Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I just hope the Cardinals add something else, I'm not sure Goldschmidt tips the scale in our favor by himself. If we don't add much else, I don't get dumping cost controlled guys.

I mean, our lineup is still just Carp, Goldy, a 36 year old Yadi and 5 wild cards. I feel like that has been the recipe the last couple of years and it hasn't worked great.

Reactions: Bluenatic

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I just hope the Cardinals add something else, I'm not sure Goldschmidt tips the scale in our favor by himself. If we don't add much else, I don't get dumping cost controlled guys.

I mean, our lineup is still just Carp, Goldy, a 36 year old Yadi and 5 wild cards. I feel like that has been the recipe the last couple of years and it hasn't worked great.

Agree that they need to do more, but one of those cost-controlled guys (Kelly) is behind Molina, and a potentially better prospect is right behind Kelly - the Cardinals lost nothing there. The main risk is if Molina suffers a long-term injury.

As for Weaver - it could sting a bit if he bounces back to where he was 2 years ago, but again, he’s a redundant piece with more cost-controlled guys ahead of him.

Hanging on to cost-controlled guys who either won’t be playing for your team or who is a redundant piece because you have 3-4 other cost-controlled guys just like him doesn’t do your team any favors either.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
Goldschmidt, XFL team, Blues lose for Hughes and Fortnite season 7 dropped. Been a good 24 hours.
1PdVf3m.gif

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hey everyone, I apologize if this doesn't fit here, but figured it wasn't worthy of it's own thread. I work for the Jr. Blues and wanted to share our latest video work ahead of our series against division rival Peoria this weekend. Tier III junior hockey but still some good action on the ice at Affton.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Hey everyone, I apologize if this doesn't fit here, but figured it wasn't worthy of it's own thread. I work for the Jr. Blues and wanted to share our latest video work ahead of our series against division rival Peoria this weekend. Tier III junior hockey but still some good action on the ice at Affton.

Very cool! I've had a few kids from the Jr. Blues in my class and they always have nothing but positive experiences to share. All were great kids, too. Seems like a world class program.

Reactions: mk80

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Goldschmidt is better than you think.

Ever see Apocalypse Now? Going up river they came upon a burning wreckage. It was night. Erie as they crept along.

Same sheet happened to me one night. I went out for a smoke, 3rd deck of USS Roosevelt at about 3am. It was just after 9/11 in the Persian Gulf. We were creeping along. Ocean was still. It was too quiet. Yards away were oil platforms burning away. We stayed up wind and witnessed a natural disaster caused by man. The flames...

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Question for any curlers.

If you get up by a couple points, why not just keep knocking the opponents’ stone out with your shot each time from then on? You give up 1 at worst, and get hammer back. You could keep trading 1 point or empty ends and defend your lead the rest of the match.

I assume there is some rule about the guards I’m unaware of.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Question for any curlers.

If you get up by a couple points, why not just keep knocking the opponents’ stone out with your shot each time from then on? You give up 1 at worst, and get hammer back. You could keep trading 1 point or empty ends and defend your lead the rest of the match.

I assume there is some rule about the guards I’m unaware of.
You are right that the ahead team would like to minimize the number of rocks in play so that they can play a takeout game and give up 1 in ends without the hammer.

But,

The first 4 rocks cannot be removed from play if they aren't in the house, until the 6th shot of the end. This is called the free guard zone rule. For the first 5 shots. if your shot hits a guard and removes it from play, the rock is collected and placed back in its original spot, and your rock is taken out of play. So the team that is losing will try to put up guards (more conventional to go for corner guards if you have hammer than center guards), which cannot be taken out right away. They will then use the guards to hide behind, and if you make your shots it becomes harder for the other team to both get rid of the guards and your rocks hiding behind them in the house. This rule was added somewhat recently because at top level curling the game were going exactly as you described because they never missed hits so the team that got an early lead would just hit every rock out and that was boring.

Edited to explain the rule better

Last edited:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'm part of an EASHL league that's looking to expand. It's a 3's league and we're approaching the end of the current season. With the league expanding, there's a lot of open spots.

If anyone has interest PM me and I'll give further details, but anyone who wants to join is more than welcome!

And also, it's for both platforms.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There's a fantastic piece by JR about a young woman who received a bone marrow transplant from a man who signed up after attending the Blues' cancer awareness night where the registry was promoted. He was her only match out of 30 million. She's going to attend her first hockey game, and meet the donor, in the near future at a Blues game. Don't read it if you don't have any tissues. Anyway, Jaden Schwartz has a new fan.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
That seems like an odd quote from him about extreme stress from working with the organization - perhaps it’s just pressure from helping the org come back from the crash, but it seems like it could be something else.
I imagine the emotional wreckage from the crash took a toll. I wonder how Tom Rowe handled the pressure after taking over the Lokomotiv Yarsolavl after the plane crash in 2011. He lasted only one season as head coach.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I guess Bergy's career is over. Bergy isn't talking about the events leading up it, and I have to assume by his silence that there are things involved that he isn't proud of. Let him have his privacy.

He always seemed like a good guy, too nice for the NHL. He might have been a happier man playing in Europe. Money isn't everything.

Reactions: Memento

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Black Mirror - Bandersnatch is pretty cool, if you want a fairly immersive interactive dark scifi movie experience with some 80s nostalgia. We watched it a couple nights ago, then my son spent 3 hours watching it yesterday to choose different paths.

Reactions: BrokenFace

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Black Mirror - Bandersnatch is pretty cool, if you want a fairly immersive interactive dark scifi movie experience with some 80s nostalgia. We watched it a couple nights ago, then my son spent 3 hours watching it yesterday to choose different paths.

Do you have to be familiar with Black Mirror at all to watch? Will having watched the show add anything? From what I have heard, the show is an anthology with different stories every episode. I assume no familiarization is necessary. I still haven't watched Bandersnatch yet to be safe.

Black Mirror is definitely on my to watch list but I haven't gotten around to it. Today there is so much good media that is so easily available, its hard to find the time for even a fraction of it. Between DVRing 15-20 shows a week, watching every Blues game and a smattering of other hockey and sports, everything else netflix, hulu and Amazon have, a back catalog of 4,000 hours of video games in my collection (according to howlongtobeat), 25+ books on my kindle wish-list, posting on the forum, hanging out with friends and oh yea, work, I don't know when I'll get to it. I am really curious to try the interactive format of Bandersnatch though.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Do you have to be familiar with Black Mirror at all to watch? Will having watched the show add anything? From what I have heard, the show is an anthology with different stories every episode. I assume no familiarization is necessary. I still haven't watched Bandersnatch yet to be safe.

Black Mirror is definitely on my to watch list but I haven't gotten around to it. Today there is so much good media that is so easily available, its hard to find the time for even a fraction of it. Between DVRing 15-20 shows a week, watching every Blues game and a smattering of other hockey and sports, everything else netflix, hulu and Amazon have, a back catalog of 4,000 hours of video games in my collection (according to howlongtobeat), 25+ books on my kindle wish-list, posting on the forum, hanging out with friends and oh yea, work, I don't know when I'll get to it. I am really curious to try the interactive format of Bandersnatch though.
All the Black Mirror stuff is stand-alone. Prior seasons are short stories, about an hour episodes. This time its just one longer story. I think its about 90 minutes to watch it once, but you may want to go back and try different paths.

By the way, Black Mirror stuff is very high quality. Excellent provocative writing, great acting. Its a far cry from network TV. Watch Bandersnatch, but you can watch episodes in any order you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad