Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I haven’t even discussed the PP but I’m not a fan at all of our two groups. Maroon shouldn’t be on PP1 and Steen shouldn’t be on any PP.

Dunn Schenn ROR Schwartz Tank PP1
Parayko Bozak Maroon Perron Kyrou PP2
While that may be true, the PP is the one ting that is producing reasonably well right now. I can forgive him for not screwing with that at the moment.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
It looks like he’s consolidating them onto a ‘kid line’. I’d like to see how he uses that first. I think that could be a great energy line that opponents have a hard time matching. And there is the advantage where the rookies have no subconscious tendency to defer to the established stars. I took it as a vote of confidence in their defense, that he is no longer afraid to put them together.

Very good point, my only grip will be if they play less than 8 mins, and considering how bad it could get fast.. there is a good chance that will happen.

And I am happy to agree with you on this. like I said we will see tonight this could be the breaking point for Army.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
While that may be true, the PP is the one ting that is producing reasonably well right now. I can forgive him for not screwing with that at the moment.
While it is productive, does it feel like it? Most of the goals are unforced error or scored off of a broken play. A goal is a goal but the PP still looks awful to me.

Idk why they keep using maroon as they do he pivots to the side of the net waaaaay before he should, they telegraph what they are doing. You have RHS on the right and LHS on the left......

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
While it is productive, does it feel like it? Most of the goals are unforced error or scored off of a broken play. A goal is a goal but the PP still looks awful to me.

Idk why they keep using maroon as they do he pivots to the side of the net waaaaay before he should, they telegraph what they are doing. You have RHS on the right and LHS on the left......

I have to agree with both of you on this. the PP is supposed to take advantage of broken plays and unforced errors. so it is running ok with that in mind, now the other part is at times they look amazing yet no one wants to shoot, Marron should not be trying to pull a Pauile S and that is what it seems like he is doing. When Stas was here he made the same play, Marron should have his butt in front of the goalie plain and simple. and they finally have the RH shooters they said they needed last year and they still are using them wrong.. again back to coaching failures.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I’m simply imagining a chalkboard with a prioritized list of all the crises right now. PP isn’t close to the top. If that doesn’t get attention in practice this week, that’s probably for the best.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I’m sorry but I don’t see why Sanford earned top 6 minutes after 1 game against Montreal and Kyrou was demoted. Yes, Kyrou missed a scoring chance but he’s also the reason Steen has two goals instead of 1 and Schmaltz whiffed on a great pass from Kyrou. The kid has legit talent and just needs to develop chemistry with a tandem. I also don’t see how Thomas never got a look in the top 6 if Sanford earned it after only one decent game. Yes, Thomas has been hesitant and lacked confidence but Sanford didn’t exactly light the world on fire. This is a double standard to me. Also, this screams of desperation on Yeo’s part. He’s got to be feeling heat. The defensive scheme going from man to man to zone and back is probably what’s confusing these guys. That and the double standards between veterans and younger players as far as performance. None of the veteran forwards outside of O’Reilly, Perron, Bozak, and Schwartz have been great. Steen has two goals thanks to Kyrou and a tip. Bortuzzo, Pietrangelo, and Bouwmeester have not been good to start the year. Borts had 1 good game but has been awful otherwise. 27 and 19 haven’t been good either. That pair needs to stop being a pair. Bouw deserved to sit long before Dunn and in truth, I think he’s compromised in some way. Jerabek should never see NHL ice again. Schmaltz and Dunn, outside of one gaff on Dunn’s part, played well. This team’s primary problem is defensive scheme right now and a it seems like a concentration on trying to score which probably comes from being down a lot in these games. If they lose to Toronto and Winnipeg, I don’t see Yeo still being the coach. They are falling behind fast.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m simply imagining a chalkboard with a prioritized list of all the crises right now. PP isn’t close to the top. If that doesn’t get attention in practice this week, that’s probably for the best.
Your right, I just envision them using it as a example of "things that are good" when they are scoring of off more luck then actual structure.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I have to agree with both of you on this. the PP is supposed to take advantage of broken plays and unforced errors. so it is running ok with that in mind, now the other part is at times they look amazing yet no one wants to shoot, Marron should not be trying to pull a Pauile S and that is what it seems like he is doing. When Stas was here he made the same play, Marron should have his butt in front of the goalie plain and simple. and they finally have the RH shooters they said they needed last year and they still are using them wrong.. again back to coaching failures.
While I agree, the Blues arent forcing the breakdown, it's a scramble to get to the puck, and luckily the Blues are getting possession 1st. I guess I just think the PP can dry up fairly easily. The puck movement is slow and sloppy.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
You can’t be serious. That was not his fault in the slightest. A puck in his feet that cane flying out of a pile? That’s hard as hell to one time.

Not to mention he was one of our most dangerous offensive forwards. He deserves more ice time, not less.

:) I was being harsh on him like the broadcasters were, and apparently Yeo is. I think him dropping to the 4th has more to do with chemistry and rest than anything. He could also spark that line.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Kyrou would almost certainly be a PITA for teams on the PP. The sooner we get him started there, the better. It will upset a veteran, but so what.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Kyrou would almost certainly be a PITA for teams on the PP. The sooner we get him started there, the better. It will upset a veteran, but so what.
At this point, no veteran should be upset as many of them, mainly the ones with letters on their jerseys have underperformed. Steen shouldn’t sniff the PP anymore and that stupid play to Maroon down low needs to stop. Just park your big body in front of the goalie and don’t move. Kyrou and Thomad have legit top 6 talent. It’s time to let them play, especially Kyrou. Siding with veterans amd catering to veterans is why Yeo failed in Minnesota. His piss poor scheme and reliance on veterans while not really treating young players the same is happening again here.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
At this point, no veteran should be upset as many of them, mainly the ones with letters on their jerseys have underperformed. Steen shouldn’t sniff the PP anymore and that stupid play to Maroon down low needs to stop. Just park your big body in front of the goalie and don’t move. Kyrou and Thomad have legit top 6 talent. It’s time to let them play, especially Kyrou. Siding with veterans amd catering to veterans is why Yeo failed in Minnesota. His piss poor scheme and reliance on veterans while not really treating young players the same is happening again here.

Last year is a great example of this.. When Paulie walnuts left they should have plugged a young player in the 2nd C and ran with it. Army had pretty much given up hope on the PO.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I haven’t even discussed the PP but I’m not a fan at all of our two groups. Maroon shouldn’t be on PP1 and Steen shouldn’t be on any PP.

Dunn Schenn ROR Schwartz Tank PP1
Parayko Bozak Maroon Perron Kyrou PP2
Is this the same Steen who made beautiful play to set up Schenn for PP goal against Montreal?

Reactions: SteveR85

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Is this the same Steen who made beautiful play to set up Schenn for PP goal against Montreal?
Yes the one and same one play doesn’t make it worth him staying on the PP. we have better options with offensive creativity. Mostly it’s his lack of speed and poor puck handling in tight (unless he’s scooting around the boards) that makes him less useful.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Yes the one and same one play doesn’t make it worth him staying on the PP. we have better options with offensive creativity. Mostly it’s his lack of speed and poor puck handling in tight (unless he’s scooting around the boards) that makes him less useful.
Idk, there is a lot of blaming Yeo for everything around here, just because the PP unit isn't precisely what someone on here wants doesn't mean your right and he's wrong, or vice versa. Its one player on a unit of 5, a unit that has been fairly productive, but it's a long season and things will change.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Yeo has gone mental lol

Sanford O'Reilly Perron
Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen Bozak Maroon
Blais Barby/Thomas Kyrou
Keep the third line as they worked well together against the Habs. Schwartz and Schenn can carry Tarasenko until he figures out how to play well with others. Sanford on 1st line? Really hope Fabbri can get back soon.

Reactions: Dbrownss

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Keep the third line as they worked well together against the Habs. Schwartz and Schenn can carry Tarasenko until he figures out how to play well with others. Sanford on 1st line? Really hope Fabbri can get back soon.
While he may play there for a game or two, I feel like Sanford in that slot is actually a placeholder for Fabbri until he is ready to return to the lineup. That would allow you to leave your 2nd and 3rd lines alone instead of moving multiple guys to accommodate his return to the lineup.

Hitch got a lot of grief, most of it well deserved, for his frequent "line blending." Still, you have to give him credit that when a Top 9 player dropped out of the lineup dealing with a short-term issue, he was pretty good early on about not shuffling multiple lines and just inserting the "next guy up" into the spot being vacated.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Idk, there is a lot of blaming Yeo for everything around here, just because the PP unit isn't precisely what someone on here wants doesn't mean your right and he's wrong, or vice versa. Its one player on a unit of 5, a unit that has been fairly productive, but it's a long season and things will change.
Can I blame the head coach for being 1-5 with 2 OTL? Or should we just get rid of all the players on the Blues and AHL since Yeo can't win?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Can I blame the head coach for being 1-5 with 2 OTL? Or should we just get rid of all the players on the Blues and AHL since Yeo can't win?
Sure you can! Doesn't mean that a slow start with 5-6 new players on the roster means everything is completely Yeos fault.

As I have said, if there isn't improvement in the next 4 games, he could easily be gone. But just because axeing him is the easiest move doesn't mean it's going to solve our problems. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't , but the play on the ice so far indicates to me that we might have other issues.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Sure you can! Doesn't mean that a slow start with 5-6 new players on the roster means everything is completely Yeos fault.

As I have said, if there isn't improvement in the next 4 games, he could easily be gone. But just because axeing him is the easiest move doesn't mean it's going to solve our problems. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't , but the play on the ice so far indicates to me that we might have other issues.

Unfortunately for Yeo, this slow start very much looks like his fault do to his defensive scheme. Even former players are saying it’s outdated for today’s game. Now, whether it’s Yeo listening to Van Ryn and Berube or it’s Yeo’s plan, ultimately, he’s the head coach and it lands on him. This team has too much talent to be playing the way they are and it’s not a lack of trying. Yeo’s system is just old and outdated right now. On top of that, his offensive scheme seems non-existent. It’s time for Armstrong to move away from the defensive minded coaches and move toward an offensive one. Give this team a completely different perspective.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Unfortunately for Yeo, this slow start very much looks like his fault do to his defensive scheme. Even former players are saying it’s outdated for today’s game. Now, whether it’s Yeo listening to Van Ryn and Berube or it’s Yeo’s plan, ultimately, he’s the head coach and it lands on him. This team has too much talent to be playing the way they are and it’s not a lack of trying. Yeo’s system is just old and outdated right now. On top of that, his offensive scheme seems non-existent. It’s time for Armstrong to move away from the defensive minded coaches and move toward an offensive one. Give this team a completely different perspective.
Blaming the scheme is a straw man, the Blues issues thru the first 6 games run deeper than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad