Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Before season started thought we were among best teams in league. Few weeks in I thought I was wrong, we were bad. By a January thought maybe not bad but certainly not good. Now I again think we could be really good. Am I wrong again?
We're no unbeatable good but between the top teams and the good teams....

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It depends how for real Binnington is. If he can be the guy, then we are really good and will be able to matchup with anyone. With him playing like a #1 goalie we really don’t have a glaring weakness. No roster is perfect (ok maybe Tampa’s is) but ours is good.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Its been great to see a couple of unheralded guys from our own organization come in and play well. I am referring to Binnington and Sundqvist. Keep it up, boys. I'm enjoying your success.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really hope Binnington is our Corey Crawford and not an Andrew Hammond type. If Binnington is legit moving forward, then I really like our chances the next few seasons, and feel confident that the big guys will come back.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
We’re now 10 points back of Nashville with 4 games in hand. I don’t realistically expect to catch them but it’s insane to me that we’re even within sight of them after the start we had.
Agree that it's pretty crazy that we're this close. But I do think we can catch them. With 4 games in hand on them and additionally we still play a game vs them later this month, it's definitely realistic imo. Reaching Winnipeg might be a stretch, but we have two games on them as well. Winnipeg and Nashville haven't been playing that great lately so we at least have that going for us as well.

I do expect us to come back to earth at least a little bit here over the course of the next three games as playing in MIN and COL have been a little scary for us in the past and you never know what Leafs team you're gonna get. But if we somehow pull away with 3 wins, I'll actually lose my s***.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agree that it's pretty crazy that we're this close. But I do think we can catch them. With 4 games in hand on them and additionally we still play a game vs them later this month, it's definitely realistic imo. Reaching Winnipeg might be a stretch, but we have two games on them as well. Winnipeg and Nashville haven't been playing that great lately so we at least have that going for us as well.

I do expect us to come back to earth at least a little bit here over the course of the next three games as playing in MIN and COL have been a little scary for us in the past and you never know what Leafs team you're gonna get. But if we somehow pull away with 3 wins, I'll actually lose my s***.
Catching Nashville is still highly unlikely. Jets even moreso. I would be thrilled if we settled into 3 seed and got Preds in 1st round rather than Jets or Sharks.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The 4 games in hand should project to 5 points most likely. Nashville would have to go on a skid for the Blues to realistically overtake them. It would be a nice moral victory, but I don’t think home ice is that important with this team, as opposed to going in feeling good and healthy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Finishing in 3rd with 95+ points would be a huge accomplishment. We are close to being on that pace as it is. Depending on how we finish the final 26 games, we could roll into the playoffs like the Kings in 2012.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The 4 games in hand should project to 5 points most likely. Nashville would have to go on a skid for the Blues to realistically overtake them. It would be a nice moral victory, but I don’t think home ice is that important with this team, as opposed to going in feeling good and healthy.
We damn near swept Minnesota without home ice advantage. We also punted Dallas out of the playoffs game 7 in their barn.

Players may talk it up, but ultimately it doesnt matter

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What is it this time?
Not one thing, it's everything. Very superficial. For someone who sees most of the games and many practices and spends good deal of time around team you would think he would pick up more insight.

Here are a couple of my favorites: "I like Gunnarsson over Bouwmeester because he's younger and he played really well when he's been in the lineup. BUT gosh, Gunnarsson can't stay healthy, which almost makes you want to take Bouwmeester over him. I just can't do it, though. You don't know when Bouwmeester, who will be 36 in September, will have more hip trouble, etc, or just fall off the map. So I'm going to re-sign Gunnarsson for a year. I would probably let Bouwmeester go to free agency, unless he finishes the year strong and wants to come back on the cheap next season. And Maroon, I don't think they're going to trade him now because they're playing well and he's a part of it. Same thing, if he finishes strong and wants to come back, you think about. But he may want to get paid after taking a below-market deal last summer, and I'd be careful to go high with him."

"As far as your question about moving out a forward prospect for a defensive prospect, I don't know … I don't think so. I feel like they've got a few good prospects with Reinke, Mikkola, Walman and Perunovich. Sure they've got more forward prospects with Kyrou, Blais, Kostin, Bokk, but you don't know which ones are going to make it and when they're going to be regulars. So I feel like the Blues have some good balance in their system right now."

"I like Zuccarello, but I read recently that New York is getting some decent offers on him, so the price might be too high."

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
JR’s substance comes from the media’s post game interviews. I basically hear the same things I can watch on the he Blues app. There is original content I can get from JR on players personal situations, but other than that, there is no additional content.

The writers at the Post are useless. They are mediocre fans and we have a group of posters here that are more knowledgeable.

Evan Sporer is my favorite writer that covers the Blues. He brings an analytical approach that brings new information to me as a fan. Everyone else just brings recycled sound bytes and commentary. It’s not particularly inspired.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
JR’s substance comes from the media’s post game interviews. I basically hear the same things I can watch on the he Blues app. There is original content I can get from JR on players personal situations, but other than that, there is no additional content.

The writers at the Post are useless. They are mediocre fans and we have a group of posters here that are more knowledgeable.

Evan Sporer is my favorite writer that covers the Blues. He brings an analytical approach that brings new information to me as a fan. Everyone else just brings recycled sound bytes and commentary. It’s not particularly inspired.
Mediocre Post writers do not make JR anymore worthwhile. They both stink. I don’t care about profile pieces, though that’s just my preference.

Thanks for mentioning Sporer, I’ll check him out.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Jesus, how can anyone say the Blues should even think of bringing Maroon back?

Honestly, there's a long list of people that want us to bring back Maroon... :naughty:
Let's sum it up with anybody who has watched the Blues play and doesn't cheer for them.

I've got to believe that most fans of the other 30 teams in the league are praying the Blues sign Maroon to a long term deal and give him a full NMC, so their GM doesn't even get the option of ever acquiring him. Blues lose a roster spot and cap for a player that has limited upside on a playoff team...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The team has really set the league on fire. Though they may be running out of gas playing so many games. This is where Berube has to start rotating guys in to keep guys rested. I'm very pleased with how the depth is picking it up. Guys like Sundqvist, Barbs and Sanford are great depth to have. MacMac needs more time but he's tracking in that direction too.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad