made after 2 games.

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
Hi guys Devils fan coming in peace.
Just wanted to congratulate Marty and the Blues on a huge come from behind win.
If my Devils don't make it to the playoffs I will be supporting the Blues to Win the cup.
Good luck the rest of the way.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Wow, look what I missed by being at work today. I checked on break and it was 3-0, I was pissed and thought for sure it was another lost. I checked on my last break, did a triple take at the final score. I kept thinking I was looking at the wrong game or something. WOW. Need highlights NOW. Dammit I missed this game?? Oh well it's awesome to finally get some real scoring and some step-up from some other lines!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Way too premature to make that claim. We can't really send Allen to the AHL because he requires waivers. I think he would certainly be claimed and don't think there is any chance that the organization risks losing him for nothing.

I also don't see Elliott or Allen being traded to make room for Marty. If he is here all year, it almost certainly means we are carrying 3 goalies on the NHL roster. That is possible, but not a decision that will be made after 2 games.
I've been advocating for this. It makes zero sense to get rid of Marty when Elliott comes back. He's still serviceable. Probably provides good leadership to the locker room. We could probably see porter being sent down since lindstrom has one again shown he has the ability to be a useful player.

If there isn't interest Marty, Army would be smart to keep him. There's no guarantee Elliott and Allen won't get hurt again

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I've been advocating for this. It makes zero sense to get rid of Marty when Elliott comes back. He's still serviceable. Probably provides good leadership to the locker room. We could probably see porter being sent down since lindstrom has one again shown he has the ability to be a useful player.

If there isn't interest Marty, Army would be smart to keep him. There's no guarantee Elliott and Allen won't get hurt again

Carrying three goalies creates problems, particularly in practice. We seen it when Allen first came up, Halák complained about a couple of issues.

Bob MacKenzie also spoke about the problem of carrying 3 goalies on TSN Drive the other day, going on to say that he fully expects Brodeur to be released if we can't trade him when Elliott comes back.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
But does Brodeur REALLY need to have full practice?

Seems like the Blues are in a pickle. If Elliott and Allen stay healthy, it's no big deal but at soon as someone is hurt. We're up a creek.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Everyone needs practice to stay fresh and sharp. Brodeur also won't want to just stay in the press box, he'll want to go somewhere and play.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He'll want to be staying sharp and that means facing shots, and ultimately there are only 2 nets on the ice.

If we release Brodeur and then need another goalie a month later, I don't think Brodeur would say no to another shot. He knows the situation that he is in, and if he is wanted to get to 700 then he has to take the opportunities are given to him. There are still other options out there for a short term fix as well, like Vokoun.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
He'll want to be staying sharp and that means facing shots, and ultimately there are only 2 nets on the ice.

If we release Brodeur and then need another goalie a month later, I don't think Brodeur would say no to another shot. He knows the situation that he is in, and if he is wanted to get to 700 then he has to take the opportunities are given to him. There are still other options out there for a short term fix as well, like Vokoun.

Apparently that's a bad idea because Vokoun had blood clots last year, that's what I was told when I brought his name up to the guys at Blues Hockey Podcast.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC

IMO people are misinterpreting what Hitch said, I think what he meant was he's not just gonna sit on the bench in case Allen gets hurt but that he will actually start games, not that he'll become a true starting goalie. Like a 1A/1B arrangement until Elliot gets back.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I know it's not the most ideal situation for Marty, but couldn't we just put him on the IR until we actually need him again? I know baseball teams do that to rule 5 draft picks, since they have to be on the roster all year.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Elliott won't be back in two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, two months. He's going to be out for a long time.

EDIT: The above is just my opinion and isn't supported by any reports or facts. Lol.

It would be nice if the Blues just came out and said that. Does it really make a difference either way?

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Elliott won't be back in two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, two months. He's going to be out for a long time.

It would be nice if the Blues just came out and said that. Does it really make a difference either way?

I read that Elliott skated today. If his knee (strain) were so seriously hurt that he'll be out for "a long time" (more than 2 months according to you), why would he be skating already? I got the impression that he'll be back after another week to week and a half from now.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I read that Elliott skated today. If his groin pull (strain) were so terrible that he'll be out for "a long time", why would he be skating? I got the impression that he'll be back after another week to week and a half.
He strained his knee.

Honestly idk what smoke and mirrors management is pulling

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I know it's not the most ideal situation for Marty, but couldn't we just put him on the IR until we actually need him again? I know baseball teams do that to rule 5 draft picks, since they have to be on the roster all year.

What "injury" would they claim Marty had? An ingrown toenail? That would look mighty suspicious if it occurs EXACTLY when Elliott returns to the active roster. Do NHL teams actually do that?

If Brodeur would accept THAT kind of treatment from The Blues, he'd probably accept being waived (to see if another NHL team would pick him up), and if he is not picked up, he'd gladly re-sign with The Blues as soon as Elliott re-injures his knee. So, why bother with the false injury charade?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What "injury" would they claim Marty had? An ingrown toenail? That would look mighty suspicious if it occurs EXACTLY when Elliott returns to the active roster. Do NHL teams actually do that?

If Brodeur would accept THAT kind of treatment from The Blues, he'd probably accept being waived (to see if another NHL team would pick him up), and if he is not picked up, he'd gladly re-sign with The Blues as soon as Elliott re-injures his groin. So, why bother with the false injury charade?

Right, Marty wants to play. He doesn't have any loyalty to the Blues so you can bet that if another team is interested in him then he's going to go that route.

Now, will any teams be interested him? That's the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad