Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Oh you and your stats.....:blah:

On a serious note. It doesnt feel like he's even on pace for that. He use to be so damn dangerous, but they arent going in. Goalies seem to be correctly playing percentages with him

He needs to one-time some pucks. I don't care if he cranks 20 of them and only scores once. Goalies need to know that when the puck is coming to him, there is a chance he is going to just fire it instead of trying to dust it off and hit a corner. Goalies have done their homework and aren't exploding over to protect against a one timer. They are comfortable getting over slightly later in order to be more square when they get there. His shot is good enough to beat goalies when they are square, but he'd have more net to shoot at if goalies felt the need to get over as quick as possible like they do any time the puck is directed towards Ovechkin.

Goalies open up when they are worried about having to cover for a one timer. Or they overslide. Either way, he'd have more to shoot at when he does try to pick a corner if he was just cranking one timers 15% of the time.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
What if, O'Reilly really is a cancer like Colorado and Buffalo fans said? That would be the Bluesiest thing to happen.
The thought that maybe he isnt that great has crossed my mind, but it doesnt seem to mesh with any objective evidence. IMO he is a little careless with the puck sometimes, especially along the boards. Maybe its him or maybe its his teammates not moving (a distinct possibility), but sometimes he jsut shovels it off of the boards towards the center of the ice when nobody is there.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeo has gone mental lol

Sanford O'Reilly Perron
Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen Bozak Maroon
Blais Barby/Thomas Kyrou
I actually don’t hate it tbh.

I thought Sanford had a really good game against the Habs so I'm happy to see him get rewarded for it. Sucks that it's at the expense of Kyrou, but I'd like to see what Sanford can show with some better linemates.
This. And, Kyrou had a couple scoring chances that he didn’t bury. I feel like maybe him and Thomas will develop some chemistry so that’s a good 4th line. The 2nd line should also produce, and I like the idea of Perron with ROR.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I actually don’t hate it tbh.

This. And, Kyrou had a couple scoring chances that he didn’t bury. I feel like maybe him and Thomas will develop some chemistry so that’s a good 4th line. The 2nd line should also produce, and I like the idea of Perron with ROR.
We've seen Kyrou increase his assertion as he's gotten more ice time. Dropping him back to the 4th line isnt going to help. I havnt seen any reason for him to lose ice time

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We've seen Kyrou increase his assertion as he's gotten more ice time. Dropping him back to the 4th line isnt going to help. I havnt seen any reason for him to lose ice time
Competition for ice time. He needs to start converting on the chances he gets and then maybe he’ll get more. I’d like to see more of Sanford too.

Ideally Kyrou would be on the 3rd line but whatever. We aren’t winning games so his ice time isn’t at the top of my concerns.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Competition for ice time. He needs to start converting on the chances he gets and then maybe he’ll get more. I’d like to see more of Sanford too.

Ideally Kyrou would be on the 3rd line but whatever. We aren’t winning games so his ice time isn’t at the top of my concerns.
Yea, that would have to apply to everyone though and Schenn/Perron would be the only forwards with top ice time. Kyrou generates chances though, he needs to be out there

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m not sure that’s the 4th line...or at least I think we might see them get some more favorable zone starts and more minutes.

I don’t understand the criticism of Yeo over making these changes. He has to change something. The defensive pairings suggest Bouwmeester might get scratched. The forward lines, I’d like to see this in a game, but it depends a bit on how the zone starts are apportioned. I also wonder if Sanford is warming up a place for Fabbri eventually (soon).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m not sure that’s the 4th line...or at least I think we might see them get some more favorable zone starts and more minutes.

I don’t understand the criticism of Yeo over making these changes. He has to change something. The defensive pairings suggest Bouwmeester might get scratched. The forward lines, I’d like to see this in a game, but it depends a bit on how the zone starts are apportioned. I also wonder if Sanford is warming up a place for Fabbri eventually (soon).
Nah, ice time has reflected that's the 4th. I'm just saying Kyrou didnt deserve the demotion

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If Jerabek plays against the Leafs, expect at least 6 GA. Why did we waste a pick on him? He's not even an NHL calibre defenseman.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
From such hope just a month ago to so much despair now.

Thanks Yeo and the veterans...you make being a Blues fan an ailment rather than a passion.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Kyrou whiffed on an open net chance when we needed a goal, showing that he isn't ready for 1st line duties on a struggling team. He's also played a lot of minutes and could use a bit of a break both mentally and physically.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
it kills me to see everyone ok with moving the kids down and not letting them get playing time. This is a huge problem for the Blues they do not let there kids play and develop there NHL game. Are they going to make mistakes yes, they are new to the league but if you really want to see what they have you have to allow for that. Then its the coaching staffs job to explain and show them how to fix it. Kyrou has been solid and the more he plays the faster he can slow the game down for himself. then he will bury chances, same thing for Thomas but if you are not playing you cannot slow the game down.

EDIT: Also I don't think we would be as upset if they where playing the kids more.. and still losing, as of right now its not on the kids its on the DZ scheme.. that coaches should be fixing

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Kyrou whiffed on an open net chance when we needed a goal, showing that he isn't ready for 1st line duties on a struggling team. He's also played a lot of minutes and could use a bit of a break both mentally and physically.

You can’t be serious. That was not his fault in the slightest. A puck in his feet that cane flying out of a pile? That’s hard as hell to one time.

Not to mention he was one of our most dangerous offensive forwards. He deserves more ice time, not less.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Early last season, Schenn and Schwartz were killing it on offense, and people we talking about Pietrangelo as a leading candidate for the Norris trophy. The team won a bunch of games, and looked great - but it didn't last.

I expected Parayko and Tarasenko to be stars in this league by now, and they aren't.

As Hitch was fond of saying, our best players have to be our best players in order to win, and they haven't been.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Early last season, Schenn and Schwartz were killing it on offense, and people we talking about Pietrangelo as a leading candidate for the Norris trophy. The team won a bunch of games, and looked great - but it didn't last.

I expected Parayko and Tarasenko to be stars in this league by now, and they aren't.

As Hitch was fond of saying, our best players have to be our best players in order to win, and they haven't been.

On a POD cast that Cam J does he discussed CP55 and how when he first came in the league him and a lot of players and former players thought he was going to be the next big thing. Now he is saying he has taken 2 steps back from his rookie year and cannot figure out why. IMO CP55 has not been bad do we expect more yes and I still think its the scheme they are trying to play that is why we are seeing the "lost look" in the DZ

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If we are going to split up ROR and tarasenko then I want to see matchup lines not this mishmash.

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen ROR Perron
Maroon Bozak Kyrou
Barbashev/Thomas/Blais/Sanford combo

Maybe once Fabbri returns we can run a more dynamic second line or more diverse offensive lineup

Fabbri ROR Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Bozak Perron
Maroon young guys

In terms of defense I would like to see Jbo on the pine (can we LTIR him for lack of personality?)
Dunn Petro
Eddy Parayko
Schmaltz Bortuzzo
Jerabek in minors and gunny as 7D. Try to move Jbo if you can.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I haven’t even discussed the PP but I’m not a fan at all of our two groups. Maroon shouldn’t be on PP1 and Steen shouldn’t be on any PP.

Dunn Schenn ROR Schwartz Tank PP1
Parayko Bozak Maroon Perron Kyrou PP2

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
it kills me to see everyone ok with moving the kids down and not letting them get playing time. This is a huge problem for the Blues they do not let there kids play and develop there NHL game. Are they going to make mistakes yes, they are new to the league but if you really want to see what they have you have to allow for that. Then its the coaching staffs job to explain and show them how to fix it. Kyrou has been solid and the more he plays the faster he can slow the game down for himself. then he will bury chances, same thing for Thomas but if you are not playing you cannot slow the game down.

EDIT: Also I don't think we would be as upset if they where playing the kids more.. and still losing, as of right now its not on the kids its on the DZ scheme.. that coaches should be fixing
It looks like he’s consolidating them onto a ‘kid line’. I’d like to see how he uses that first. I think that could be a great energy line that opponents have a hard time matching. And there is the advantage where the rookies have no subconscious tendency to defer to the established stars. I took it as a vote of confidence in their defense, that he is no longer afraid to put them together.

Reactions: Chief Steele
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad