Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am reading the book Andersonville, the civil war prison.

The author goes into the life of some of the inmates. One of the bad guys is an Irish thug from New York City name Willie Collins.

Collins murdered his first man at age ten or twelve with what was called a "hockey." A hockey was a dead rat, with entrails removed and replaced with lead shot. The rat was swung around by a piece of rawhide tied around the rat's neck.

I have no idea if all this is true, but I found the "hockey" reference to be interesting.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
*when a woman beater is posting pictures of your children on Facebook*

200w.webp

I'm getting shitty tonight.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Don't look now, but the Chargers aren't working out in LA....and the STL lawsuit against the NFL/Whammies is proceeding...maybe there is a way to get two birds stoned at once?

Just no please... There is no one that will pay for the stadium for one, two I would rather see soccer come here since they want to be here.. the NFL does not.. now I agree that the NFL may try and save face I think if they get to court and certain people get put under oath its all over for the NFL and Stan.. Also if the ownership is not local there is a good chance we lose them too..

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
f*** the NFL. It's a dying sport that rakes in billions while f***ing over their players and fans at any chance.

I don't really care about soccer, but an MLS team would be cool. It'd be good for the city and I know we have a large group of people around town who are huge into soccer as all those games at Busch Stadium sold out in like minutes I think. Let's get it done. Again, f*** the NFL.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Haha, yeah it just came across my Twitter feed, more likely they end up back in SD or Texas, but I think it's reasonable to expect the Chargers to be somewhere besides LA in 5 years.

But yeah, I think buying into the NFL at this moment, we would be buying high when the leagues path forward is a little foggy. The MLS comes with it's own issues, but at least that project comes with minimal government support.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Haha, yeah it just came across my Twitter feed, more likely they end up back in SD or Texas, but I think it's reasonable to expect the Chargers to be somewhere besides LA in 5 years.

But yeah, I think buying into the NFL at this moment, we would be buying high when the leagues path forward is a little foggy. The MLS comes with it's own issues, but at least that project comes with minimal government support.
Like that wasn’t a transparently stupid idea to love 2 teams to LA simultaneously. I used to watch games every week my whole life. I haven’t watched one in about 3 years now. I was surprised to find that I didn’t miss it at all.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I made big transition from watching predominantly NFL to almost entirely College Football. I recognize the NCAA is another deeply corrupt entity but it’s just a better product and way more enjoyable to watch than the slog the NFL has become. I too was surprised by how easily I phased the NFL out of my life.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah I used to watch Rams games pretty much every week, but I haven't sat down and watched a full game since they left I don't think. Not even the Superbowl really. I was never a huge football fan so phasing out the NFL was pretty easy once the Rams left. It's a shame the league is such a tire fire because endgame football is about as good as any entertainment option around. So much strategy and precision goes into those last couple of minutes and it really is a sight to behold when a QB drives his team down the field and wins it in the dying seconds. Few things in sports can measure up to that. Too bad the league has consistently f***ed everything up for the past two decades.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah I used to watch Rams games pretty much every week, but I haven't sat down and watched a full game since they left I don't think. Not even the Superbowl really. I was never a huge football fan so phasing out the NFL was pretty easy once the Rams left. It's a shame the league is such a tire fire because endgame football is about as good as any entertainment option around. So much strategy and precision goes into those last couple of minutes and it really is a sight to behold when a QB drives his team down the field and wins it in the dying seconds. Few things in sports can measure up to that. Too bad the league has consistently ****ed everything up for the past two decades.

Not anymore now that they've destroyed the ability for defenders to defend.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

My money is on the Chargers moving to Austin, TX. STL would be stupid to toss away the lawsuit to get the Chargers. NFL needs to be exposed. An overrated league inflated to popularity because of sports betting.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
My money is on the Chargers moving to Austin, TX. STL would be stupid to toss away the lawsuit to get the Chargers. NFL needs to be exposed. An overrated league inflated to popularity because of sports betting.
Texas is tricky because Jerry Jones will fight tooth and nail to keep them out, as much sense as it makes to put another team in that state.

I just want the NFL to pay off a significant chunk of the Dome's debt, maybe get the practice facility back from Kroenke. They announced rennovations/expansion to the America's Center, so my guess that is going to be funded from whatever we get from this.

Reactions: Chief Steele

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Sometimes I need OT to vent:

I tried to high five a one armed man carrying a box at work today.

Grrrrr.

I felt like an idiot.

He was great about it though. He's from the Philippines. He's been teaching me their language, Tagalog, and I was happy to greet him in the morning with his language. But I got carried away.

Note to self:
Don't high five one armed men carrying boxes.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
sorry to hear that it was such a burden on the moderators to deal with the unmoderated HF politics board. Really liked reading those threads.
It was unmoderated in the sense that nobody was assigned there and the rules were generally much less lax, but there were still some behavior guidelines that needed to be enforced. Some of our biggest problems with individual users revolved around that forum.

All I can say is that there's a lot that happens behind the scenes that goes into a decision like this. It's a shame that there will be many who will be disappointed by the move, but it wasn't made lightly.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
It was unmoderated in the sense that nobody was assigned there and the rules were generally much less lax, but there were still some behavior guidelines that needed to be enforced. Some of our biggest problems with individual users revolved around that forum.

All I can say is that there's a lot that happens behind the scenes that goes into a decision like this. It's a shame that there will be many who will be disappointed by the move, but it wasn't made lightly.

I mean...have fun with Sandy Hook deniers and the like though.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Well ok then. I wonder if they considered assigning mods from the countless number of actively contributing mods in that forum. oh well.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
All I can say is that being a moderator is a huge time commitment and one that doesn’t pay. These are volunteers that deal with people that can be downright vile at times. If stretching them thin to cover a page two forum is cause for removing that section, I can certainly sympathize.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Is OT ready?

Cool stuff seen:

Lava shooting into the air from Mt Etna at night.

Los Angeles class submarine surfacing between my ship, USS Roosevelt, and a bunch of Iranian gun boats while entering the Persian Gulf just after 9/11.

The view from the top of the old World Trade Center.

The pipeline of the North Shore.

The top of the Eiffel Tower.

Tokyo at night.

A full rainbow. Meaning a full circle rainbow, not just a piece of the arc. I was 7 stories up, at sea, with a rain storm ahead. No one was with me, but I saw it.

A Space-X rocket failure. I thought North Korea was nuking us a few months ago. Lol. Didn't panic or anything, but pulled over to watch it.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Never really went to the Political board. My view is if it's virtually impossible for two disagreeing sides to find common ground on something as simple as hockey on the internet, then a political message board is just going to be a cesspool.

Reactions: PiggySmalls
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->