Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Personally I’m really enjoying Red Dead 2. I’ll put the disclaimer in now that RDR is probably my favorite game ever and I could certainly see some of the charm of RDR2 being lost if you never played the first. So take that for what it’s worth. That being said, I think RDR2 is incredible. A lot of people complain about the pace of it. The first hour or so is an extended tutorial that limits you to one part of the map, fair enough. But after that it’s all been paced out like a regular Rockstar game, which is to say it moves along at a pace slower than most but you can still knock out a lot of missions early on and get your feet under you. This is a game where the whole world doesn’t revolve around you, you are simply a part of it and I think that’s pretty awesome.

Everything you’ll read or hear about RDR2 will talk about their attention to detail and there’s a reason for that. Ride through some high grass and Arthur (you) will bristle or cover his face. If you skin an animal and carry it you’ll have blood on your shoulder. It’s remarkable. There are some things people have found tedious (you have to clean your weapons or their effectiveness will decrease; if your horse is dirty or injured you have to feed and clean it) But for me things like this just add another layer to the game and is something I am always mindful of. None of these little things have ever caused me to waste any time or completely sidetracked my game.

Obviously there’s flaws. If you get a bounty on you in a big city it’s nigh impossible to do anything until you pay it (even doing that is a challenge sometimes.) It still has that Rockstar clunkiness moving around, and the control layout isn’t intuitive really at all, there’s quite a learning curve. It definitely still has its quirks.

The depth and breadth of this game are unlike anything I’ve played though. There’s over 70 fish to catch, numerous animals to hunt, poker, horse racing, bounties, treasures to find, trains to rob, people to save, people to shoot, and this is all aside from the 60 (or so) hour story. The story is well written, the voice acting and motion capture are second to none, and it’s soundtrack make you feel like you’re in the middle of a Spaghetti Western. This game may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy single player experiences, you owe it to yourself to at least give this game a chance. This turned into a much longer post than I expected, but just wanted to offer my opinion.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I love RDR2. My only big complaint is the bounty system. I wish it was more like GTA's system. In GTA if you commit crimes various branches of law enforcement chase after you until you either get away, get killed, or get arrested. If you're killed or arrested they take some of your weapons, some money, and then you're back on the street. In RDR2 bounty hunters will keep coming after you until you pay off the bounty, and if you protect yourself from those bounty hunters it just increases your bounty which makes it even more difficult to pay off. It discourages you from committing any crimes, and to me that defeats the purpose of a game about being an outlaw. Over time you do learn tricks to avoid getting bounties, and you'll make enough money to start paying them off, but early on it's extremely frustrating because the bounty is statewide, not citywide, so there's a huge swath of land that you basically can't access so you have to find money elsewhere.

Other than that I really enjoy it. I'm about 30% of the way through the story and it's pretty great. Lots to like, but a few really annoying or occasionally game-altering flaws. I don't see how it's getting a ton of 10/10 reviews, but a 8.5/10 or 9/10 is understandable. The little flaws really add up though.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Personally I’m really enjoying Red Dead 2. I’ll put the disclaimer in now that RDR is probably my favorite game ever and I could certainly see some of the charm of RDR2 being lost if you never played the first. So take that for what it’s worth. That being said, I think RDR2 is incredible. A lot of people complain about the pace of it. The first hour or so is an extended tutorial that limits you to one part of the map, fair enough. But after that it’s all been paced out like a regular Rockstar game, which is to say it moves along at a pace slower than most but you can still knock out a lot of missions early on and get your feet under you. This is a game where the whole world doesn’t revolve around you, you are simply a part of it and I think that’s pretty awesome.

Everything you’ll read or hear about RDR2 will talk about their attention to detail and there’s a reason for that. Ride through some high grass and Arthur (you) will bristle or cover his face. If you skin an animal and carry it you’ll have blood on your shoulder. It’s remarkable. There are some things people have found tedious (you have to clean your weapons or their effectiveness will decrease; if your horse is dirty or injured you have to feed and clean it) But for me things like this just add another layer to the game and is something I am always mindful of. None of these little things have ever caused me to waste any time or completely sidetracked my game.

Obviously there’s flaws. If you get a bounty on you in a big city it’s nigh impossible to do anything until you pay it (even doing that is a challenge sometimes.) It still has that Rockstar clunkiness moving around, and the control layout isn’t intuitive really at all, there’s quite a learning curve. It definitely still has its quirks.

The depth and breadth of this game are unlike anything I’ve played though. There’s over 70 fish to catch, numerous animals to hunt, poker, horse racing, bounties, treasures to find, trains to rob, people to save, people to shoot, and this is all aside from the 60 (or so) hour story. The story is well written, the voice acting and motion capture are second to none, and it’s soundtrack make you feel like you’re in the middle of a Spaghetti Western. This game may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy single player experiences, you owe it to yourself to at least give this game a chance. This turned into a much longer post than I expected, but just wanted to offer my opinion.

All that stuff you listed. That doesn't matter much to me if the core gameplay sucks. I'll gladly trade Arthur reacting to tall grass if it meant he controlled well when walking through that grass. I'd gladly trade all those fish, and fishing itself, for good combat. If I want to play a fishing game, I'll buy a fishing game. As I never want to buy a fishing game, or play a fishing mini-game, I don't care how many fish there are. If I want to go into a store and pick-up every item, I can go to an actual store. Give me a streamlined menu and let me quickly buy what I need to get back to robbing trains and getting in shoot-outs. I want to be a cowboy outlaw; moreover, I want to be a romanticized version of a cowboy outlaw without all the drudgery real outlaws faced.

I'll give it a try as I bought it, but write-ups like the above turn me off more than get me excited. All that stuff is just lipstick on the pig. It doesn't matter to me how well the lipstick is applied if the core mechanics, shooting and traversal, are lackluster. That's just me and my taste though. The bajillion people who buy Rockstar games disagree.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
All that stuff you listed. That doesn't matter much to me if the core gameplay sucks. I'll gladly trade Arthur reacting to tall grass if it meant he controlled well when walking through that grass. I'd gladly trade all those fish, and fishing itself, for good combat. If I want to play a fishing game, I'll buy a fishing game. As I never want to buy a fishing game, or play a fishing mini-game, I don't care how many fish there are. If I want to go into a store and pick-up every item, I can go to an actual store. Give me a streamlined menu and let me quickly buy what I need to get back to robbing trains and getting in shoot-outs. I want to be a cowboy outlaw; moreover, I want to be a romanticized version of a cowboy outlaw without all the drudgery real outlaws faced.

I'll give it a try as I bought it, but write-ups like the above turn me off more than get me excited. All that stuff is just lipstick on the pig. It doesn't matter to me how well the lipstick is applied if the core mechanics, shooting and traversal, are lackluster. That's just me and my taste though. The bajillion people who buy Rockstar games disagree.
I just listed those things as examples of all the other things going on in the world. I don’t think they skimped on core things to make sure horse testicles shrink in cold weather. The core gameplay (especially horse riding) is all very good IMO. It has that very distinct Rockstar feel to it all, which sounds like may ruin the game for you. And that’s fair, I wasn’t a huge fan of GTA V at all, but I enjoy this game much more. I would say if you don’t like Rockstar games in general you almost definitely will not like RDR2. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i encourage everyone to watch jim sterling's latest video about RDR2. pretty much hits it out of the park. its a SICK obsession to details in the game that severely hampers the fun of it. there is nothing "fun" about so much garbage in the game that they tried so hard to be "realistic". when your game becomes a actual CHORE to play, you done messed up.

its not a bad game by any stretch, but its not a 9.7 that i can tell you. those sorts of games are reserved for actual FUN games throughout the entire game, like Uncharted 2.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Pred's Fan that had a Blues related link to share but wasn't quite sure where to put it...

Seems that Blues legend Brett Hull has recently bought a house in suburban Nashville. I thought that he was actively working for the Blues or is his role more ceremonial? I guess now he's just another of the 100 people a day moving here and clogging up my commute... and makes alumni games more interesting?

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/11/08/hockey-icon-titans-player-buy-homes.html

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Pred's Fan that had a Blues related link to share but wasn't quite sure where to put it...

Seems that Blues legend Brett Hull has recently bought a house in suburban Nashville. I thought that he was actively working for the Blues or is his role more ceremonial? I guess now he's just another of the 100 people a day moving here and clogging up my commute... and makes alumni games more interesting?

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/11/08/hockey-icon-titans-player-buy-homes.html
We'd be a lot more interested if you had any reports of Jay Bouwmeester buying a house in Nashville.

Dec 15, 2002
Fair warning: I'm thinking about a username change. It will be as weird for all of you as it will for me, because I've been IB for a long time in a handful of places. But I'm thinking that it's time for something different; I just haven't figured out what that's going to be yet.

[No, this will not be the first time I've changed usernames here. I had a very short stint under another name here, then quickly changed it back. Ultra bonus points to anyone who can recall what that username was and does not have access to the user moderation system to look back - presuming that information is still recorded and hasn't been archived off.]

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

As you called it...just one of the 100 per day...and the new 5000 on the way from Amazon. Are they going to add 4 lanes to 440?

Reactions: SavageSteve

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
As you called it...just one of the 100 per day...and the new 5000 on the way from Amazon. Are they going to add 4 lanes to 440?
They need to have reversible lanes on all of the interstates here like I-70 does... TDOT is set to start rebuilding 440 in the next month or so, so if anyone is traversing the mid-south please be aware of a potential traffic nightmare in traffic purgatory.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
SUPER SEDUCER is my 2018 Game of the Year.

Battlefield 5 and Fallout 76 tie to get my Trash games of the year 2018

congrats to all the winners!

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Donaldson signed a 1 year, $23 million(!) deal with the Braves. Scratch one name off the list for the Cards.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
For those of you who game, stay away from Fallout 76. That shit is a scam at any price-point.

It's a shame that AAA developers are releasing half-baked games. It feel like the entire industry is trying to ring every single cent out of the consumer. Micro transactions in $60 games. Games being released with the bare minimum, with the next five $20 expansions planned. Loot box systems are finally being called what they should be called, gambling. Finally, some governments are stepping in to the benefit of society. A lot of kids are growing up with gambling addictions directly because of the gaming industry, these last 5+ years. Enjoy what you want to enjoy, but i recommend parents stay informed about what their kid is playing. Games where multiplayer is involved, tend to be the shadiest when it comes to manipulation.

Reactions: RoarBacon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad