OT: Blues Fans of the 2013 World Series

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Since this subject has taken up a lot of space in our other OT thread and because it is a STL team involved, we will have a thread solely devoted to it.

wsredsoxcards102013.jpg

Thank indoor living for the suggestion.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Woot! Thanks Celtic. I'm so freaking excited for this. I desperately wanted to get to one of the home games, but for 400 bucks a pop for standing room only, my broke ass college self can't afford it.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sweet!

There isn't a Blues game Wednesday or Thursday so I figured we'd all be watching the World Series. I think this is going to be a great series. I can't wait.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm very excited about this series. I hope Craig can be the RBI machine he was in the regular season. We sorely missed his bat in the middle of the lineup. Pitching needs to be good, and we need to play better defense than we did at times last series. Kozma needs to be in every game. Descalso's slightly better offense doesn't even come close to the affect that Kozma has on the game defensively. I don't care if he strikes out every AB, we need him in the field. He's basically a designated fielder at times.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm very excited about this series. I hope Craig can be the RBI machine he was in the regular season. We sorely missed his bat in the middle of the lineup. Pitching needs to be good, and we need to play better defense than we did at times last season. Kozma needs to be in every game. Descalso's slightly better offense doesn't even come close to the affect that Kozma has on the game defensively. I don't care if he strikes out every AB, we need him in the field. He's basically a designated fielder at times.

Descalso never should have been starting to begin with. His modest offensive improvement over Kozma isn't nearly worth the huge defensive difference. Especially with Craig back as the DH.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I have an eight pound pork butt in the slow cooker right now for Wednesday. I'll pull it out after with tomorrow then pull it Wednesday before the game. I am so pumped for these games. I hope Craig can actually contribute after his time off. Don't know much about the Red Sox this season to be honest. It'll be great times.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I have an eight pound pork butt in the slow cooker right now for Wednesday. I'll pull it out after with tomorrow then pull it Wednesday before the game. I am so pumped for these games. I hope Craig can actually contribute after his time off. Don't know much about the Red Sox this season to be honest. It'll be great times.

Huge Red Sox fan here, they were picked to finish either last or fourth, instead they won the American League East. But not only that the won more regular season games then any other team AL or NL. Their deep farm system has really made the difference, and not being afraid to pull the trigger on a young player when the move was necessary. Bogartes, Iggy, Bradley Jr. have all helped big despite spending most of their seasons in Pawtucket, and our starting rotation and bullpen has been amazing all year, with Buchholz, Peavy & Uehara being clutch. The Red Sox earned their 3rd trip to the World Series in 9 years (they won the first two), to rematch the team they played those 9 years ago back in 2004. Super stoked!!

Reactions: BadNewsBlues

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Cardinals are the better team here, but the first game is going to be the toughest. Lester has been great and we struggle against very average lefties.

As much as our hitting has struggled in general recently, the Sox have been worse over their CS.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Huge Red Sox fan here, they were picked to finish either last or fourth, instead they won the American League East. But not only that the won more regular season games then any other team AL or NL. Their deep farm system has really made the difference, and not being afraid to pull the trigger on a young player when the move was necessary. Bogartes, Iggy, Bradley Jr. have all helped big despite spending most of their seasons in Pawtucket, and our starting rotation and bullpen has been amazing all year, with Buchholz, Peavy & Uehara being clutch. The Red Sox earned their 3rd trip to the World Series in 9 years (they won the first two), to rematch the team they played those 9 years ago back in 2004. Super stoked!!

The Cardinals andd Red Sox both have the same record of 97-65

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The Cardinals andd Red Sox both have the same record of 97-65

That is interesting. Does anybody know how homefield advantage would be determined for this situation in the pre- 'dumb meaningful all star game' era? Can't really use head to head record, maybe run differential?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That is interesting. Does anybody know how homefield advantage would be determined for this situation in the pre- 'dumb meaningful all star game' era? Can't really use head to head record, maybe run differential?

It had alternated between the Leagues, NL got it in odd years and the AL in even years. So our first 3 WS appearances since the rule change it didn't make a difference.

As imperfect as the alternating system was, it is vastly preferable to the All Star game being used.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Wow that's right it's been so long I forgot. Reminded me of the walk-off game 7 hit by Gonzalez in 2001, a series where I'm pretty sure the Yankees should have had HFA if it were determined by regular season record.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I'm glad we're playing the Sox. Would love some revenge from '04. I was at Game 4 and I won't forget the 30K Boston fans taking over Busch and Jimmy Fallon running on to the field for the end of that crappy movie and their douchy fake Johnny Damon beards.

Ya...bring it on beantown.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
This is going to be a great series. I would strongly consider starting Sugar Shane Robinson over Jon Jay right now. Jay just looks lost at the plate and even worse in the outfield. I'm not sure what happened over the last few weeks, but he was awful in the NLCS. This might end up being the best Cards lineup since '04

Carpenter
Beltran
Holliday
Craig
Adams
Molina
Freese
Jay/Robinson
Kozma

That's a damn solid lineup!

I like the Birds to win in 6 and celebrate on the Boston field this year, and return the favor from '04! Lets go Cards!

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I am looking forward to this series. Would prefer to see Chambers on the roster over Wong though. Chambers has some experience, and I dont even remember Wong getting a hit since week with the team.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I am looking forward to this series. Would prefer to see Chambers on the roster over Wong though. Chambers has some experience, and I dont even remember Wong getting a hit since week with the team.

Wong at least swings at the ball. Chambers just sits there and watches strike three time after time. Wong also plays the more premium position. Plus, he's actually a better baserunner than Chambers. He reads pitchers well and makes good reads off the bat. He a legit base stealing threat. Chambers is fast, but he's not as good as a base stealer. Plus, Robinson is much more likely to play in the outfield over Chambers. He didn't have much of a spot.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Confirmed lineups for tonight...

Carpenter 2B
Beltran RF
Holliday LF
Craig DH
Molina C
Freese 3B
Adams 1B
Robinson CF
Kozma SS

Ellsbury CF
Victorino RF
Pedroia 2B
Ortiz DH
Napoli 1B
Gomes LF
Bogaerts 3B
Drew SS
Ross C

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I thought Saltalamacchia kills right handed pitching?

Craig's addition makes our lineup look deeper than Boston's.

And that's in addition to our deeper bullpen and better top of the rotation.

Like our chances.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Had to go back and watch some of this today...

4:10:16 is where the fun begins.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Wow. Massive, massive break.

Or not after a meeting. It is the right decision, I hate that method though. A guy is 10' away and he defers to other umpires who have significantly worse views? Well you shouldn't be out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad