Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
German Shepherds are the best. I lost mine suddenly right after the first of the year (she was 11) and I'm still not over it.

I'll have to politely disagree. German Shepherds are amazing dogs, no lie, but I'll recommend Goldens as the best dog. Not the smartest dogs (German's are very smart dogs.), but definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, the most loyal. I had one (Granger) as a kid. He was basically my very first friend, human or otherwise.

Also, the cat in my avvie is another pet of mine (Phoenix). Phoenix was a true scaredy-cat, despite his massive size for a cat (I guarantee his dad was a Maine Coon), afraid of his own shadow (and most people), but he was so affectionate towards me. Loved that cat.

I miss the absolute hell out of both of them.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'll have to politely disagree. German Shepherds are amazing dogs, no lie, but I'll recommend Goldens as the best dog. Not the smartest dogs (German's are very smart dogs.), but definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, the most loyal. I had one (Granger) as a kid. He was basically my very first friend, human or otherwise.

Also, the cat in my avvie is another pet of mine (Phoenix). Phoenix was a true scaredy-cat, despite his massive size for a cat (I guarantee his dad was a Maine Coon), afraid of his own shadow (and most people), but he was so affectionate towards me. Loved that cat.

I miss the absolute hell out of both of them.
You were polite so I’ll go easy on you. :naughty:

In addition to being fiercely loyal, GSDs are extremely intelligent and love to work. My most recent GSD’s job was assisting and protecting my grandson with Fragile X. The one we had before that saved my daughter’s life by alerting my wife that my daughter was having an asthma attack on the other side of the house that she might not have survived. Sorry, but I’ve yet to meet a Golden that could do either of those things and trust me, I try to meet them all. :laugh:

Reactions: TK 421 and Memento

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
You were polite so I’ll go easy on you. :naughty:

In addition to being fiercely loyal, GSDs are extremely intelligent and love to work. My most recent GSD’s job was assisting and protecting my grandson with Fragile X. The one we had before that saved my daughter’s life by alerting my wife that my daughter was having an asthma attack on the other side of the house that she might not have survived. Sorry, but I’ve yet to meet a Golden that could do either of those things and trust me, I try to meet them all. :laugh:

Fair enough. I'm just speaking as a person who has autism, and befriended the most loyal Golden ever. Of all time. :D

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
One time I lived in a mansion with maids and butlers....

We sold our house in University City and our new house in Ballwin wasn't done on time. No where to live...

So a family friend gave my family a wing of their house. The neighbor was the PD editor.

It was caddy corner to WashU. Southwestern corner, the old swamp at WashU when I went there.

It sucked leaving there. Lol.

Last edited:

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Paris 2004

After smoking too much in a small one bedroom flat, my buddy opens his window. He then steps out the window and says we should follow.

It was the first time I'd ever even heard Ben Harper.

Step out to a view of the Eiffel Tower that was breath taking.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Well that escalated quickly.

I'll get us past it by talking about my German Shepherd puppy. I got him in late April and he's just over 4 months old now. His name is Teddy and he's already roughly the size of a small pony but he thinks he can totally still fit on my lap. I now walk around my house asking him, "Who's daddy's boo berry?" amongst other ridiculous baby talk.

He's a bit mouthy atm and I have holes in my hands and forearms from his mouth full of piranha teeth. My wife keeps saying, "You need to stop him from doing that!" and I make excuses for him like a battered spouse. "I know he bites me but he loves me and gives me kisses!". Its only me that he treats like a chew toy, he's really good with my kids and my wife.

This is my first dog and it makes me feel really happy that I made the decision to make him a part of our family. So thank you Teddy for filling that hole in my heart that I didn't even know I had.

dogs are the absolute best
We have a 3.5 year old Golden Retriever who is 90lbs but is skinny as he is very tall and a 10 year old 65lb beagle mix (who has perfect pitch when he hears a siren and joins in)
the Golden is more interested in chasing balls (a lot!) than wrestling, unless I start wrestling with the other dog and then he gets jealous and butts his big head between us until we include him
they come sprinting out of the house at me when I get home from work
we got the Golden a fitbit for dogs called a Fitbark, and if we don't get him to around a certain number he will be a total pain in the rump the next day
it is kind of like having kids, but they never learn to talk back

if my wife had to save the Golden or me, I know it is not me!

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Teddy the German Shepherd did great with mass explosions over the 4th of July weekend. We don't do fireworks at my house but the surrounding neighborhood sounded like Beirut in the 80's for 4 days straight and he didn't flinch even when the big booms went off close by and he was outside in the yard for a lot of it.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Teddy the German Shepherd did great with mass explosions over the 4th of July weekend. We don't do fireworks at my house but the surrounding neighborhood sounded like Beirut in the 80's for 4 days straight and he didn't flinch even when the big booms went off close by and he was outside in the yard for a lot of it.
Flinched less then I did!

Reactions: TK 421

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
Didn’t know where I could share this, so I think this is the right thread.

For anyone that’s interested, there’s a fantastic book on the duality of skill and luck in relation to sports. It’s perspectives and use of statistics are a great assessment of how hockey is as a sports.

The book is called The Success Equation by Michael Mauboussin.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Everytime someone asked for a lighter in college we all had the same question:

What is the Capital of Thailand?

You then throw the lighter hard....

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
We're driving to Mexico soon. Wish us luck :)

Only time I ever went was on Spring Break in high school for a few hours...

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I don't know if you guys get Amber Alerts, but I feel so bad for these kids.

I understand most are parental battles, but some of the descriptions of the kids....

Like in a princess dress, just kill me :(

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Ok, my Great Uncle's art. Finally. He taught Jim Morrison how to paint along a river in France, was drinking buddies with Kurt Vonnegut:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad