GDT: Blues @ Ducks| Giving up and scoring lots of goals| NBCSN, 8:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Nice gritty win, Binnington was amazing, Joshua looks really comfortable for his 2nd game, but man were there plenty of guys who could've stepped up that didn't. Weird game, but 2 points is all that matters.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congratulations on the win tonight. I had to step away to chat and say goodnight to my younger Gingers.

Thank you as always for being so welcoming.

Good to see Binnington bounce back strong and make the important saves
2A27BD9E-B165-430F-BF3C-71AF5C621F19.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Id think joshua sits before walker.
I’m less certain about that. He can PK and has shown chemistry with his 4th line mates. They’ll both be out of the lineup quickly anoint, but I think Joshua really helped himself this week. He went from being a guy that probably never makes it, to a guy that can find a way into the lineup as quality depth. Good for him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
First time I can fully say Mikkola failed to clean crease and was caught on no man land on Ducks 1st goal. I dont know was it affect on that, but Mikkola was benched last ~8min of game and Chief forced to do double shifts and Scandella was out of gas, reason of that he take bad penalty and Ducks scored at powerplay.

I see too many errors by still. I counted 2 easy turnovers by Faulk in the game when he was carrying puck and not putting puck right away in the move. That is sluggish play, better team will counter and punish you from those easy turnovers. Scandella was turnover machine. I really don't like his performance. But how slim our defense is its good to have him. Faulk was only guy who could carry the puck on 5on5, 1 time. One f***ing time our dmen did carry the puck over redline.

What comes from powerplay goals. Good we get those, but one was kind of setup play Sunny at doorstep, but he was left out alone. I'll take it. 2nd was faceoff win and Schenn just shoot it, again credits goes to Sunny on great screen. 3rd goal was broken play and Kyrou just doing solo lap and Sanford grind it to the net. Those goals hasn't anything to do with how they have been coached to play powerplay, maybe 1st, but still.

Without those powerplay goals, this game was really even with Ducks. We desperately need our team healthy. Make a compromise with Parayko and go surgery. This team isn't Cup contender. Give kiddo time to heal and be ready for next season if he wants to resign with Blues if not, play him injured and let him walk for nothing.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Perfect example of how an enforcer from the old NHL has turned himself into a unique and effective bottom 6 player

I don't really consider Reaves to have ever played in the old NHL nor been an enforcer. I don't think there's truly been an enforcer since the salary cap went in.

I believe I had Kyrou ranked ahead of Thomas as a prospect, but I agree that Thomas has stagnated. I think he will still have a bright future and we’ll be talking about him the way we are talking about Kyrou now (though I do think Kyrou will always be the better player)

Kyrou is definitely incredible but there is something to be said for the quality of linemates Thomas and Kyrou have had. Thomas mostly plays with 3rd and 4th liners where as Kyrou is playing with Schwartz/Schenn/ROR.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I’m less certain about that. He can PK and has shown chemistry with his 4th line mates. They’ll both be out of the lineup quickly anoint, but I think Joshua really helped himself this week. He went from being a guy that probably never makes it, to a guy that can find a way into the lineup as quality depth. Good for him.

Joshua can't sit because we have no other healthy centers right now, unless I am missing something. Some guys just need a chance to succeed and Joshua is taking full advantage of it. At first glance he looks to be just as capable as someone like De La Rose and perhaps he can be a lot better than that. Definitely like what I've seen so far.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
I don't really consider Reaves to have ever played in the old NHL nor been an enforcer. I don't think there's truly been an enforcer since the salary cap went in.

Kyrou is definitely incredible but there is something to be said for the quality of linemates Thomas and Kyrou have had. Thomas mostly plays with 3rd and 4th liners where as Kyrou is playing with Schwartz/Schenn/ROR.
Cam Janssen? DJ king? Derek Boogaard?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Cam Janssen? DJ king? Derek Boogaard?

No. You cannot compare any of them to pre salary cap guys. You know back when fans knew the stats of the enforcers the way fans today know the stats of goal scorers. When going to the game meant being hyped about the fight you were guaranteed to see that night.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Short sample, but Joshua have been impressive at faceoffs. Last game 4/5 80% and this game 4/6 67%.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Congratulations on the win tonight. I had to step away to chat and say goodnight to my younger Gingers.

Thank you as always for being so welcoming.

Good to see Binnington bounce back strong and make the important saves
View attachment 403097
Heck! I don’t know why you keep asking if you can hang around.

You’re one of us now, Bubba!

@Pizza!Pizza! is another who is welcomed without any sort of preface.

I used to hang around the Jets board a lot, which I’m sure annoyed a few members, but mostly I was there to root for them and check on Jets prospects with the Moose.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was very happy with the Blues' play last night. We played a simple, largely conservative game at 5 on 5 and then buttoned things down once our PP gave us a lead to protect. We had a couple break downs, but by and large just played a simple game that kept the Ducks on the outside. I don't have an issue about us giving up a goal with 8 seconds left, especially since the refs missed a call immediately leading up to it. We killed a 6 on 4 immediately before that when a goal would have really made it a game, so a bit of a let up with 8 seconds left isn't the end of the world to me.

While they weren't the prettiest wins and the Ducks aren't a good team, it would be a pretty big nitpick to complain about taking 4 points in a 2 game series where we have 8 guys out of the lineup.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Heck! I don’t know why you keep asking if you can hang around.

You’re one of us now, Bubba!

@Pizza!Pizza! is another who is welcomed without any sort of preface.

I used to hang around the Jets board a lot, which I’m sure annoyed a few members, but mostly I was there to root for them and check on Jets prospects with the Moose.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Whether you consider it or not, Reaves was and still kind of is an enforcer. He's much more than just a fighter, but to argue he wasn't an enforcer is ignoring the game from 10 years ago. When I say "old" NHL, I mean that it was more bruising and much more checking. Now, the game has shifted greatly to more speed, more skill, and more rush chances. I'd argue many of the enforcers that played before 2005 have either retired or have changed their game.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Walker has good energy, but it's clear why he isn't a regular NHL player. He can get pucks, but he can't set anyone up. He's a mucker through and through, but he isn't a center and thus expendable. I wish the guy would carve out a career up here, but he just doesn't have the skill to keep up with other guys like Sundqvist, Barbashev, or even Clifford. Joshua on the other hand plays center, is actually quite fast for his size, and from two games looks like he is pretty effective down low and has already developed chemistry with Mac and Clifford. I really hope he can stay in the lineup because right now he looks like an NHL'er.

Reactions: Blueston

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Joshua has been a nice little surprise in his 2 games, plays a smart game and has made a few good plays. Looks more useful than MacEachern already although that's not really saying much.

Krug has been losing favor with me, he's making far too many poor decisions with the puck which lead to the opposing team coming back the other way. Lots of passes off the mark which startle me since that should be one of his greatest assets. His lack of foot speed and size has been evident at times when he's trying to shake off forecheckers but they're able to knock the puck off his stick. I like his aggressiveness in the offensive zone but he really needs to clean up his play in other two zones.

Reactions: Blues Knight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad