Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I have no idea what the Blues' record is on the 2nd night of back-to-backs, but how many times last year did they have several days off and then came out absolutely flat? From what I remember, that seemed to happen a lot.

I understand the point of the article but I've already posted a lot about why I believe the Blues are a safe playoff bet so I won't go into it any further.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues were very good on B2Bs for whatever reason. If I read right, they have several 6 in 9s? That's f***ing brutal. I dont feel like breaking the schedual down but hopefully those are early on. Get the boys going early on.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don’t have a problem with Dom’s model. It’s a model and pretty accurately points at the weak points/risk areas IMO.

It’s no surprise that a lot depends on Jake Allen this season. Time will tell. Goaltending will very likely be the biggest X factor for the Blues this season.

Other risk areas are:

Special teams - both PP and PK were bad last year - lots of new bodies this year. Will they be better? Was the problem coaching? If so, will the coaches try something better this year?

Injury risk - every team has this risk but I’d say the Blues a little more than average with so many guys returning from off-season surgery (Tarasenko, Fabbri, Maroon, Bouw, Gunnar)

4th line - how much will they miss Brodz? Will they go with a more traditional 4th line or more offensive one with Thomas centering? Will that work? If not Thomas, can one of Barbs, Sundqvist or Sanford be a good 4C?

Coaching - is Yeo good enough? The D seemed to really miss Brad Shaw last season. Can Van Ryn get them back to the top of the pack? Can they figure out how to run an effective PP and PK? I have my doubts, especially the PP.

Lots of things that could make this team sink or swim.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Blues were very good on B2Bs for whatever reason. If I read right, they have several 6 in 9s? That's ****ing brutal. I dont feel like breaking the schedual down but hopefully those are early on. Get the boys going early on.

Last 6 games of the season are in a span of 9 days. So not all get out early. Hopefully we are comfortably in the playoffs during that end stretch.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don’t have a problem with Dom’s model. It’s a model and pretty accurately points at the weak points/risk areas IMO.

It’s no surprise that a lot depends on Jake Allen this season. Time will tell. Goaltending will very likely be the biggest X factor for the Blues this season.

Other risk areas are:

Special teams - both PP and PK were bad last year - lots of new bodies this year. Will they be better? Was the problem coaching? If so, will the coaches try something better this year?

Injury risk - every team has this risk but I’d say the Blues a little more than average with so many guys returning from off-season surgery (Tarasenko, Fabbri, Maroon, Bouw, Gunnar)

4th line - how much will they miss Brodz? Will they go with a more traditional 4th line or more offensive one with Thomas centering? Will that work? If not Thomas, can one of Barbs, Sundqvist or Sanford be a good 4C?

Coaching - is Yeo good enough? The D seemed to really miss Brad Shaw last season. Can Van Ryn get them back to the top of the pack? Can they figure out how to run an effective PP and PK? I have my doubts, especially the PP.

Lots of things that could make this team sink or swim.
Wasn't the defense good until the scoring dried up? Then it put a good bit of pressure on them to keep the score low.

I know next to nothing about Van Ryn, but Yeo and Burube can't have a long leash. Burube was helping at traverse and it was brutal. Yeo did the worlds and was awful with Mcdavid. I remember JRs article that Van Ryn would be "happy" to do the PP but it was insinuated he's not a 1st option given he's doing the defense and PK. Personal wasnt the issue with the PP, the coaches were.

Reactions: Majorityof1

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Wasn't the defense good until the scoring dried up? Then it put a good bit of pressure on them to keep the score low.

I know next to nothing about Van Ryn, but Yeo and Burube can't have a long leash. Burube was helping at traverse and it was brutal. Yeo did the worlds and was awful with Mcdavid. I remember JRs article that Van Ryn would be "happy" to do the PP but it was insinuated he's not a 1st option given he's doing the defense and PK. Personal wasnt the issue with the PP, the coaches were.

That’s fair. Re-reading what I wrote, I meant to tie Shaw more to the regression of the PK than just the D play overall but yeah, once the offense dried up and Allen got shaky, the D also seemed to start pressing.

But conversely, I could see the argument that perhaps at least part of the offense drying up is the offense from the D drying up. The D was very engaged in the offense early in the season but then that waned. Was that a cause or symptom? IDK, maybe a little of both.

But yes, my sense is that a lot of the problem was coaching, not so much personnel as well.

Reactions: Dbrownss

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Toropchenko with the tap-in goal. Very nice cross-ice feed from Mikkola and good patience play by Kostin before that to get the puck to Mikkola. Kostin should’ve gotten an assist there.

Edit: pulled a Robb. Not seeing how to delete this post...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Is that safe?! :eek:
Yes lol. It's very boring, involves holding the mig gun in one spot at a certain angle for 30min as the tank rolls. Only requires one hand for the most part and you can tell my sound if you get off the seam and onto the shell. So I can watch on my phone which is sitting next to me and periodically look at what I'm actually supposed to be doing :D

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Yes lol. It's very boring, involves holding the mig gun in one spot at a certain angle for 30min as the tank rolls. Only requires one hand for the most part and you can tell my sound if you get off the seam and onto the shell. So I can watch on my phone which is sitting next to me and periodically look at what I'm actually supposed to be doing :D

LOL, they NDT those seams?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
And you want to be my latex salesman welder?

fj35216.jpg

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'd rather see a squirrel run across the ice.

Well yeah, I think we all would. Squirrels are highly entertaining and I can think of far better uses for a strategically released squirrel than just out on the ice. You see squirrel highjinks are at peak hilarity when the squirrel feels it's trapped. You get a ×5 multiplier if it also happens to be a small area with lots of breakable stuff in it. They could let one go in the broadcast booth with Kerber and find out just how quickly an old guy can leap up from a sitting position. I would have no choice but to give that type of entertainment effort 2 thumbs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad