OT: Blues Fans of the 2013 World Series

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
It's simple really. If we pitch, hit and field like we did in the regular season, we win. No surprise there.

Managerially, not walking Ortiz at every opportunity -- especially in St. Louis where they lose a bat anyway due to lack of DH -- was stupid and hubris-filled. Matheny would call it confidence in his pitchers, but forget that. Four games to win, you don't hand out candy to your players. You do what it takes.

That said, we're used to getting back there. We will soon. We're spoiled fans right now and expect a win every time, but that's not how it works.

I also think we have to remember something like 20 of our guys were rookies, all coming through our system. No store-bought team here.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
When you look at Cot's Baseball Contracts and realize that 6 of the 9 highest paid players on the team this year either missed the entire season or had no role passed September you realize how impressive the season really was. And how amazing the farm system is.

The Cards are in an enviable spot with so much money available and so many assets to plug holes this offseason.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Short stop is the most pressing need. But I have a sinking feeling Freese will be back. Let's hope Wong spends the off season working his ass off so he can come in and out play Freese. If he does that, I think we could see them move Carpenter to third and play Wong everyday at second.

If the rumors of Freese are true, which I have a strong belief they are, the cardinals would be foolish to re-sign him, unless he takes a massive discount to basically be our pinch hitter

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Lets not forget the cardinals have one of the best prospect pipelines in th MLB right now. We all know how good Tavares and Wong will be, but this team is loaded after that too. Recent 1st round pick Marco Gonzales has tore up the minors, and I really like 3B Stephen Piscotty, a 15 HR .295 hitter last year. James Ramsey looks almost ready to be a power hitter as well.

In terms of next season, this team needs to be able to hit towards the bottom of the order. Whether it be a SS, or 3B, this team needs an upgrade there. I hope they don't think Wong is the answer to that, he may be the future but not next year. I like Tulowitzki but JJ Hardy would offer nice power too.

Anyone know the news regarding Beltran coming back?

Also- Thank god Westbrook is gone.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
When you look at Cot's Baseball Contracts and realize that 6 of the 9 highest paid players on the team this year either missed the entire season or had no role passed September you realize how impressive the season really was. And how amazing the farm system is. The Cards are in an enviable spot with so much money available and so many assets to plug holes this offseason.
That is a truly staggering piece of information and it makes the season we had all the more impressive.
If the rumors of Freese are true, which I have a strong belief they are, the cardinals would be foolish to re-sign him, unless he takes a massive discount to basically be our pinch hitter
What rumors have you heard? Not being condescending, I'm genuinely interested. If it were me, or find a me a new short stop, and say bye bye to Freese. Run with Carpenter at third, and let Wong play at second, with Descalso as the backup. Stick with Jay in center but play Robinson more. Bring up Tavares and let him spell Holliday and Craig in the outfield.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Lets not forget the cardinals have one of the best prospect pipelines in th MLB right now. We all know how good Tavares and Wong will be, but this team is loaded after that too. Recent 1st round pick Marco Gonzales has tore up the minors, and I really like 3B Stephen Piscotty, a 15 HR .295 hitter last year. James Ramsey looks almost ready to be a power hitter as well.

In terms of next season, this team needs to be able to hit towards the bottom of the order. Whether it be a SS, or 3B, this team needs an upgrade there. I hope they don't think Wong is the answer to that, he may be the future but not next year. I like Tulowitzki but JJ Hardy would offer nice power too.

Anyone know the news regarding Beltran coming back?

Also- Thank god Westbrook is gone.
I think the common, and most likely correct, assumption is that he's gone. He's going to want a two or three year deal and rightfully so. If he's willing to take a one year deal I could see him back, but I think an AL team is going to offer him big dollar and multiple years to DH. I want nothing to do with a trade for Tulo. He's supremely talented, no doubt but his injury history scares the hell out of me. Not to mention the absolutely massive cost to get him.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I think the common, and most likely correct, assumption is that he's gone. He's going to want a two or three year deal and rightfully so. If he's willing to take a one year deal I could see him back, but I think an AL team is going to offer him big dollar and multiple years to DH. I want nothing to do with a trade for Tulo. He's supremely talented, no doubt but his injury history scares the hell out of me. Not to mention the absolutely massive cost to get him.

I think JJ hardy is my pick for who we should get. The guy is a .260 25 HR hitter who could hit 30. He'd really help the bottom of the order around that 5 or 6 spot. Plus he's a gold glove winner.

But then again what does the lineup look like next year?

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I think JJ hardy is my pick for who we should get. The guy is a .260 25 HR hitter who could hit 30. He'd really help the bottom of the order around that 5 or 6 spot. Plus he's a gold glove winner.

But then again what does the lineup look like next year?

A .260 in the AL is probably a .230 hitter in the NL

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Short stop is the most pressing need. But I have a sinking feeling Freese will be back.

This is where it's good that Moz won't probably give Matheny the same level of say he would have given to LaRussa. Matheny would want to keep Freese here based on 2011. If he was hurt, that's a different story and it's hard to jettison someone based on that -- unless he told no one and put the team's success at risk. Unfortunately, I think that was the case.

Let's hope Wong spends the off season working his ass off so he can come in and out play Freese. If he does that, I think we could see them move Carpenter to third and play Wong everyday at second.

I like Wong. He made a mistake on the pickoff but that pitcher has a notoriously good move. Wong wasn't the reason we lost that game, just provided an interesting way to end it.

I have issue with Kozma, despite his defensive reputation. Anemic bat this postseason and too many errors for a "defensive" guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->