GDT: Blues Draft Day 2023

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
How exactly do you pronounce that first name?

Juraj is a given name used in a number of Slavic languages, including Czech, Slovak, and Croatian. Pronounced "You-rye" but with a trilled r.

The English equivalent of the name is George.

(click on the left 'slovak' speaker) :popcorn:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Man. If I was draft eligible and brought my entire family to the draft just to not be drafted is be pretty broken hearted and embarrassed. Glad he was picked.
I was having this conversation with my partner last night, but with guys going late in the 1st.

Sit for 4 hours knowing that cameras can and will catch any bored/annoyed/pissed look on your face. Watch the section around you slowly empty out as families celebrate a top 5 lifetime moment. Watch your agent celebrate with a couple other clients (or if you're his top dog then he's sitting near you the whole time frantically texting GMs on your behalf). Watch a few teams draft someone else even though you thought you nailed the interview and were for sure on their short list. And then the 1st round ends, your name wasn't called and you have to go back to the hotel with your entire family and try to get a few hours sleep before going back to the arena the next morning.

Sounds awful.

Obviously guys picked in the 7th round today weren't expecting to go last night, so today was their stressful day. But man, I can't imagine the nerves of sitting there through 6 rounds today just hoping my family didn't make the trip for nothing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I was having this conversation with my partner last night, but with guys going late in the 1st.

Sit for 4 hours knowing that cameras can and will catch any bored/annoyed/pissed look on your face. Watch the section around you slowly empty out as families celebrate a top 5 lifetime moment. Watch your agent celebrate with a couple other clients (or if you're his top dog then he's sitting near you the whole time frantically texting GMs on your behalf). Watch a few teams draft someone else even though you thought you nailed the interview and were for sure on their short list. And then the 1st round ends, your name wasn't called and you have to go back to the hotel with your entire family and try to get a few hours sleep before going back to the arena the next morning.

Sounds awful.

Obviously guys picked in the 7th round today weren't expecting to go last night, so today was their stressful day. But man, I can't imagine the nerves of sitting there through 6 rounds today just hoping my family didn't make the trip for nothing.
MLB Draft is quite a bit different than the NHL Draft, but some of the top prospects are typically in MLB Network’s studio for the first round. Harold Reynolds was telling the story on air about how in 2009 they only had one player show up to the studio for draft night and how he was really hoping and praying that someone would take him in the first round so he wouldn’t be embarrassed. Angels took him near the end of the first, Mike Trout.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
draftees
Fzz9a-PUWAAAVn7-E-format-jpg-name-small.jpg

recap

Reactions: The Electrician

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That reaction is great. Very happy to have both of them. Dvorsky’s English is incredible by the way. So jealous of how easily he can transition from one language to another when he was talking to Honzek.
Saw story where when he first moved to Sweden several years ago to play he had to communicate in English because he didn’t speak any Swedish. Now he is fluent in that too.

Reactions: Drubilly

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Blues director of armature scouting.

Extremely excited, pleased that it played out the way it did," Blues director of amateur scouting Tony Feltrin said. "We sat with three first-round picks, ended up executing with those with players we had high on our prioritized list, talented players. We had two first-round picks, it was tight. Wasn't sure they were going to be there for us, but fortunately they were. Right through seven rounds, we got players that as a staff we're very excited about. All in all, great success."
Certainly when you look that it was three Swedish (league) players drafted in the first round, you might say, 'Well, that's overloading it,'" Feltrin said. "But they're great hockey players. The talent of a hockey player dictates where we have them on the list. Selections were made by there warranted rating on the list."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad