Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
My love of Stanley Kubrick films has led me into the glorious world of classical music. Particularly the works of Ludwig Van Beethoven. I was introduced to his famous 9th Symphony via the Clockwork Orange soundtrack years ago but that intro has only recently blossomed. I feel like a whole new world has opened up for me and I'm ready to start exploring it.

Speaking of Kubrick I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night and was reminded again how fantastic the musical score is.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
My love of Stanley Kubrick films has led me into the glorious world of classical music. Particularly the works of Ludwig Van Beethoven. I was introduced to his famous 9th Symphony via the Clockwork Orange soundtrack years ago but that intro has only recently blossomed. I feel like a whole new world has opened up for me and I'm ready to start exploring it.

Speaking of Kubrick I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night and was reminded again how fantastic the musical score is.

also sprach zarathustra is awesome and fits that part of the movie perfectly!

I have always liked classical music, I actually played the violin when I was a kid, though not very well
probably why I was drawn to ELO, Kansas, Chicago, Marshall Tucker and other groups that mixed other instruments into their music, also part of the reason I enjoy country music as well

My mom would listen to Hooked on Classics all the time (published by K-tel, they had some really awful commercials) and it would just make me grind my teeth as it ruined the music to me

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

There are so many great types of music out there. We do ourselves a disservice by only listening to rock or country or hip hop, not that those can’t be awesome too. Beethoven is obviously great, but in this larger genre I’m partial to Mozart.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
There are so many great types of music out there. We do ourselves a disservice by only listening to rock or country or hip hop, not that those can’t be awesome too. Beethoven is obviously great, but in this larger genre I’m partial to Mozart.

I think we are perhaps more receptive to certain types of music at different times in our lives. For instance I don't think I was ready for classical music until now and the floodgates have opened big which to me signals that I've been ready for a while now. This is exactly why I never find life boring. There's always something right around the corner just waiting to be discovered.

The Electrician

Sponsor
Oct 24, 2014
Missouri
also sprach zarathustra is awesome and fits that part of the movie perfectly!

I have always liked classical music, I actually played the violin when I was a kid, though not very well
probably why I was drawn to ELO, Kansas, Chicago, Marshall Tucker and other groups that mixed other instruments into their music, also part of the reason I enjoy country music as well

My mom would listen to Hooked on Classics all the time (published by K-tel, they had some really awful commercials) and it would just make me grind my teeth as it ruined the music to me

My Mom LOVED Hooked on Classics.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
My fav from Beethoven and from classic tv-series.

This is you guys might heard. Very deep lyrics and it really define what we are, hard life, fight for independence. Hard to listen without tears. Btw is has tried to get our national hymn too. Even without lyrics its tells the story of us.

Maybe where comes my deep patriotism. Proud and humble what we have.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think we are perhaps more receptive to certain types of music at different times in our lives. For instance I don't think I was ready for classical music until now and the floodgates have opened big which to me signals that I've been ready for a while now. This is exactly why I never find life boring. There's always something right around the corner just waiting to be discovered.
I think all it takes is being subjected to the environment or situation predominant of the genre or being at a point of human/musical development that aligns with the writer/performers.

Really, we simply need to be able to understand the music at a level similar to the artist to be able to appreciate it, if it is agreeable to us.

For example, I never liked country until I lived in the country. I could understand it and feel it in different ways with that experience.

I could never stand pop music, so pop country variants never appealed. If all country was pop country, I probably wouldn’t have accepted it. Thus my point about it needing to be agreeable.

Reactions: TK 421

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

There is no more triumphant piece of music than the last movement of Beethoven’s 5th symphony, in my opinion. I’ve even listened to it while working out at times. I don’t care if it’s a junior high symphony, I’m still enthralled by a live performance.

The last 5 years, I’ve been dabbling with learning some Beethoven sonatas on piano. I’m not great, but with enough practice I can okay a handful of them including the first 2 movements of Moonlight Sonata.

The other thing I love about Beethoven is that he was a musical genius...but his best works were things that he worked on and improved iteratively over long periods of time. His genius was primarily a product of tenacity and hard work. People assume a musical genius is like the scene from Amadeus where Mozart just sits down and composes a piece. I think this principle is probably true for most great artists: hard work and perseverance are the majority of where inspiration comes from.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am a fan of baroque, myself. J.S. Bach in particular.
10_15_15_4f7dfa852a1611d99e63a9d674a78c60.jpg

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

This sequence is all perfect. Score, the shots of the craft and space. All of it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If that's true, then why are you always so pissy about everything? :sarcasm: :bb:
When I see something bad oe what should get better I will speak it out. I dont keep it in me. :naughty:

I dont know how to say it doesnt sound too grinchy, but I'm totally opposite IRL. Maybe in future I could come in St Louis and watch my first NHL games live at Enterprice Center, go lurk town and all you Ranksu haters we can get beat up I mean meet up.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
When I see something bad oe what should get better I will speak it out. I dont keep it in me. :naughty:

I dont know how to say it doesnt sound too grinchy, but I'm totally opposite IRL. Maybe in future I could come in St Louis and watch my first NHL games live at Enterprice Center, go lurk town and all you Ranksu haters we can get beat up I mean meet up.
I'd 100% come out and hang out with you for a bit when you come over to STL.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015

hahahaha ... :lol: ......:clap:

Reactions: Ranksu

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I made egg nog in December that supposed to keep for months (it's pretty much half liquor). Should I drink it today? Should I drink beer instead?

Inquiring minds want to know

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
My teenage daughters say this:

Sis - for a girl friend
Sus - short for suspect; if something seems odd
JK - just joking
Period - bam!; to agree with something

That is the extent of my Millennial vernacular...

Funny that a 3070 is a video card bc I work at Intel :)

Reactions: SchwartzBluesFirst

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
My teenage daughters say this:

Sis - for a girl friend
Sus - short for suspect; if something seems odd
JK - just joking
Period - bam!; to agree with something

That is the extent of my Millennial vernacular...

Funny that a 3070 is a video card bc I work at Intel :)

Damn I am old..... I know JK, but that is about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad