GDT: Blues Draft Day 2023

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
1988? Well that was during Czechoslovakia times and that country was a communist so of course nobody spoke english. Nowadays, young people in Slovakia can speak english easily. At least most of them.
Heck, they probably speak English better than 90% of American students

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
They speak it better than me and it's the only language I know.

It's not uncommon for them to know 3+ languages.
Before WWII it was common for many eastern Slovakians to speak, in addition to Slovakian, Czechish, Galizianer Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian, German. After The Russians helped The Communists take over, Russian was the main foreign language studied in schools. German was no longer taught in schools (and maybe not French (I'm not sure). My cousins in eastern Czechoslovakia in the 1930s were totally fluent in all of those, plus Yiddish, and were able also to get along in Russian, Serbian, standard Polish, and Roumanian. And they were just normal people, - not linguists.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
1988? Well that was during Czechoslovakia times and that country was a communist so of course nobody spoke english. Nowadays, young people in Slovakia can speak english easily. At least most of them.
That was VERY shortsighted of The Soviets. If they allowed their own people and the people of their satellite countries to learn English in school, they would have had a MUCH bigger and, thus better, field from which to choose candidates for their roster of spies! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: stl76

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Not sure if it's been posted, but more info on Quinton Burns:

Additionally, more info on Mayich:

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Not sure if it's been posted, but more info on Quinton Burns:

Additionally, more info on Mayich:

As always, I really appreciate the info Brock!

BTW, who do you think has a higher NHL upside, Burns or Buchinger? Others have mentioned them both as 'potential 4th/5th-d-man' in the NHL, however I feel like Buchinger really took a next step last season and hopefully can be a solid second pairing D someday in the NHL.

Reactions: Drubilly

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Some interesting statistical data regarding the draft based on draft ranking vs draft position.
1. forwards 5'10" and under watched (14) all but Bedard fell 3 spots are more than their average ranking after June (38 total). 62.5% of the players watched fell 12 spots or more. 35.7% fell 48 spots or more.
2. players 5'10.25 to 5'11" watched (15) 67% fell 3% or more 40% fell 15 spots or more
3. All of the players watched (13) 6'2" or better watched aside from Matthew Wood (.29 drop from average ranking) ranked in the first two rounds were picked over their average ranking. Of the remaining players watched, 39% fell in the draft from their average ranking. All but one of the fallers (that being Stancl -.5) fell 12.9 points or more.
4. 73% of the Fins fell from their average ranking (11 watched)
5. No data shows Russians fell in general that I show (8 watched) 50%
6. USHL (11 watched) 73.7 fell from rankings
7. WHL (24 watched) 62.5% fell from rankings
8. Points per game had no statistical data either way high or low varying enough to make a conclusion
9. 77% of players watched (26) with a 4.0 or less skate tool as defined by EP hockey fell in the draft
10 68% of players watched (19) with a 6.5 or better skate tool as defined by EP hockey FELL in the draft
11. Low hockey sense 4.5 or less as defined by EP had no data either way, but of the 15 players averaging in the top 100 66% IMPROVED their draft position with 80% being 10 spots or more. (???)
12 High hockey sense 6.5 or better (17) as defined by EP 70% FELL from average ranking compared to when drafted
13. Low Physical tool 4.0 (15) or less as defined by EP 87% fell from their average ranking compared to when drafted.

Interesting anyway.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
As always, I really appreciate the info Brock!

BTW, who do you think has a higher NHL upside, Burns or Buchinger? Others have mentioned them both as 'potential 4th/5th-d-man' in the NHL, however I feel like Buchinger really took a next step last season and hopefully can be a solid second pairing D someday in the NHL.

Definitely Buchinger. Better skater. Better playmaker.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think that is a very realistic expectation. In reality, Buchinger and Burns could actually form a pretty good third pairing in the future if their development goes according to plan. They would complement each other very well.
Do either have experience playing their offside?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser , I’m curious what your thoughts on Susuyev are, if you have any.
He is a rather raw prospect, but has the right kind of tools and athleticism to be legit and if we are talking about the 7th round then I'd even say it is a steal. I must admit I have my skepticism about that type of raw prospects, but in 4 years when his KHL contract ends it might be a different story.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It really feels like this draft was about prioritizing pro experience, which aligns with the goal to “re-tool” rather than full-on tank. All three of our 1sts had games in a pro league this year, and Lindstein played a handful last year too. Stancl, Susuyev, and Pekarcic all had games in men’s leagues as well. Obviously our North American draftees don’t have that, but for our European kids, that seemed to be an important qualifier. I wonder if the plan is to have these guys play out their teens in the euro leagues, and then be in Springfield. Maybe we will see some of them sooner.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
He is a rather raw prospect, but has the right kind of tools and athleticism to be legit and if we are talking about the 7th round then I'd even say it is a steal. I must admit I have my skepticism about that type of raw prospects, but in 4 years when his KHL contract ends it might be a different story.
Thanks as always, your insight is always appreciated!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It really feels like this draft was about prioritizing pro experience, which aligns with the goal to “re-tool” rather than full-on tank. All three of our 1sts had games in a pro league this year, and Lindstein played a handful last year too. Stancl, Susuyev, and Pekarcic all had games in men’s leagues as well. Obviously our North American draftees don’t have that, but for our European kids, that seemed to be an important qualifier. I wonder if the plan is to have these guys play out their teens in the euro leagues, and then be in Springfield. Maybe we will see some of them sooner.

I don’t know if the focus was on pro experience. I just think it is how it worked out.

With Lindstein, go read his thread in the main boards prospects. Some of the comments prior to the season stated he was one of 2 dmen that was expected to go in the 1st. Then the season happened and things chanced.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I keep watching videos of Stenberg, Dvorsky, and Lindstein. And I'm starting to see a lot of similarities between them and NHL players.

It might be because I keep seeing it, but defensively especially puck handling. Lindstein has a lot of Pietrangelo in his game.

I originally thought RoR for Dvorsky. But the more I watch the more I'm reminded of Horvat with the defensive responsibilities of RoR.

Stenberg is just a Steen clone.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I keep watching videos of Stenberg, Dvorsky, and Lindstein. And I'm starting to see a lot of similarities between them and NHL players.

It might be because I keep seeing it, but defensively especially puck handling. Lindstein has a lot of Pietrangelo in his game.

I originally thought RoR for Dvorsky. But the more I watch the more I'm reminded of Horvat with the defensive responsibilities of RoR.

Stenberg is just a Steen clone.
can you link any good video's?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Before WWII it was common for many eastern Slovakians to speak, in addition to Slovakian, Czechish, Galizianer Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian, German. After The Russians helped The Communists take over, Russian was the main foreign language studied in schools. German was no longer taught in schools (and maybe not French (I'm not sure). My cousins in eastern Czechoslovakia in the 1930s were totally fluent in all of those, plus Yiddish, and were able also to get along in Russian, Serbian, standard Polish, and Roumanian. And they were just normal people, - not linguistI
I had dinner once (Knights of the Cauliflower Ear) with Peter Stasny. He spoke many languages, and told me how close his home was to other countries in central Europe and that it was necessary to learn other languages to get around. He learned French when he was with Quebec and was fluent in English too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad