GDT: Blues Draft Day 2023

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Can you summerize Pronman's takes on each of The Blues' top 6 picks, for the posters who don't have a subscription to The Athletic?

From the article:
"With three firsts, including a 10th overall, you should get players, and the Blues did. Dalibor Dvorsky is a potential top two line center for them in a few years. Otto Stenberg, Theo Lindstein, and Juraj Pekarcik all have real chances to play in the NHL too. They could get two NHL regulars from this group, maybe three."

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
What is interesting about this article is Armstrong got a surprise call from a G.M. to trade for the 10th overall just after Detroit made their pick. It sounded like they did not have enough time to process the offer & also liked Dvorsky so made the pick.
He even described it as a “crazy” offer, so I’m really curious - alas, we’ll likely never know.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
From the article:
"With three firsts, including a 10th overall, you should get players, and the Blues did. Dalibor Dvorsky is a potential top two line center for them in a few years. Otto Stenberg, Theo Lindstein, and Juraj Pekarcik all have real chances to play in the NHL too. They could get two NHL regulars from this group, maybe three."
Thanks, Kimzey. I've long respected Pronman's take on drafts. But, I'm a little disappointed that he thinks there are only 2 really good chances to get NHL regulars, and one "maybe". That means that he thinks that they "might" get an NHL regular from one of the Lindstein or Pekarcik pick, and one of them is not likely to make it, and that Burns is only a longshot to ever become an NHL regular. That makes it seem like Burns was a lousy choice in this really deep class of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Round talents, reaching farther down than normal into one-round lower.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
All of a sudden, The Blues are starting to draft SEL and Alsvenskan players again. Is Alex Steen, back in Sweden, scouting for The Blues there? And now we're picking Slovaks again. Could that come from a Central European scout The Blues lined up years ago through Demitra, Handzus, Bartecko, or Nagy?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't personally think of Thomas and Kyrou as puck hounds. When I think of those players, I think of young Schwartz, Steen, Perron (despite his offensive penalties), O'Reilly when he first joined the team. Not that Thomas or Kyrou don't engage in those areas, but you're not going to see them force their way through guys like some other players would. I think Thomas' defense is decent and his hands allow him to win those battles more efficiently. Kyrou has the speed to cancel players out, but as we've seen he can go games without challenging like he should. I'm looking for Washkurak type guys with high compete and motor, and Dvorsky and Stenberg sorta fit that bill.
But Perron and Steen weren’t those players either when they were Kyrou’s age. We saw Perron and Steen grow a lot as players as they went into their later 20s.

Kyrou has the characteristics and ability, IMO, to have a similar career trajectory as a guy like Perron. Of course he’s a much better skater and he will never be as physical so that’s the difference, but I really hope he puts in the work because he can be a good puck hound if he wants to.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
He even described it as a “crazy” offer, so I’m really curious - alas, we’ll likely never know.

That makes me assume it's some kind of exchanging future picks where the Blues really aren't in a position to prognosticate the value of the picks offered. Obviously could be a lot of things, but that's where my mind goes with a "crazy" offer that a team can't appropriately evaluate in that span of time. Not crazy in terms of high value, but, more likely, in terms of convolution and their inability to gauge relative value.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I find these draft grades to be rather disingenuous. Guy like Pronman (or Wheeler or whomever) has a list of how he ranks the players and teams that draft his guys lower than he projected get high grades and teams that are smarter than him and take guys higher than he thinks get low grades. For example, Wings get credit for their really dumb pick because Pronman really liked Danielson.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Thanks, Kimzey. I've long respected Pronman's take on drafts. But, I'm a little disappointed that he thinks there are only 2 really good chances to get NHL regulars, and one "maybe". That means that he thinks that they "might" get an NHL regular from one of the Lindstein or Pekarcik pick, and one of them is not likely to make it, and that Burns is only a longshot to ever become an NHL regular. That makes it seem like Burns was a lousy choice in this really deep class of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Round talents, reaching farther down than normal into one-round lower.
I wouldn't read much into tbh, he has some weird wording/definitions for his tiers. Tbh he didn't give many teams the 3 or more prospects with good chances to be NHL regulars, maybe like 1 or 2 teams. Also he only has 38 prospects who project as better than 3rd pairing D/bottom 6 player. Every prospect evaluator has their own biases and types of players they like. For example Pronman thinks Simashev has two way top pair potential while Wheeler thinks he's more of a No.3-5 potential. Only time will tell

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think it’s a fine assessment. You have to have a very good draft to have 3+ players make the NHL.

Dvo and Otto look like virtual locks in some capacity, but they still have to make progress to make that a reality.

Lindsten and the others have significant work to do to make the NHL…at least that’s my initial assessment.

Regardless, I would rather have one elite player or two high quality ones rather than a bunch of depth guys. Quality is more important than quantity. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a mix.

I am really liking our 1st 2 picks. I am not sure how high their ceilings are, but they look like players for sure. A couple of our later picks are intriguing too, but 3rd or later rounders frequently do not turn into NHL players.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
But Perron and Steen weren’t those players either when they were Kyrou’s age. We saw Perron and Steen grow a lot as players as they went into their later 20s.

Kyrou has the characteristics and ability, IMO, to have a similar career trajectory as a guy like Perron. Of course he’s a much better skater and he will never be as physical so that’s the difference, but I really hope he puts in the work because he can be a good puck hound if he wants to.
That's one of my greatest hopes, when it comes to The Blues' future. Otherwise he is, basically a one-dimensional player, and a lot less value to his team than someone of his skills and athletic ability can be. At least Thomas gives it a try, even though he's not as effective as he can be, and WILL be after he gets stronger. I hope he is still working on building up his strength. And, I'd like Kyrou to do that, as well.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think it’s a fine assessment. You have to have a very good draft to have 3+ players make the NHL.

Dvo and Otto look like virtual locks in some capacity, but they still have to make progress to make that a reality.

Lindsten and the others have significant work to do to make the NHL…at least that’s my initial assessment.

Regardless, I would rather have one elite player or two high quality ones rather than a bunch of depth guys. Quality is more important than quantity. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a mix.

I am really liking our 1st 2 picks. I am not sure how high their ceilings are, but they look like players for sure. A couple of our later picks are intriguing too, but 3rd or later rounders frequently do not turn into NHL players.
Yes, but this year's super deep draft has the top half of The 3rd filled with players of the level that normally fall in the 2nd. And Lindstein has too much in the way of skills and hockey sense to fail to even become a regular 3rd pairing D-man. I'll be very surprised if Burns can't do the same, at least making it to #6 on one of the weakest teams in The NHL. I feel the same about Pekarcik. I wouldn't bet that he's a lock to become an NHL star, 1st liner, or even top 6er, or even top 9er on a good team. But, I'll be surprised if he's NEVER a Top 9er on even a weak NHL team, without having a career destroying injury. I know that it is difficult to make The NHL as a regular. I've been following The League since 1949-50, and had neighbourhood friends make that league when it had only 6 teams. Yes, I've seen several highly touted high 1st Round choices fail to even play one game in The NHL. But, still, I think Pronman is just being a little too conservative.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I fully grasp what you're talking about, I love that type of heavy player, I just don't agree that Thomas can be described as lacking competitiveness on the boards.
Hmm, maybe it's a semantic argument we're having here. I don't think I would disagree that Thomas lacks "competitiveness" along the boards, but he definitely isn't heavy. I think he can be much heavier on those types of plays and obviously I think you'd see a more well rounded player. Maybe you're taking issue with my wording as opposed to if we had a more nuanced discussion about what I think competitive means?

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
That's one of my greatest hopes, when it comes to The Blues' future. Otherwise he is, basically a one-dimensional player, and a lot less value to his team than someone of his skills and athletic ability can be. At least Thomas gives it a try, even though he's not as effective as he can be, and WILL be after he gets stronger. I hope he is still working on building up his strength. And, I'd like Kyrou to do that, as well.
I don’t disagree, but he did add a demonstrable amount of strength after getting pushed around by the Avs. I think it served him well, but…

What I saw this year, from Thomas, was a stronger player that wanted to work like O’Reilly and skate like himself in the OZ. Lofty goal, and he got more minutes, to boot.

I felt like he “bonked”, frequently, on his shifts. I think to get to the next level -to have those high gears on both sides of the puck- he’s going to have to take his conditioning to a new level. Maybe he is who he is and just needs to simplify, but I think he can get there.

Reactions: Robb_K and Blueston

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Just watched some highlights of Juraj Pekarcik, wow what a motor. This guy is fun to watch, if he can add a touch of control to his play when he gains possession this guy could turn into a 3rd or 4th line monster. Dude is seriously relentless on the backcheck.

Honestly believe we could see a Neighbors-Dean-Pekarcik 3rd line one day. Bring back old school Blues hockey and give other teams fits.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Again, that was not the point. I was responding to someone who said they can't wait to read all the praise we will get in the post draft report cards and winner/loser articles.

I don't ignore those rankings, but a lot of the people writing those articles do. I wasn't saying he was a late 2nd to a 3rd round pick, the article I was referencing did.

I have not seen a single article that said we were a "winner" on draft night. I have not seen a single report card say we got an A on the Lindstein pick. There may be articles out there. But you won't be inundated with Blues praise if you read around the internet because we are a small market team that doesn't generate clicks and most people who write that stuff are dumb.

Again, I am not saying it wasn't an A pick. I don't know enough about him to judge. I am just saying I have not seen any article giving us an A on it.

Wheeler gave us a Overtime winner, which is the 2nd of 4 tiers. He had 5 winners, and 13 OT winners. So we got a positive, but not necessarily glowing praise. Sportsnet did not mention us in either of their winner/loser article. So I have looked at draft coverage and the writers are not falling all over themselves to praise us.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, but was criticizing the article. I'm not a big fan of the pick. I trust our scouting staff, but it felt like a reach. But I fully disagree with anyone spinning a narrative that it was a clear 25-35 spot reach.

Any article ignoring the several respected prospect writers who had him as a potential late 1st (or early 2nd) round talent is just silly.

All in all, I liked our draft. I love getting Dvorsky at 10. Didn't think he'd still be there and he was by far my favorite prospect left when we picked. I liked Stenberg given who was on the board and then I think we left some talent on the table to take a position of organizational need. I'd probably give us a B considering that we had 3 1st round picks.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Just watched some highlights of Juraj Pekarcik, wow what a motor. This guy is fun to watch, if he can add a touch of control to his play when he gains possession this guy could turn into a 3rd or 4th line monster. Dude is seriously relentless on the backcheck.

Honestly believe we could see a Neighbors-Dean-Pekarcik 3rd line one day. Bring back old school Blues hockey and give other teams fits.
That reminds me a little of Toropchenko. But, from what I've seen of him, I think he skates with a little better puck control (thank goodness). He's got time to work on that before he comes even to The AHL.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

That was my main takeaway from watching him briefly. Super active and is always checking/on the puck. A bit erratic, but he’s still 17 and it looks like a lot of his erratic play is him trying things. I saw a bit of that from Dvorsky as well, it may be something that is coached to them or just a product of being on a Slovak team that didn’t have a lot of high end skill.

In regards to Pronman write up and the draft in general I think there’s a real good chance we have at least 4 guys from this draft that will play significant NHL games. All 3 of our 1st rounders are guys that are highly likely to have NHL careers. Dvorsky has a pretty high ceiling relative to the group, Stenberg looks like a two way play driver who rises to the occasion, and lindstein looks about as steady as they come would find it hard pressed he’s not at the minimum a 3rd pairing guy who plays some minutes at a relatively low action pace. I have a hard time not seeing Pekarcik unless he changes his game not making the NHL. His work ethic and puck hounding alone warrant a 4th line spot. I personally see his floor as what Torpo was this year especially given he has the will to play the game that way at such a young age.

Of course things could happen and this could all change given how young they are. But we certainly had a type this draft. 05 birthdays with a heavy responsibility for two way play and I’m quite alright with that. You see it all the time the younger guys in the draft aren’t as far along in their progression as the guys 2-6 months older. It’s why personally I’m not a huge fan of Detroits pick at 9 of Danielson, although I think he’ll be a pretty decent player

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Philly just picked a 6'6", 230 lb defenseman named Matteo Mann.

Last name fits.

Wonder if he's related to Jimmy Mann? Anyone remember him?
I remember him as the guy who injured Wayne Babych and effectively ended his career. In a exhibition game, a meaningless fight in a meaningless game. It wasn't punches that caused the injury but the fall to the ice. Babych landed on his shoulder.

• Wow

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Then again, black book and McKeens were night and day on Stancl. Realizing the in between on Lindstein and Burns both, I see two 4-6 guys if the stars line up. Lindstein is playing men’s league hockey just like Reinbacher. I realize the stats aren’t an offensive juggernaut, but against his peers he was right there with Willander and Pelikka shutting folks down.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Not the name this time, but the team he plays for

Ottowa selected Owen Becker, a center in the British Columbia Hockey League, who plays for...Salmon Arm.

Right up there with Moose Jaw and Medicine Hat.

More than likely

Eh, the Silverbacks make for an interesting team to watch when they play my hometown Prince George Spruce Kings in the BCHL. And for 15$ a ticket at the door thats pretty decent value. Contemplating paying 225$ for season tickets this year.

Better than some of the really weird names in the isolated corners of BC like Sandspit. Salmon arm is a pretty small community to host a BCHL team at 17,000 population - but its within 2 hours of Vernon and Penticton (other valley BCHL teams, Kamloops and Kelowna for WHL teams).

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
What no-trade clause holder would waive it to allow himself to be traded to The abysmal Flyers??? Did Krug turn down any trades to a potential playoff-contending team? I don't recall any buzz about Army discussing a trade with any other teams. I think there still may be a chance to dump him off, that he'll accept. Maybe The Kracken? They're on the rise, and Krug might accept a trade to them, where he can be the #1 or #2 team PP QB, on a playoff-bound team that actually wants him.

Another Parayko! :DD

Why would Seattle do that when they have a younger Dunn filling that role already?

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
He moved from Slovakia to Sweden at age 9. Everybody in Sweden can speak Engllish fluently (except maybe a few Sami reindeer herders in the far north, and a few people over 100 years old). Since then, he's had enough time there watching non-dubbed American and British films and listening to pop music sung in English to pick it up easily. Plus, he probably was communicating in broken English to Swedes, when he first arrived in Sweden. On the other hand, his Slovakian relatives still probably speak no English at all. When I last visited there in 1988, virtually no one spoke a word of English. It took me an hour of searching before I found someone, over 90,who could speak in German, with whom I could communicate.
1988? Well that was during Czechoslovakia times and that country was a communist so of course nobody spoke english. Nowadays, young people in Slovakia can speak english easily. At least most of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad