Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
You'll get no argument from me. Thanks EA for Battlefront and Battlefront II. Where the hell did 1313 go? Stupid Disney giving EA exclusive rights.
ya they canceled that and amy hennig's star wars game because they would have been single player games and ea cant sell loot boxes on those. ea loves them some loot boxes.

i love how they have ran mass effect into the crapper too since me2 hit. that franchise had major appeal and now its a joke.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Nerd question might be better suited for the anime board but what's going on with tokyo ghoul and the hell is tokyo ghoul re

they are working season 3 now.. Ghoul Re is basically the second season not a spin off. they do really weird things like that instead of just calling it what it is. side note its a very good series, along with One piece, and food wars is fun to watch too.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
ya they canceled that and amy hennig's star wars game because they would have been single player games and ea cant sell loot boxes on those. ea loves them some loot boxes.

i love how they have ran mass effect into the crapper too since me2 hit. that franchise had major appeal and now its a joke.
Other then the glitches...I'm not sure what people disliked so much about ME: Andromeda. Oddly enough, I didnt experience the glitches and I bought it day 1. The terraforming machine missions were repetitive, but wasn't that bad. There was some potential in the story they made.

What was wrong with ME: 3 in your opinion? That was probably my favorite one

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Other then the glitches...I'm not sure what people disliked so much about ME: Andromeda. Oddly enough, I didnt experience the glitches and I bought it day 1. The terraforming machine missions were repetitive, but wasn't that bad. There was some potential in the story they made.

I think from a players prospective with ME3 it was the ending that upset most.. I know a logged countless hours on ME1 and ME2 only to have to kill off Shep... um no and the ending could have been done so much better had they not rushed it. ME in it self was a special game if I am not mistaken it was the first that what you did in the pervious one carried over to the next, they could have done a few more and morphed it into a open world online game and still been raking in the money.. instead they did Andromeda

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I was pretty miffed that they canceled the Visceral (who hired Hennig) Star Wars game. To make it worse, they shut Visceral down. The Dead Space games they made were awesome. Sure, DS3 was crap, but the funny thing is, that was due to EAs interference to make it more action-packed and move away from the survival horror aspects that made the first one so great.

They aren't going to try loot boxes again with whatever Star Wars comes out of that mess though. They learned their lesson. The industry as a whole is shying away from loot boxes due to consumer push-back. They are going to try to find some sustainable games-as-service model. What that ends up looking like is still an open question. Since it is EA, it will probably be predatory in some way and not at all responsive to what gamers like about the big-name games as service titles.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I was pretty miffed that they canceled the Visceral (who hired Hennig) Star Wars game. To make it worse, they shut Visceral down. The Dead Space games they made were awesome. Sure, DS3 was crap, but the funny thing is, that was due to EAs interference to make it more action-packed and move away from the survival horror aspects that made the first one so great.

They aren't going to try loot boxes again with whatever Star Wars comes out of that mess though. They learned their lesson. The industry as a whole is shying away from loot boxes due to consumer push-back. They are going to try to find some sustainable games-as-service model. What that ends up looking like is still an open question. Since it is EA, it will probably be predatory in some way and not at all responsive to what gamers like about the big-name games as service titles.

They will eventually get to subscription services, something they are already starting to do.

As for loot boxes, EA will definitely keep doing it, as long as the sports titles keep bringing in insane amounts of money for them. Plenty of other titles will have them as well, there just be a slight cooling off period and they might be a little more selective on which titles to put them in. They have been in sports games for years, ever since Ultimate Team started.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think from a players prospective with ME3 it was the ending that upset most.. I know a logged countless hours on ME1 and ME2 only to have to kill off Shep... um no and the ending could have been done so much better had they not rushed it. ME in it self was a special game if I am not mistaken it was the first that what you did in the pervious one carried over to the next, they could have done a few more and morphed it into a open world online game and still been raking in the money.. instead they did Andromeda
There was 4 different endings though...I think. Sheppard can live on as the hive mind of the reaper's, sacrifice himself and form the unity of synthetic life and organic life, so nothing and let organic life die...or turn around and shoot the citadel avatar and piss it off and continue the cycle.

Andromeda was rough at first but really play on the mystery of what happened and who created the genesis machines....etc etc. I grew to like it

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
There was 4 different endings though...I think. Sheppard can live on as the hive mind of the reaper's, sacrifice himself and form the unity of synthetic life and organic life, so nothing and let organic life die...or turn around and shoot the citadel avatar and piss it off and continue the cycle.

Andromeda was rough at first but really play on the mystery of what happened who created the genesis machines....etc etc.

I do need to give it a chance but as I stated earlier I am awaiting the Division 2 to come out and it will eat up all my free time....

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I do need to give it a chance but as I stated earlier I am awaiting the Division 2 to come out and it will eat up all my free time....
I'm sure it's free though EA Access. I'm just a huge ME fan, so I may just be cutting them too much slack. I searched every inch of every system in that game. I remember falling asleep mining planets lol. There were just so many small clues planted around the galaxy. I think it was ME1 where there was a massive gouge in a planet that looked like it was caused by a weapon. Then in ME 2 or 3 you find a derelict reaper that was killed by a massive weapon. Just so much too those games. I find the "terminator" reaper to be a huge let down in ME2

Reactions: Chief Steele

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
They will eventually get to subscription services, something they are already starting to do.

As for loot boxes, EA will definitely keep doing it, as long as the sports titles keep bringing in insane amounts of money for them. Plenty of other titles will have them as well, there just be a slight cooling off period and they might be a little more selective on which titles to put them in. They have been in sports games for years, ever since Ultimate Team started.

Yea you are right about their sports games. They aren't going to mess with whatever the FIFA formula is. Nothing else they do matters as FIFA is a billion dollar empire. I was more referring to their non-sports side, and new IPs. Specifically the new Star Wars titel will not have loot boxes because Star Wars ties it so closely to Battlefront 2 and that controversy. They may come back around to them, but they are definitely going to cool off. At least that is what they said at their E3 conference. We will see if it sticks.

Definitely not. That has been around for almost as long as games came on discs and save file was divorced from the physical game (ie PS1 and Saturn era). I can't remember the first to use it, but Suikoden on PS1 might be it. That was 12 years before Mass Effect 2. Shenmue on Dreamcast did. Its not well remembered as part 2 only came out in Japan and Europe (and was on Dreamcast). I do remember as I was mad I couldn't transfer mine because I played American Part 1 and European part 2. Even Golden Sun on GBA carts did through passwords and/or a Gamecube link cable.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Yea you are right about their sports games. They aren't going to mess with whatever the FIFA formula is. Nothing else they do matters as FIFA is a billion dollar empire. I was more referring to their non-sports side, and new IPs. Specifically the new Star Wars titel will not have loot boxes because Star Wars ties it so closely to Battlefront 2 and that controversy. They may come back around to them, but they are definitely going to cool off. At least that is what they said at their E3 conference. We will see if it sticks.

Definitely not. That has been around for almost as long as games came on discs and save file was divorced from the physical game (ie PS1 and Saturn era). I can't remember the first to use it, but Suikoden on PS1 might be it. That was 12 years before Mass Effect 2. Shenmue on Dreamcast did. Its not well remembered as part 2 only came out in Japan and Europe (and was on Dreamcast). I do remember as I was mad I couldn't transfer mine because I played American Part 1 and European part 2. Even Golden Sun on GBA carts did through passwords and/or a Gamecube link cable.

I did not know this.. thanks for the info, I was always under the impression that ME was the first..

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

There were a few factors not at all associated with the game that sank it. 1) Hype can be as much of a critical killer as any glitch or poor design decision. ME: Andromeda was one of the most hyped games of all time. Anything short of amazing would receive severe backlash for failing to meet unrealistic expectations. Whether you like Last Jedi or not, would it have garnered such a large backlash if the Star Wars franchise wasn't as well-liked. People love a new chapter in their favorite franchises but sadly, even more so they love watching high reputations tarnished. 2) It also came out in one of the best first quaters ever in gaming. The most common two Game of the Year choices, Zelda : Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn came out less than a month prior. Its hard to enjoy such an unpolished game when two amazing games are available and still fresh, as well as several other great games (RE7, Nioh, Nier:Automata and a few indie gems). 3) Then there was negative PR before the game even launched through youtube, twitter, etc. When your game is a meme for being terrible before your game even launches, what chance do you have?

So it clearly is a very unpolished game and has all the other stuff against it. Very few people (myself included) even gave it a chance. I decided to wait until it was cheap and bought a Switch/Zelda instead. Its now in my backlog but it may never get played as my backlog is gigantic.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Andromeda was rough at first but really play on the mystery of what happened and who created the genesis machines....etc etc. I grew to like it

Shepard lives in one of the endings of ME:3. I think it's the one where you choose to kill off all synthetic life. I think it was the "red" color. The green was merging of synthetic and organic life. Blue, I believe was him taking over the reapers completely. The 4th is what you said.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There were a few factors not at all associated with the game that sank it. 1) Hype can be as much of a critical killer as any glitch or poor design decision. ME: Andromeda was one of the most hyped games of all time. Anything short of amazing would receive severe backlash for failing to meet unrealistic expectations. Whether you like Last Jedi or not, would it have garnered such a large backlash if the Star Wars franchise wasn't as well-liked. People love a new chapter in their favorite franchises but sadly, even more so they love watching high reputations tarnished. 2) It also came out in one of the best first quaters ever in gaming. The most common two Game of the Year choices, Zelda : Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn came out less than a month prior. Its hard to enjoy such an unpolished game when two amazing games are available and still fresh, as well as several other great games (RE7, Nioh, Nier:Automata and a few indie gems). 3) Then there was negative PR before the game even launched through youtube, twitter, etc. When your game is a meme for being terrible before your game even launches, what chance do you have?

So it clearly is a very unpolished game and has all the other stuff against it. Very few people (myself included) even gave it a chance. I decided to wait until it was cheap and bought a Switch/Zelda instead. Its now in my backlog but it may never get played as my backlog is gigantic.
Hmmm, I have a fairly strick genre of game I enjoy, so ME is always my wheel house. Never been a fan of "Nintendo" games. Won't knock them, but they just arent my cup of tea.

I saw Andromeda as them trying to start a new story loosely connected to the old trilogy. Which I was fine with because I do enjoy closure as opposed to dragging everything out indefinitely. It wasnt up to par with the original trilogy, but that's a tall order.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Shepard lives in one of the endings of ME:3. I think it's the one where you choose to kill off all synthetic life. I think it was the "red" color. The green was merging of synthetic and organic life. Blue, I believe was him taking over the reapers completely. The 4th is what you said.
Killing synthetic life would have ended him too though as he was rebuilt by Cerberus using synthetic tech. Hell it's been a long time since I've played.

My favorite part of the series was discovering Sovereign was a Reaper....his dialog was Epic

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Killing synthetic life would have ended him too though as he was rebuilt by Cerberus using synthetic tech. Hell it's been a long time since I've played.

My favorite part of the series was discovering Sovereign was a Reaper....his dialog was Epic

Agreed. That was awesome. I really liked Harbinger's voice acting. "Assuming direct control" and "I know this hurts you."

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed. That was awesome. I really liked Harbinger's voice acting. "Assuming direct control" and "I know this hurts you."
Harbinger was also a BOSS. I do like how that story turned out.....what was happening to the Human race was viewed as an honor by the Reapers in their mind. Only the strongest races were turned into reapers

Though they did a poor job explaining why all the reapers looked like Cuddle fish and the Human reaper looked like skinless Arnold Schwarzenegger. I know the OG Race Levianthens were the original blue print

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Harbinger was also a BOSS. I do like how that story turned out.....what was happening to the Human race was viewed as an honor by the Reapers in their mind. Only the strongest races were turned into reapers

Though they did a poor job explaining why all the reapers looked like Cuddle fish and the Human reaper looked like skinless Arnold Schwarzenegger. I know the OG Race Levianthens were the original blue print

That was an awesome DLC too. Finding out about the Leviathan race. Man, I miss how awesome those games were.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Anyone on PS4 mind telling me about it? How's the PSN service, is the connection good? Is it worth the price? Is the console as a whole worth the price?

I've been debating whether I wanna drop $500 on a PS4 because I'm sick of Xbox lol.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Anyone on PS4 mind telling me about it? How's the PSN service, is the connection good? Is it worth the price? Is the console as a whole worth the price?

I've been debating whether I wanna drop $500 on a PS4 because I'm sick of Xbox lol.

I was in the same boat as you. I bought an Xbox One when they came out, and I wanted a change of pace. I got a deal on mine during Prime Day where I got the 1TB “Days of Play” edition and Titanfall 2 for relatively cheap. So far I really enjoy it. I play Titanfall 2 with friends on PSN and have no problems connecting and chatting with 3-5 people at a time. I also bought MLB The Show which is a good time, sims super well and you can blow through seasons or take your time and jump into games. It’s very well done IMO (it could also be that I haven’t owned an MLB game since MVP Baseball 05. That game did rule though.) I also have The Last of Us Remastered and it’s terrific.

On the whole the console “features” are similar to what you get from Xbox Gold. Free/discounted games, online play, apps, etc. Put it this way, I don’t regret spending money on my PS4 at all.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
they wont try it with star wars only cause of disney. disney wont be able to save us from all their other franchises that will be full of loot box garbage, like nhl 19 for example. i personally wont buy another nhl game until rammer gets fired.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Whether it is worth it depends on the gamer. I own them both. However, I am a big gamer and I've owned every major console except the Wii U and a couple handhelds. Its always usually worth it for me if there are 2-3 amazing games, or 5-8 really solid ones I cannot play otherwise. But I play a lot of games, and a lot of different types of games. For me it is about the exclusives titles. I love narrative single player games. So its literally the only way to play God of War (2018), Infamous: Second Son. Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Last Guardian, Bloodborne. There are a few remakes are exclusive to the playstation family (Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Last of Us). Then there are upcoming games like Spider-man, Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima. God of War and Horizon are 2 of my 3 or so favorite games of this generation, with Last of Us as one of my top 5 of all time. But if story-games aren't your thing, there are no really good exclusive multi-player/shooter exclusives to change your mind outside of MLB the Show and Gran Turismo.

X-box is losing so they are doing much more for user service than PSN. Games with gold you keep the games whereas you only have access to your PSN Plus games while you have an active subscription. But thats a minor quibble. Its an incredible deal either way and having both gives you 2x the chances of a good games for free that month. Game Pass destroys PS Now. Microsoft is much better about quality of life updates to the dashboard/interface. PS doesn't support cross-play at all so the user base is smaller on the big name games like Fortnite. Those are all really minor quibbles though. You can get into your game and play smoothly on multiplayer with either system. I have not noticed a difference in connection with either one. They go down from time to time for repair/whatever at around the same rate. My Internet service provider is at fault for4 my connection issues 95% of the time. A better question if you are a multiplayer gamer, do your friends have both? If you have RL friends or built up a friends list on Xbox, will they be able to play with you on PS? That's important as playing with friends is far preferable to playing with strangers.

Final note, the PS4 options are $300 for a base model and $400 for the pro, not $500 (unless you are including PS Plus and a game). There are sales a couple times per year dropping the price or throwing in games. The Pro is only worth it if you have a 4k TV and are a stickler for graphics. If you currently have a base Xbox One or XBoxOne S and feel no need to upgrade to the X, the $300 PS4 model is just as good. So what I'd do is, count the number of exclusive games that interest you, then divide by $300. Is it worth it to you to pay an extra say $30 per game (if there are 10 games) to play those? If yes, buy it, if no, buy some different Xbox games.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
unless u want to play the exclusives on a ps4, id just build a pc or upgrade your pc gpu if you still have a good rig. all the AAA multiplatform games almost always play better on them and you dont have to deal with crappy 30fps games that way.

the ps4 has been a disappointment for me personally outside of uncharted 4 and bloodborne.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Has anyone been out to the PGA Championship? I cant think of anything more boring than watching golf, but apparently it is a madhouse at Bellerive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->